Chapter 56

You Who Came From The Stars

Mei was having a restless night, wondering how she'd talk to Luhan.

Sehun had given her the box of chocolates and the card that Luhan had been carrying right – both in terrible conditions, courtesy to the fight – before they'd parted ways. She'd been too disoriented at that time, with the weird dream flashing in her head and feeling sort of sleepy, so she'd crashed into the bed soon as they'd arrived. It was nighttime when she'd woken up again and she'd grabbed her cell phone immediately, in hopes that maybe Luhan had texted her.

Then the rest of the day had come rushing back and she'd thrown the phone away and started looking for the chocolates and the card. Found it under her bed, along with the chocolates. The box was broken and the chocolates all dirty but she couldn't find it in herself to throw them away. She cleaned it up instead and put it aside before picking up the card, heart thudding.  

I'm sorry >.< it read. She smiled at the cute emote before suddenly tearing up. She sniffled, biting her lips, staring at his writing.  

'What's wrong?' Tiffany asked, leaning over her shoulder. Saw the card. 'Is that…?'

Mei nodded, swallowing hard. Luhan was such a sweetheart and she was such a . She turned her head into Tiffany's shoulder, crying. 'What do I do? Tiff, he came to apologize and he saw me kissing another guy!'

'You weren't kissing him.' Tiffany patted her shoulder reassuringly.

'No but he doesn't know that. No wonder he was so angry…' she grabbed her hair. 'Ah, why Kai? Why did you do this?' She glared at Tiffany. 'And what were you doing? Why did you bring him over if you knew Luhan was coming as well? Hmm?'

Tiffany had told her, on the way back that Luhan had called and asked where she was.

'Well excuse me for caring!' Tiffany huffed, pushing her away. 'I thought you'd be glad – no, you were glad that to see your friend. I thought I'd give you some privacy. Besides, it's that creep's fault I got distracted from my lookout!'

'What does Sehun have to do with this?' Mei quizzed sarcastically. Tiffany was obviously using Sehun as a pawn.

'He stopped me to return your phone just when I was coming to get Kai…oh!' She exclaimed, horrified. 'I bet he was looking up my skirt!' She shuddered, eyes closing. 'Creep!'

'Ya, you're not even making sense!' Mei knocked on her head.

Tiffany stopped, finger raised as she thought of an argument. Then huffed. 'I don’t know okay? I just think it's suspicious that he was there just after the wind died out. He was looking, I'm telling you!'

'Either make sense or shut up.' Mei rubbed her hands over her face, thinking. 'Ya… he'll listen, won't he?'

'You have to make him.' Tiffany told her, going back to her bed. 'Even if you have to announce it from the broadcast room. Ooh, that sounds nice!'

'You're watching too many high school dramas.' Mei told her. 'I'll go to his class and talk to him then.'

'But that's so boring…' Tiffany voice trailed off as Mei stepped out onto the terrace. It overlooked the deserted back road that led to an abandoned old building. She ignored the road and leaned her elbows on the railing, looking at the stars. Thinking.

Luhan…

It was heartfelt sigh and she felt a few tears slip loose. Wasn't it funny? She'd always thought crying over boys was foolish – kind of stupid. Like why would you cry if you weren't at fault? Or if the fight was over something silly? Well, now she knew. It was because you just missed him that much. Two days and three nights… it was hard to believe that was the time span of their fight. It felt so much longer than that.

Well, he'd made the first move, coming over to apologize. She'd take care of the rest. Tomorrow, she'd corner him and apologize. Bug him until they made up. Smiling she looked down.

And straightened hurriedly, sure there was someone on the road. She stared at the shadows with wide eyes, heart racing, wondering if it was her imagination. For a moment, it'd felt like someone was watching – something red had flashed.

But there was no one there – who would be, at this time? There was nothing along this road. Shaking her head at being so silly, she went back inside.

……………………

Luhan wasn't in his class.

Mei had rushed to the campus early, hoping to catch him before their class began but he wasn’t there. She waited outside, hoping he was late. But he didn’t show up and she dejectedly made her way back to class. Kai wasn’t there either.

She was glad for that because she wasn't sure she could face him – she needed to talk to Luhan first and then come to terms with the fact that her first kiss with Luhan would, in fact, be her second kiss.

She sniffed – it might sound ridiculous to some people (cough, Tiffany, cough) but it was important. Very important. She hadn't skipped the 'Make out in high school' on her 'Things to do before I die' list for no reason.

She sat in her seat with a huff and eyed the two empty seats beside her – Sehun hadn't shown up either. Of course, he was always looking for reasons to skip class and Kai not showing up obviously counted as one. Well, she'd take notes for him since he was always bugging her about them anyway.

After class, she once again checked his class – he hadn't come. She went to the soccer field – there were matches coming up and Luhan rarely skipped on practice. He wasn't there either.

Luhan… where are you?

……………………

Lily stared at the cracks in the ceiling. They hadn't been there until yesterday – she was sure because with the amount of plaster falling off, she would've noticed.

'Ya, this place needs renovation!' She told Xiumin when he came downstairs. He stared at the cracks, then sighed. 'Yeah, it does.'

'Doesn't it?' Lily continued, bustling about the room, correcting chairs and picking up leftovers. 'You also need a bigger place – this hovel is not enough to hold all the customers.'

Xiumin sighed again. She was saying the exact things he'd been considering. Well, since they were talking…

'I'm thinking of moving the shop.' He told her back, bending over to pick the plastic cup someone had courteously thrown on the floor. She stared at him incredulously, hands loaded with empty cups and disposable plates.

'Why?' This was the perfect spot, the business was booming. He could understand her confusion.

'Couple of reasons.' He replied evasively. The whole Evil thing was a bit of a long story for another time.

'Family business?' She raised a brow; after all, that was his reason for doing a lot of stuff.

'You know me too well.' He took things from her hands to dispose them in the garbage can.

'Isn't that going too far, though? Uprooting an entire business…' She ignored a lot of his family weirdness but the businesswoman inside her couldn't just sit by idly watching such a flourishing trade go to waste.

'It's my decision.' He told her. 'I'm telling you because… if I do move, I want you onboard.'

She stared at him thoughtfully. 'You know that I'd love to but…'

'Family, right?' Xiumin smiled.

She was supporting her family with her earnings from here while she completed her studies which was why she was so willing to put in overtime and Xiumin made sure to always compensate her.

Right now, her work and study place were within walking distance and one of the old boarders in the rundown building had agreed to let her stay if she took care of the apartment for them. If he moved, travel expenses would put a dent in her earning.

She smiled back sardonically. 'You know me too well.'

'If I pay…' Xiumin began but she cut him off. 'I'm an employee Minnie, not a charity case.'

For the love of… of all the times to have pride. She was a weird woman. He shook his head. 'I thought we agreed you won't call me Minnie again.'

'Cut another quarter if that helps.' She retorted, going over to the counter and busily poking around.

'Just consider my offer seriously – we'll call it even.' He suggested, moving around as well.

'Fine, I'll consider it.' She told him irritably.

'Fine!' He retorted back, enjoying her annoyed expression. She was too composed and she obviously needed to take a chill pill. A chunk of plaster fell on her head, making her look like an old lady. He chuckled – the image suited her too well – and ignored her demand to explain it as new customers began coming in, filling the shop once again.

……………………….