On The Edge

Incomplete Marriage

 

Changmin’s P.O.V

 

My friends and I have retreated up to my office. Junsu and Yunho immediately got to the hotel as fast as they could once Jaejoong had made contact with them. 

I was sitting in my big leather chair my head buried in my hands.

“Have you got anything yet?” Yunho asked, his fingers running over his keyboard fast.

“Nothing yet,” Jaejoong called back.

I groaned, the police were sweeping the lobby and the front entrance, the man came and left so swiftly I doubted that they could find anything. 

Junsu came through the door his hands carrying a tray of fresh coffees. He placed one of the steaming cups onto my table, “Don’t stress yourself Changmin,” he sighed.

I removed my face away from my fingers, “How can I not stress? You’d be doing the same if it were your family.”

Junsu inhaled, his mouth thinning. He his heel and placed the coffee trays onto the table.

I watched my friends leap for the coffee. They’ve been on this case the moment they sat down. Yoochun was going through all the documents I had, to make sure that I hadn’t breech any of my company’s contracts. I really couldn’t figure out what my family has done to upset someone this greatly. We kept out business strictly professional and worked independently. I just couldn’t understand.

 

Seung Ni’s P.O.V

I crept slowly along the long row of storage sheds. The ground was disgusting and I was trying my best not to wince as my bare feet hit anything but the bricks. Halmeoni was right behind me, her heavy, fearful breath on my neck. I rolled my eyes, did she have to keep that close?

We got to a fork and I pressed my body against the shed, raising my arm and pushing Halmeoni back also. 

“Shhh!” I hushed her. 

She glared at me. Okay, maybe I deserved that, she hasn’t made a sound since I pulled down the shed door. 

Slowly I raised the tip of the gun around the edge of the shed, I leant my body a little forwards and poked my head around the corner. To my relief there wasn’t anybody there. I turned back to Halmeoni, flicking my fingers to indicate that she should follow me. We ran down the aisle of storage sheds with no body in sight. Once we hit the fence, my heart was leaping with joy. They really didn’t know a thing about kidnapping people. Halmeoni and I walked calmly out the fence together. I pulled the gun from Halmeoni’s shaking hand and threw it into the bin.

“We need a car,” I said, giving her a firm nod.

Her lip jerked, “Well obviously.”

I rolled my eyes, “I’m going to go look for one, you rest here.”

Halmeoni’s eyes narrowed, “I’m not going to stay here by myself,” she argued.

My mouth dropped in disbelief, “Fine,” I cried, “But you better keep up.”

I turned around again and walked around the huge yard, in a distance I could see a white van, I smirked.

Halmeoni and I made a dash to the van, I ignored all the disgusting things that my feet were treading on. As long as we get out of here, I will live in a foot spas for a year.

I slammed against the door of the van, a grin on my face. We made it. Halmeoni was puffing beside me. Immediately my hands latched onto the plastic handle, tugging at it with all my strength. The damn thing was locked. I ran to the other side. Locked too.

I groaned, “Only one way in,” I sighed to Halmeoni.

She raised her perfect eyebrows at me.

I looked around at the ground, there was a rock that was just the perfect size. I picked it up in my hands and pushed Halmeoni out the way. 

“Watch out,” I instructed her. 

She retreated behind me. With her at a safe distance, I drew back my hand and with all my strength pushed the rock onto the side door window. The glass cracked. I repeated the same action, the glass cracked even further revealing a small whole. I dropped the rock from my hand and picked at the hole with my fingers. The screen came out easily enough when I applied pressure and pulled the laminated cracked glass off.

“Tah dah!” I beamed.

Halmeoni couldn’t even raise a smile. 

Oh well, I picked the lock from the inside and pulled the door open and unlocked the other side too. Once it was unlocked Halmeoni scrambled in.

“Hey look, there’s my phone,” I grinned, my fingers wrapping around my white iPhone, I brought it to my chest protectively.

“Hey look,” I pointed at hers, “There’s yours too.”

Immediately Halmeoni picked up her phone and switched it on.

“Can you even drive this thing?”
I snorted, “Of course.”

“And the keys?”

I frowned, “You should have reminded me to remove it from him.”

She frowned, “You mean they have the keys.”

