The Designer Price

Incomplete Marriage

 

 

I stuffed my papers into my A2 file and closed the clasp tightening it. If I don't hurry up, I was going to miss the bus. I sniggered, god I hated the bus, too many people, too many germs, too many everything. And plus, carrying a HUGE A2 file wasn't going to make the people travelling with me happy. I quickly latched my hand around the handle of my file, yanked it off my desk and ran out into my kitchen. I picked up my can of Redbull and quickly made a dash outside. 

Okay, I sighed, it was going to take me forty-five minutes to get to school by bus. I checked my watch, damn it, I was definitely going to be twenty minutes late. I pouted watching a taxi drive past. An idea popped into my head, maybe if I bus it half way, I could catch a taxi for the other half of the way and that would save me some valuable minutes. I frowned, today was going to be a day where I must let go of my stinginess. I inhaled a deep breath, goodbye 50000W. I quickly threw a hand out and wavered crazily for a taxi. To my disbelief none stopped by. Here I was, readily happy to hand over my money in order to get to university in time and nobody wanted to help me. I growled to myself. Turning on my heel.

"Yah! Argh!" 

I cringed, my heavy file hit something. I looked up, a pout on my face.

I stared back shocked, "Omm... OMMO" I stammered.

“Yah!” he growled again, “Do you not look where you are going?”

I frowned, sarcasm building up in me, “I’m soooorry! It’s not my fault my grandmother just died and I was too busy thinking of her.” I crossed my fingers behind my back, mentally apologizing to my incredibly healthy grandmother. 

“I can see your hand.”

“What?” I spat.

The stranger pointed to the bus stop, where clearly reflected in the shiny plastic was my entwined fingers.

I untangled my fingers as fast as I could, “Well, that’s just to make sure that my ooooother grandmother doesn’t die.”

“Lying isn’t very good in your case,” he said slowly. He took a step towards me.

“W… w… well,” I stuttered, taking a step backwards.

“Well what?” he spat.

I bit my lower lip, gulping, “I’m sorry.”

His face turned sour, “You’re sorry?” he gasped.

My mouth dropped and I became defensive, “I’m sorry! I apologize. We’re good to go.” I grabbed my file and turned away.

“You!”

I turned back towards him, forgetting about the Redbull in my hand. It’s contents came out immediately, splashing all over the strangers pinstriped pants.

“You!” he growled loudly.

“Huhhh...” I gasped, my body stiffly bent into a bow. “Cheomsahamnida!”

He grabbed a fistful of his pants and his eyes looked like they were going to break, “How are you supposed to pay for my now stained $5000 Armani suit!?!”

“5-5-5,000 dollars?!” It was my turn to shriek. “Y-Y-You want me to pay for what?! Dollars?”
“You didn’t think that you’d get away with this, did you?” he backfired.

My mouth dropped, I didn’t know what to do. “You… you… you were the one who attacked me!”

“Attacked!”

I nodded, “Y-Y-Yes! If you hadn’t moved towards me so fast, I wouldn’t have reacted like that.”
He laughed. “You must be joking!” he sniggered.

I frowned, “Since it was mostly your fault, and partly mine, how about I pay the dry cleaning for you?”

He frowned, “Do you know who I am?”

I shook my head.

He continued glaring.

My shoulders rose slowly and I gave him a shrug, “Nups,” I said with a little smile.

His mouth tightened, he raised his hand above my head, “Now if you would casually look over there.”

I followed his hand with my head.

“And?”

He crossed his arms, “Now, are you naturally dumb? Or is this just an act?”

I growled, but he ignored me.

“See that big shiny building over there.”

I tilted my head not quite following.

“That’s mine.”

I stared at the luxury hotel, , why does my bus stop have to be in front of that.

“We have three hotels in Korea alone,” he continued. “One in Las Vegas, one in Japan, one in Aus…”

“Yeah… yeah…. Yeah… you talk to much.”

He growled, “I’m big. Way up there!” he raised his hand above his head to emphasize, “Now I demand that you pay me back.”

