Going Off the Markets

Incomplete Marriage

 

I slumped all over the house that afternoon. Incredibly furious. How dare I let myself get bullied by an arrogant jerk. An arrogant incredibly rich jerk, with marble floors, gold door handles and a restaurant to make him food everyday. I sighed. ARGH, I can’t be like this. At 6:30 pm as if it were planned both my parents came into my room and dragged me out. 

“Are we going somewhere?” I asked.

They nodded and handed me a silver box, “Put it on!” my mum instructed me.

Slowly I lifted the lid revealing a black dress. I raised a brow and demanded to know more.

“An old friend of ours invited us to dinner tonight. Hurry up,” my mom said, putting on her pearl earrings.

I rolled my eyes, “Omma, I’m not wearing black.”

My mum rolled her eyes back at me and handed me a gold box this time, “Here. Now hurry up.”

I pulled the dress from the box gasping for air, “How… how’d you get the money for this?”

My mum shrugged, “Seung Ni you’re keeping us waiting.”

I bit my lip and ran into the room slipping on my dress.

 

They dragged me into the car, pleased with what I have done with myself. Chatting away, all I could do was stare out the window at the dark starry night. These must be some important friends or an expensive restaurant to make my mum fork out the money for silk. I normally wore chiffon.

When the car stopped, I looked out the window to find us in front of the most expensive restaurant in Seoul, Crimson Essence.

“Whoa…mum, dad, are you sure we’re at the right place?” I asked, getting out of the car.

“Yes we are!” my mum said excitedly, “I’ve been waiting for this day!” she squeaked.
“The day to see your old friends?” I asked,  my eyebrows slightly raised.
“Uh…right…” she said, almost as it wasn’t meant for me to hear it.
“Honey, keep it quiet,” my dad hushed.
“Oh! Right,” she grinned.

I frowned and followed them inside.

“V.I.Ps” my dad said slowly, letting every letter drip into the bouncers ear.

I frowned, what was going on?

They dropped their name down, every syllable slowly and the bouncer immediately let us in. My mum was bouncing with joy, I on the other hand felt nauseous. The place was immaculate, styled like a french 1920‘s house. The lights could have been dimmed a bit more to enhance the romantic mood, but red velvet curtains draped the windows and bright luminescent chandeliers hung above the low ceilings. Each table was decorated beautifully and symmetrically.

My eyebrows rose, what the hell were we doing here.

“Oh, oh, oh! Look, they’re right over there!” my dad squealed.
“Yah! Seung Ni this way. Let’s go!” my mum grabbed my arm and dragged me over to a table that overlooked the freeway. 

“Nice,” I grinned, as I took in the beautiful scene. I ignored my parents as they made their pleasantries with their friends.

“Seung Ni sit!” my mum called over to me. 

I rolled my eyes and lazily dragged myself towards the table.

“Let me introduce, our daughter Jang Seung Ni.”

I bowed, not looking up at them.

“HER?”

I frowned, the hell, I knew that voice.

My mum laughed, “Changmin here, came running to our house this morning. I guess he was excited to meet her.”

I snorted, “He took me for his slave.”

My mum slapped my arm, “Stop being so negative.”

“Negative?” I cried.

Changmin snorted.

My mum grabbed my arm and dragged me into my seat. We sat in silence throwing daggers with our eyes.

“Okay, let’s order.” Mr Shim said.

I smiled and picked up the menu daintily, “Hmmm… I heard the salmon is quite nice here. Would you like to try it with cream cheese and perhaps a bagel?” I smirked.

Changmin’s upper lip twitched, “No thank you, I’ve already had that for lunch. Why don’t you try some rock lobster? It’s suits your personality.”

I frowned.

Our parents cleared their throats and smiled. 

“Look, they’re off to a flying start, how wonderful.”

I smiled at Mrs Shim, my feet busily finding Changmin’s. I soon found it and gave him a kick.

“Ah…” Changmin winced, “Its… it’s… a bit cold out here isn’t it?”

I shrugged.

He glared at me. 

“Right, we’ll have the banquet to celebrate tonight yes?”

My parents nodded eagerly.

“Of course!” my mum chimed.

“And a bottle of Moet!”

My brow rose, “Moet? Do you know how expens...” I said in the corner of my mouth.

My mum’s cold fingers landed on my arm, “Of course, we’re celebrating.”

“What is there to celebrate?” Changmin said elegantly, he gave my parents a small smile.

