34. Hot Summer

[Drabble Collection] One Hundred Kissɛs

The sun is blisteringly hot, showering the pool with its radiance and possibly-life-threatening heat. Swarms of people crowd into whatever shade they can find and the children are oblivious, running and shouting, splashing the concrete above so the barefooted can walk casually.

It’s days like this that Soojung hates being at work the most. She hates the hotness, even under the shade of her wide umbrella. She hates having to coat on layers and layers of sunscreen because her skin is so sensitive. And she hates the way a certain male lifeguard—Kim Jongin—sits in his post 30 feet away from her, making stupid faces her direction.

She slumps in her post, not even bothered by the height of it anymore, and lazily bites down on the whistle hanging from . She’s desperate for two o’clock to come so she can retreat to her nice, air conditioned apartment and take a long, cold shower.

As she lightly blows her whistle from time to time, calling to the children to stop running in her area of the pool, she hears the loud splash and the cries of help coming from the other side of the pool. She’s readily on her feet and dangling from her post, when she realizes that Jongin has already dived in. He’s quick to help the girl to the edge of the pool and another lifeguard pulls her out, patting her back and helping her regain her breath.

Soojung gets back in her seat, mumbling about stupid girls and their fear of water when the bell rings throughout the pool. It signals a ten minute break in which the lifeguards get to switch out their posts.

She grumbles on her way down, telling the children to grab something to eat since no one is allowed in the pool during this time, and makes her way around.

She’s stationed on the far side of the pool where the water slides are, and protest to one of her friends who works at the snack bar, Sulli. She’s sitting on the counter, spilling curses at the weather when a few droplets of water hit her arm. She hasn’t even realized Jongin standing beside her, drying his hair in a towel and smiling cheekily at Soojung. His swim trunks drip water, still, and his top is nowhere to be seen, leaving Soojung with an eyeful of tanned skin and toned muscles.

“Sulli, can you hand me another shirt?” he asks, casually taking his place beside her. She ignores him the best she can, but is caught short when she feels his wet hair on her arm. He leans into her, closing his eyes and sighing contently.

Soojung can feel her cheeks flush slightly, and shoves him off, trying to look disgusted, because in reality, she is.

“Go find another pillow, loser,” she spits, avoiding his eyes. A grin plasters his face and he chuckles, the sound rumbling in his chest.

“You know you like me, Soojung. You don’t always have to play hard-to-get. Let loose a little,” he says, taking his former position again, leaning his head this time into her lap.

With anger flaring, Soojung shoves him off again and leaps off the counter, ready to retaliate with words and maybe a smack on the head, but when she feels his hand cupping her chin and his lips burning into her own, her whole body shuts down.

With wide eyes, searching Jongin’s satisfied face as he pulls back, Soojung tries to say something, do something, anything at all, but all her muscles have gone slack. The smirk growing on his lips doesn’t help and when Sulli comes back with his shirt, he just shoots her a wink and stalks off, tugging the fresh shirt on and climbing into Soojung’s old post.

When the bell rings, Soojung curses under her breath, with cheeks still flushed, and rushes to the water slides, earning a sneer from the other lifeguard on duty at her station. She makes a mental note to kick Jongin’s when they get off work later.

 

 

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

 

Hi guys...It's been a really long time since I've updated, but I hope this really, super long drabble makes up for it?
But, I'm warning you: I don't really know what this is and I just wrote it because.....because I did...but yea...^^
I'll try to update in the near future! Thanks!

Oh, and do please go check out my graphics shop! I'm not taking requests right now, but it will be open again soon!
click! --> : : N i g h t i n g a l e  G r a p h i c s

Don't forget to comment and subscribe! ^^