Chapter 72

You Who Came From The Stars

After Lay took Luhan away, Suho went to look for Angel and D.O. took that opportunity to slip away. He went straight to the cooking stall and challenged the chef to see if his cooking skills had improved any. He had a great time making kimchi spaghetti and he won the challenge – although, he rather thought the girls voting for him were more interested in his looks than the food.

Not that he cared, he was too busy discussing the finer details of the art of cuisine with the chef, a culinary major.

'Add a dash of cinnamon and it's a whole new flavor.' The chef told him, referring to banana loaf. They were talking about baking now.

'It wouldn't mess up the recipe?' D.O. quizzed. That was a risk he hated taking.

'Ah but the recipe is just a basic outline…' the chef replied. 'What's cooking without a little experimentation?"

D.O. supposed that was true. He liked experimenting, although it didn't often turn out well.

'I'm sure you'll be fine!' The guy slapped his back, then leaned closer. 'I'll give you a tip – let your nose be your guide.'

'Hmm?' D.O. leaned closer as well.

'You see, our nose is really related with our perception of taste and if something smells good, we believe it will also taste good. You feel me?'

D.O. nodded, eyes wide, completely engrossed.

'So… when you're cooking, just try to smell things out – see which scents go together. You can never go wrong with that.' The chef gave a firm nod, crossing his arms proudly over his chest. 'That's how I work and my recipes always please my teachers.'

'I'll keep that in mind.' D.O. muttered softly, mind already engrossed in the ways he would experiment with all that food waiting in the kitchen. He suppressed a chuckle from escaping his lips and looked at the chef. 'Thanks for your help.'

'S…sure.'

D.O. sensed the reek of fear that suddenly rose from the chef and turned. It was a familiar smell – one he, for some obscure reason, elicited from others without even meaning to. Chen had told him it was because he looked like an evil lord planning world domination when he smiled like that.

Well, whether he'd scared the chef or not was irrelevant because he had to go back and start experimenting. Tonight, the Legends would finally taste the success of culinary skills.

Ignoring the wide berth he was being given, D.O. marched towards the exit and then, waited for the road to clear so he could cross. He repeated the chef's tips while he waited.

Let your nose be your guide… to see which scents go together… you can never go wrong with that…

He was engrossed in his thoughts when there was a tap on his shoulder.

Accompanied by the most delicious scent he'd ever scented. One that made a shiver go down his spine and his fingers itch with the urge to grab onto its owner and devour it in one bite like a slice of cheese. Ooh, this was a scent that'd go so well with him…

Not realizing that his eyes had turned red, or that his evil-lord-planning-world-domination-smile was firmly back in place, he turned, ready to dine.

……………………….

Raina watched Angel go off with her boyfriend, then turned to Kyra. 'You're really going back?'

'You know I can't stay.' Kyra was already gathering her things. 'I only came over because you were crying.'

'Pretend crying.' Raina corrected her. 'I figured I'd wing it if you didn't show up.'

'Really? Then you can do just that because I can't come again.'

'Stick.' Raina told her, taunting her. 'In the mud.'

'Head.' Kyra retorted, not budging. 'In the air.'

'Fine, I'll try to find the Mickey Mouse again.' Raina sighed, handing her the handbag.

'Mickey Mouse?' Kyra giggled. 'Who's that?'

'Don't know.' Raina shrugged. 'But he was wearing Mickey ears… and he was rather good at reading.'

'Really? When?' Since it was really rare to meet actual Seers like herself, Kyra was immediately interested.

'When you went to buy lunch.' Raina replied, dragging the box to put her wig in there. She'd really pulled out all stops for this stall. Kyra had no doubt Raina would've winged it just fine because even if she couldn't See, she was really perceptive. Enough to sometimes make even Kyra wonder if she could read minds. 'I gave him a reading and he was really impressed. Then he asked me how I did it, so I gave him the standard psychic response – told him I focused on the person in front of me. So he started focusing on me like really intensely… and then he started talking in the same way you do when you See.'

'Wow.' Kyra's eyes had widened during her narration. 'Ya, you should've asked his name! I want to meet him.'

'Stay, then.' Raina smirked triumphantly.

'Agh!' Kyra rubbed the back of her neck, feeling the ache from sitting all these hours in front of the crystal ball. 'I can't. I have to get to the clinic early, to turn in my report.'