I was furious inside.

My parents smiled shyly and kept shooting unusual looks at the Shims.

“What is it?” I said pleasantly.

Mrs Shim smiled and took Changmin’s hands into hers, “You’re such a big boy now,” she smiled. 

Changmin’s brows knitted, “Omma…” he sighed, “Not in front of everyone.”

I couldn’t help smiling.

“Seung Ni you too,” my mum snapped.

There was silence as they continued looking at us.

“What is it?” Changmin said.

My dad laughed, “I can’t hold it in any longer!” he cheered.

Mr Kim cackled along, “You’re getting married.”

I froze, my heart leapt out of my chest. I must have heard wrong. WHAT? Definitely heard wrong. What is wrong with me today?

“WHAT?” Changmin broke the silence.

I froze again. I didn’t hear wrong?

“What?” his parents chimed, “Look how sweet you guys look together.”

My face turned sour, “WHAT?” it was my turn this time.

My mum shook her head, “There’s no need for you to be this shocked, we’ve planned this before you guys were even born.”

I growled.

“You guys have been arranged. Signed. Sealed. Not yet delivered.”

I frowned, “You’re kidding yes?”

The parents laughed and Changmin and I joined in.

“Funny…” Changmin sighed.

“No.”

I froze.

“We’re very serious here Changmin.”

“Dad, you’re joking right?” Changmin asked.
“I’m not, son. You’ve been too busy playing with girls throughout high school that we figured a girl that’s set in stone in your life would benefit both you and your reputation as the heir,” Mr. Shim explained while Mrs. Shim nodded along.

“Omma, Appa! I’m getting married to this person for his own benefit?! Am I like some add on or something?” I cried.

“Actually, no. Ever since you guys were born we’d wanted you to be together. So we arranged a marriage but throughout our separate lives we lost contact with each other until we were reminded of the marriage that we had promised,” my dad explained.

I raised a brow, “I can’t marry him.”

“Nor I her,” Changmin said defensively. He folded his arms.

“But she’s smart,” Mrs Shim argued back.

Changmin shook his head like a kid.
“You’ve got to see her records.”

Changmin shook his head again, “I don’t care.”

My mouth dropped, “I’m not good enough for you now?” I spat, my chair scraping the floor loudly as I stood up.

Changmin gave me a disgusted look, “Look at her Omma, she’s screaming in a sophisticated restaurant like this.”

My mum reached for me and pulled me back into my seat, “Honey…” she sighed.

I rolled my eyes, “He started it.”

Mrs Shim turned to me with a smile, “You’re not only good for Changmin here, you are practically perfect for him.”

I scoured.

“And Seung Ni, think about it! This may be your first real relationship!” my mum gushed.

“First? Real?” Changmin laughed.

“OMMA!” I hissed.

My mother smiled apologetically.

“The wedding’s in a month, enjoy each other’s company will you.”

“OMMA!” we both whinged.

Mr Shim threw his napkin onto the table to indicate his annoyance, “I don’t have the mood to eat anymore. You two are acting like kids.”

I leant back into my seat and pouted.

“I’m leaving. Make sure Seung Ni arrives at the hotel bright and early tomorrow.”

“O!” my head followed Mr Shim as him and his wife left, with my parents following. They kept turning around to see if we were going to make a dash for it.

“Would you like us to serve the food now?”

I turned to the waiter stunned, “What?”

“You’re good, would you like to start eating?”

I looked at the silver trolley, filled with the expensive food that I could never afford. I was salivating. I couldn’t waste good food, could I? I clenched my teeth. God I was going to marry him, better enjoy my freedom now.

“Yes!” I grinned, “Serve away.”

“I can’t believe you have the nerve to eat.”

“Oh boo hoo,” I said swallowing the sweat meat, “Go cry to your omma.” Changmin frowned, “Give me that!” he growled as he snatched away the other claw on my plate.

My mouth dropped.

“I’m paying for it!” he snorted and continued to remove the lobster meat from its shell.

I was definitely angry, everyone knows that the male was supposed to offer the claw to the girl.
“That was mine…” I sulked, snatching the claw from his hand.

Changmin frowned, “We’re going to be MARRIED! THIS IS SERIOUS.”

I bit my lip, and placed down the red claw.

“Okay…” I said slowly, “Do you have a plan?”

Changmin looked at me, the first time I’ve seen him sad, “No.”