How it started

Against All Odds

"Tell us what you know." I was sitting in front of the unknown man we saved last night as we ran over some few zombies running to get a bite on him. Seeing that he wasnt bitten and neither dangerous, we took him in.

He had claimed that he was working at the National Science Laboratory as a scientist's assistant and had watched everything happened. He said he knows how it started but doesnt know how to put an end to it. We let him rest for the night as our group had talked about if the guy was indeed telling the truth and not faking himself.

"Okay. So I know, it may have sound impossible that I worked on NSL but really I do, before all this happened. So here.. This is my ID." The man said, fishing out his wallet and handing Taeyeon his ID. "Im Choi Seung Hyun, Assistant Scientist I, Im in this project called Blood Modifications where we experiments using animal bloods to kill diseases, we're the ones who practically came out with antiboddies and vaccines we're using in hospitals."

I looked at Taeyeon and she gave me  nod, confirming what the man named SeungHyun had saw was true.

"Can I say something? You really dont look like a scientist, youre more like a soldier to me." Yuri butted in.

"Yeah, I get that a lot, I guess my face and body isnt really for smart nerds huh?"

"And youre conceited." Jessica scoffed.

"I was being sarcastic. Going back to what Im saying, A year ago, we got a new case, it was deadly and many people around the globe had died because of it."

"Wait what? So are you saying all started with a disease?" Eric asked out.

"Unfortunately, yes. We called it PNV12. Its a mix of viral and parasitic disease, it infects everyone but only those who had a very poor immune systems gets to be greatly damaged which leads to death."

"Ohh hold up yoh, everyone's infected?" Jeno said as he pulled the man to face him.

"I said it infects everyone but I didnt said that everyone's infected. Im not really sure up to what that disease's extent to, to be honest, all I know that everyone with poor immune system died after getting the diesease. The infection starts with rashes then coughing comes after, fever, nose and ear bleeding comes next then the person infected starts thinning out as if their body tissues were dissolving drastically then they'll die. That how the disease works. Americans and Koreans tied up to make a vaccine for it and months ago they have come up with a cure, it was a success or so they thought. We've tried using it to ten patients we have back in the lab and the patients showed so much possitive results, they got better well then things started happening after two weeks. The patients slowly lost their ability to think but not their locomotor skills and moreso their Ghrelin, our appetite increaser hormone had drastically increased so even if their brain isnt working they have this urge to eat. We have also noticed that they only eat warm and bloody meats. We had tested all sorts of meat to them and all has common results. The public has no knowledge of it till later this year, before everything went apocalyptic and zombies started running around towns and cities. I was sure that it started when one of the chief doctors responsible for those patients have been bitten and no one in the laboratory knew about it, Dr. Gunner mustve thought it was nothing, not till he was eating his whole family alive."

Everyone's face contorted in grimace, both thinking that someone eating their family is just so gross. Even I cant imagine eating Krystal other than how I occassionally eats her.

Okay this isnt the time to think about naughty things Amber, focus.

"So then its an experiment gone wrong huh?"

"Yeah, I think you could say that. But please dont blame us for everything. We just want to give all these diseases some cure."

"But it all started with you guys. Youre actually the ones who made this more worst. Look how the world have become now." Sam said angrily. Eric had pushed him behind when Sam seemed like he's about to punch SeungHyun in the face. "A lot had died just because of the things you were experimenting on."

"We're just trying to help mankind."

"More like killing them." 

"SeungHyun, does the lab doing any cure for this?"

"They were.. But the lab have been attacked by zombies days ago and all the experiments we've been working hard all got left behind when the one carrying all the samples got eaten alive back at the lab. There's only a few of us who got out."

"But will they cure them?" I asked flunging my arms around Krystal's shoulders.

"Im not really sure. I dont know but the last time I heard, one sample could be the cure. But cant tell. We still need some more testing for that to be verified."

"Were there any more testing laboratories that has the same results as yours?" Dara inquired.

"Actually out of hundreds testing labs around the globe, its only NSL who's got the most positive result."

Everyone fell silent before Krystal blurted out hysterically. "Ohh please dont say what Im thinking youre going to say Amber. Please."

"Why? What is Amber thinking?"

"Seriously Amber?" Eric had said, as if he was seeing through Amber's serious yet smirking face.

"What do you think about having a tour in a Testing laboratory guys?"