Raina shrugged indifferently, then groaned at her punch. 'Ouch, okay, okay! I'll tell you if I find him again! Geez, you've gotten violent. You aren't bringing your psychos home to room with you, are you?' She mock glared at her. 'I want my bed available at all times in case I decide to ditch uni and come back.'

'Stay put.' Kyra threatened her with her hairbrush she'd been using to settle her terribly frizzed hair. The wig had made it all sweaty. 'You're not leaving until you're done.'

'Whatever. Go away already!' Raina pushed her towards the curtain, grumbling; then sighed and hugged her. 'See you later then, mudstick.'

'Sure, airhead.'

Bidding goodbye to her best friend slash roommate for three years whom, she was probably seeing for the last time – given her recent nightmares and the terrible confirmation of her disease – Kyra made her way outside, controlling the urge to break down. She'd come here, truly, to see her friend before they parted ways forever and…

He's here!

The thought flashed through her mind, leaving a burning ache in her head – as always happened whenever she Saw something. She'd managed to control it so far but now, with her problem progressed so far, it was becoming harder and harder.

Sweat coated her brow as she focused on the origin of that thought and like being pulled by a magnet, she made her way through the crowd. Unseeing, her mind overflowing with images she had a hard time grasping and comprehending, she didn't realize where she was until she was right behind him.

Her hand stretched of its own accord and tapped his shoulder.

As suddenly as the vision had come, it all vanished and her mind suddenly shut down. Blanked like a sheet of paper as she stared into red eyes of a monster ready to attack.

A monster she was willing to be devoured by, she realized when not fear but a different kind of ache bloomed in her heart. The ache of a love lost before it was realized.

Standing in front of her, looking more crazed than a beast of prey, was the man she was destined to be with.

One would think the first words out of in such a scenario were something along romantic lines of love songs but no. The words that came out of had no bearing on her current state at all but everything, she supposed, to do with the crazy pain-filled vision she'd had moments before.

'The shadow of death lingers on yours and you'll lose it – the shade that carries parts of your soul will be carried off into the darkness and to bring it back, you'll venture into the unknown… be warned though, for pain awaits your path and will engulf you before you can be whole…'

She blinked, coming out of her trance. A group suddenly crowded around her and she took the chance to get away. Meeting him at this point in her life was the worst possible scenario she could imagine – even thinking about it was painful and she'd have to live it… along with the pain she was already going through.

Not something she could claim to look forward to. And, she supposed, a dying person could do one cowardly act without being judged too harshly. So, she did the most cowardly thing she'd ever done.

And ran away from her destiny.

…………………….

D.O. cursed the crowd that suddenly gathered around him, looking for a way through. Her scent was fast vanishing as she ran and he gave chase, unwilling to lose her so easily. He didn't realize that he was growling low in his throat or that every step he took caused the ground to shake a little as he unconsciously channeled his power.

Her hair bounced up in front of him and he cheered internally, glad to finally have the prey back in his sights. He aimed for her delicate neck, clawed fingers crashing down to grasp around it…

His breath knocked out of his body as his Shadow tackled him, rugby style and they rolled into the ground. 'Ya!' Chen slapped his face. 'Snap out of it!'

Annoyed at the slap – who was he to suddenly appear and slap him? – D.O. punched him away and started marching towards where he'd last seen her. Only to trip as Baekhyun stuck his leg out. He let out a frustrated growl and put him in a painful lock, intending to choke him. Chanyeol pried him off.

By now, her scent had completely dispersed and he sighed, disappointment heavy on his heart. He'd almost caught her…

'Seriously!' Chen panted on the ground, 'Do you even know what you were doing? What did the poor girl do to you that you were so ready to kill her?'

D.O. blinked. 'Kill?'

'Isn't that why you were foaming at the mouth and clawing at her?'

D.O. looked down at his hands, still curled into claws. He forcibly relaxed them. 'Ya, what did she say to annoy you so much?' Chanyeol asked him seriously. 'I saw her talking just before she ran.'

'Um…' Truth be told, he had no idea that she had said anything. All he'd been focused on was her scent. And the urge to prey on her. He didn't say anything but Chen got the gist of his thoughts from their link.

'It was her? Oh, I don't believe it!' he exclaimed, going into wild cackles, shaking his head. 'Wah, this is amazing!'

'What? What?' Baekhyun and Chanyeol bugged him. D.O. walked away, trying to catch that elusive scent again. But it was long gone.

Sighing, he started walking back dejectedly. And here he'd thought he would finally feel better because he had a new secret to cooking.

……………………… 

A/N

Satansoo gives me life :3