Ginseng

Incomplete Marriage

 

Seung Ni’s P.O.V

 

Our taxi pulled up in front of Changmin’s mansion, the maids immediately ran out to help us unload our luggage. I dragged my tired feet from the car, the bright sun hurting my eyes. 

“Seung Ni-ah,” 

I drew my hand away from my face, squinting out towards the voice. Mrs Shim came running awkwardly to me, her heels clicking with every step.

“Seung Ni-ah,” she exclaimed urgently, reaching out her hands towards me.

I cringed, what was it? I turned around looking down at my skirt, it wasn’t tucked into my underwear. My lips formed into a pout, I didn’t have my bra hanging out. There couldn’t possibly be anything-

“Seung Ni-ah,” Mrs Shim grabbed my elbow, her other hand around my waist and proceeded to walk me.

“Ms… Mrs Shim?” I stuttered, “What…”

She smiled, rubbing my hand, “You’re pregnant now, you must be very careful.”

My head jerked, what?

“And those,” she said looking down at my feet, “Those shoes are in appropriate.”

My mouth dropped slightly, I turned my head quickly trying to find Changmin. He was busy taking out the luggage to even look up at me. My lip was trembling now, his mother was leading me into the house, her arms tightly around my waist. I tried my hardest to smile, but it was quickly faltering as she lead me straight to the kitchen where I was hit with a strong smell.

I cringed.

“Sit down honey,” she chimed, pushing me into the stool and quickly running her hand down my belly.

I shivered.

“We made you ginseng tea, I heard it was very good for you and the baby,”

Quickly my hand fled to my mouth, I was already gagging. Mrs Shim stared back at me, her eyes widening. I frowned back at her.

“Morning sickness already?” she gasped, running towards me and throwing her arm around my shoulder.

I had no way to escape, with my palm still pressed against my lips, I nodded.

She smiled, “Don’t worry, that will only last for a couple of months.”

I nodded again, tears were readily forming in my eyes, how could Changmin be so stupid and make up such a terrible lie. Mrs Shim dropped her hands from me and ran towards the steaming pot. Ginseng tea? Ginseng tea with a heap of sugar I was capable of drinking, but ginseng tea combined with a whole bunch of herbal ingredients? I could feel my vomit rushing up my esophagus. I turned my head towards the door, begging for Changmin to walk through.

“Seung Ni!” Mrs Shim exclaimed.

I leapt from my seat, turning back my head to face her, my hair strewn across my surprised face.

“Take it,” she grinned.

I pushed my hair away from my face and looked at the steaming bowl before me, the strong smell stung my nostrils. I raised my eyes slowly towards her, a small smile on my face. 

She grinned back, “Go on.”

I swallowed hard, my hands shakily reaching out for the steaming bowl. I looked up at her again, just a slight hope that she would change her mind. The grin on her face crashed all my hopes. I picked up the bowl slowly, sorry god for lying to my future mother in law.

“If you like it you can have more,” Mrs Shim encouraged. 

I nodded, as if. I brought the rim of the bowl to my lip and took a sip of the pungent tea. The strong flavor quickly hit me, turned my cheeks pink and left a horrible bitter taste on my my tongue. I couldn’t possibly continue drinking. I pulled the bowl away from my mouth quickly, sugar, quick give me some sugar! Instead I plastered a smile on my face.

Mrs Shim’s eyes widened, “Oh no dear,” she gasped, “You must finish it!”

I flinched, no, where the heck was Changmin, he was the one who placed me in this situation. Slowly I brought the bowl up to my lips again, my hands were shaking uncontrollably.

“Omma-nim,” 

My heart leapt into a somersault, “Changmin!” I almost screamed.

He smiled at me, giving his mother a hug before coming to my side. I tilted my head towards the steaming bowl before me, a sly smile on my face.

Changmin’s face dropped, his eyes narrowing.

I nodded slightly, just so that his mother wouldn’t notice.

He pursed his lips, ‘Are you serious?’ I could sense him telling me.

My eyes narrowed, ‘Of course!’ I ESP-ed back.

Changmin inhaled deeply nodding, “Fine,” he mouthed at me.

“Changmin,” Mrs Shim suddenly exclaimed, “You must have some too!” she immediately turned around and clicked her way back to the brewing pot.

As soon as her back was turned I picked up my bowl and pushed it to Changmin’s lips. His eyes widened as he quickly gulped down the hot liquid. Mrs Shim turned around and in a flash I pulled the bowl away from him and pushed it against my lips.

“That was great!” I grinned, slamming the bowl down onto the table.

She smiled at me, her eyes crinkling together as she pushed another bowl into Changmin’s hand.

