Marathon

Incomplete Marriage

 

Seung Ni P.O.V

“Ready for this?” Hyun Joong grinned, he was happily jogging on the spot beside me to warm up.

I nodded, “You, just remember to pay up once I’m done.”

He laughed, “I’m on a student budget too…”

I shook my head, “Unacceptable Doctor Kim.”

He laughed again, “Unfair.”

I smirked, but my face soon dropped. There he was, right across from me. Yeon Hee holding a water bottle for him. I wanted to vomit again.

“Seung Ni, are you scared already? I’m not backing out on the pay.”

I frowned, grabbing Hyun Joong and pushing him in front of me, “Oh god,” I gasped, “I see him.”

Hyun Joong attempted to turn around, but I took his jaw in my palms, “Don’t look now!” I snapped.

He looked down at me, a grin on his face, “Look’s like I’ll be paying in full,”

I frowned, what was he going on about?

“You’re just going to run away from him and conveniently cross the finish line while you’re at it.”

I sniggered, “I’ll call your ex here to chase you across the finish line,” I grumbled

He smiled, “Relax, I’m joking.”

I tried to smile, but my heart was racing. I wanted to start running immediately, maybe I was going to run away from him. It’s the only way I could think of that would make me feel any better. Not being around him, he doesn’t need to exist anymore. We got our numbers, me sneaking around Hyun Joong and using him as my shield. I didn’t need Changmin to remind me of the engagement ring as his donation.

We stood on line, Hyun Joong still ridiculously grinning beside me, despite the fact that Changmin was only three rows behind. I nodded firmly, just run, keep running, get away from him. The gun soon called the start of the race, and the volunteers before me took to a slow pace. I was growling as I tried to push my way pass them, how was I supposed to run away with them jogging at walking pace. I was in the race for about three minutes when I realised that Hyun Joong had disappeared from my side. I frowned, he was my support, where’d he go? I turned around, my eyes scanning the huge crowd for Hyun Joong. I spotted his white tracksuit being pushed back further and further. I rolled my eyes turning around and pushing against the crowd to get to him. Suddenly I was knocked to the ground, someone had blindly ran into me. I pushed myself up on my scratched palms, my ankle throbbing. I tried to stand to get to Hyun Joong, but I couldn’t, it hurt too much. 

“Seung Ni!” an arm reached down and grabbed me.

I cringed, not him, not him, not him, I begged. I opened my eyes, Changmin looking down at me. Dammit.

“Are you alright?” he frowned. 

I nodded, taking a weak limp ahead, “Argh…” I whinged.

Changmin turned his head, glaring at the idiotic jogger who pushed me over.

“Don’t worry about him,” I sighed, reaching out a hand to him to stable myself.

Changmin raised a brow, “Can you walk?”

I nodded, “Yes.” I took a small step forward, but my knee gave up on me.

Changmin caught me in his arms, “Stop being stubborn,” he sighed. “I’ll take you back.”

I shook my head, pushing his arms away from me, “No. That engagement ring can help a lot of sick kids,” I grumbled.

Changmin looked confused, “I’ll just give it to you and you can donate it all you want.”

I shook my head, “But I don’t deserve it.”

Changmin’s brows furrowed, “Of course you deserve it.”

I shook my head, “Not if I don’t finish the course.”

He sighed loudly, “You won’t give up will you?”

I shook my head stubbornly.

Changmin rolled his eyes, “Then I’ll piggy back you.”

My jaw dropped, “No!”

“How do you expect to finish?”

I looked around at the joggers, Hyun Joong no where in sight. I was scowling now. I gulped.

Changmin nodded firmly, bending over before me, “Get on…”

I sighed, but he had pulled my arms around his shoulder.

 

“I saw Yeon Hee,” I said, not daring to lean against his shoulder.

Changmin nodded, “Yeah she volunteered too.”

I pouted, “How come she’s not with you?”

Changmin turned his face towards me, I retreated away from him.

“She doesn’t need to follow me around,” he said.

My mouth shifted in thought, okay.

“Must you persist that you finish the race?”

I frowned, “Yes, you can put me down if you want.”

Changmin tightened his grasp around me, “No… I just admire your courage.”

I rolled my eyes.

“Don’t you want the ring?” he said, almost inaudible.

I bit my lip.

“It doesn’t mean anything to you?”

