Loss

Against All Odds

We heard gunshots, the guards mustve been firing at those zombies who got in from the wreck that stupid driver of that Jeep have caused.

"Amber what should we do?" Krystal dad asked me.

"Tell everyone to hide. Dont make a noise. Is there any safer place where your family can hide?" I  asked him and the basement was his answer. He went to the living room and tried to calm everyone down and told them to hide which everyone did. Dara came along with him.

I asked him where his gun and he held it out in front of me. " Good. Get some knives too." Mrs. Jung and Jessica went to the kitchen and came back with large knives in their hands and some snacks too. "Just incase someone got hungry."

Sometimes, Jessica's way of thinking amuses me a lot.

"Go inside the basement, dont come out till I tell you so. Just dont open it unless its me okay?"

"What? Youre not coming with us?" Krystal snapped at me, obviously not liking every word I said.

"Krys baby.. look.. among everyone, Im the most experienced around here. If there's someone who can last with all these eaters, it probably would be me." 

We reached the basement but Krystal still not letting go of my arm.

"Baby please just stay here with me.." Krystal pleaded. I gave her a kiss on the lips and squeezed her hands.

"I'll come back for you. I promise. So stay here..Okay.." I gave her another kiss.

"Take this and keep the line open." She handed me her sister's phone and connect it to her mom's phone. I just nodded before closing the door behind me.

Good thing that the basement was just right behind the back door from the kitchen so its more accessable.

 

As soon as the door was closed, I could hear what was going on outside with the phone Amber brought with her. I set it in loudspeaker so we all could hear everything.

Gunshots.. Screams.. Grunts. Growls.

Jeno..

Amber said. Is Jeno outside with her? That boy.. What the hell is he doing?

I want to help. Give me a gun.

Jeno. This isnt the time to play. Here catch. Its automatic. Just try not to kill me, okay?

More gunshots.. More screams.. 

We could even hear footsteps just above us and we dont know if its human or the zombies.

My hands are sweating like crazy. Im so nervous and afraid for Amber's safety. And I felt so useless. I want to fight beside my girlfriend, I want to help too but I know nothing. I dont even know how to fire a gun. Yes I have hold one, but I dont know how to use it.

Its scary to hear everything going on even if we're in a safe place. Its still scary..

 

 

 

"Just try not to kill me, okay?" I told Jeno, he's the kid who always asks me about guns and things about the army and survival. I thought it was just out of curiousity since he's a kid and with all the things happening around, I didnt know that I'd give him such idea as to even hold or fire a gun on those zombies.

But for a first timer, he's got a very good eye-hand coordinations. He took out three zombies already by himself.

"Youre good kiddo."

"Im good in shooting games." He said.. We kept on firing at all eater's but theyre too many. The jeep have been moved and created a big hole on the wall. Im assure that the drier went out o the car and was eaten.

"Run back at the house Jeno. Or go on top of that tree. can you?" Jeno nodded. and before I could say my plan he already ran off. God he runs so fast.

I walked straight to the Jeep, firing at the eaters. Theyre everywhere.

"Baby, You could here me right? I want you to get ready. Im going for the Jeep, there's no use to stay here. So I want you and everyone in there to run as fast you can to the back door, I'll wait for you there. I'll give you my signal."

With every step I took towards the jeep more and more eaters came towards me, luckily the body guards was backing me up.

I nodded at them but as soon as I get iside the jeep I saw them being attacked by eaters.

"." I muttered as I panicked starting the car.

"Ohh .. .." 

I felt relieved when it finally started and I drove towards the tree where Jeno is, runnibg over all the eaters that walked right towards the jeep.

As I stopped right under the tree, Jeno jumped on top of the car and I could hear him firing at the zombies nearing the car.

I need to make Krystal's family safe.

That was what I could only think about. I cant let anything happen to them.

 

I gave a fully loaded magazine to Jeno after e jumped down. I gave Krystal my signal and we waited for them to come out so we can go.

The two of us fired at all the zombies, keeping our circumference safe. I could here Jessica's defeaning scream with loud footsteps running towards us.

"Go inside the car.. " I said firing at the zombie behind them.

"Dad No.." I heard Krystal's voice. I looked at behind me and the zombie got Mr. Jung. I fired at the zombie but its too late he's already bitten.

"Go. I'll hold them for you. Keep my daughters safe Amber. I trust you." Mr. Jungsaid and patted my shoulders.

He helped me go to the driver seat by holding those zombies thats blocking my way. I could see them taking every bite they could to Mr. Jung.

"Go Amber and keep my daughters safe. Tell them their mom and I loves them so much." I nodded at him before I entered the car. I drove off as soon as I can and head straight the gate, running it down.

"Mom.. Dad.." I could hear Krystal's and Jessica's cries at the back seat.

No one talked but I could see Dara on the rearview mirror trying to calm the siblings, hugging both of them since she was seated in between them. She just nodded at me.

I nodded back before focusing on the road infront of me.