Remembering

One Sided Love?

Baekhyun

“Jagiya! A new girl group just debuted! Are you gonna watch the live stage with me?” I ask Taeyeon.

“Yeah. Give me a second.”

I wait patiently in my living room. My members keep telling me that this group looks really promising. No matter what, I’ll support them like a good sunbae should. Minutes later, their name pops up, and I quickly pause the TV.

“Tae Tae! The performance is about to start. I don’t want to watch it without you!” I yell.

Taeyeon rushes downstairs and sits right next to me on my couch. She looks at me with her sparkling eyes and shining smile. She may be older than me, but at times like this she looks like a child.

“I’m ready!” she says.

I kiss her forehead and un-pause the TV. The music starts, and they begin their choreography. The song has a very bright and retro feel to it. I like it. Taeyeon seems to like it too, because she’s bopping her head to the rhythm next to me. Haha. So cute.

“They have really good stage presence. Especially her.” Taeyeon says as she points to a girl with short hair.

I look at her as she begins her verse. Her voice is very unique. Everything about her is unique actually. The more I look at her, the more I realize that she does not fit the mold of female idols at all. She definitely has an American style to her. I continue looking at her throughout the rest of the performance. There’s something about her that’s captivating. The only thing that snapped me out of my daze was their AMAZING vocals. I look over at Taeyeon who has wide open. The vocals get better and better as the song ends. The song finishes with more crazy good vocals. Taeyeon and I look at each other.

“They’re rookies?!” Taeyeon asks.

“Yeah! They just debuted! That was their first live stage.” I answer.

I quickly get out my phone and look up their profiles. The leader is Solar, or Kim Yongsun. And she’s the oldest? She looks like the youngest! Then there is Moonbyul, or Moon Byulyi. She’s the rapper, and her rap was amazing! Next is Wheein, or Jung Wheein. Aww! She has an adorable dimple. And last is Hwasa, or Ahn Hyejin. It’s clear that she has a very different body type than what’s ideal in Korea. She’s just so unique in every way! Can we be friends? Anyways, the day ends, and I lay in my bed. Ahn Hyejin. A name I won’t forget.

TWO YEARS LATER

I’m waiting for Mamamoo to release Decalcomanie. It’s 5:50 pm and they plan to release it at 6:00 pm. Time! Please go by faster! Taeyeon hates it when I fanboy over Mamamoo, but I can’t help it! Besides, she’s upstairs with one of her members, Tiffany. I can fanboy all I want when the MV releases. I look at the time once again. 5:53. It feels like hours have passed already. Just then, Taeyeon and Tiffany come downstairs.

“Bye Miyoung-ah!” Taeyeon tells her.

“Bye Tae Tae!” Tiffany says as she grabs her things from a side table near the door.

“I’ll text you about… how it goes.” Taeyeon says.

“Okay. Make sure you make the decision that you think is right.”

They hug, and Tiffany walks out of the house.

“Hey jagiya~.” I say, my eyes still glued to my phone.

She comes up to me and hugs me from behind. I smile as I turn around. I cup her face in my hands and kiss her. She wraps her arms around my neck as I use my right hand to pull her closer by the waist. I move my hand down further and she stops me. Confused, I break the kiss.

“What’s wrong, noona?” I ask.

“I… I need to talk to you. And making out with you isn’t going to make this any easier.”

Worried, I grab her hands. Is this conversation going where I think it’s going?

“Baekhyun… I feel like… I’m losing you.” she says finally.

“What do you mean?”

“Everyday, more of your heart goes to her.” Taeyeon says, looking down.

“Baby, what do you mea-“ I begin.

“You know who I’m talking about. She’s been the only person on your mind for months. You forgot my birthday! You forgot our anniversary! All you care about is the next time you can see Hyejin on any screen.”

“So this is about Hyejin?” I ask.

“Of course! Who else? It’s like you’re in love with her or something!” Taeyeon says, furiously.

I pause. I try to tell myself that I’m not, but I start feeling guilty all of a sudden. I shouldn’t feel this way! I have a girlfriend and I’ve never even had a conversation with Hyejin in my life! All I am to her is a sunbae. Tears well up in Taeyeon’s eyes when I don’t answer.

“You’re not gonna ing deny it?”

“I-I…” I stutter.

“Even when we were pressured to break up. Even when my members told me dating wasn’t worth our career. Even when YOUR fans made me feel like every day. I still stayed with you. Because I loved you! But it turns out, you were in love with another girl this whole time!”

“Tae-“

“You know what? I’m done.” she says.

Taeyeon walks upstairs. About 20 minutes later, she comes back down with everything that she owns that’s in my house.

“Goodbye, Byun Baekhyun.” she turns towards the door.

“Taeyeon-ah! Wait!” I say, tears in my eyes.

She turns around and presses her lips onto mine. I pull her in by her waist and she drops her bags, wrapping her arms around my neck. I don’t want to let her go. If I do, I’ll never see her again. She pulls away, tears streaming down her face. She gives me a little smile before picking up her bags and walking out of my life.

PRESENT

“I’ll get Apple Mint ice cream and she’ll have a chocolate ice cream with nuts.” I order.

“You remember my favorite ice cream?” Taeyeon asks, surprised.

“Of course. I remember everything.” I say with a smile.

We walk over to a table to wait for our ice cream. Even though it’s winter, it’s never to cold for ice cream. Besides, before we started dating, we hung out at this same ice cream shop. Now that we’re friends again, why not come back here?

“You really remember everything? When did SNSD debut?” she asks.

“August 3, 2007.” I answer confidently.

“My birthday?”

“March 9, 1989 in Jeonju.”

“When was our anniversary?” she asks with her arms crossed.

“June 14, 2014. 1:34 pm on the dot.”

Her eyes widen.

“Oh damn. You really do remember a lot!” she says.

We both laugh as our ice cream is brought to us.

“We’ll take it to go.” I say to the employee.

I pull out my wallet to pay for our treats. After that’s done, we walk into the busy streets of Seoul. We take off our masks to eat our ice cream. We know it’s risky to be in public without masks, but I’m really hungry!

“Baek. This was a bad idea! I’m freezing cold!” Tae exclaims.

I wrap my arm around her.

“Better?” I ask.

“No. But, keep your arm there.”

“Yes ma’am.” I say jokingly.

Since the ice cream shop isn’t far away from my house, we’re walking back to my place. Once we arrive, we both flop on my couch, ice cream in hand. I look over at her. She really is beautiful. I’ve admired her for a long time. Even before I debuted. Why did we even break up? Then it hits me. Our entire relationship flashes before my eyes. My heart aches suddenly. My best friend doesn’t even know that she caused the breakup between Taeyeon and I. And I have no intention on telling her. Underneath all of her badass iness, Hyejin is really sensitive. Anyways, I continue looking at Taeyeon. She looks so amazing, as always. She honestly doesn’t look like she’s 29. She notices me staring and laughs.

“Are you okay?” she asks.

Caught in the moment, I blurt out:

“Will you go out with me?”

MAKE SURE TO COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE!! My first semester of school is finally over, and I can get a break! I should be uploading more frequently now.... SARANGHAE~! P.S. Idk why, but I feel like LoSa is actually real. And if they're not dating, they must be really close. I rewatched Mamamoo's MMA moments for the billionth time and I wonder what Daniel told Loco when Hyejin walked by (and it was so sweet when Hyukwoo went to go sit by Hyejin ^_^).....