My Debt

Incomplete Marriage

 

I tiptoed out of the lift praying to god that I wouldn’t come across him. The receptionist had told me that Changmin had left to go to lunch, and now, its the only chance that I could return to his office to collect my plans. Although I’m not working on the hotel in China anymore I still cherish all the dedication and time that I’ve put into my drawings.

I pushed the door into his office, it was a pig sty again, exactly like what I’ve seen when I first step foot into it. I crept around the dirty coffee table, it somehow looked worse. My foot kicked against his overnight bag, his clothes spewing onto the floor. I frowned, he has been staying here? I picked up his crimson sweater, it reeked of alcohol and sweat. I quickly folded it up and threw it on the couch. Was he retreating again? I stood in the middle of the mess, they had arranged me to him with the intention that I help pull him out of this mess, maybe, just maybe I could help. If we couldn’t be husband and wife, we could at least be friends right? I frowned, bending down to pick up another item of clothing. Should I? Suddenly the door opened, I ducked behind the couch. , I shouldn’t have stood there contemplating for so long. I froze as Changmin staggered in, a hand to his forehead, he slumped into his chair, burying his head in in hands.  I got to my hands and knees, crawling behind the couch out of his sight. Changmin was groaning, I popped my head around the armrest to see him still in the same position. I sighed with relief. He was still alive. I continued crawling until the couch no longer covered me. I clenched my jaw, every movement I made slow, now how the heck was I going to open the door and get out?

“Seung Ni?’

My forehead furrowed. , , , , .

“What are you doing?”

I bit my lip, mustering the courage to face him. No. I don’t want to. I stood up, brushing myself down.

“I… I… lost a contact,”

Changmin immediately got to his feet, “Let me help.”

I shook my head, “No. No, that’s not necessary.”

He frowned at me.

I lifted up my hand, “Here. I’ve got it here.” I waved my empty fingers at him, it was a contact. Who’s going to see it.

He nodded, sitting back down on his leather chair, “Why are you here?”

“To get my drawings.”

Changmin’s eyebrows turned downwards, “I just got them sent to your house.”

I wanted to slap my forehead, I could have saved myself the trip and I wouldn’t have to see him. 

“Oh…” I stammered.

He nodded.

I looked around the room, “What happened?”

He shrugged, “Work,” he sighed, “There’s so much to do.”

My eyes widened, “But you don’t need to kill yourself.”

“Have you been talking to my parents?” he growled.

I shook my head, “No.. No…” my lips formed into a pout as I picked up his trouser bottoms from the couch, “Don’t I still owe you for the damaged Armani?”

Changmin immediately sat up from his seat, “Yes.”

I nodded slowly, “Then I better start paying it off ha?”

He nodded, “Yes, then I’ll take you out to dinner.”

I snorted, “And put me back in debt?”

 

I cleaned as Changmin sat calmly in his leather chair. Occasionally he would measly type something in the computer when he thought I was getting suspicious. I WAS getting suspicious, didn’t he say that he had a lot of work to do. I packed the last of his dirty clothes into his overnight bag and zipped it up.

“All done,” I grinned, dusting off my hands.

He laughed, “If only you were like this in the beginning, I would have liked you more.”

My eyes narrowed, “What? Are you saying you still don’t like me?” I placed my hands on my hips.

He laughed again, “No, that’s not what I’m saying.”

My upper lip jerked, “Whatever, didn’t you say I get dinner?”

He nodded, quickly getting up on his feet and wrapping his coat around him, “Let’s go, I’m starving.”

I snorted, “You sat around all day doing nothing and you tell me you’re starving.”

He shrugged, “Watching you frown all afternoon is very hard work.”

I smirked, “I’m high maintenance.”

He nodded, “Obviously.”

I growled as he put me in his car and took off from the car park.

I placed my hands in my lap, I’ve been avoiding it all afternoon, but it was time to face it. Face the problem head on. Face the problem that I unfortunately got dragged into.

“I’m seeing the lawyers in a week.”

Changmin bit his lower lip, although it was dark I could sense the uneasiness on his face.

“It’s okay, it’s not your fault. You didn’t know anything.”

He sighed, “I’m sorry my parents dragged you into my problems.”

I shrugged, “I attend so many charity events, help so many sick kids and the opportunity for me to help someone arose and although it that it was you, I’m glad they picked me.”

Changmin snorted, “You just disregard your own feelings like that?”

I rolled my eyes, “Feelings? The only feelings I have, is for the brand new pair of shoes that I put on my feet.”

Changmin laughed, “ that it was me?”

I grinned, “Okay… maybe it didn’t that much in the end.” I narrowed my eyes, “Okay, it doesn’t now. You’re buying me dinner. Better up to you before you kick me out the car.”

Changmin laughed again, “You’re an idiot.”

I smirked, “What? To leave you? I thought that was the wisest decision of my life. It even beat, me waiting a week for my Stella Mccartney blazer to be reduced further.”

Changmin swallowed hard.

I in my lips, I had tried to keep it light, but he was more serious than I thought he’d be, “Don’t worry,” I smiled, “I want this.”

He frowned, “Of course, you’re always ranting on about your freedom.”

I laughed, “A woman needs her freedom, freedom to buy my shoes on sale, freedom to make burnt breakfast, freedom to my own career.”

Changmin pulled to a stop and got out the car, he ran to my door and opened it before I could.
“Freedom to eat with her ex-fiance?” He offered me his arm.

I smirked, taking it, “Of course. What are we eating?”

Changmin grinned, “Prosciuttos… tapas style.”

I narrowed my eyes, “What, all of a sudden you remember me?”

Changmin smirked, “I never forgot.”