Chapter 19

You Who Came From The Stars

Lay was happy to be back in school, playing music. The piece he and Angel had collaborated over had progressed a lot over the last week, because Lay was full of motivation and appreciation for everything. It was nice to be whole and healthy and pain-free.

He played a sprightly tune to convey his happiness and smiled sweetly at Angel and the teachers who'd gathered around to hear him. Since it was a big audience, Lay put up a great performance and when he finished, an applause went through the crowd.

'Welcome back Lay!' His music teacher patted his back. 'We missed you here.'

He smiled, shyly rubbing his hand on the back of his neck. As always, he was humbled and grateful that so many people liked him and his music.

'That was beautiful, Lay!' Angel exclaimed, her face bright with happiness.

'Thank you.' He nodded towards the score sheets in her hand. 'Should we try that next?'

Angel happily arranged the score sheets for him and waited. Lay stared at them blankly. 'Um…'

'Lay!' She giggled, ' I taught it to you yesterday. What's that?' she tapped on the paper.

'Ah… soft a?'

'Good and the next?'

She walked him through the notes, not letting him hit the keys – because if he heard the tune, he started playing by ear and forgot to look at the notes. When the bell rang for their next class, they didn't hear it.

'Lay, you know I love your music but you've got to pay attention!' His teacher exclaimed as he took his seat, late once again. 'I can't keep the class waiting all the time.' Lay bowed deeply to apologize, causing a ripple of laughter in the class. They were used to his forgetful behavior by now. 'You too, Angel!'

Angel blushed and nodded. When school ended, Lay offered to walk with Angel to the bus stop, assuring her that it won't be a problem. He just wanted to do something nice for her since she'd been visiting him while he was sick, making soup for him and stuff.

Only, he forgot the way back and was completely lost half an hour later. Not really paying attention to it, either, because the new tune in his head was too good to be let go and he just kept walking, mind elsewhere.

When he finally snapped back to his senses, it was getting dark.

'Oh.' He muttered, 'This is a problem.'

He put his hand in his pockets to take out his cell phone – call someone and ask them to pick him up – but his pockets were empty. He moved to take off his bag, then realized he didn't have that with him either.

Not sure what to do, he paced around and that's when he saw the puppy.

It was injured and weak, one of its ears torn off and scratches all over its body. It growled weakly when Lay approached but Lay calmed it, gently murmuring, 'I'm not going to hurt you.' The puppy nuzzled into his hand as his palm warmed, healing it. It got up and shook the dizziness off. Nuzzling Lay again, it bounded away.

Lay sighed and straightened – then buckled as dizziness came over him. Aw crap! Lay put his hand out to stop his fall but it slipped and he hit his head against something. Not feeling too good, Lay didn't get up. He vaguely recalled Suho telling him not to use his powers. He had completely forgotten.

'You okay mister?' The silhouette looming over his head grew bigger as the person leaned closer. 'Can you hear me?'

Lay blinked and nodded – then wished he hadn't, his head was throbbing. 'I'll call an ambulance,' she announced, taking out her cell phone. Lay gestured for her to stop.

'No need, I'm fine.' He stood up slowly, feeling the blood rush in his head and swayed.

'Careful!' The girl put out her hand to straighten him. She looked familiar… 'Do I know you?' He asked.

'I don't know… do you?' She looked him up and down, probably trying to figure out if he was drunk. An idea struck him. 'I'm lost. Can you help me?'

She smiled. 'Depends. Where do you want to go?'

……………………

'---- street.' He blinked, thinking. 'No… it was ---- street? I'm not sure.'

Lily stared at the guy, wondering if he was high. Or drunk. The two streets were in opposite directions.

'Is there anyone you can call?' She assumed he didn't have a cell phone on him or he wouldn't be asking her for directions. 'A phone number, perhaps?'

'Oh…' he thought seriously, then shook his head helplessly. 'I'm sorry, I'm no good with numbers.'