My eyes widened, “!”

“You mean, once they untie themselves they could easily come out and-”

“!” I cut her.

She rolled her eyes, “Can you do anything right?”

I groaned, bending over I yanked off the plastic underneath the steering wheel. Immediately I was faced with whole lot of wires. My eyes narrowed in thought, what did my brother teach me again.

“Black wire and red wire,”I mumbled to myself. My fingers dove into the wires, “Black wire, red wire…” I groaned, tugging at the wires and trying to separate them.

“Seung Ni!” Halmeoni was at my shoulders tugging at it.

I shrugged her off, “Black wire, red wire…” I mumbled.

“Seung Ni!” she gasped again.

I groaned, my fingers still trying to find the right wires.

“SEUNG NI!” she screamed.

I slammed my palm against the dash board, “What?” I screeched, “Can’t you see I’m trying to hot wire this god damn…”

She pointed a shaking finger out the windscreen, “Look!” she gasped.

I raised my eyes, my mouth dropping. The thugs had managed to untie themselves, let themselves out the shed and were footing it towards the van.

I shrieked, my fingers diving towards the wires immediately.

“, .. !” I muttered, as my fingers scrambled along the wires.

“HURRY UP!” 

Halmeoni was at my ears, it was not going to help me if she kept at it.

“HURRY!” she shrieked.

My eyes widened as my fingers hit the wires I needed, “GOT IT!” I screamed.

“WELL MOVE IT!” she shrieked back, “THEY’RE GETTING CLOSE!”

I pulled the plastic off and the copper exposed, it felt like a jolt of electricity leapt through me. I quickly brushed the wires together.

Halmeoni let out a terrifying scream, her hands on the door.

“Stupid !”

I felt his knuckles hit the side of my head. I groaned.

“SEUNG NI!” Halmeoni rushed me.

I winced, my fingers rubbing the wire and my foot on the accelerator. Halmeoni had leant over and was pushing the thug away from me.

“Seung Ni!” she cried.

I closed my eye, ducking away, my head spinning, ‘Please, please, please…” then suddenly the roar of the van started and I slammed my foot on the accelerator. The van jerked off, the thug shouting abuses at us. Halmeoni sunk back into the passenger seat, puffing. I cringed, I could feel more blood trickling down the side of my face and the road ahead was spinning.

“Seung Ni!” 

My head jerked upwards, I shook my head just to wake myself, but the pain that ran up my head made me immediately regret my action. 

“On the road…” I mumbled quietly, “Just keep on the road…”

 

Changmin’s P.O.V

I started pacing my office again, I was sickened with worry. The police have not discovered anything and my friends were just desperately trying to find clues. The police had already invaded the top floor, setting up in my meeting room and pushing my friends and I back into my office. I rubbed the bridge of my nose, closing my eyes and pushing myself to relax.

“Sir!”

I froze, my eyes flying open and I dashed to the door.

“What do you have?” the words poured out of my mouth.

Their officer pushed his way through and stood before me, “We just picked up a signal on your grandmothers phone.”

My heart leapt, “Where are they?” I spurted.

“They’re moving fast, on the highway on the edge of the forrest,” he said, checking the status on his monitor.

I froze, “Why are you still standing here?” I spat.

“We sent out two cars, but with the sudden change of signal, we’re suspecting a trap.”

My heart dropped, “They can’t have done something to them already.”

He shook his head, “We don’t actually know, but as soon as we have an okay, we will send more cars out.”

I groaned, spinning around on my heel, “No!” I gasped, “No, we need to get out there now!” I pointed a shaking finger out the door, “Something might happen if we delay it any further,” I stressed.

“But Mr Shim,” 

I shook my head, “I don’t care, I’ll go find them myself then.”

I took a step forward, but he raised a palm to my chest and pushed me back, “Mr Shim, if you don’t calm down I will have to arrest you for obstruction.”

My mouth dropped in disbelief, “You can’t be serious,” my upper lip jerked.

The officer nodded, “I will do it if you don’t calm down.”

I brought a hand up to my pulsing temple, this was getting too much for me. I pointed a shaking index finger at him, ready to spit something out, but instead I spun on my heel and slammed the door to my office closed.