Caught In the Middle

Incomplete Marriage

 

I drummed my fingers on the table waiting for what I didn’t even know. I was sitting in my office all morning hoping that Seung Ni would at least call me out to play with her. I sighed loudly, it has already past lunch and nothing from her yet. I pouted, resting my chin in my hand, oh well, if she doesn’t come here, then I’ll just find her. I quickly picked up my phone, threw it into my leather satchel and stood up.

I ran out the elevator and into the lobby, it was unusually empty. I lingered around for a little bit, but nothing much happened, and quickly I dashed out the door.

“Mr Shim,” a man called out, walking calmly towards me. 

I frowned, I’ve never seen is face before.

“I have a delivery for you,”

My eyebrows narrowed in suspicion, he was dressed too nicely to be delivering any packages.

He slid his hand into his pocket and pulled out a silver envelope. The muscles in my face twitched, what could all of this be about? I faced an open palm to him, a scorn on my face.

He placed the envelop into my hand and formally bowed, “Have a good day Mr Shim.”

I inclined my head in his direction and watched him turn around and disappear into an awaiting taxi.

I drew a hand through my hair, something told me not to trust the letter. I my heel and walked back into the hotel. I stopped in front of the lobby, and threw the letter down, “Please run a check on this.”

The receptionist nodded, picked up the letter, her heel and walked towards the back of the reception desk.

I drew in a deep breath, pulled out my phone and called the first person who came to my head.

 

“You received what?” Jaejoong called from across the lobby. 

I drew my eyes away from my toes, looking up to see him adjusting his silver-grey suit. I looked past him, Yoochun came in with a brief case gripped tightly in his hand.

“I came as fast as I could,” he gasped. 

I nodded, my mouth drawing tightly closed. 

“What’s happening now?” Jaejoong said, leaning over to look at the reception desk.

I shook my head, I was getting really uneasy and I couldn’t understand why, “They’re pulling a check on it.”

Jaejoong nodded understandingly. He looked scary when he was serious. 

I sighed loudly again, this was getting me really uncomfortable. 

“Mr Shim,” one of my staff called from behind me.

I turned around fast, “What did you get?”

He looked uncomfortable, “There is nothing dangerous with the contents in the envelope.”

I let out a huge sigh of relief.

“However,” he continued.

My heart stopped beating.
“You might want to take a look at it.”

I turned to Jaejoong and Yoochun a little confused. 

“If you would just follow me,” the staff member called out to us.

I drew in breath and followed after him. He lead us into a room, that was darkened and a projector beamed the letter onto the huge screen.

My heart sank as I read the first sentence.

“Mr Shim, I don’t want to alarm you, but we currently have your grandmother within our hands.”

My knees shook, luckily Jaejoong wrapped an around around my waist and dragged me to a chair.

“!” Yoochun cried out. He his heel in frustration, “That’s unexpected.”

I was shaking uncontrollably.

“Oh what the heck, I am writing to alarm you. Your grandmother has upset one of the most powerful families in Seoul. I am writing to notify you that because of her failure to restore the broken relationship and do as she had promised we were left to do what we had to do.”

Jaejoong turned to me, “Who is the creep who is writing this?”

I shook my head, nothing familiar came to my head.

Jaejoong continued, “But not to worry, she will be safe within our hands. For the next three days, I will enjoy the idea that you and your family will be greatly stressed about her safety. After these three days, I will send someone to you with more information.”

Jaejoong narrowed his eyes, “They’re playing with you.”

I nodded, I could tell, but this was clearly serious.

“Whilst you wait in anxiety for her return, please think clearly about the family that your family had shamed and deeply disappointed. I bid a good day to you, and look forward to writing the next letter.”

Yoochun scoffed, “That is unbelievable.”

I buried my head into my hands, what had Halmeoni do now? I knew she was a difficult woman, but what can she do that would conclude to something stupid like this.

“Run the security video please,” Jaejoong demanded, as he approached the computers where my staff were busily keying in the order.

The video at the entrance of the hotel came onto the projector screen. I re-watched myself and the unknown man converse and the handing over of the letter. I wanted to vomit, how could something like this happen to Halmeoni, especially when I were to get married in a week. 

“Replay it,” Jaejoong instructed again.

I couldn’t watch. I brought a hand to my mouth deep in thought. 

“Freeze it,”

The staff member froze the screen.

“Zoom in,”

He zoomed in, alienating the picture of the unknown man, and blew it big for Jaejoong’s easy viewing.

“Print it please.”

The printer whirred and spat out the image of the unknown man.

Jaejoong drew in a deep breath and turned to me, “Don’t worry Changmin, we’ll get to the bottom of this.”

I shook my head. Jaejoong slammed a heavy hand onto my shoulder and gave it a squeeze.

“I’m going to call the others,” he informed me.

I nodded, there wasn’t much I could do.

Yoochun had already set up his laptop, “I’ve contacted the police. I’ve sent them a copy of the letter but there isn’t much I can do.”

I nodded, sighing. He was my lawyer, of course there wasn’t anything much he could do. Yoochun abandoned his laptop and took a seat beside me, “Any idea who’s family it is that your grandmother may have offended?” Yoochun said, choosing his words carefully.

I shook my head, rubbing my eyes. Who could be so offended that they could do this to my family?

Yoochun cleared his throat, his eyes on the screen, “Any idea who that man is?”

I shook my head again, we were going no where.

Yoochun nodded, his lips tightening, “Well, we’ll just have to carefully think this through.”

I leant back in the chair, pushing my palms down my pants.
“I’m going to call my parents and inform them of this,”

Yoochun frowned, “Are you sure?”

I nodded, “They have the right to know.”

Yoochun gave me a weak smile as I stood up and left the dark room. I quickly pulled my phone from the inside pocket of my blazer and dialed my mother. She picked up on the second ring with a cheerful voice. My voice choked up, I couldn’t possibly break the horrible news to her.

“Yeobeosaeyo?” she said again, “Changmin?”

I cleared my throat, “Yes,” I tried to smile, “Omma, have you…” I froze, what was I going to say, “Um… have you seen Seung Ni?”

My mother paused, “Hmmm…” she sighed, “She left with your grandmother this morning for her hanbok fitting. Actually I’ve been a bit worried about them, they haven’t returned yet.”

I choked, “What?” I gasped.

My mother laughed, “Changmin, you can’t possibly miss your future wife that much. I’m sure Halmeoni won’t bite her.”

I let out a little laugh, Halmeoni has been kidnapped, Seung Ni was with her, what could have happened to her? I choked again, “Omma,” I sighed, running a hand through my hair, “I’ll call you back.”

I quickly hung up my phone and ran back into the small room.

“Yoochun!” I gasped, “They’ve taken her too!”