Changmin’s eyes turned to me desperate. My lip twitched, hey, it was hard enough for me to get rid of mine. He pouted. 

I quickly shook my head, “Can’t help you” I mouthed to him.

Mrs Shim frowned, “What was that Seung Ni?”

I jumped, “Nothing!” I said quickly, shaking my head.

She smiled and looked up at her tall son, “Go on Changmin, it’s good for you.”

I nodded, “Drink up!”

Changmin narrowed his eyes at me and did what he was told. His eyes rocked from side to side as he gulped down the liquid. I pursed my lips whilst watching him, that was a lot of tea for one day.

Changmin quickly slammed the empty bowl down and grabbed my hand, “We’re going!” he called to his mother as he dragged me out.

I frowned trying to release myself from his grasp.

“Be careful!” Mrs Shim called out after us, “She’s pregnant!”

I gagged. 

Changmin dragged me to the hall where, to my surprise, the family staff were bowing. We stood frozen, his hand still wrapped around mine. My mouth dropped as the house staff raised their heads revealing Changmin’s scowling grandmother. Immediately I yanked my hand away from him, bending down into a bow.

“Not too far dear,” Mrs Shim called out from behind me, “You’re pregnant.”
“That’s what I was here to make sure of,” Halmeoni said, her eyes narrowing at me.

I gulped. Changmin quickly wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me to his side, protectively.

Halmeoni turned around and pointed towards the stairs, “You go set up there and she’ll be up in a minute.”

I quickly wrapped myself around Changmin’s arm, no way was I going up there alone with her.

“Changmin,” I whispered.

He cringed, “Halmeoni,” Changmin sighed, “That’s not necessary.”

I stood behind him nodding.

She rolled her eyes at Changmin stepping around him to take my hand.

My heart leapt as her cold fingers came around my wrist, no, no, my head was screaming.

“She needs her check ups,” she stated and proceeded to pull me up the stairs.

I latched onto Changmin’s arm like a leach, “Don’t leave me,” I mumbled, my eyes widening as his grandmother tugged onto my arm.

Changmin’s face went pale, my heart fell to my knees. Don’t tell me he didn’t have a plan installed yet.

“Changmin,” I cried urgently.

Chanmin’s brow furrowed, “I’m thinking,” he whispered back.

My breath was shortening, if he didn’t think of something now, I was going to get kicked out of the house and left shamed. I had already lost all chances at any architecture firms, had already offended one of the few richest families in Korea and now I was going to be caught lying just because I didn’t want to leave my arrogant hotel heir.

“Halmeoni!” Changmin suddenly gasped, “Hyun Joong isn’t even here, I don’t trust anyone with her except him.”

I quickly nodded, “No one’s going to touch my baby and me!” I gasped, throwing my hands around myself a little too dramatically.

Halmeoni rolled her eyes, “My physicians are the best in Seoul, you can leave her in their hands.”

“No,” I let out a little moan, shaking my head.

Halmeoni’s eyes narrowed, “Is there something you’re afraid of?” Her eyes pierced through me. Oh damn, I bet she knows, oh no, ommo, she’s just going to kick me out, I bet she-

“Seung Ni!” Changmin grabbed onto my shoulder, “You okay?”

My eyes widened, “Ommo, I need to vomit!” I slammed a hand to my mouth and despite the difficulty in heels I scrambled up the stairs.

I could hear Changmin laughing casually downstairs as I reached the bathroom door. “Morning sickness,” he sighed.

I smirked, I could even imagine him rolling his eyes at me. I quickly closed the door to the bathroom and scrambled onto the toilet seat thinking. Goodness, I was getting too good a lying. Quickly I patted myself down, damn, no pockets. I slammed my palm onto my forehead. 

“Idiot!” I muttered to myself. My phone, my beacon, my rescue device, was on the kitchen table inside my bag. I pushed my face into my hands, letting out soft moans. What the heck was I going to do now.

Slowly I crept towards the door, pressing the side of my face onto the surface. I couldn’t hear anything outside. My heart racing, I wrapped my fingers around the crystal door handle and twisted it slowly. Peeking out an eye, I scanned the horizon. Nothing, no one. I let out a huge sigh and opened the door a little wider. Changmin’s room was just a few steps away, if I could just sneak into there, I would be able to think of something. I quickly slipped out of the bathroom, and pressed myself against the wall. Goodness, if I was going to continue this marriage, I might as well change my profession and become a spy. Lying, sneaking, betraying, these were the perfect characteristics. I leant my head forwards, Changmin and his grandmother were still waiting down the stairs. Thankfully for me she had her back turned towards the stairs. I inhaled my deepest breath and made a dash to Changmin’s room and quickly closed the door behind me.