Bikes

Incomplete Marriage

Seung Ni's P.O.V

I squinted at the road, despite my throbbing headache, I thought that I was well enough to drive. The only problem however, was that I had no clue where we were and which direction I was supposed to be heading in.

I turned to Halmeoni trying to put my brightest smile one, “Do you by any chance have an idea where we are?”

Halmeoni’s brow furrowed, “Are you serious?”

I rolled my eyes, of course I’m serious, this isn’t exactly the time to be asking stupid questions.

I turned to her, “No, just joking, I… I know where we are.” I stamped harder on the accelerator.

She growled, folding her arms before her.

I sighed softly to myself and turned my head back onto the road, okay, if I just keep driving straight I’m bound to get somewhere familiar.

“Does your phone work?” Halmeoni asked, tapping at her own.

I frowned, goodness, I haven’t even turned it on yet. “It’s there,” I tilted my head down at the cup holder on the island between us, “You take a look for yourself.”

She fumbled with the centre piece and pulled my phone to her eyes, “Your password?”

“Changmin’s birthdate year,” I answered, a small smile on my face.

The phone buzzed to life, “No reception either,” she growled, “Do you know where you’re going?”

I cringed, “Ye… yeah…” I nodded quickly.

She dropped my phone into her lap and leaned back again.

I clenched my jaw together, trying to calm my nerves. I don’t want to see her again after this, until at least a year, oh, and the only exception is the wedding. 

“Are you sure you know where we are going?” she groaned this time.

I turned to her, my upper lip curled, yup, she was annoying. “Yeah,” I dropped my head in a nod. I looked down at the dash board, we had driven 144 kilometers already. My eyes widened, that far already? My face scrunched in distress. Then suddenly the red light flashed on. 

My heart stopped, “No…” I mumbled.

Halmeoni’s head whipped to me immediately.

My lower lip shook, “The… the…”

She frowned.

“We have no petrol,” I gasped, my finger jabbing at the red light and the needle on the E.

Halmeoni started wheezing, making my mind run with wild thoughts.

“GET US HOME!” she screeched.

I banged my hand on the steering wheel, “I’m trying to!” I yelped.

Halmeoni’s eyes widened, “I’m not going to die beside you!” she screeched.

My mouth dropped, “YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DIE!”

“I WILL WITH YOU DRIVING!”

I was sneering now, my hands tightening around the steering wheel. “You be quiet and keep your eyes out for any reception!”

Immediately Halmeoni’s hands fumbled around the phones and she held them both up in the air.

“It’s your stupid service, its got no reception!”

I snorted, “Neither does yours!” I argued back.

“STOP, STOP, STOP!” she gasped, her hands flipping up and down.

I turned to where she was pointing and saw the little lunch bar with too many motorbikes parked in front. I pressed my foot onto the brakes and shifted the gears down. I was ready to leap into the air. I pulled the van to a stop outside and climbed out.

“Water!” I nodded.

Halmeoni sniggered, “You need petrol.”

I pouted, why did she have to be so difficult? Thinning my lips, I gave into her and nodded, “Right,” I sighed, clenching my teeth together, “Petrol.”

She lifted her chin up, “You go in and ask.”

My mouth pried ajar, “By myself?” I gasped.

She nodded, “Of course, I would lose all my reputation being seen in there.”

“Oh! Ommo!” I gagged, my fingers resting on my temples, “This is not a time to hold onto your pride!”

Her lipped jerked, “I’m not going in there!”

I mimicked her facial expressions, “Fine!” I spat, “I’ll go in, then.”

I climbed out of the van, my feet shaking. I closed the door slowly and took a few small steps towards the shack. I cringed, it didn’t look inviting. Biting my bottom lip I took some more steps closer. There was a huge ‘crash’ causing me to launch myself into the air. I quickly ran back, and clambered into the van.

“Not… SAFE!” I puffed.

Halmeoni’s eyes narrowed.

I nodded, swallowing down my breath, “Not… going… back!” I coughed.

Halmeoni pursed her lips, “Then how are we going to get out of here?”

I pouted, turning my head here and there. My eyes landed onto the bike that was closest to us. 

“That!” I slyly smiled.

Halmeoni raised her brow, “What?” she spat.

“Follow me,” I beckoned, as I climbed out again, closing the door softly. I turned back to the bike, my eye widening. Halmeoni’s eyes turned into worry but she followed me out. We kept low and crept towards the sleek, black bike. I was becoming giddy.

“Can you do this?” Halmeoni hissed into my ear.

I nodded.

We approached the bike and I latched my fingers around the plastic cover of the engine and yanked it off.

“My brother taught me how to hijack these things the day I turned sixteen.”

Halmeoni’s jaw dropped.

I smirked as I unscrewed the cover and pulled the wires out.

