Ball & Chain

Incomplete Marriage

 

Changmin’s P.O.V

I rolled the box in my fingers, Seung Ni has not looked at me once since she slammed the stupid box into my hand. I kept silent as the parents gushed about the wedding happily. Occasionally I would turn towards her, but she would keep her head down, preferring to concentrate on her shoes than to look at me.

“The rings!” my dad gushed, “We still haven’t got a ring,”

Seung Ni shifted in her seat beside me.

“Something big!” my mother gushed.

“No…” she whispered.

The parents looked up at her, “What was that?” her mother asked.

She looked up, ajar, “Um…” she stuttered.

I shifted uncomfortably.

“Um…” she said softly. “Nothing.”

The parents sighed and turned back to each other. I turned towards her, she still had her head down, her fingers fidgeting.

“A pink diamond?”

“No, a canary diamond.”

“Oh, canary diamonds, I’ve always wanted one,”

“5 carats?”

“No, 11.”

She jumped, her hand landing with a slap on my thigh. I choked.

“Wh...what?” she stuttered.

My dad looked at her with a smile, “You don’t want 11 carats? We’ll find a 16 carat one for you.”

“No…”

I put my hand on top of hers and gave it a squeeze. She looked up at me in distress.

“No, we’ll go look for it ourselves,” I cried. I grabbed her hand up, waving it in front of the parents.

She nodded quickly, “Please, let us do it.”

Mrs Jang narrowed her eyes, “No, you’re too modest, we won’t even be able to see the ring.”

Seung Ni sighed, dropping back into the victorian couch.

“Give us a list,” I suggested, tugging at her hand. She immediately sat up and nodded.

Mrs Jang turned towards my parents, a smile on all their faces.

“That’s a good idea…” my dad said slowly.

We nodded.

“Okay,” my mother began, “A canary diamond, at least 11 carats.”

“Five!” Seung Ni gasped.

“Ten!” my dad argued back.

Seung Ni frowned, “Seven.”

“Deal,”

“Platinum?”

Now they weren’t even talking to us anymore. I reached out my other hand and pulled both her hands onto my laps.

“It’ll be okay,” I whispered.

She looked up at me, disbelief in her eyes.

“Don’t worry, you can resell it,” I grinned.

She snorted, “I don’t want it.”

I nodded, “Of course.”

She grinned.

 

Immediately after, they had pushed us out the doors and into my Prius.
“Remember the list!” Mrs Jang waved, as I pulled out the driveway.

Seung Ni sat in the passenger seat, her cheeks inflated, her fingers resting on her temples. 

“You okay?” I sighed.

She nodded gently, still holding the same expressing.

“Exhale!” I demanded.

She let out a loud sigh. I frowned. I drove in silence, she continued to sit in the seat staring at her lap. I pulled in front of the largest Tiffany and Co store in Seoul. I walked around to her side and opened the door. She didn’t move.

“Seung Ni!” I snapped.

She swung her leg out, a pout on her face. She pushed in front of me and entered the store with me following after her. I was half expecting her to gush over the jewelry, and fine accessories. Instead she went straight to the rings and pointed randomly. I shook my head, went up to her and took her hand into mine. 

Her head dropped, “I’m sorry,”

I shrugged. I held her hand as I told the sales assistant to pull out the diamonds. I slipped ring after ring onto her finger, but she had no reaction.

“Cheer up,” I smiled.

She looked up at me, unmoved.

“I’ll take you shopping,”

She rolled her eyes, “We are shopping.”

I nodded, “I’ll let you re-enact Breakfast at Tiffany’s.”

She smirked.

I slipped another ring onto her finger, “How about this?”

She looked at it, her lips thinned, “Take me shopping?”

I nodded. 

She grinned, “We’ll take this one then.”

 

We walked out of Tiffany’s the ring already on her hand. 

http://images.smh.com.au/2009/04/06/459724/Tiffany_LegacyAndBand2_1__gallery__600x388-600x400.jpg

“The Legacy?” I raised my brow. 

She shrugged, “Who cares…”

I smiled, “My parents do. What about the list?”

Seung Ni bit her lower lip, “Hmmm…” she mumbled, “It’ good enough right?”

I raised a brow.

She shifted a lip, “It’s white gold, its a diamond… it’s damn expensive.”

I laughed, “It’s not a canary diamond for one. It’s not even seven carats. What about platinum?”

She snorted, “2.5 nearly robbed you clean. Do you know how many handbags I can buy?”

I shrugged.

She spun to me, an index finger at my face, “You, what did I teach you?”

I rolled my eyes, “We couldn’t find a canary diamond,” I recited what she previously taught me.

She nodded, “And…”

“They didn’t have diamonds larger than 2.5 carats,” I sighed.

She raised an eyebrow.

“You can’t expect them to believe that there are no more platinum rings,”

She shrugged, “Bridal season?”

I rolled my eyes, “Go back and get the canary.”

Seung Ni shoved her hand behind her back, “No…” she whined.

I rolled my eyes, “Tiffany and Co are going to get a big complaint letter.”

 

“It’s heavy,” she frowned, staring at her finger.

I smiled, “Consider it as your ball and chain for the next year.”

She laughed, “How come I have one and you don’t?”

I frowned, “Because marrying you is the biggest ball and chain of all.”

She slapped my arm, but still had a smile on.

“I got it!” she cried happily. She grabbed my hand and dragged me down the streets. My heart was beating fast, and I was breathing hard trying to calm down my nerves.

“I’m not rich,” she explained, “But I think I can afford this.”

I frowned, “You’re not buying me a real ball and chain are you?” 

She laughed, “No, who’s going to drive me around if I do.”

She dragged me by the hand until we stopped in front of a photo studio. I frowned, “What is this?”

“A photo studio!” she said, shaking her head. She pulled me in.

“Two people please.”

The store assistant nodded and lead us into the store, “And what concept were you looking for?”

Seung Ni grinned, “Prison concept.”

I laughed so hard. But following her orders we got changed into prison stripe pajamas and took our pictures behind the bars.