I looked at him flabbergasted, “I have a small room, school fees to pay, school books to buy, a hole in my sock that I need to stitch back. Now 5000W I can do, but dollars? Dollars?” 

I folded my arms, “Now tell me, someone so… BIG, like you,” I raised my hand above my head, “How can you demand a student like me to pay you $5000.”

He snorted, “I don’t care.”

“Well isn’t that convenient,” I sighed, “Of course people like you ‘don’t care’”

He glared at me.

“I’ve already told you, I will only pay for your dry cleaning take it or leave it,” I whipped out the cash from my back pocket and wavered it in front of him.

He immediately snapped it out of my hand.

“Good!” I cried, dusting my hands off, “Nice doing business with you.” I gave him a sarcastic smile and turned around when a hand landed on my shoulder.

“Not so fast,” he said calmly.

“What?”

“You don’t think you can run so easily away from debt do you?”

“What do you want?”

“Well,” he began with a smug face, “People earn money by working.”

I nodded, not sure where he was heading.

“So…” he said with a sly smile.

I wrapped my arms around me defensively, “I AM NOT DOING THAT!” I snapped.

He looked down at me and snorted, “What? NO! YOU?” he laughed.

I frowned, “Thenwhatisityouwant?” I said quickly to cover my embarrassment.

“Work for me, I’m in dire need of a cleaner.”

My mouth dropped.

“You don’t want to go to court do you? I doubt you’ll have the money to hire an attorney.”

I inhaled deeply, god he was irritating.

“Here’s my card, call me to discuss this yeah?”

He handed me a black shiny business card with silver lettering. None of the fancy stuff. Just thick bold arial font.

I frowned and stuffed it into my back pocket.

He turned around and quickly walked off.

I sighed with relief, at least that was over. As if I was going to call him. He can wait by the phone for the rest of his life...

“Now don’t lose it!”

I jumped.

“The card, don’t lose it. I’ll be watching you.”

I snorted, “GOODBYE!”

I pulled my file closer, my eyes sweeping over the hotel again. My lip jerked in distaste, I am never ever going to use this bus stop again. Never ever want to come across that hotel again, and definitely never ever want to see that arrogant hotel heir again. I sighed, I’ve lost the mood to go to university now. I pouted, turning back to the direction I came from. All I have to do now, is sneak past my mum and hibernate in my room.

 

I woke up, my loud handphone ringing on my bedside table. I quickly scrambled for my glasses, stuffing them onto my face with one hand and picking the phone up with the other.

“WHERE ARE YOU?”

I jumped, what the? “Hello?” 

“WHY AREN’T YOU HERE YET?”

I frowned, did I sign up for anything today? Gym membership? No. Cooking class? Yeah right. A job? Who was I kidding. I checked my watch, it was 8am.

“Hello?”

“ARE YOU PLAYING DUMB WITH ME AGAIN?”

I quickly hung up my phone. What the heck was that about? Immediately it rang in my hand. 

“Hello?”

“What part of ‘I need a cleaner?’ do you not understand?”

My jaw drop, this has got to be a dream. Idiot me. How could I even think about dreaming about him. I hung up again. I sat on my bed for ten minutes. The phone did not ring again, thankfully. I turned my phone off and quickly ran to the bathroom. 

“Seung Ni!”

“OMMA?” I called from the bathroom.

“You have a visitor!”

I frowned, a visitor? I grabbed a hair tie and ran out into the hall, quickly bunning up my short hair. “Who is…” my jaw dropped.

“Annyeong  ha sim ni kka!” he said.

I bit my lip, “What are you doing here?”

He raised an A4 sheet to my face, “This is your contract.” he grabbed my hand, dipped it into an ink palette and rolled it across the page.

“Wha…” I growled.

“Now it’s official. I’ll give you five minutes to look decent and I’ll see you downstairs.”

I stood gasping. My mouth opening and closing like a gold fish but I was all out of words. I stormed back to my room, threw on some clothes and trudged out after him.

“Seung Ni!” my mother yelled, “What is this?”

“BUSINESS!” I snapped.

I looked at his black Bently, he was sure rich. He had scooted over and left a seat for me. I stood between the door and the seat, an eyebrow raised.

