74. The Four of Them

[Drabble Collection] One Hundred Kissɛs

Notice: Kid!Kyungsoo and Kid!Baekhyun 


Soojung huffs a sigh as she opens the door to the kindergarten. She cringes slightly at the way her heels clack against the utterly silent hallway as she passes each vibrant classroom. Her hand clutches at her purse so hard that she's shaking. She can't even begin to understand the situation she's been invited to.

When she reaches the teachers' office, she takes one last deep breath and pulls the door open. Most of it is all but empty, save a few staying late to work on new posters and decorations. Soojung remembers her best friend, Sulli, mentioning how hard it is to teach kindergarten because of everything she had to do all the time.

She sees two small boys sitting next to each other with their heads down and then a man sitting in front of the table with Mrs. Song, one of the teachers. Soojung hurriedly makes her way to the boy on the left, gently patting his head and the takes a seat next to the man.

He's tan and broad with dark eyes and she bows slightly to him as he returns it. She can feel Mrs. Song watching the two and then she clears .

"Ms. Jung, I have called you and Mr. Kim here today to discuss the rough housing between your children. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo are not getting along, and every day I find the two shouting at each other. But today, I found both of them pushing each other down. They won't tell me what's going on, but as parents, I'm sure you two could help solve this problem." Mrs. Song explains.

Soojung finds herself unconsciously looking towards her son, Kyungsoo. She doesn't remember there being a fighting side of him. Of the five years that she's raised him, he had never gotten into a fight with anyone.

Soojung finds herself scooting closer to her son. Her hand goes protectively over his knee and she lowers herself to his height.

"Honey, what's going on?" She asks. Kyungsoo is pouting at her, a scratch visible on his arm. She doesn't say anything about it.

"Baekhyun keeps saying that having a dad is better than having a mom. He keeps telling me that his dad is better than you and that's not true!" Kyungsoo's voice gets an octave higher and Soojung can feel the guilt rising up in her chest.

She has never been embarrassed about being a single parent. Never. Ever since she realized that she was pregnant in her senior year of college, Soojung always made sure to keep her head up and let everyone know that she was going to be a mother. Even after her first few job interviews at the magazine company were failed due to her being a young parent, she didn't dare hide the fact that she was a single parent. Never had she hid the fact that Kyungsoo's father had never wanted to be in his life from the beginning. Kyungsoo had always understood, somewhat. Her son had never really questioned about his father, either.

But now, as she sees her son's large, round eyes bubble with fat tears and his lip tremble from the words of the kid sitting beside him, Soojung can't help but feel a bit embarrassed. Not about being a single parent, but about never even trying to give her son a fair chance of what a father meant. She had never explained to him why his father didn't want to see him or why she never really talked about it. She had never thought it would hurt Kyungsoo the way it had.

Soojung pulls her son into her arms and pushes his hair back and the fat tears roll down his cheeks. She's biting her lip and whispering kind words to her son who is silently letting out his frustrations. Kyungsoo had never been a wailing kind of child.

She can hear the man from another corner of the room, scolding his kid, Baekhyun, for ever saying something so terrible to someone. She turns her head slightly as she sees the child, nod and then burst into a hiccup of tears. She glances at the man embracing his son, much like she is, and she can't help but feel a small tinge of warmth in her chest.

 

"Kyungsoo, it's not that Baekhyun was trying to be mean to you. It's just that he doesn't know what it's like to have a mom, just like you don't know what it's like to have a dad. And Baekhyun, you should never have and something like that to Kyungsoo, either. It's very disrespectful, okay?" Mrs. Song adds as the two boys calm down and promise not to say ugly things to each other, again. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun hug each other and then when Baekhyun mentions that they can play together tomorrow, Kyungsoo is smiling and nodding.

Soojung let's Kyungsoo run around with Baekhyun a little as the two boys each on a blue lollipop. She turns to the Baekhyun's father and holds out her hand.

"A proper introduction. My name is Jung Soojung, Kyungsoo's mom," she says. She smiles and watches as Baekhyun's father shakes her hand. His eyes crinkle into a smile and she finds herself flushing slightly. She hadn't realized how handsome the man was inside.

"Kim Jongin. Nice to meet you," he returns. They chat about being single parents and about never really having the time to do anything since it's just them. Soojung laughs at his outrageously corny jokes because she finds his laugh endearing.

They exchange numbers in a hurry when Soojung finally sees the time and Kyungsoo quickly promises to play with Baekhyun tomorrow as he takes his mom's hand and they run off to the black Camry parked on the curb.

 

Soojung doesn't know exactly how it happened, but meeting Jongin at the cafe just across the street from the kindergarten becomes a weekly ritual until Jongin finally asks her for a real date. One date turns into two which turns into Jongin kissing Soojung goodbye in front of the office every other day.

Kyungsoo and Baekhyun find out too quickly about their parents' dates and she finds her son giving her a narrow-eyed look as she tries to kiss him goodbye one night while slipping her heels on. After another two weeks, Soojung officially meets Baekhyun, the energetic kid and they’re all sitting in Soojung's kitchen, having their first meal as "the four of them."

Baekhyun finally gives in and admits that having a mom seems pretty cool, but Kyungsoo also thinks having a dad would be amazing. The two are inseparable and Soojung and Jongin find themselves spending more and more time together with their children.

Marriage isn't quite in the picture, but Soojung is pretty happy to be where she is. Jongin beside her on the couch with his fingers intertwined in hers and surprising her with pecks against her temple or her cheek while the two boys sit cross-legged on the ground, sharing a bag of Cheetos as they re-watch their favorite movie.

Sometimes it catches Soojung off guard when Baekhyun slips and calls her mom, but she sees the same hesitant expression on Jongin's face when Kyungsoo follows Baekhyun and calls him dad.

It's not really about getting married and having a family. Soojung just doesn't think it's that simple. But sometimes she likes to tell herself that it'll be that simple if it's her and Kyungsoo and Jongin and Baekhyun together; the four of them.

 


 

Oh my gosh, has it really already been that long since I updated?!?!?!?! Well then........
I'm sorry for making all of you wait once again, but I really hoped you liked this one! I got the idea from
this list on tumblr, and I thought it would be perfect. Also, Kid!Kyungsoo and Kid!Baekhyun are the cutest!!!!! Let me know what you guys thought about it all! :)

Also, don't forget to comment and subscribe! :D