Distractions

Incomplete Marriage

I slipped into my sunhat and elegantly slid the small frames of my sunglasses onto the tip of my nose. I leant back taking in the sun on the minimal amount of skin I had exposed. I was definitely not a bikini girl and worse of all, I have always hated the beach. There was nothing much you could do in the water anyway, jumping waves did not really top my activity list and I’ve always hated the seaweed brushing across my legs. Swimming? As if I’d go swimming in the ocean, I wouldn’t know my way back to land. I turned my head over to see Jaejoong laying on his towel still fully clothed. I sighed, I guess he was still upset about poisoning Yunho. Hyun Joong and Yoochun were on my other side, sitting on their beach towel a local paper in their hands each. I rolled my eyes, so much for making the beach exciting. Yeon Hee was happily applying suncream to her white pody. She was already down to a bikini and a kaftan draped over her shoulders and flowed to her knees. She looked relaxed and happy, and how much did I wish to have her confidence. Changmin stood measly beside her still fully clothed, that made me smile. He had his hand hidden deep within his pockets and was kicking the sand with his sandals.

“Changmin! Changmin!” Yeon Hee cried cheerfully, “Look, the waves have settled, let’s go out to the water.”

I frowned from behind my glasses, thank goodness I chose the darkest tint possible. I looked up at them glowering.

“Changmin, the male change rooms are over there.”

I choked on my own saliva, I brought up a hand shading my face as I tried to ESP Changmin not to go. However, Yeon Hee proceeded to take Changmin’s arm and drag him towards the changing room. I pouted, turning towards the guys for ideas, neither of them seemed to be too interested.

“Yah!” I growled, “She’s taking him into the water!” My arm was flailing behind me as I pointed at the disappearing couple. The three of them turned to me unamused. I placed my hand on my hips, “Weren’t you guys supposed to help me?” I tried my hardest to keep my voice down.

Yoochun’s eyes widened as he turned towards the paper, “Look!” he exclaimed, his index finger jabbing the page so quickly that I couldn’t even make out a word on the paper. “The stock market appears to be changing rapidly, I need to record some of this information down.” He quickly stuck his fingers into his Louis Vuitton satchel and pulled out his equipment.

My lip jerked, how could he abandon me in this situation? I quickly turned my head too Hyun Joong. “Hyun Joong?” I whined, my eyebrows mismatched, hoping he would be pitiful.

He shook his head, “You know how I feel about the beach.”

I gulped, “They won’t even notice you!” I argued back. Hyun Joong raised an eyebrow and pulled his sunglasses off, immediately a flock of tourist stopped, a look of recognition on their faces. I gulped, “Okay!” I sighed, “Put your sunnies back on before they come over and ask for your autograph.” I quickly pushed his glasses back onto his face as they began approaching us. We quickly looked at the sand ignoring the tourists and after a while they decided to leave us alone. I exhaled loudly, “Thank goodness I was quick,” I sighed, “Or else there would have been trouble.”

Hyun Joong snorted, “I told you I hated the beach.”

I sighed, my eyes scanning the packed beach, the gold coast, where too many tourists travel to every year, I was starting to really hate this place.

“Yeon Hee, I can do it myself.”

I froze, quickly my head spun towards Changmin’s voice. What were they up to now? My mouth dropped, Changmin was brushing Yeon Hee’s hands away from his bare chest. Bare chest? The bare chest that I’ve never seen before. She was laying her hands on my fiance’s bare chest. I was fuming. Suddenly a pair of strong hands landed on my shoulders pulling me back.

“Seung Ni,” Hyun Joong said, “Calm down.”

I turned to him angry, but he was throwing me uncomfortably looks. Of course I have to calm down, I can’t get too jealous now, not yet. I sighed loudly and slouched back into the beach chair. Calm down, calm down I kept telling myself. But how could I calm down? I sat up immediately. “Yah!” I cried angrily. Jaejoong caught my hand before my index finger hit mid air and pointed directly at her face. My mouth dropped, I was suddenly shaded from the blazing sun. I looked up slowly, Yeon Hee was before me, a confused look on her face. “

Is something wrong?” she said softly.

Is there something wrong? Of course there is something wrong, you keep touching my fiance. Keep your hands away from him. Why did you come back? What are you doing here? Why am I so mad?

“She’s… she’s just annoyed about the fly that keeps buzzing around her.” Jaejoong said, bringing my hand down slowly, an uncomfortable smile on his face.

I turned to Jaejoong, what the heck was he on about? He widened his eyes, a signal that immediately told me to calm down. I exhaled slowly nodding.

Yeon Hee sighed loudly, a smile on her face, “There are too many flies in Australia,” she grinned at me.

I nodded again, “Stupid fly,” I managed to mumble.