“Well get in,” he said, crossing his leg.

I frowned.

“Don’t make me make you.” He grabbed my arm and dragged me in.

I sat next to him not saying a word. 

“That was very rude of you to hang up on me this morning.”

I shrugged.

“Twice!” he growled.

I smiled, “Well… I thought I was dreaming.”

He raised a brow.

“A handsome guy like you, calling me, surely that isn’t possible.”

He frowned.

“Was it hard to get my number? If you wanted to ask me out, it would have been more polite to ask me for my number personally.”

Changmin rolled his eyes, “Don’t flatter yourself.”

I crossed my arms and sulked.

“What are you good at?”

I rolled my eyes, “Nothing!”

He pulled out his smart phone and slid out the keyboard and started typing. Curious I leant over and reading what was on the screen.

“BACKCHAT minus -$10!” I spat.

He shrugged, “How else am I going to make you shut up?”

I pouted, “Fine! WHAT!”

“Well, I’m going back to the office. We were working all night, there are papers strewn everywhere.”

I rolled my eyes.

“Gonna need you to clear that, then grab my colleagues and I some lunch, then I’m going to need you to book my facial appointment, my masseuse and call my stylist.”

My mouth dropped, “You said cleaner yesterday, right?”

Changmin rolled his eyes, “Okay, here’s the deal. This, or clean the bathroom, mop the floors, clean the kitchen, do the washing ecetera.”

I pouted in thought.

“And this way, means you get to argue with me all day, how convenient.”

I gave him my most fake smile and nodded, “Fine.”

We arrived outside the hotel, the chauffeurs quickly ran to open the door for Mr Shim Changmin. I followed him out the leather interiors of the Bentley and onto the marble floors of the hotel entrance. I couldn’t hold my mouth as I gasped at the wonderful architecture. I was practically drooling.

“Seung Ni!” he snapped.

I jumped, “What?”

“You’re dirtying the floor.”

I frowned and continued following him. We entered the lift and promptly went up to the highest level and down an immaculate hall to his office. When Changmin opened his office, I nearly vomited. There were old coffee mugs, paper everywhere, old sandwiches and so on. The place was a pigsty. 

He shrugged, “It’s holiday season.”

I gasped, as I tread around a black sweater on the floor.

Changmin sighed and dug his hands into his pockets, “Well come on, I don’t have all day.”

He sat in his leather chair, busily on his computer as I slaved around his room. Cleaning and tidying all his papers. The papers were the worse, I had to organize everything by date, in cash and cheque, in alphabetical order. I never want to look at letter headings again.

 

“Where’s my lunch?”

“What?” I gasped.

Changmin looked away from his computer and down at his empty desk, “Where’s my salmon and cream cheese bagel?”

My mouth dropped, he couldn’t be serious. But he just continued glaring at me.

“You… you didn’t ask for it,” I said softly.

Changmin slammed a had to his forehead, “I don’t need to.”

This time I was angry, “I DON’T READ MINDS!” I hollered back.

Changmin rolled his eyes, “What are you still doing here? I’m hungry!”

I ran from the room as quick as I could and down into the lobby. I ran into the first restaurant I could find and promptly ordered a cream cheese and salmon bagel. As soon as it was ready, I grabbed the ceramic plate and ran towards the lift. I pushed the heavy door into his office to see him holding my phone an angry look on his face.

“Don’t you know to bring your phone with you every where you go?”

I stared at him.

“I WAS CALLING YOU.”

I bit my lip.

“I don’t want the cream cheese and salmon bagel anymore. I want a ribeye with mushroom sauce a 50g salad side with blue cheese dressing and a glass of Petrus.”

I dropped my mouth, “You can’t be serious.”

Changmin folded his arm, “I’m deadly serious.”

I was steaming, I wasn’t going to let this arrogant hotel heir tell me what to do. “Then you can go EFFFFFFF yourself.” I threw the plate and the bagel at him and stormed off.”

“YOU’RE SO WEAK YOU CAN’T EVEN SWEAR PROPERLY.”

I turned around, gave him the finger and then exited into the lift.