68. I Noticed

[Drabble Collection] One Hundred Kissɛs

Soojung doesn’t understand why the fact that Kim Jongin has a girlfriend is bothering her so much. She can’t help but crane her neck toward the back of the lecture hall to catch a glimpse of his fingers intertwined in the girl’s and then cringes with distaste. 

She tries to focus on her professor and the giant slide show in the center of the room, but all she hears is the light whispers all around her, the rustling of paper, and the tapping of pens. And all she can focus on is the fact that Kim Jongin is sitting three rows behind her, holding a girl’s hand and whispering lovey-dovey words into the girl’s ear. 

Soojung contemplates it all day. She hears her own voice in her head, scolding her for being so nosy and being so obsessed about Kim Jongin. 

She prints off her papers and collects her stuff, but catches the sight of tanned skin, and long brown hair out of the conner of her eyes. She stops and looks over to see Jongin’s lips traveling over the girls in a short, kiss, then a smile blossom against his lips as they pull away from each other.

Soojung stumbles out of the library, cheeks flaming from the embarrassment and shame consuming her whole body. She races down the path, with her books halfway falling out of her arms and stops at the bus stop. With shaking hands, she fixes her books and smoothes down her hair. 

“Soojung?” 

It’s a familiar voice. One she hasn’t heard in ages. The one she remembers whispering in her own ear and kissing over her own lips. Kim-

“Jongin,” she says, turning to face him. His cheeks are red from the cold air and Soojung can’t feel he tips of her fingers. She’d forgotten to put on her gloves.

“How are you?” 

Jongin’s gaze fixes on her and she freezes. Her cheeks are still flaming, fingers still cold, but she can feel the steady beat of her heart against her chest, getting too loud for her own ears; she clears .

“Um…great. You?” she asks. Silence.

Jongin stands there, facing her, but not answering her questions. He searches her eyes with his own, dark brown ones. He furrows his eyebrows and she gets the impression that he’s trying to read her. Just like always.

“I’m alright. Well, more than alright,” he answers after a while. Soojung can hear the squeaking, rigid gears of the bus heading toward them from not too far away.

“Good. That’s good.”

Silence. It’s been a whole year since they’d broken up. It was the end of their senior year in high school. She’d been certain that he’d be going to a different school, until he was sitting in the far front corner of her class on the first day of her Biology lecture. She’d tried her best to avoid him, and it’d worked up until now.

“I’m in your Physics class. I don’t think you noticed, though,” Soojung states, trying to break the tension. The bus turns the corner onto their street.

“I…didn’t. I’m sorry…” he doesn’t go on. She’s not sure what he’s sorry about, but she nods as the bus squeals to a stop in front of the shelter they’re standing under. Jongin doesn’t look up at her, but she thinks she can imagine why. All the hurt she’d received from him seems to stir at the bottom of her stomach, but she ignores it. It’s been far too long to hold people against promises long forgotten. 

“I’ll see you Thursday,” she says, and with a quick kiss to his cheek, she climbs the stairs onto the bus and sits in the back corner so she can’t see him through the window. 

And as the bus pulls away, she cries.

 


 

Hello, people! So, I was in the library today with a couple friends, and this idea randomly came to mind. I don't really know why, but I hope you guys liked it. It's pretty angsty, unlike the other drabbles, but oh well. Gotta have some variety, right? I'll be posting another request next, so be looking forward to that! It's gonna be SO FLUFFY! So, thanks so much fore reading! You guys are all awesome! 

Also, don't forget to comment and subscribe!
Upvotes are highly appreciated! ^^