She smiled at me reaching for the suncream, “We’re going to go swimming now, when you guys are ready please join us.”

I watched the bottle of suncream in her hand, move from my side all the way to Changmin. The few seconds felt like an eternity. She was going to apply suncream onto Changmin? My lower lip was trembling, I didn’t even know that this much jealousy could come out from my small body. I turned to Hyun Joong, he was as shock as I was. Was I resonating jealousness?

Yeon Hee smiled, her fingers wrapped around the lid, slowly twisting it, “Come on guys, it’s beautiful here, we should all go swimming together.”

I gasped, my head was running wild. Go swimming? Bikini? Thighs? Stomach? Oh god, what was I going to do? I turned to Jaejoong, my elbow dug into his ribs. Jaejoong jumped, he looked up at me, hurt? Shocked? Confused? It was one of them. “Take your shirt off,” I said through gritted teeth.

He frowned. “Now!” I said through the corner of my mouth.

I grabbed the hem of Jaejoong’s shirt and placed it into his hands. He raised a brow, but finally did as he was told. His muscles showed one by one, his flawless skin was nearly glowing. I turned to Yeon Hee, hoping that she would be lured by Jaejoong’s perfect body. But she was busily squeezing the milky cream into the palm of her hands. I cringed. I needed to say something now.

“Jaejoong needs suncream now, his fair skin burns to easily.”

Yeon Hee turned to me shocked, “What?” she mumbled.

I quickly stood up taking her hand into mine, I used the edge of my hand to scoop the cream from the palm of her hands and took the bottle with me. “You wouldn’t want him burning,” I smiled sympathetically.

I could see Yeon Hee tilting her head,confused, in the corner of my eyes. I ignored her turning my head to Jaejoong a grin on my face. “Suncream!” I cheered. I slapped the palm of my hand into his and transferred the liquid over to him. I gave him a nod, indicating him to go ahead and apply it. Jaejoong’s eyes narrowed, but he began to apply the cream to his skin.

“Woah,” I exclaimed, my eyes extra huge, “You’re muscles are massive!” Jaejoong frowned at me. I ignored him, sneaking a peek at Yeon Hee, who was also looking at Jaejoong. A smirk formed on my lips. “Can I touch it?” I ignored the stunned looked on his face and continued to jab his pack with my index finger. “Ommo… they’re so hard, how long do you work out for?” I turned to Yeon Hee feigning surprise, “You should try!” I grabbed her small hand and pushed it against Jaejoong’s abs. Hyun Joong snorted loudly. I snapped my head around to give him a glare. Jaejoong stood frozen in the spot as we ran our hands around his abs.

“Seung Ni stop that,”

I jumped, “What?”

Changmin was frowning angrily. Yeon Hee and I immediately retreated our hands away from Jaejoong’s abs.

Changmin rolled his eyes, “Are you swimming or not?”

“Yes!” Yeon Hee quipped softly.

Changmin frowned, “I wasn’t talking to you,” he spat.

My mouth dropped, me? I looked up, Changmin’s eyes pierced mine. I brought up a hand worriedly to my forehead, what did I do now?

“Yes!” Jaejoong cried out, “I’m swimming.”

I let out a breath of relief, closing my eyes, thank goodness for Jaejoong’s intuition. Yeon Hee and I froze in our spot, looking at Changmin.

He suddenly snapped out of his trance and gave her a smile, “Let’s go Yeon Hee.”

I sank back into my beach towel watching Jaejoong, Changmin and Yeon Hee wade into the water. A pout formed on my lips, I should be fighting my way out there with them, however my shyness and pride took over me. Damn I should have stayed in the gym a little longer on my free days from university. I sighed, they were already knee deep.

“What was that all about?” Hyun Joong grabbed my arm, pulling me to face him. I raised an eyebrow, pretending I didn’t know what he was talking about. Hyun Joong rolled his eyes, “Don’t pretend with me.”

I pouted, raising my shoulders slightly.

His upper lip jerked, “I’ve never seen Changmin so jealous.”

I turned to him shocked, jealous? My eyebrows raised.

Yoochun clicked his tongue at me, his head shaking, “Too far Seung Ni.”

I frowned, “I was distracting her,” I tried to reason.

Hyun Joong snorted, “Go in the water with them, that would be their biggest distraction.”

I pouted again, “Water? Swim? No way!”

Yoochun put his paper down, “What’s wrong with the water?”

I raised a brow, “The water? Nothing’s wrong with the water, it’s me!”

Yoochun frowned, “What’s wrong with you?”


I shook my head, “Nothing for you to be concerned about.”

Yoochun snorted, “Girls.”

I stood up, hands on hips, “What?” I spat.

