Real

Against All Odds

"Dad, is it true? There's a zombie outbreak outside?" I asked as soon as dad had opened the door of the basement. We waited for him to answer but we only got a nod.

I heard everyone gasped in disbelief. 

"Are you sure? I mean.. How can this happen honey?" My mom asked as she went beside my dad and wiped some sweats on his temple.

"I dont know either Honey. I got a call from General Nam. Telling me to warn the town people..I already called the municipal staffs about it but were already too late.. It spread across the town too fast."

"How can that be? How did this start?" My sister Jessica asked as she slump back to her former seat.

"I have no idea either..Girls.. I need you to stay here.. I know youre all worried about your family but its best if we stay indoors.. We dont know exactly how were going to deal with this but we need to keep hidden here. I need to keep you safe." We all nodded to him.

I gripped my dad's clothes when he was about to go out again, "Dad.. Can you call someone from the Army.. I need to know if she's.." 

My dad patted my head.. " I'll see what I can do baby.. Im sure she's okay.. She's a well trained soldier.." He smiled at me.. My heart seemed to warm up a little bit.. That the first time dad had complemented Amber..

Ohh Amber better be alive or Im going to kill her myself.. She should be alive and hear what my dad thinks about her..

Ohh please let her be alive..

I was praying silently when we heard a massive explosion outside so we all headed out to see what's happening. Dad was standing in front of the door.

"Dad, what was that?" 

"I dont know..I think something exploded, see the smoke?" He pointed out to the sky.. "It could be a car.." 

Now that were outside, we could hear screams and gunshots, more louder now that it was on Dara's phone but still nothing makes sense..

Zombies.. How and where did they came from?

I guess being the mayor, dad has more advantages.. I mean just look at all the firepower my dad's bodyguards has? And speaking of that, how in the world my dad got those guns? Riffles.. Hand guns.. I didnt even know his body guards owns one..

They were firing at all the zombies who was in front of our gate.. Jesus.. They look so scary that Im having goosebumps running across my back, even if I cant see them clearly from where we stand.. I guess having watched every zombie movies there is, Ive already pictured out what they look like already without seeing them up close, and that picture in my head is enough to scare me.

I then heard my sister mumbled next to me..

".. They are real.."