43. Springtime

[Drabble Collection] One Hundred Kissɛs

Soojung doesn't know how long it's been since she sat down under the cherry blossom tree. Probably hours because the sun is starting to set.

It's late spring and the tree has blossomed beautifully into a bright pink. She's sitting in her usual spot at the base of the tree, a book spread in her lap, waiting for the last page to be turned.

A slight breeze picks up along the hill and she can practically smell the evening dew settling in. And with the pleasant scent of her hometown and favorite tree, she remembers the face of her best friend.

He was tall and broad and dark skinned from playing outside too much. He had large eyes and thick lips and when he smiled, the corners of his eyes would wrinkle up.

She was always with him--going to school, they walked together; at school, the sat together; and outside of school, they did everything together.

Jongin was his name. He was smart and witty and was always getting in trouble for being that annoying neighborhood kid, but everyone loved him nonetheless. Everyone including Soojung.

She didn't know it when it happened, but suddenly, she would find herself thinking of his smile and his laughs and she would find herself laughing along. She would steal glances at him while they walked down the rocky, unpaved path to their houses and try to hide the smile that formed on her lips when he would stumble over branches and rocks and words he didn't understand how to express.

She figured he felt it too when one, late spring morning, under the pink cherry blossoms, he fitted his lips over hers and smiled at her too sincerely, eyes sparkling brightly.

But the war intensified when they turned eighteen two weeks later and even after she begged him, tears streaked down her cheeks and knees scraping against the rocks on the ground, not to go to the war, he left with a smile and a sad gleam in his eyes, whispering of return.

She still hasn't heard from him, although she still hopes. So as she gets up from the ground, dusting off her new skirt, she sees the familiar frame of a tall boy in her yard.

He's broad too, but with milky skin and a crescent smile. He's the boy she'd be married to in two months--almost finished with his doctoral studies, he's wealthy and handsome, and a gentleman too.

She takes one last breath of the springtime joys and whispers her silent wishes for her best friend named Jongin, and then makes her way down the hill, closing the book without finishing it because she doesn't want the story to end just yet.

 

 

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

 

Yay~ finally another update! Did you guys miss me?
Haha, so if you've been watching Reply 1994, then you might see the resemblence between this drabble and the story that Samchunpo's grandmother tells Chilbong about her first love. This drabble was very much inspired by that story, and if you haven't noticed, I made the setting of the story around the mid 1900s during wartime. Hence, Soojung is only 18 and getting married off to...yes, it's Sehun. You might not have guessed it, but it is our lovely maknae couple.

Thank you guys for reading, and I hope I didn't disappoint by writing so many sad stories! I'll try to write something fluffy for the next chapter!

Please, don't forget to comment and subscribe! ^^