Malhaebwa 말해봐

Incomplete Marriage

 

“Seung Ni,”

“Seung Ni!”

“Seung Ni-ah…”

“Seung Ni…”

I groaned, I could hear a faint voice, but I could not see a thing.
“Seung Ni, what the heck were you thinking?” 

I groaned again, “Halmeoni…” I said weakly.

“Who do you think you are?”

I groaned again, I could feel the dry blood on my forehead, and my lips felt bruised.

“Are you stupid or something, doing something like that just then?”

I snorted, but it just sounded like another groan.

“You idiot, why did you do that. You’re not some super hero, WHY’D YOU DO THAT?”
“Halmeoni…” I broke, “What?” I said, shortened of breath.

Halmeoni scoffed, “You idiot, you were hurting my grandson!”

I sighed.

“Don’t you ignore me, what the heck were you doing throwing your fists around like that!”

My mouth dropped, is she serious? I was attempting to save her from whatever situation we are in now, and she is sitting there literally blindly abusing me.

“Halmeoni,” I attempted again. She finally stopped yapping.

“I can’t see anything!” I said softly.

Halmeoni scoffed, “You’re blind folded you idiot.”

I sighed, god this woman was difficult, “What happened?” I choked.

She kept quiet, I growled under my breath.

“Halmeoni, tell me what’s happening, because obviously we’re here because of you,” I snapped.

Halmeoni said nothing again. I exhaled loudly, tilting my head this way and that hoping the blindfold would just slip off.

“Halmeoni!” I snapped, “Why are we here?”

“You should have been protecting my grandson.”

I cleared my throat, “Why were they after you?”

“If anything happens to him, I swear I will-”
“SHUT UP!” I screeched. “THERE IS NO GRANDSON!”

There was silence. I could sense her pursing her lips.

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE IS NO GRANDSON!” she shouted back at me.

I cringed, god damn it this woman.

“There’s just none, okay,” I sighed, shaking my head.

“WHAT!!!” she roared.

I wanted to hit my head against the wall. Damn this woman was annoying, if she wasn’t Changmin’s grandmother I would have just left her and watched her get dragged away by the thugs. Screw the grandson, we’re being held hostage in who knows where and all she cares about is her non-existent great-grandson.

“Seung Ni,” she growled, “You answer me!”

I scoffed, “Halmeoni, Changmin and I didn’t do anything, I’m not pregnant. We lied.”

“But… but…”

“The doctor?” I cut her, “He was easy. $5000 and a university degree, who wouldn’t agree.”

Halmeoni was breathing so hard, I almost thought she was choking, “You stupid, lying, indecent-”

“Halmeoni!” I shouted over her.

Halmeoni kept quiet, giving me just enough time to think about what I needed to do.

“Okay,” I breathed, “I’m going to make my way to you, please stop making anymore commotion.”

She snorted.

Rolling my eyes, I scooted over to her, it was getting hard with my legs and hands bounded, but after a few grunts I could feel her shaking beside me.

“Halmeoni,”I breathed into her ear, “We need to keep quiet, so that we will not alert them.”

She murmured something under her breath that I didn’t catch. I brushed my face against her shoulder, loosening my blindfold.
“Hey!” she screeched.

I inhaled loudly, “Shhh!” I hushed her.

She scoffed, turning her head away from me. Again, I pushed the side of my face onto her shoulder. The blindfold slipped from my face, I blinked a few times, wincing, letting my eyes adjust to the minimal light. I looked around, it looked like a hired out storage shed. 

“Halmeoni,” I whispered to her.

She turned her head towards me. 

I leant in closer to her, “It looks like we’re in a storage shed,” I whispered to her.
Halmeoni frowned, I wanted to whack my hand on but she screeched, “YOU CAN SEE?”

My eyes widened, “Shut up!” I hissed.

She turned her head from side to side.

“Stop!” I whispered back to her, scooting closer to her, “Stop moving so I can take your blindfold off.”

She froze.

Sighing, I brought my mouth towards the side of her head. I sniffed, as much as I hated it, I had to do this, Changmin owes me for saving his grandmother. I want that Versace handbag, heck no, I want the whole store. If only I could just leave her here.

“What are you waiting for?” she hissed. She jerked her shoulder, hitting me squarely in the face.

I winced, growling underneath my breath. Stupid woman. I brought my lips towards the black fabric and gripped it between my teeth. I tugged at it and it slipped from her face.

Halmeoni’s eyes flung open, glaring at my face, “Get your face away from me,” she spat.

My mouth dropped but I pulled away from her.

“Halmeoni,” I began, “Why are we here anyway?” I turned my face to her, my eyes narrowing, “You better tell me, or else I’m going to run away and leave you here.”

Her eyes narrowed.

I nodded, “I passed the physical exam for the army.”

dropped.

I smirked, “So you tell me,” I pushed. “No lies!” my eyes widened at her threateningly. 

She turned away from me.

“TELL ME!” I spat.

Halmeoni turned back to me pouting. I nodded at her encouragingly. Her eyes narrowed.

I sighed, “I bet you know what’s going on.”

She shifted to the side in thought, “We’re being kidnapped for ransom?”
I raised a brow, that seemed likely, “But why would they kidnap you and not Changmin?”
Halmeoni’s eyes thinned. That’s right, I’m too smart for her.

Halmeoni side, “Fine, I’ll tell you the truth.”

I nodded.

“I made a mistake,” she said softly, her chin dropping onto her chest.

I scoffed.

“Don’t judge me!” she screamed.

I flinched, like I said, annoying. “I’m not,” I reassured her.

Her upper lip jerked, “Well, last year I came across a group…”

I raised a brow, a group? As if I was going to believe that.

Halmeoni rolled her eyes, “The black market.”

I nodded, “Ahhh…” I sighed.

Her face dropped, “Don’t-”

“I’m not!” I cut her.

She growled. “Well, they introduced me to some diamonds. They asked me if I were interested. Of course I was interested, they were whole sale, non-cut diamonds. Fresh from the underground.”

I snorted, “Fresh from the underground?”

She growled again, “From the mines in Australia!”

I nodded. Diamonds, she has one of the richest families in Korea and she was lured by diamonds. 

“Well, the diamonds were stolen, of course they were,” she sighed, “I should have known.”

I cringed, damn right she should have known.

“They were stolen from Yeon Hee’s family.”

I froze, mines from Australia. I sniggered, I should have figured that out immediately when she said that. God… I couldn’t believe it.

“What’s happening now?”

Halmeoni’s lips thinned, “Yeon Hee’s family told me that they would not report my involvement in the black markets if Changmin and Yeon Hee gets married.”

I froze, the missing part of the contract.

“The Shim’s reputation is very important to me, very. I couldn’t possibly, single handedly, be responsible for ruining everything my husband has built for our family.”

I shook my head, no way. The rich were just too powerful. “But why are we here?” I whispered back. 

Halmeoni sniffed, “I don’t know.”

I leant my head back, unbelievable. “If they wanted to ruin you, wouldn’t they hold some press conference?” I turned back to her, “What are they thinking? What can kidnapping you do?”