Finally

Against All Odds

After the call ended earlier, no one had tried to take the phone from Pvt Smith and I know why. Theyre all scared. Afraid that if they call their families now, they would hear the same fate that the caller had ended up. Screaming and pleading for their lives then a faint hang-up tone will confirm their death.

I admit, Im kind of doubting too if I should call Krystal or not. What if she end up like the caller? I cant bear to hear her scream or plead for someone to save her.. I'd break, knowing that I was unable to help her and all I did was listen to her screaming voice till it end to a halt...

No.. Ofcourse.. I dont want that.. So I stayed rooted on my ground and didnt even flinched when Pvt Smith put the phone inside his pocket and said, "In case someone will have the courage later, you know where to get it."

Everyone started walking away from the dead bodies and to our destination, silently. We're all too immersed on our own thoughts to even think to talk to anyone. With just the same thoughts in our heads we head on, with more eagerness to kill and motivation to survive..

 

We need to see our family, safe and sound. With our own eyes.

That was probably what everyone else is thinking. 

 

"We're almost home Serge." I heard Pvt Kang said. We could see the HQ walls from where we are. If HQ isnt as affected as Seongnam, there's a huge possiblity that their families were still alive. Hope started to grew stronger within us with every step we take towards the wall..

Im quite sure that everyone's heartbeat is just as fast as mine, hands sweating cold and as if butterflies were flying inside our stomach..

Nervous?

Maybe.. Cause as we near the HQ walls, the anticipation of having to see and hold the ones we love at a situation like this makes it a lot better. It makes us feel everything is going to be better..

 

Sergeant Kim suddenly signalled us to stop and hide. "Eaters." He said as he pointed those ing eaters on our far right. We kept quiet and held our guns with our dear life. We're almost here..Im almost here..And Im not going to let myself be killed now..

"Smith.."I called his attention. "The phone." I said as I held out my hand. He fished the phone out of his pocket and tossed it to me. I need Krystal to know Im here..

I immediately dialled her number.

"Sergeant. The CCTV on gate 4 moved. Sir, up there." Pfc Choiza said. We all looked at the direction and someone was at the tower, swaying what looks like a piece of cloth and telling as to come. "We're moving now.. Watch your back. Eaters will be swarming us as we move."

"Yes sir.."Everyone confirmed.

"On my three.. One.. two.." Krystal's phone started to ring.. Its still open.. So it means she's alive right? And my question was answered when the call was picked up and Krystal's voice said 'Hello?'..

"Three."

".. the phone." I exclaimed as Pfc Choiza pulled me by my arm and resulted fo the phone to slip off my hands.

"Eaters.. Eaters.." I heard Pvt Kang said as he fired his guns to them..

"I dont want to die.. I dont want to die.." Pvt Lee chant aloud as he too fired at the Eaters behind us.. 

Theyre closing in and with a huge number too..

.. We cant die like this..

More gunfires was heard and bodies fell on the ground. The troop from HQ was backing us up. 

"Thanks.." We muttered as soon as we found ourselves finally safe inside the camp.. Panting heavily with the running we just did.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Has any of you have a phone?"