A little better

Against All Odds

I pulled over once the road was clear of zombies. I went to the back seat and pulled Krystal out of the car and hugged her.

"Im sorry.. Im sorry Krys.." I said as I carressed her hair.

I wont be able to drive us safely if Im worrying at Krystal who havent stopped crying. Jessica have fallen asleep in Dara's lap while she was crying so I dont really need to worry about her that much.

"Am.. My mom and dad are dead.. Theyre dead.." She said in between her sobs.

"I know baby.. and its my fault.. I..I shouldve just stayed and protected your family.. But I.. I needed to try to stop those eaters from entering your house.. But I was too late.. Im sorry.. Im sorry. Its my fault." I whispered to her ears. I tried her hair, hoping that it will calm her even just a bit.

"Amber.. Im scared.. I..I dont want to die.. I dont want us to die.." She cried even more..

"I will never ever let anyone hurt you or your sister.. I promised your dad that I will keep you safe and I will do whatever it takes to keep that promise.. I'll do everything to keep you safe Krys.. Even if it'll cost my life."

She pushed me by my shoulder, creating a gap between us and wiping her tears dry. "No..I dont want you risking your life for me Am.. I need you here.. So promise not to die on me." I just smiled at her. Oh how I love this girl so much..

"Promise me." She demanded with a slight push on my shoulder.

"I promise.. Now.. I know youre still mourning.. But I need you to not be afraid cause out here, its more scary.." I took the gun out of my pocket. It was her dad's gun which he handed me before I went inside the car.

"Here, take this.." I said as I put the gun in her hand.

"Amber..I dont even know how to use a gun." She said, trying to give the small fire arm to me but I held her hand ighter with the gun squeezed between it.

"Baby.. you need the gun jus in case my hands are full,I need you to learn how to protect yourself.."

"But Amber.."

"Krys.. Baby..Look at me.. Look at me.. Out here.. We cant entrust our safety to others.. You need to learn how to shoot at those eaters so you'll survive..Out here, you can only depend on yourself. Yes I will be by your side.. I will keep you safe from harm, but in order to do that I need to be sure that you have my back too. You understand me? I need you to learn how to shoot so if Im in danger you can save me too. I need someone who will back me up and I want it to be you.." I said giving her a kiss on her forehead.

She only nodded. "Now.. This is an automatic hand gun.. I want you to listen to me carefully..  I will tell you the basic so you'll know what is for what and how to use this okay?" She nodded so continued. "This is the magazine, where you put the bullets.. The trigger which you pull so you can fire the gun, ohh wait. Dont do it now. Yah.. Stopfooling around not funny. So this is the slide, the ejection port when you fire it slides then the remnants of the bullets comes out fom here. This is the safety pin, this is the most important thing you should now.. Keep it always in safety mode so you wont fire it accidentally to someone, okay?" She nodded again. "I guess thats just what you should learn Ohh and this.. This is the rear sight, this is where you look so you can focus where you shoot." I said pointing at the rear of the gun.

"Ahh so this is how it works." She exclaimed and amusingly examined the gun.

"Out here, you do what I tell you to do.. When I tell you to run, you run.. When I tell you to hide, you hide. When I tell you to fire, you fire. And.." I trailed off not sure if I tell her this but she need to do things to make her and her sister safe too.

"And what?" She querried.

"And if its inevitable and Im bitten.. Kill me before I kill you."

"But Amber.."She whined. I smiled nad patted her head. "Thats only if something inevitable happened baby.. But I did promised you I wont die on you right?" She nodded and I captured her lips to make her feel less worried. As soon as our lips pulled apart, Jeno butted in. "Hey.. I hate to break your romantic moment, but we've got visitor. Might as well we go and leave them.. Im sure no one is on the mood to entertain any of them."

I nodded at him and opened the car door for Krystal but she didnt went inside and instead she walked in front of me and pointed the gun at one of the zombies..

"This is for my parents.." She said and fired her gun. She hit it by the shoulder and it fell on the ground. She wasnt able to kill that zombie but Im sure it made her feel better. A little better.

"Come on baby." And with that she hopped inside the car and I did too and started driving away, running over those zombies.