Lily thought she should just leave – the guy was obviously not in his senses and who knew if he was molester? But he looked so pathetically lost, looking around in confusion, that she didn't have the heart. She called Xiumin. 'I'm bringing someone with me – if I'm not there in ten minutes…'

'Okay, don't worry.' Xiumin assured her calmly. 'And if you're afraid, you shouldn't offer help.'

'I'm not afraid – it's just… I'm not sure if he is high or sick.'

Xiumin laughed. 'Okay, ten minutes, tops. Otherwise, I'll come look for you.' She ended the call, then turned to him. He was staring in the distance dazedly. Definitely high.

'Hey listen.' She called. He didn’t respond. 'Hello???' Snapped her fingers in front of his eyes. He blinked, then looked around, confused. 'I'm going to work, you can come with me, okay? We'll see if we can get you home.'

The sweetest smile bloomed on his face, a deep dimple appearing in his cheek. 'Thank you!' he bowed deeply.

'No problem.' Not used to such displays of gratitude – who even did that these days? – she hurriedly straightened him. 'Come on, I only have ten minutes.'

'I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get you late.' She shook her head, not answering. How was he even allowed to be out alone? In the dark, at that.

They turned the corner, walked two blocks, turning and turning again and emerged in front of Xiumin's shop where Lily worked part time. The guy suddenly snapped his fingers. 'Oh I remember now! You're the girl who serves ice-cream over there.' He sounded proud for having figured that out. He must've seen her in the parlor. She was working evenings these days but she often did extra, morning shifts as well. 'That's great.'

'Lily!' Xiumin's voice called, relief evident in his voice. 'I was just coming to get you… Lay?' Xiumin stopped short on seeing the guy beside her.

'You know him?'

'Xiumin!' Lay sounded delighted. He tried to run to him but stopped short, gasping. 

'Yeah.' He took Lay's arm, straightening him. 'Oh, did you hit something?' He wiped the blood from his eyebrow, taking in his dazed eyes. 'I'd better call Suho.'

Lily helped Xiumin get Lay inside and upstairs to Xiumin's apartment. Under the bright lights, Lay's pallor wasn't too good. 'He really is sick, poor thing.'

'Yeah…' Xiumin turned away, talking in the phone. 'Suho… yeah, I'm calling about him. No, he just got here and I think you should come over to take him home.'

Turning, he smiled at her. 'Thanks for bringing him here.'

'Friend?' Lily asked, tying her hair back and putting on the apron. Since Xiumin was busy here, she'd have to handle the customers.  

'Brother, more like.' Xiumin sat next to Lay, making him stretch out his legs.

…………………….

Suho was furious at Lay.

'I told you not to use your powers!' he whispered fiercely, not wanting to add further to his headache.

'I forgot.' Lay groaned. 'I'm sorry…'

'Idiot!'

Everyone's power worked differently but one thing was sure – too much of it took its toll on their body – and Lay was no different. Broken bones needed time to mend and he hadn't completely recovered. And he'd obviously used a lot of his power.

To save a puppy – Suho couldn't even bring himself to get mad at that - but still…

Thankfully, Xiumin had fed him and now, he was looking much better. They were sitting in the parlor now, watching as Xiumin and Lily went about serving various customers. Just then, his phone rang. 'Hello?' He answered.

'We have a problem.' D.O. sounded dead serious and Suho sat up straight. Has Kris contacted with some news about the Evil? He couldn’t think of anything else that would warrant that tone.

'Ten minutes.' He caught Xiumin's eye, gesturing him over. Xiumin bowed to the lady he was serving, smiling politely as he came back. 'Come with us. Might be news from Kris.'

Nodding, Xiumin went over to tell Lily what to do. The girl was obviously capable of handling a few hours alone. 'I'll make it up to you.' He told her.

'No problem, I'll make sure you do.' She smiled at him sweetly. 'Go on, get out now.'

Suho and Xiumin walked Lay to the car and drove home.

……………….