A New Leaf

Incomplete Marriage

 

Seung Ni’s P.O.V

 

I sat on the stone steps of the park waiting for Changmin. He was so persistent that I come to see him today, only two more days before we meet the lawyers to end whatever it was, officially.

“Seung Ni,” he puffed, as he got to me. 

I stood up slowly. He was in a blue sweater, cream pants that cut off at the ankles and glasses. I frowned.

“What’s wrong?” Changmin said suddenly.

He must have noticed my confused expression, I immediately smiled, “Nothing… you wear glasses?”

Changmin nodded shyly, “I was in a rush okay?”

I raised a brow, “To ditch the suit?”

He smiled thinly at me, “It’s a new look.”

I tilted my head.

“I’m taking time off from the hotel. My dad took over yesterday.”

I leant back in disbelief.

He shrugged, “I’m not going to hide anymore.” 

I nodded slowly, “Okay…”

He was looking around the park. I tilted my head, what did he want from me?

“Hey, do you want ice-cream?”

My eyes widened, was he serious? “In this weather?” I gasped.

He shrugged, “How about some crepes?”

I folded my arms, “What is it that you want from me Shim Changmin?”

Changmin smiled shyly bringing up a hand to his head, “Um…” he stuttered. I frowned, where was the arrogant fool that I’ve come across?

“We’re going to be separated officially soon, I just don’t want to end our relationship with bad note.”

I snorted, “What relationship?”

He shrugged, “The on going off going fights,”

I laughed, raising my eyebrows in disbelief, “Glad that’s over then.”

He smiled, “Crepes?”

I smirked, “Sure, you keep insisting on it.”
We sat in the french patisserie a large plate of crepes in front of us. Changmin looked different. Maybe Yeon Hee coming back changed him. He said he was no longer hiding under his work load, maybe she returned him back to the way he was. I shifted uncomfortably, so it was all her? I had nothing to do with changing him? I dropped my knife onto my plate and looked away, my mind wondering off. Contemplating. Did I even have an impact in his life? I snuck a look at him, he was happily munching away. If this was the real Shim Changmin, I missed out. I was pouting without realizing it.

“What’s wrong?”

I jumped, “What?”

Changmin looked at my empty plate, “You’ve stopped eating.”

I shrugged.

He smiled, his eyes mismatched, “For all the time that I’ve known you, you have not once not finish your food.”

I laughed, “For all the time that I’ve known you, you’ve never once cared.”
He laughed, “It’s a new leaf for both of us then.”

I nodded.

“It’s the annual walk-a-thon,” he said casually.

I frowned.

“You would be there right?”

I smiled nodding.

“Great!” Changmin grinned, “I knew that there was something to look forward too when I signed up.”

I laughed, “What? You’re going to walk behind me and laugh at me.”

Changmin grinned, “Maybe.”

I smirked, “Sponsor me first.”

“Will you finish?”

“Of course, who do you think I am.”

Changmin grinned, “You finish it and I’ll give you the Legacy Ring.”

My face dropped, he wants to throw away that ring already? It didn’t even mean anything to him. It was once my engagement ring, that… that meant nothing? I suddenly wanted to vomit.

I swallowed hard, “All that… for the kids?” I stammered.

He nodded, “Yup!”

I found it hard to breath, “Ha…” I sighed, “Um…” I stood up quickly, grabbing my bag, “I’m going to go…”

Changmin’s face dropped, “Already?”

I nodded quickly, turning away from him. He can not see me break down like this.

“I’ll see you tomorrow…” I ran away, my heels tapping across the pavement.

 

======================================================

Changmin’s P.O.V

 

I sat at the table, disappointment washing over me. I had been anticipating to see her for days now, and when the time came she ran away? I swallowed hard, the plate of crepes no longer appealing. I threw my knife and fork onto the plate hard, it made a loud ‘clang’ and dropped onto the floor. I bent over to pick it up, my eyes landing on her white iPhone. My heart leapt. I laced my hand around it quickly and got to my feet. She hasn’t left for long, maybe I could catch her and make her stay with me for longer. After the intervention with my friends, and the huge hangover that followed after, I had my epiphany. I wasn’t going to be the fast pace Koran business man anymore. I want to return back to Changmin, the Changmin before I got my heart broken, the Changmin before I met her, the Changmin that she can’t help but fall for. My steps got bigger as I crossed the road, looking for her.

I caught sight of her dress, a smile creeping to my face. As I rounded the corner I saw them, my heart dropping immediately. Hyun Joong had his hand around Seung Ni’s shoulder, a smile on his face as he looked down at her head on his shoulder. I stood frozen on the foot path, I can’t possibly give her phone to her now. I turned away slowly, I felt numb, she wasn’t going to fall for me, no matter how much I wanted her to. She already had someone else. I swallowed the lump in my throat and dragged myself back to my car. It’s too late, I’m going to have to let her go.

 

======================================================

Seung Ni’s P.O.V

 

I kept walking, my head down, I kept telling myself that I wouldn’t cry, it was a fake marriage after all. The ring? It was everything I hated. I sniffed loudly, not looking at where I was going. My head bumped a shoulder, I looked up distressed.

“Seung Ni?” the voice said gently.

My head cleared, my vision better, Hyun Joong, obviously concerned was looking down at me.

“What happened?” he frowned.

I sniffed, “Changmin said he’ll sponsor me with the engagement ring.”

Hyun Joong’s mouth dropped, “No,” he sighed. He swung his arm around my shoulder and dragged me into a hug. I pouted, he was the only person who knew what a mess I was.

“You deserve more than that ring.”

I laughed, “That’s not it…”

He looked down at me, a smile on his face, “Just tell him you love him.”

My eyes narrowed, “Don’t you dare!” I snapped. 

He laughed, “Then, you can always take the ring and run.”

I rolled my eyes, “You know I don’t want it.”

He nodded, “Of course.”

I pouted again, he was making a joke of a very serious matter.

“Well it’s obvious that you don’t want to leave him, why act all heroic and terminate the contract? You could have said nothing and spent a whole year with him.”

I raised my hand, pushing Hyun Joong’s grin away from me, growling. 

“He has her,” I sighed.

Hyun Joong was dragging me down the streets, the street stalls no longer appealing to me.

“You don’t know that…”

I shook my head, “No. I do know. He said he was turning a new leaf, he was returning back to the Changmin before the dumping, the Changmin before the arrogant jerk of a business man that I HAD TO RUN INTO!”

Hyun Joong was still grinning, “If that was his worst stage and you fell in love with him, you’re going to be head over heals with his new leaf.”

I slapped him, “This is not funny. I’m not going to steal another girl’s man.”

He nodded, “Because you are the modern heroin.”

I shrugged, “It’s because I’m not going to accept unrequited love.”