Cell Mates

Incomplete Marriage

 

Changmin’s P.O.V (Previously)

My ringtone pierced my eyes, I bolted upwards, my hands fumbling for my phone and my glasses. I shoved the glasses on first, then turned to my alarm clock. 4:55am who could possibly be calling me at five am.

“Hello?” I mumbled.

“Finally,”

I groaned, “Jaejoong it’s nearly five AM, I don’t want to go out to any of your parties.”

“Changmin,” Jaejoong snapped, “It’s not about parties, its about you.”

I groaned again, sinking back onto my pillows.

“You have to stop her tomorrow.”

I groaned. 

“No, you listen to me,” Jaejoong snapped, “You need to stop Seung Ni from signing those papers.”

“Why?” I whinged, “She’s got her own life.”

Jaejoong growled, “Because you love her, you idiot.”

I took my glasses off, holding them in my hands.

“And she loves you,”

“No she doesn’t!” I groaned into the receiver. I could sense Jaejoong rolling his eyes.

“She’s in love with someone already.”

“Yes!” Jaejoong sighed loudly as if I had just had an epiphany, “She’s in love with you.”

I turned my face into my pillow, “Jaejoong are you drunk?”

Jaejoong growled again, “No I am not drunk, I may have had a few to drink but I know perfectly well what I’m talking about.”

“Okay,” I grumbled, “Then you must have amnesia, because I remember me clearly telling you that she’s left me for Hyun Joong.”

“That’s it!” Jaejoong cried, “That’s your problem, you think she’s in love with Hyun Joong.”

I groaned into the receiver.

“Changmin wake up!” Jaejoong snapped, “This is dead serious, she’s not in love with Hyun Joong, they’re just good friends.”

“Listen Jaejoong,” I sighed, rolling onto my back again, “I appreciate you comforting me and everything, but I need to sleep.”

Jaejoong sighed, “Shut up, you listen to me. You’ve got it all wrong, she doesn’t like him, she likes you. She thinks you’re in love with Yeon Hee so she’s standing down.”

I frowned, immediately sitting up, “What?”

“I’m not making this up,” Jaejoong said defensively, “Here… let me get Hyun Joong on the phone.”

I listened to him shuffle around and then Hyun Joong was on the phone.

“Hello…” he groaned.

I rolled my eyes, “What’s Jaejoong going on about?”

“Oh… he’s still going on about it?”

I was confused, “Huh?”

Hyun Joong inhaled loudly, he was obviously drunk as well. “Just listen to Jaejoong,” he sighed, “She loves you. Go and stop her from signing whatever it is.”

I ran a hand through my hair, should I believe them? They were both drunk, maybe they just wanted to make me feel a little better.

“It’s 5am in the morning!” Jaejoong snapped, they had swapped over and I was too preoccupied to realise.

“If it were not important I wouldn’t have called you. I am dead serious Shim Changmin, you get your clothes and go stop her.”

I sighed, “Hyung…” I whinged.

“Now!” Jaejoong growled.

“Okay, okay…” I sighed weakly, “I’m going.” I hung up the phone, sitting on my bed confused, what to do? My eyes landed on the bags that contained all of Seung Ni’s gifts, I was supposed to donate them all away. I got off the bed and walked slowly to them, maybe I could just make up and excuse and give them to her. But then, she didn’t want them anymore. I looked at the Tiffany’s box that contained my heart tag bracelet. I decided to bring it back to bed with me, I laid back down onto my pillow, my hand tucked underneath my head. I held the box up looking at it, my heart feeling uneasy. I reached out my other hand and pulled off the lid. The bracelet laid in the white tissue paper, curiously I pulled at the paper, suddenly the bracelet dropped out onto my chest and consequently fell onto the floor. I sighed loudly, got to my feet and bent down to find it. I stuck my arm in between the gap of my bed and the beside table, my fingers landing on a flat piece, a photo? I pinched it with my index and thumb and pulled it out. It was the prison concept photo, the one where I was leaning in to kiss her forehead. I swallowed the lump in my throat.

 

“What are you looking at?”