I was frowning in thought, luckily he couldn’t see my face. I gulped, it didn’t mean anything to him, why should it mean something to me.

“No.”

Changmin sighed loudly, “O… Okay then.”

My lower lip was quivering, he was so cool and calm. 

“You see the lawyers tomorrow,”

I nodded, my fringe brushing against his neck.

“You can take all the gifts,”

I shook my head.

“I don’t want them, and you were so happy with them.”

I shook my head, “It was a fake marriage, you don’t have to be nice to me.”

Changmin went silent, but his pace was still steady.

I sighed, I couldn’t do this anymore, “Put me down,” I demanded.

Changmin kindly obliged.

“I can’t do this, I’m tired… I… I don’t want to finish the race.”

Changmin frowned, “But…”

I shook my head, “No… I’m just going to go…” I limped towards the barriers. He followed me. It was now or never. I have to end it. He had someone, he wanted to get rid of everything that reminded him of me. I nodded, completely agreeing, I would just have to erase him from my own memory.

“No,” I cried, “Don’t follow me, you finish the race.”

Changmin looked distressed. 

I smiled weakly, “Go, have fun… make some money for the kids.”

His lips tightened.

“Don’t worry about me, I’ll try next year.” I quickly turned and ducked under the flag barriers.

 

I sat across from the lawyer, he was talking but I couldn’t hear a thing. This was the day where I would get everything I had back. My freedom, my career, my graduation and my single life. 

“Although you were not married, the contracts that were drawn on your behalf and on the Shim’s behalf says that everything you signed in the pre-nuptial agreement is still valid.”

I nodded robotically.

“The pre-nuptial agreement clearly states that you are not to have any estates owned by the Shims. There is no money agreement, and no assets that were given to you.”

I nodded, the words flying out my brain.

“However, you can have one room in the hotel once a year.”

I snorted.

“It says, upon termination of the contract, you will not be able to graduate from your course.”

I sat up.

“But there has been amendments to that,”

I relaxed.

“...and it says that you have completed three months of work experience, and you are free to join any company you want.”

I nodded again.

“That’s about it,” the lawyer grinned at me. 

I smiled weakly, “I expected just as much.”

He nodded, “Have you spoken to his lawyers? Is there anything that you might want to fight for?”

I bit my lip, shaking my head.

“Gifts?”

I shook my head, confused.

“The ring for instance, it was given to you…”

“No, I don’t want it,” I cut him.

He nodded, “Very well then. All you need to do is sign on that line, and your freedom will be returned to you Miss Jang.”

I took the pen from his desk in my shaking hands. This was it, I was going to be free. I exhaled loudly and penned my name onto the paper.
“And that’s it,” he stood up, reaching a hand towards me. 

I got to my feet and reached for his hand when his assistant came in knocking.

“Excuse me Mr Choi.”

He raised a brow.

“There’s been amendments to the pre-nuptial, it was originally part of the contract, but Mr Shim’s lawyers sent if over to us a bit late.”

At the mention of Mr Shim, I felt my head get heavy. I watched her hand the manilla file over to Mr Choi. He raised a hand, indicating me to take a seat. I sank back into the seat, what was this all about now? I watched him read the file in silence.

“Well we’ve got great news,” he grinned.

I tried my best to match his smile.

“You’ve been given something after all.”

I raised a brow.

The assistant handed a black box over to him, “It appears that Mr Shim has left you a car.”

I frowned. He slid the box over to me. I picked it up in my shaky fingers. I peeled the lid off, Changmin’s Prius keys laid in the box gleaming. I brought a hand up to my mouth, choking back tears.

“The car’s parked outside,” Mr Choi smiled.

I stood up slowly, shook his hand weakly and made my way out the firm. The white Prius was parked at the front. I crept slowly towards it, my feelings running wild. I unlocked the car door and opened the driver door. On the seat was a flat Tiffany’s box and an envelope. I slid into the driver seat and picked up the box. I slid the lid off with my shaking fingers. It was the heart tag bracelet. I pulled it out of the box, noticing the new inscription on the tag. In calligraphy font the tag read, ‘You’re the ball...’ I choked. Immediately I reached for the envelop. I dug my hand into it and pulled out my favourite picture. The one that I had tucked into the bed. I flipped the photo around, “… to my chain. I miss my prison partner.”