Yoochun smirked, “I dare you to go out to the water.”

I shook my head, “No.”

“Double dare you.”

I shook my head.

Yoochun elbowed Hyun Joong, “What’s wrong with her?”


Hyun Joong shrugged, “Girls!” he sighed.

They both looked up at me glaring. I frowned, what? I have my own personal and private reason to not go out in the water. My eyebrows narrowed, were they judging me? Did they think I was scared of the water? What is it? My head tilted in thought, what was it?

Hyun Joong rolled his eyes, “Seung Ni, just go in the water.”

I turned my head to the crystal blue water, it did look inviting. My eyes panned the horizon for Changmin and the others, they were already waist deep, if I wait any longer then I wouldn’t be able to catch up to them. I inhaled deeply, screw my pride, hopefully my new beautiful Augua Bendita one piece bathers will steal the limelight away and everyone will ignore my body. I tiptoed behind the boys, hoping that they would just ignore me. I took in a deep breath and pushed my shorts down and in a few nanoseconds pulled on a pair of swimming shorts up over my legs. Mission accomplished. I breathed out in relief, that was close. I quickly looked to my right and then to my left, no one was particularly concerned. I pushed the sunnies up my nose again and biting my teeth hard, I pulled off my shirt, threw it down and made a dash to the water.

The water was cool against my skin and surprisingly clean but I’ll just keep my eye out for any lone floating seaweed. It was getting hard to keep an eye on the water whilst wading out further to get closer to Changmin. To my benefit the waves weren’t big and the water wasn’t too cold, it made walking to them much easier. They weren’t far from me once the water hit my stomach, I was beginning to relax now. The sand under my feet was soft and I think I might stop hating the water so much now. Before I could conclude whether I liked the beach or not, a wave came out from no where and took my under its white foams. I gulped a mouthful of salty water, flailing my arms around so that I could kick my way to the surface, my wet hair laid flat against my face and my cheeks stung with the salt. I took a breath of fresh air, I could hear laughter before me and someone was making their way towards me. I wanted to roll my eyes, with my fingers I peeled my fringe away from my face, the blazing sun stung my eyes and before me Changmin was holding his stomach laughing. I pouted, I swear if there was a hard enough surface in front of him he would be slamming his hand down on it just to emphasize my embarrassment. I growled, lunging towards him. His face dropped, horrified and we toppled over and once again I went under the water, the salty seawater stinging my eyes. Suddenly Changmin was pulled from my grasp, his hands left my waist and I surfaced to see Yeon Hee with her arms wrapped around him. I was snarling, without thinking I turned around and began wading back in.

“Seung Ni!” Changmin called.

I ignored him, pushing my legs through the thick water, the sand wasn’t in my favor, because every time I took a step my feet would sink down. Suddenly a hand wrapped around my wrist pulling me back. My heart gave a skip maybe he still cared. I turned around ready to retort something witty back but Jaejoong stared down kindly at me.

I froze. “What?” I scoffed, yanking my wrist from his grasp.

“Seung Ni calm down,” Jaejoong sighed, “Don’t worry about it?”


I spun around, “Not worry?” I spat, “How can I not worry? She’s stealing my fiance!”

Jaejoong’s fingers wrapped around my mouth, “Shhhh…” he hushed, pulling my away from them.

I snorted, peeling his fingers away from me, “Why are you on her side?” I screamed.

Jaejoong sighed and waded towards me.

I stuck my arms out in front of me, “Stop!” I yelped, “Don’t come over, just… just leave me alone.”

Jaejoong frowned, “Seung Ni please,” he begged.

I ignored him and turned around, continuing to wade through the water, I dragged my legs through the thick water, the cold liquid washing up my thighs. I was too preoccupied to even notice the dirty seaweed that was brushing against my skin. I stopped pushing my way through the cold salty water when I felt a thick film of slime brush against my skin. Immediately my head dropped down to see a clear line of slime. That wasn’t seaweed, I frowned, brushing my hand down to my shins, another clear line of slime wrapped itself around my shin again. I jumped in fright and then the pain pierced through me. I opened my mouth and let out a blood curling scream, my legs collapsed underneath me and I fell into the water, the line curling itself around my wrist. The pain was unbearable and I was trying my hardest to pull myself away, thrashing in the water. Suddenly a pair of arms pulled me from the water and onto a blue foam board. The man was in a yellow Australian lifesaving uniform, I was grateful that I was finally out of the water, but the pain still ran through me like I’ve been torched. I laid on top of the board whimpering, the sun above me hurt my eyes. I struggled to raise my weak hand up to shield me.

“Are you okay?”

I frowned, how far was I? Who? The sun was still blazing, I was shaking uncontrollably and my hand landed on my face slapping me unconscious.