38. Goodbye Summer

[Drabble Collection] One Hundred Kissɛs

When a gentle hand wraps around Soojung’s wrist and pulls her away from the crowd of graduates, she follows without question because the large, slightly calloused hand that fits perfectly against her own can only be Jongin. Only a small lantern lights their way, but she doesn’t care because the warmth in his palm makes her feel safe.

They walk for a few minutes, leaving the crowd far behind, but close enough to see where they are. When they stop, she realizes that it’s their usual spot behind the beach house where they spend hours together since years back; where they run around and splash water at each other, and act stupid because no one else is watching.

It’s nice to sit on the cushion made of soft sand and to gaze at the stars. As if they aren’t finally high school graduates. As if they aren’t starting a new life without each other. As if it isn’t the last night that they have together.

“You won’t forget me?” his voice asks. Soojung shakes her head with a soft, “never.”

She turns to Jongin and asks, “and you won’t forget me, right?”

He shakes his head too, and smiles, “never.”

The silence rests on their shoulders and so do their feelings. Soojung hopes he knows how her stomach flutters when he’s near, and how her cheeks flush bright pink when he touches her, or how she gets angry when he talks to other girls. She wishes he feels the same about her, but she doesn’t break the silence to tell him anything. She just sits and waits out their last minutes; their last moments.

The fireworks start and end, and there are voices searching for the two. She stands up and turns to him, looking up at the shadows covering his features.

“One last hug,” she says and pulls him in, burying her face in his chest and taking in his scent, not wanting to forget any of it. She doesn’t cry. She doesn’t even say that she’ll miss him. She just pulls away and smiles.

She tries to see his expression within the small glow of the lantern, but fails because he moves quickly, leaning in and touching his lips to her own. She’s frozen, shocked, and confused, but she finally sees his expression—eyes gentle and warm, lips pulled back in his smile that always seems to make her forgive.

“One last kiss,” his whispers.

Once they get back to the quickly dispersing crowd, Soojung knows how he feels. She knows that he’s said nothing, just like her, and that he’ll never say anything, just like her. She hugs her friends’ goodbye one last time and doesn’t try to find him again as she gets into her car and drives out of their party venue.

She doesn’t look back. She doesn’t cry. She doesn’t even try to remember. She just smiles at the long lost words in her brain that trace a confession. She just swallows her confusion and anger and frustration. She just smiles as the night grows darker and deeper. She just smiles as she says goodbye to summer.

 

 

 

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

 

 

 

Update number two! haha~ It's slightly raw, but I like the feeling that it give off like this. It's also in appreciation of the song 'Goodbye Summer' from the pink tape version. I've finally joined the group of people who've written something for that song. It's finally done, although I was writting something else for it...I probably will just stick to this one.

I got the feels for this drabble after I watched EXO on the lates Sukira and Kyungsoo sang the song. It was lovely and I just had to write this. You know how it is, guys.

So, I hope you liked it, and I'll try to update sooner or later!

Don't forget to comment and subscribe! ^^