“Black and red!” I chimed, winking.

Immediately the bike roared and I climbed on, “HURRY!” I gasped. I grabbed the helmet, placed it on Halmeoni and ran towards the other bike and stuffed that helmet onto me. I climbed onto the bike, revving the engine underneath my palm. God, I haven’t done this since I was eighteen. 

“Come on!” I grabbed Halmeoni’s hand and pulled her on.

As soon as her arms wrapped around my waist, I shifted the gear and kicked off the ground.

“HEY!” someone roared.

I giggled. But my face changed when I heard the roar of a dozen or so bikes. I accelerated faster, breaking into triple digits. The good thing about the bike was that I couldn’t hear Halmeoni’s screams of abuses over the wind and the roar of the bike. The bad thing about it, was her nails digging into my waist as I climbed up the speedometer.

“Oww oww owww!” I whinged, nudging her fingers with my elbow. But she still held on.

“WE’RE GOING TO DIE!”

I rolled my eyes, how big were her lungs.

“YOU’RE GOING TO KILL ME!”

I sniggered. Turning my head around, the bikes were still after us.

“THEY’RE GOING TO KILL US!”

Suddenly, I hit the freeway and more and more cars came into view. My heart leapt with glee. Halmeoni was still screaming into my ear.

“POLICE!” she screeched.

I turned the bike around and revved towards them. Their sirens came on and they chased us to the side of the road. I reduced the gas to the bike and pulled to a stop.

“Put your hands above your heads!” the policeman called through his speakers.

Halmeoni still had her nails dug into my skin.

“Halmeoni! Halmeoni!” I shook her shoulders.

She let go of me.

“Hand’s above your heads!” I hissed, raising my own above my head.

She sneered, “I Shim, Hae Ra will not raise my hands above my head like some fugitive.”

I sniggered, “Just do it will you!”

She growled.

“I will say it one last time, raise your hands above your head!”

I sighed, bringing down a hand to prod her. She flung her hands above her head, not without the most deadliest glare in the world.

I sighed.

“On your knees!’
My mouth dropped, this was getting too far.

“On your knees now!”

Halmeoni was mumbling abuses as she got to her knees. 

“YOU TOO!” the policeman shouted.

I jumped to my knees in a blink of an eye.

They walked over to us, “ID please!”

I couldn’t believe it, “We don’t have any ID.”

“DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM!” Halmeoni shouted.

I cringed.

“Are you arguing back with me old lady?”

dropped, “What did you call me?”

I tried to signal the policeman to shut up. He stepped closer to her, “I will arrest you for assaulting me.”

She sniggered, “I did no such thing.”

“I will arrest you for failure to co-operate.”

She growled, “You dare!” 

He sneered and took a step towards her.

“NO!” I gasped.

He turned to me.

“Don’t touch her!”

“I will arrest you to!”

I rolled my eyes.

“Are you bleeding?”

I touched my temple, my fingers were laced in blood. I jumped, goodness, was I bleeding that much.

“We were kidnapped, we managed to escape.”

The policeman glared at me then roared with laughter.

My mouth dropped, “I’m SERIOUS!” I screeched.

He turned to Halmeoni, “What did you say your name was again?”

Halmeoni’s lip jerked in disgust, “Shim, Hae Ra.”

He roared with laugter again, “Shim Hae Ra?” he laughed, “Shim Hae Ra of Shim hotels?”

She nodded, lifting her chin slightly.

“You must be delirious woman!”

“Ommo!” I gasped. He had no idea who he was messing with.

He pulled out his handcuffs, “I’m going to arrest you for obstructing the justice.”

I froze, “No!”

“You too!”

My mouth shook, what was he going on about, no, he can’t arrest us.

He wrapped the handcuffs onto Halmeoni who was screaming and fidgeting under his strain.

“Don’t touch her!” I shouted.

He snorted and moved onto me, I wriggled around, but he folded the cold metal around my wrist. I was sneering.

Suddenly his radio beeped with life.

I froze.

“698237, we have a very strong signal of the kidnapped victims coming within 100m of you,” the radio barked.

The policeman straightened his back and looked around, “I’m just dealing with two suspicious people, I will make my way to the signal immediately,” he radioed back.

I rolled my eyes, this guy was too stupid, how the heck did he pass his test.

“We’re on our way to you now!”

“Yah!” I screamed, “We ARE the victims of the kidnapping!!!”

He glared at me, “One more word from you and-”

Another siren rang and the police car pulled up the curb.

“Yah!” I screeched, “We are the victims of the kidnapping.”

The other police officer leapt out his car and ran to us.

“Shim Hae Ra?” he leant down on his knees to Halmeoni.

She nodded, “GET ME OUT OF HERE!” she barked into his ear.