Good news

Against All Odds

"Where did you learn all these Jessica?" I asked after she was done dressing my wound on my leg. 

"Someone taught me." Was her cold response. 

"You sure learned well from that someone." I complemented and she just smiled. 

Krystal was on the kitchen helping their mother preparing lunch. The door opened and her dad entered the room. I swallowed my saliva as I remembered how he caught me and his other daughter on the act, doing something we shouldnt do. He coughed, probably because he too was embarrased with the unexpected situation that occured earlier.

I bowed to him, showing my respect to him. "Sir.."

"Oh daddy.. I was just done with his wound, I'd go out to see if lunch is ready." Jessica excused herself and took the medicinekit along with her.

"So.." He started. I felt my cheeks burnt in embarrassment. I looked down on the blanket so I can avoid looking at him.

"Im sorry. sir.. Im really sorry." I exclaimed, bowing at him till he had to stop me.

"Thats enough. What had happened already happened. I just dont want to see you kids do that again...Specially when Im here around.."

I nodded my head vigorously.. "Yes sir.. Yes sir."

"How are you feeling?" He asked which surprised me I didnt expect him to ask something about me.

"Better now sir unlike when I was out there." 

"So mind telling me whats happening?" He sat onto the stool chair and crossed his arms, showing me that he's willing to listen no matter how long my story is.

I told him everything that happened after I left their house that day, the situation in Seongnam and our trip to Yongsan. I told him about the camp. And that just like them, i know nothing about what caused the invasion.. And that the rest of the troop that im with knows nothing as well.

"How did you manage to come here, with that wound I mean." He said pointing at my leg.

"I guess you could call it luck sir. Since I made it out alive. I was on my way here and was travelling by foot because the road was blocked and my troop was supposed to bring me here but since the road was blocked, I decided to go on by foot."

"Alone?" I nodded. He look so surprise that I went on ahead alone.

"I dont want to risk the others for helping me, and besides they should resume their mission, they need to bring the bus to the camp so they can transport the civilians to the barracks, its safer there." I continued.

"So there's a lot of survivors, not just us?" I nodded again.

"Yes sir, and back at the barracks, we have a lot of ammos. We can protect everyone there. Right after we separated, Eaters blocked my paths so I end up to the woods."

He cut me.. "Eaters?"

"Thats just what we call those zombies, its not as scary as the word zombies so we used them.. Its just something my friend Pfc Choiza came up with. Oh my god, my phone." I said when I remembered that I need to report to Choiza.

Krystal's dad handed me the phone. "It fell from your pocket when I carried you here in the house."

"Thank you sir."

"So after you were blocked by those eaters and ended up to the woods.." He said, persuading me to continue on my stories..

"I fell off a cliff and got this wound. I fell on a pointed branch, so yeah I was injured. Then this eater came, probably because he smelled my blood and it attract him to me. And I killed it."

"You said the zombie got attracted to your blood, how did you manage to made it here with a bleeding leg?" He asked with so much curiosity. 

"I covered my whole body with the eater's blood and internal organs. I guess that have helped to cover my scent.. Their blood smells so bad that its stronger than the smell of my blood.."

"Ahh so that explains why you were all stinky and covered with that dirt. It was a zombie's blood." I nodded. "And how did you came up with that idea?"

"I watched a lot of zombie movies even before I enter the military. I had that idea from Walking Dead sir. A zombie tv show where they had this two episodes that they used the zombies blood to camouflage themselves." Krystal's dad just nodded. I dont know if he's believing me or not but I dont have any reason to lie and Im not praising myself either. Im not the type who carries his own chair way too high above the ground.

"I see.. And how did you had that wound on your head?" He asked pinting on the dressing on my head.

"That I dont know sir. I was perfectly fine when I reached here, well aside from the wound on my leg. I struggled through the eaters in front of your gate and when I was almost near your gate, this eater looked at me from my head to toe and I guess he smelled my blood since the zombie blood on my body was already drying up and my wound is still bleeding. He was about to bite me but I heard gunshots and the next thing I know I was here in Krystal's bed." I explained to him.

"My men had probably fired at the zombie and you got hit when it went through the zombie's head. Youre indeed one lucky fellow Ms. Liu."

"Thank you sir..Im sure Krystal prayed for me a lot." My last sentence made him smile.

"I raised my daughters very well Ms. Liu. I taught them how to be a god loving repectful citizen of our nation." He stood up and held out his hand..

"Im glad that Krystal fell in love with a courageous and humble person like you." Was he.. Did he just complemented me? And did he also gave me permission to finally be together with Krystal?

"I'll appreciate it more if you shake my hands Ms. Liu." I wiped my hands onto the bed sheet and took his hand and shook it lightly.

"Krystal come inside, I know youre there." I tilted my head to the side so I can see the door from where I sit, with Krystal's dad blocking the way..

The door opened and Krystal came in and threw herself to her dad. "Thank you so much Daddy.. Thank you."

Behind them, was Jessica smiling at me. "I guess there's no reason for me and mom to not accept you Amber since you already got my dad's permission." I smiled at her and nodded.

"Did you hear that Amber? Dad finally said yes to us. He finally accepted you Am.. He accepted us.." Krystal said as she flung her arms around my neck and hugged me. 

I hugged back, "I heard it Baby.. I heard it.." 

I looked up at her dad and thank him, he nodded his head and smiled.

"Just next time, close the door before you umm.." Krystal's dad was rubbing the back of his neck, ofcourse he still feel awkward seeing his daughter in that situation even if I wasnt a man. Im sure I'd react the same way he did if I saw my daughter making out with someone inside her bedroom.

"They know it already dad.. Dont worry." Jessica said placing the food tray on Krystal's study table. "Come on Dad, lets share this good news with mom and she'll need help on distributing the food." Jessica winked at me before she closed the door.

 

With all these tremendous things thats happening around us, having a good news like this wont hurt right?