A Tree of Life

Incomplete Marriage

 

Seung Ni’s P.O.V

 

I sat at the kitchen bench, me feet in green converses dangling from the stool. I was wearing jeans today and a green converse jumper. I had big plans and a green brochure laid in front of my hot chocolate.

“What the?” he said, as he reached for the coffee machine and switched it on.

I snapped my head around to face him, “Morning,” I smiled.

He gave me a frown, but sipped his coffee anyway, “You’re not going to work?”

I shook my head, “No,” I smiled, lifting up the brochure, “It’s Plant a Tree Day,” I grinned, waving the leaflet in front of me.

He grinned nodding, “Ah… I see.”

I tilted my head, what was he getting at.

He pointed to his shoulder, “No power shoulders? No necklaces?” He bent over, “No heels?”

I laughed, “I’m not going to a fashion shoot.”

He nodded, “Glad to know you dress sensibly.”

I shrugged, “Manolos getting dirtied by soil? That would definitely kill me.”

“Of course,” he grinned, placing the mug in the sink, “The shoes come first.”

I nodded, “Exactly!” I cheered, jumping to my feet.

“You want a lift?”

I nodded, “Yes please! To Central Park!”

He pulled over to the curb and I jumped out of the Prius, a Burberry bag in my hand. I was totally excited, who said you can’t be fashionable whilst planting trees. 

Changmin gave me a funny look but I was still grinning.

“Burberry again?”

I nodded, pulling my new pair of gumboots from the bag, “40% off Christmas sale!” I nearly hailed.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kthiqyYgRA1qa1bf4o1_500.jpg

He laughed, “I could save a fortune shopping with you!” 

I nodded, “Of course!”

Changmin raised a brow, but decided not to say what he was going to say. “Well,” he sighed, “Goodbye.”

I watch his car drive off, whatever, who cares if he doesn’t care about planting trees. Who cares if I’m not as rich as he is and only buy my designer clothes on Christmas sales. I climbed up the hill, folding the Burberry bag into a square so that I could easily put it in my satchel. I always collect my bags, they were sacred.

“Seung Ni!” Taeyeon called.

She had been an environmental volunteer since forever. I first met her when she came at me and shoved a flyer at me asking me to help recycle. Of course I agreed, I was the one who folded up my designer bags. And from then on, every volunteer opportunity that came up Taeyeon and I were always there.

“I’ve been waiting for you since 8am,” she smiled, shoving a pair of gloves into my hands.

“I’m sorry,” I smiled, looking at all the people that turned up to help out.

“Trees are over there, tools over there,” she cried, pointing to the rows and rows of trees in small containers. 

I nodded, “Yup!”

“And you know what to do.”

I nodded, of course I know what to do. I’ve been doing this for the past four years.

“Yuri here, is a friend of mine.” Taeyeon had placed a pretty girl in front of me in a nice straw hat. My eyes nearly fell out, it was the straw hat that I was eyeing in one of the cheap chain stores. I was immediately envious, it didn’t look that good on me.

“It’s her first time, can you please help her out?”

I grinned, “Definitely!”

 

That day I made friends with Yuri, it turns out we were both totally interested in fashion. Although I loved architecture just as much, she loved singing. We planted rows and rows of trees, turned the soils and did some weeding to ensure that the trees grew in a good environment. We ate veggie sandwiches and drank from recycled bottled water. I was having a blast, the wedding didn’t even come up in my head. The sun was soon disappearing but the next location we were supposed to go to was not even done yet. As I watched people leave for their own commitments, Yuri, Taeyeon and I started packing up for the next location.

“I hope we could get all this done by tonight,” Taeyeon sighed, as she packed the trees into a trailer.

I was holding a whole bunch of tools but I still managed to nod.

“Need help?”

I turned around to see Hyun Joong smiling, gloves already on. My heart did a leap, he volunteers too? As soon as he saw me, his face broke away from its smile. I bit my lip.

