54. Birthday Cake

[Drabble Collection] One Hundred Kissɛs

It's disappointing. It's flat and ugly and the icing is already melting off somehow. It's lopsided and looks distorted and the letters are crooked and written too closely. The blue clashes with the green and the top half is slowly sliding off the bottom half. She sighs and takes a fork, stabs it into the cake and tastes. Her features turn sour before she's spitting into a napkin.

Soojung has never been a cook or a baker. All those talents were stored inside her mother; because Sooyeon is even worse. She knows that for a fact.

So when she takes to the mart to pick up a pack of flour, eggs, vanilla extract, milk, and icing, she can feel the impending doom already. When she gets home, she pulls out the cake pan, the whisk, and the large purple bowl to mix her ingredients in and the feeling becomes even more prominent. When she finally sets the temperature of the oven too high and puts the mix in, she can feel the unsettling growl in her stomach (which she waves off as hunger). Then, when she's finally finished icing the cake, her face falls and so does her hopes of living a happily wedded life.

 

When Jongin returns home it's dark out and he's tired from a long day of work. He sees only the dim lights of the kitchen and quickly steps in and turns the corner to find Soojung slumped over on the table, face settled in sleep. In one hand she's holding the pink and purple lighter she bought at the beach one day and her other arm is draped over the table with her head resting in it. She looks peaceful and beautiful, even with the blotches of flour tied back with her hair and sprinkled on her forearms and cheeks. He glances over into the kitchen and takes in the ingredients on the countertop and the used cake pans and the large purple bowl. Then, his eyes shift to the perfectly rounded cake on the table top, ornamented with chocolates that make up the features of a bunny and candles that have yet to be lit, all perched on top of the blue and pink Baskin Robins box. A chuckle settles deep in his throat.

"Soojung," he whispers into her ear. With a slight groan and the wrinkle of her features, she sits up and blinks up at him. A smile filters through her sleepy face and she reaches up for him.

"I tried, but this was the only solution," she mumbles, pointing toward the cake on the table. Jongin nods and hoists her off the chair. She groans at the pains in her neck.

"It's perfect," and it's true.

She feels his breath , warm and tickling against her own before his lips kiss at the corner of . He kisses her nose and her cheek before finally settling for her lips. 

"Happy birthday, Jongin," Soojung whispers over his lips when they pull away. A laugh bubbles against her lips in return.

 

 

 


 

Well, I'm not sure why this happened. This drabble was obviously written for Jongin's birthday, but I had an exam that day and I guess I just kind of forgot. But I've had it written since Christmas. >.<
I'm just posting it because I finally remembered. I hope you guys liked it!

Don't forget to comment and subscribe! ^^