Hanbok

Incomplete Marriage

 

I climbed down the stairs, beaming, my heels making soft clicks on the marble. New shoes today, god, it’s been a while since I could freely go on a shopping spree and I am so glad I caught the sale. Especially with all the wedding preparations going on. 

“Seung Ni!”

I skidded to a halt, mid way down the stairs. To my disbelief, Halmeoni stood at the bottom a cross expression on her face.

I cringed inwardly. Not another doctor’s examination.

“I’ve been waiting for you,” she said.

I let out a soft laugh, “Yeah,” I bowed to her, “I can see that.” I climbed down the rest of the stairs.

“Quickly, we need to go.”

I froze, “Ne… Need to go?” I stammered.

She nodded, “You have a Hanbok fitting today.”

My mouth dropped, “Han.. Han..bo…” I couldn’t even spit the word out.

She frowned at me, “What is wrong with your Korean today?”

I brought a hand to my head scratching it.

“You’re gaping like a fish, stop doing that.”

Immediately, I snapped my jaw shut.

“Come on, the markets are so far, we need to get your dress made before Thursday.”

“Halmeoni,” I sulked, wrapping my arm around her shoulder, “May I ask where Changmin is?”

She shook her head, “Oh no, he can’t come with us.”

My mouth dropped, “Why not?” I said, a little bit too harshly. I cringed, biting my lip.

She rolled her eyes at me, “The fitting of a hanbok is not your husbands business.”

I pouted, “If I’m pregnant that obviously means we’ve done something already. He’s-”

“Stop talking!” she snapped.

I placed my finger on my lip, obediently.

Halmeoni let out an exasperate sigh and proceeded to walk out the door. I trotted after her, my eyes wide with curiosity. A hanbok fitting? I didn’t even realise that we were having a tea ceremony.

 

The chauffeur pulled the Rolls Royce to a stop and immediately ran out to open the door to let Halmeoni out. I’ve been wiping the drool from my chin the moment I climbed onto the luxurious seat. I, Jang Seung Ni, barely a qualified architect was riding in a Rolls Royce. I let out a satisfied sigh and climbed out after Halmeoni.

“Stay here,” she instructed the driver. I stood rocking on my heels as she gave the detailed instructions about what to do. Soon after, she lifted her chin and entered the markets with me following closely behind her.

“Why… why aren’t we in Vera Wang or something?” I stuttered, as I tried to keep up with her.

Halmeoni turned to me a look of disgust on her face, “You have lost your cultural background,” she rolled her eyes, shaking her head at me.

I inhaled loudly, my eyes going small, damn, I shouldn’t have opened my stupid mouth. Halmeoni raised her eyebrow at me and turned back around to lead the way. I groaned silently to myself and followed her. We to a narrow path, lined by small shop stalls. The people were getting thicker, and I practically had to shove my way through just to be close enough to not lose the old woman. Finally we came to a small shop, displaying Hanboks in the finest silk. I followed Halmeoni into the store, curiosity immediately written on my face.

“Seung Ni!” she snapped, “Stop looking around like an idiot and come here.” 

I ran to her side, and stood beside her obediently.

“Mr Yu!” she greeted, bowing to an old man. I followed in her lead, approaching ninety degrees.

“Stop that,” she snarled at me, “You’re hurting my grandson.”

I straightened my back. God, why did I keep doing everything wrong today.

“We need a wedding hanbok,” she smiled, “Made of the finest silk of course.”

Mr Yu nodded and crept towards the back of his shop. Halmeoni and I followed closely behind him.

“I will have to measure her first,” he said, pulling out a measuring tape.

Halmeoni nodded, “Of course.” She wrapped her fingers around my upper arm and pushed me before him, “Be careful with her, she’s pregnant.”

I grinned, tapping on my stomach.

Mr Yu gave me a scornful look but started measuring me out. I raised my limbs up and down accordingly to his demands, as Halmeoni watched, still holding a sour face. I sighed, I was never going to please this woman.

After he finished measuring me, Mr Yu turned to Halmeoni smiling, “I’ll make sure that it will be ready for Thursday,” he said bowing.

Halmeoni returned his bow, and I opted for a western curtsy as they were so strict on my bowing. 

 

I followed Halmeoni out the store, she had not said anything since we closed the door of the shop. I sighed, letting my eyes wander the small streets. There were a lot of small ahjumma’s shopping and many halmeoni’s scouting the cheap stalls. I pouted, turning my head left and right, there were so many foods. Maybe I should stop and get some for Changmin. 

“Halmeoni!” I called to the woman before me.

Halmeoni turned around, still frowning. 

“Can I get-” I froze, from behind her two very tall men were quickly approaching her. Instincts took over and I pushed my way to her.

“Halmeoni!” I shouted over the large crowd.

The two men, grabbed her by the upper arm and dragged her away. Halmeoni’s jaw dropped as she looked up at them.

I gasped, “Yah!” I cried out after them.

“HALMEONI!” I screamed, breaking into a run. My heels weren’t helping me on the narrow, uneven streets. I cringed, bending over and pulling them off. 

“Halmeoni!” I called again.

I was getting close to the men. I pushed and shoved against the crowd, my stomach hurting from my stitch.

“Seung Ni-ah,” she called. I ran as fast as I could, ignoring the dirty ground as my bare feet made contact with it. They soon dragged her into a small alleyway and I skidded to a stop, turning the sharp corner and leaping onto one of the men.

“Let her go!” I shrieked into his ear. He easily pulled me off his back, throwing me off balance. 

“Grab her!” the other one growled.

The man before me made a lunge towards me, I ducked away, throwing him a punch.

“Owww…” I whined shaking my wrist.

He snorted, reaching out his hand to get me.

I quickly threw my shoe at him, my heart felt like it was being torn. 50% off Australian brand Wayne Cooper. I wanted to sit there and sob. 

“Yah!” I threw the other one at him. It hit him squarely on the face which aggravated him further.

He grabbed my arm, pulling me against his chest.

I panicked, what have I learnt in self defense class. Oh yes, break his finger if he’s covering my mouth. I paused, but he wasn’t covering my mouth. I cringed. Oh yes, Miss Congeniality, SING wasn’t it. Solarplex, wasn’t it? I dragged my elbow deep into the man’s gut, he bowled over in pain. Instep, I stamped down on his foot, without the heels on, it merely affected him. Okay then, nose. I lifted up my elbow around the side of my head and hit him squarely in the nose. His saliva came out of his mouth. Groin, I raised my knee behind me, swung it back and-

My head exploded with a great pain, I could feel a thin stream of blood trickling down my forehead.

“Stupid ,” someone said from behind me.

I groaned.

“Seung Ni!” I could hear Halmeoni’s faint cry. 

I lifted my head slowly, but then I collapsed onto my knees. Knock out.