“Seung Ni ssi,” he smiled, “I didn’t know you volunteered.”

I grinned, “Every year!”

Taeyeon nodded, “So does Hyun Joong, but you always leave before he comes.”

I nodded, “Oh…” I shifted my lips to the side embarrassed.

He smiled, his eyes crinkling, “You’ve must have worked hard today.” He took a step closer taking the tools from my arms.

I nodded, my eyes landed on my Burberry boots. He must have thought I was some shallow designer bimbo. Suddenly I felt stupid for being excited for putting on the gumboots. I cringed, my eyebrows knitting into a knot. We soon got into the mini van and drove to our next location. As soon as we got there we started working immediately, before it got too dark and cold.

I dug the small holes as Hyun Joong gently pulled the small trees from their containers. He would put the tree into my hole and pat down the earth as I sprinkled on the fertilizer. 

“So how early did you get here?” he smiled, gently patting on the earth.

I shrugged, picking up the shovel, “Around 8:30,” I said, avoiding his eyes on me.

He nodded, “Sorry for not coming any earlier,”

I shrugged, “You must have been busy, with your studies and the practice.”

Hyun Joong smiled, putting the tree into the hole I just dug. He began patting the earth, me helping him shovel the earth back into the hole. Our hands landed on top of each other. Immediately my eyebrows knitted together in embarrassment. 

He looked up at me, his hands still on mine, “I heard about how you got forced into the marriage.”

I inhaled sharply.

“It’s okay, Changmin, Jaejoong and I speak very freely with each other.”

I smiled shyly.

“I’m sorry,” he apologized, but he didn’t move his hand.

I pulled my hand away, bringing it to my forehead, “Ha…” I sighed.

He thinned his lips, nodding. He turned to grab another tree as I began digging again.

We continued our routine in silence but I could feel his eyes on me. What was wrong with me, a week ago I had wanted to throw myself into his arms. Now I was embarrassed, too frightened to even flirt back. He was everything I liked, smart, considerate, a volunteer and he loved art. 

I turned to him a smile creeping to my face, “Howaboutlunch?” I said quickly.

He smiled, “Definitely.”

I giggled, this was going great.

“How many more to go?” a voice said, with an excited clap.

I frowned, I knew that voice.

I turned around, a frown already on my face. Changmin stood a few meters away still in his business suit.

“Changmin!” Hyun Joong grinned, “You made it!”

Changmin nodded, “Every year, just a bit later than you.”

My mouth dropped, that arrogant fool volunteered?

They clapped hands as guys do, I was still kneeling in the earth sulking.

Changmin looked down at me, “Chop! Chop!” he frowned, “We don’t have all day.”

My upper lip jerked upwards, but still I turned around and continued digging. Soon Hyun Joong and a gloved Changmin joined me.

“You’re digging!” Hyun Joong instructed.

Changmin nodded, taking the shovel out of my hand. 

Changmin dug, Hyun Joong planted, and I fertilized. We were working really fast, the guys in deep conversation with each other, digging and planting, I stood on the side sprinkling fertilizer. Damn Changmin how dare he come along and ruin my night with Hyun Joong.

“Do you want to go to dinner with us?” Changmin asked Hyun Joong, as he took the garden gloves off.

Hyun Joong smiled his crooked smiled, “Of course!”

Changmin turned to me a brow raised, “You have no choice!”

I frowned. I was screaming inside.

We helped Taeyeon pack up everything, bid our goodbyes and left.

“How’d you get here?” Changmin asked Hyun Joong, completely ignoring me.

“Bus!” Hyun Joong laughed.

Changmin laughed too, “Damn, you beat me again.”

Hyun Joong shrugged, “The Prius is good too.”

Changmin shook his head, unlocked the car door and they both climbed in. I rolled my eyes, I was forced into the back seat.

“Sushi?”

“Like always.”

I rolled my eyes, it was going to be a long night.