Run

Against All Odds

"Corporal, watch out."  I heard someone said behind me, then I heard a gun shot. One of the zombies was about a feet away from me and if it hadnt for Pfc Choiza, I would have been bitten. My foot got stuck on the ground, I couldnt move. 

What the is happening here?

Another zombie walked in and tried to reach me but Pfc Choiza again shoot it. "Come on Corporal.. Come on." He said as he pulled me away.. The zombies then followed us, they came from all direction, every living person they bit came back to life after minutes of lying lifeless in the ground.. I saw it.. I saw how those they have bitten lost their breathe and came back to into something else after dying. Their bodies immediately became pale, their eyeballs became gray and their locomotor became slow.. Just like in the movies..

"Were sent here to die.." I heard one private said, fear was obvious.. Who wouldnt? I mean zombie outbreak, human onlsaught.. Were gonna die out here..

"Corporal." I didnt notice Pfc Schultz has been calling me for many times now till he tapped my shoulder.

"What should we do?" He asked me but I wasnt able to answer..

"We kill them." Our heads turned to Pfc Jimenez. "What? You saw what's happening out there.. those zombies are eating every living person they see.. I dont want to die like that." He said as he checked his gun if its fully loaded with bullets..

We've manage to locked ourselves inside one of the barracks when Pfc Choiza pulled me earlier.. We could hear screams, gunfires and growls around us.. 

 

"Krystal.." I muttered and I headed straight to the door but Pfc Jimenez stopped me. "Where are you going Corporal?"

"I need to go save my only family." I said referring to Krystal.

"But you know whats happening outside.."

"Exactly.. Thats why I need to go and save her before this catasthrope reach Yongsan." 

"It already did.. Around the globe. The last time we saw the news, the outbreak had already started..spread across  Asia, America and Europe." Someone said behind us, and seeing his badge, its Sergeant Kim Kibum.

"Sergeant, whats going on around here.. How did this happened?" Was everyone's questions.

"I dont really know, just like you guys, Ive been called out here to do our mission.. Kill and Protect.. But no one gave out more informations." Sergeant Kim said.

"This cant be real.. I mean zombies?" I heard one private said, probably in Sergeant Kim's group.

"Didnt you see what just happened outside or do I need to take you out so you can see again?" Pfc Jimenez said as she charged over the scared private.

"Thats enough." Sergeant Kim said. "As the higher ranking officer in this group.. I'll take the lead from now on.. Lets stay here for a while, those dead people will eventually go if they dont have someone to eat anymore, thats when we go and take course to Yongsan,we need to get all those supplies there and Im sure someone from HQ can explain something to us."

"Yeah, if someone is still alive there." Pfc Jimenez said and I threw him a glare.

"Lets hope positively here.."

"Yes sir.."

 

I sat myself on the floor and held my hads together, praying for my only girl's safety.. Her and her family.. I saw everyone did too.. Praying for their own love ones across the globe and for themselves too.

As soon as the place got quiet, we readid ourselves.

"We'll sweep the ground for ammos, get as much as you can as quietly as you could, fire if only needed. Every bullet counts, if this is indeed like what we see in the movies, aim for their heads. Lets move out." 

 

 

 

Blood colored the ground red, smokes everywhere, bodies were either recognizable or not at all, skins were ripped apart and internal organs were fished from their insides. I tried so hard not to puke with the devastating sight before me.. This is horrible.. I moved as quickly as I can so I can go to Krystal fast..

 

I need to see her safe..I need to make her safe..

 

A hand hold my feet and it came from an army suited zombie, he's got no legs so I quickly got rid of him and continued with what Im doing, taking all gun ammos, grenades, knives, everything we can use to protect ourselves..

"Corporal behind you." I heard someone shout at me as I picked one riffle on the gound.. A zombie just pushed her weight toward me so we end up on the ground with her on top of me, trying to get a bite.

I have no plan to die like this.. Not now.. 

I immidiately fired the riffle in my hand at the zombie's head and she was motionless, her blood showered my face. Pfc Schultz help me get on my feet and we ran..as much as we can.. We got all the zombies attention when I fired the riffle now theyre on the run for us.. Everyone of them.. We run and run, we could see our members just a couple of few feet ahead of us..

" this.. I didnt sign up for this ." I could hear Pfc Schultz said, running beside me.. I got tripped on a dead body and fell on the ground and when I turned my head around, zombies came in a flash.. I closed my eyes and waited for my end but it didnt happened when I opened my eyes, I saw Pfc Schultz standing in front of me, firing his gun to every zombie that came towards us.. I stood up and helped him by firing my gun too. We started running again but he stopped.

"Come on Pfc.. Lets move." He showed me his arm, he's been bitten.

"How?" I asked them as I looked at the zombies..

"I pulled the one that almost got you and it bit me.." He smiled at me.

"What? Why did you do that?" I asked him as I started firing at the zombies again.

"It doesnt matter, Im finished. You know how it ends up in the movies Corporal, when youve been bitten you'll turn into one of them.. We'll be like them but it could just be me.. Now run Corporal, I'll hold them up for you so you can catch up with them." He said as he threw his bag to me. "There's something inside the bag, I'd appreciate it if you'd give them to my wife. If theyre still alive.

"No.. You give it to them yourself."

"Lets not kid ourselves Corporal.. Now go." He said as he charged himself at the zombies, firing at them, stopping them from getting near to me..

"Run Corporal.. Run." He said as he run out of bullets and made a shileld out of himself, preventing zombies to run for me.. I saw them took a bit of his flesh.. He's already shredding into pieces..

"Corporal, Run.." I saw him pulled the pin from his grenade , my foot moved on its own accord, moving as fast as it can, getting away from that area. I threw Pfc one last look and the next thing I know, a loud deafening explosion blocked everything, I felt pain through my fears and I was slightly thrown at the ground, I cant hear anything but I moved again, pushing myself up and run..

 

Im running like there was no tomorrow..

Im running like Im not getting tired..

Im running like Im after for the finish line..

Im running straight ahead..

 

 

 

 

 

I was running for my life..