She jumped, “Yah!” she complained, “You scared me,” she quickly turned and tucked something underneath her pillow.

I pouted, “I’m sorry.”

She turned to me grinning, “You were looking for me?”

 

My mouth dropped, that day after the photo shoot, I entered her room and she quickly hid something under her pillow. I looked at the photo again, she hid this from me? I frowned, was I the one who pushed her away thinking that she liked someone else. I chewed my lip, maybe she did like me after all. I quickly got to my hands and knees in search for the bracelet again. My fingers felt its cool metal and my heart leapt as I pulled it out of its hiding spot. I quickly ran into the bathroom and threw on yesterdays clothes. I had no time, only three more hours until she would see the lawyers. I shoved on my shoes, grabbed my wallet and made a dash out the door and to my car. I sped down the streets, the sun was rising, giving me hope. As soon as I got to Tiffany & Co I ran straight to the door, the manager was outside waiting.
“Sorry,” I puffed, “Sorry for getting you out so early in the morning.”

She smiled, “It’s okay Mr Shim, we value you as a customer.” 

I nodded, “I need this engraved quick,” I handed her the box, “And I’m going to need another ring.”

I followed her into the dark store, pacing around as she went to turn on all the lights. She took the box from me and went behind the counter, disappearing into the back room. I ran towards the glass cabinets in search for my ring. My eyes landed on it, a grin forming on my lips. It was perfect.

“Mr Shim,” the assistant smiled about half an hour later.

I grinned, “And those please!”

She nodded, promptly placing my ring in the signature blue box. 

“And this is your bracelet,” she handed over the box to me. 

I grinned, quickly paying her and racing back to my car. I quickly drove back home. I sat in the car, they were going to pick it up in fifteen minutes and deliver it to the lawyer. I pulled out my gold pen and wrote the last touches on the back of the photo. I placed the photo in an envelop and placed the Tiffany bracelet on top of it. I inhaled deeply to calm down my nerves and got out of my car. It was all up to that one box.

 

(Present)

I sat in my backyard, a hat on my head and a book in my hand bathing in the minimal winter sun. I looked at my watch, it was 11am she still hasn’t come yet. I was biting my lip in anticipation for her. Soon I heard the buzz of the electronic engine of my Prius. I swallowed hard, quickly getting to my feet and shutting the book in my hand. I crept slowly towards the gate that led to the front of the house. Seung Ni was sitting in the car, expressionless. I frowned, was I wrong? Was Jaejoong wrong? Has she come back to return my car and yell at me. My lips immediately formed into a pout. I stood at the gate watching her as she sat in the car. Suddenly the car door opened and she stumbled out. A lump raised in my throat.

“Oh!” she gasped, her eyes widening.

I stared back at her, not daring to take a step closer to her. She stared back shocked at me, slightly ajar.

“You… you came back…” I stuttered.

She blinked back to reality, “I… I…” she held up the bracelet.

I tilted my head.

She formed a pout, “Well… I just came to see how you are going. You look good. Great actually. You’re even reading! Um… I guess I’ll just go now then.”

My mouth dropped open, “No! No, don’t go.”

She turned around, not knowing what to say.

I inhaled, “I see you’ve received my gift.” 

She looked up at me her eyes wide, “Yes.”

“What do you think about it?”

“I’ve come back to collect my chain?”

I grinned, taking a step towards her, “I’ve missed you.”

She smirked, “You saw me two days ago.”

I shook my head, taking another step closer, “I’ve missed you making burnt breakfast. I’ve missed you telling me how much money you save on shoes. I’ve… I’ve missed you.”

She thinned her lips, “I’ve missed you too. What about Yeon Hee?”

“She’s left for Australia.”

She frowned, “You’re not leaving too?”

I smirked, “Didn’t I tell you I was chained to this prison?”

She smiled.

“My prison cell get’s quiet lonely.”

I grinned, closing the gap between her and myself and pulled her into my arms. She whinged, her eyebrows knitting together.

“Still afraid of the touchy thing?”

She whacked my arm with the Tiffany box, “Don’t you know theres a no touching rule in prison.”

I shrugged, snuggling my cheeks onto her head.