I Do.

Incomplete Marriage

 

Changmin’s P.O.V

I sat in my office waiting for her, soon she came storming into my office without the slightest need to knock.

“You’re parents are unbelievable!” she growled, slamming a manilla file onto my desk.

“And to make matters worst, so are mine!”

I sighed, opening the folder. I read its contents and my eyes widened.

“Exactly!” she said, pointing a finger at me.

“Look at that, I’ve studied so hard for this, I love architecture. But now I have to choose. My freedom or my career.”

I gulped, I didn’t know what I could do to help her.

“Not only have I been blacklisted from all the architecture firms in Korea,” she spat, pacing in front of my desk.

“I HAVE TO GET MARRIED IN ORDER TO GRADUATE!”

She sniffed and sat down in one of the chairs in front of my desk, burying her head in her hands.

I read the contract again, clear in front of me was,

‘In order to access your grade, marks and folio for the finishing of the degree. Jang Seung Ni, must complete her one year of work experience as well as be married to Shim Changmin for a duration of at least one year…’

I inhaled deeply.

“My life is ruined!” she sobbed.

I looked at the bottom of the contract, Seung Ni had not signed it yet.

“What are you planning to do?”

She looked up me, struggling not to cry, “I don’t know!” she sobbed.

I nodded, “I can understand.”

“No!” she screamed, “No, you don’t understand. You have a job, a career, you’re rich. You have all the girls lining at the door to be with you. You don’t HAVE to be in this marriage. But I DO. I DO…” 

A tear slipped from her eyes. She looked up, clenching her jaw, “I do…”

I sat in silence, watching her fight with herself. She was defenseless in front of me. And all that hatred I had for her disappeared. Now all I wanted to do was help.

“We could fake it…” I suggested.

She looked up, “What?”

I shifted my lips, “We could get married for that year, then when you graduate you can just leave. We’ll have a divorce. I won’t touch you.”

She sniffed, “What?”

I nodded, “You think about it.”

She wiped her nose and looked at the contract again, chewing her lips. I sighed and leant back into my leather chair waiting for an answer.

“Promise you won’t touch me?”

A smile crept onto my face, but I suppressed it, “Yes.”

She smiled shyly, took my gold pen from its holder and scrawled her name on the line. Nothing was going to stop the marriage now. I went along with her to hand in the contract.

“It’s done!” she spat, giving her parents a glare. “I hope you’re happy.”

They sat nodding, “Now you have a job, and a wonderful husband. Of course we are happy.”

Seung Ni shook her head and stormed out the door.

“Changmin-ah,” Mr Jang sighed, “She’s a stubborn girl, please look after her.”

I snorted, “You shouldn’t have pushed her too much.” I left the room before they could say anything back. 

 

I followed her out to the elevator and out the lobby.

“Drive me!” she snapped, as she tugged at the door handle on my Prius.

I frowned, unlocking the door for her and climbing in, “Seung Ni,” I sighed.

She ignored me, “I want to go out to eat,”

I started the engine and pulled out of the parking spot.

“Where?”

“Those tents,” she said vaguely, “Where the soju is cheap.”

I cringed, I had a phobia of eating out on the streets.

“What?” she snapped, “Mr Shim Changmin, too high class to eat in a tent restaurant?”

I shook my head, “No…”

She rolled her eyes, “What is it then?”

I pulled the car to a stop and got out, with her following after me.

“Which tent do you want?” I said, pointing at the restaurants all lined up in a row.

Seung Ni shrugged and proceeded to enter the one that was right in front of us. We sat down, she did all the ordering of the food.

We said nothing to each other but drink soju. Once she was obviously tipsy she started talking about her dreams to be an architect. 

“Play a game with me hey?”

I shook my head, “You’re drunk.”

“No!” she frowned, “Are you chickening out?”

My eyes narrowed, “No,”

“Good!” she nodded, draining another shot of soju, “Let’s play celebrity heads.”

I frowned. 

She ordered the waitress to hand over two pieces of paper and a pen. She scrawled something onto the paper, it and stuck it on my forehead. 

“Come on!” she snapped.

I did the same.

“Okay!” she grinned, “You go first!”

I sighed, “Well, am I a person?”

She nodded.

“Am I Korean?” 

She shook her head, pointing at the soju, she made me drink.

“Okay, my turn!” she smiled. “Am I female?”

“Yes!”

She grinned and took a shot of soju. 

My eyes widened.

“Am I american?”

I bit my lip, but nodded.

This time she was on the verge of laughing, but she took another shot.

“Am I alive?”

I shook my head. She frowned, but downed some more soju too.

“Am I american?”

She nodded, “Very smart Changmin.”

“Am I an actor?”

She nodded, “YES!”

“Am I married?”

She pouted, “Yes.”

“Do I have children?”

She was glaring at me now, “Drink!” she snapped.

I frowned, “But do I have children?”

“Yes. But drink anyway.”

She continued to glare at me until I took a drink.

I dragged her out of the tent, it was approaching 2:00 am, and we were obviously too drunk to drive. I whipped my phone out of my blazer jacket and called my driver.