Mortified

Incomplete Marriage

 

Seung Ni’s P.O.V

 

I grinned at Hyun Joong, Changmin has finally left us alone together. About time, I thought with a little relief. We left our dishes in the sink for the maids and went outside to the courtyard.

“Here you go,” Hyun Joong grinned, pressing another Tiffany box into my hand.

“Oppa,” I sighed, “You didn’t have to.”

Hyun Joong smiled kindly and grabbed my wrist, “It was sad watching you try to fix it.”

I shrugged, but he continued to fix the new bracelet onto my hand.

“Last one,” he laughed, “I had to call the store in advance and rush there to get it. Don’t break this one too.”

I looked at the beaded Tiffany bracelet, back on my wrist, it gave me a sense of relief.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t be there,”

I nodded, “Me too. Then I wouldn’t have broken the bracelet.”

Hyun Joong smiled kindly and proceeded to take me on the walk around the back yard. 

“What’d he think about the wedding dress?”

I smiled, “He thought it would be appropriate for me to save the perfect dress for my real wedding.”

Hyun Joong smiled, “Changmin is very nice.”

I nodded, “I know.”

“Why do I get the feeling that you guys always fight?”

I smiled, “It’s not a feeling, it’s all true.”

Hyun Joong grinned, “That means I have you all to myself.”

“Exactly!” I nodded. Then he leant in and planted his soft lips on mine, I closed my eyes, my smile fading, somehow it didn’t feel right. 

Hyun Joong pulled away, his eyes confused, “Did you feel anything?”

I gulped, better break his heart now than later, “No,” I frowned, shaking my head slightly.

He grinned, “Me too…” he chewed his lip, but his eyes were still shinning.

I tilted my head confused.

“Wanna try again?”

I laughed, “No,”

He sighed, “I guess it’s not going to work out.”

I nodded, “I’m sorry.”

I walked him to the front yard, a smile still on his face. 

“We’re going to be friends right?”

I nodded, “Of course!”

He smiled, pulled me in and planted another kiss on me. 

“Nothing…” he whispered.

I smirked, “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

I climbed the stairs, trying my hardest not to make clomping sounds with my heels. Changmin’s light was still on, but as I reached the top of the stairs it switched off. Having nothing else to do but go to sleep, I left for my room.

 

I threw on a black tulle dress, and a floral Stella McCartney blazer and ivory lace stockings. Changmin’s parents were coming home this morning, they were strictly concerned about the wedding preparations. I skipped down the stairs, my pale cream heels made light tapping noises as I entered the kitchen.

“Morning!” I said happily. 

Changmin didn’t even look up from the weekend paper. I shrugged, turning on the coffee machine. He was dressed in a Hugo Boss business suit, with a pale blue shirt and a silver tie. 

I sighed, “Are you working today?” my eyebrows knitted together.

He looked up from his paper, “What’s it to you?”

I shrugged, “I don’t know… you’re wearing a business suit, I just...thought…”

“I am doing business, this marriage is contracted…”

I gulped, why was he so grumpy.

I took the mug of hot chocolate away from the machine and climbed into a stool beside him.

“What’s up grumpy?” I grinned, taking a sip.

He ignored me and proceeded to read in silence. I pouted, moving closer to him.

“Hey look, there’s Hyun Joong!” I cheered happily, my index finger jabbing at the picture. There was a picture of the two bachelors holding a shovel and the trees.

“Modern day bachelors caring for the environment,” the caption read.

I grinned, but Changmin quickly flipped the page.

“Hey!” I shouted, reaching over, “I want to read it.”

“There’s nothing to read,”

I frowned, pushing him aside, my hand slipped and his coffee mug spilt over, dripping coffee down the edge of the bench, and consequently onto his expensive suit pants. I gasped, my hands quickly picking up a table cloth, pressing it down onto his knee.

Changmin frowned, taking the cloth from my hand and standing up. He gave me a dirty look and left the kitchen. I cringed, damn, why was he so angry. I better go say sorry for whatever it is I had done. I crept up the stairs slowly, trying not to make too much noise with my heels. I crept into Changmin’s guest room, ignoring the need to knock.

“Changmin,” I called out from behind the door. There was no answer, I pushed into his room. Changmin was in the adjacent bathroom.

“Changmin!” I called, this time louder.

“What?” came his angry voice.

“Phew,” I sighed loudly, “You’re still alive.”

Suddenly he opened his door, this time in a towel. 

I frowned, “Did you forget something?”

“Did you?”

I looked up in thought, did I?

“This is my room, what are you doing in it?”

I sighed, “Why are you so angry?”

He rolled his eyes and went into his wardrobe.

“Something casual...” I called out after him.

I waited, there was no sound except for the occasional scraping of the coat hangers on their metal holder. I looked around his room, there was nothing sentimental, guys never kept anything sentimental. There was nothing but his dirty clothes in a basket and a small blue box at the foot of the basket. I frowned, that blue, that signature blue. I know that blue. I looked towards the wardrobe, Changmin was still in it. Seeing that the coast was clear I crept towards the box, slightly turning around to see if he was looking. I picked up the box, it was square and flattish, definitely not a ring. 

“What are you doing?”

I jumped, quickly turning around. Changmin was standing in cream dress pants with a dark blue knitted sweater over a light blue dress shirt. 

A smile immediately spread across my lips, I took a step towards him, amusement washing over him. I kept my eyes on him as I circled him.

“Nice!” I grinned, “I like your casual look.”

Changmin rolled his eyes, “What do you have there?”

I looked at the blue box in my hand, “Oh…” I frowned.

He’s eyes narrowed, “Is that mine?”

I stood there stumped.

Changmin’s mouth dropped, “Give it back to me.”

I jumped away from him, “What?”

He growled taking a step towards me. What did he have to hide? I was bursting with curiosity. There was nothing else to do but run. I ducked away from him and exited his room, running down the stairs as fast as I could without tripping over. Suddenly the front door opened and Mr and Mrs Shim stared up at Changmin and I.

“Give it back!” Changmin growled into my ears. 

I ignored him. “You’re back!” I grinned at his parents.

They glared at Changmin, “I hope you’re not fighting,”

I nodded at him. Changmin glared at me.

“Oh, we’re not fighting, Changmin’s decided to surprise me with a gift.” I waved the blue box in front of him, and pulled it away as soon as he made a snatch for it.

His mum was beaming, “That’s very nice of you Changmin.”

I nodded, “Very nice indeed,” I smiled into his ears.

Changmin was scowling.

I pulled the box behind me, furthest away from Changmin and followed his parents into the sitting room. The maids and butlers were busily carrying their luggage up the stairs.

They sat down, and we sat down opposite them. I chewed my lips, a smile on my face, playing with the box in my fingers.

“So,” his mum grinned, “Why don’t you open it.”

My eyes widened, I looked up at Changmin. He was hiding the frown on his face.

“No,” he cried, placing a hand on top of mine so that I would stop fidgeting with the box. “We’ll do it in our own privacy.”

I looked at his hand on top of mine, I tried to tug it away, but he stopped me.

I sighed, “Our own time,” I chimed, giving his parents an apologetic smile.

Changmin’s dad frowned, “What’s so special we can’t see it too?”

I looked up at Changmin, I hoped he could see the apology on my face. He sighed but let go of my hand.

I smiled bringing my hand up to my hair, what did I get myself into.

“Go on,” he sighed.

I stared at the box, all of a sudden I didn’t want to open it anymore. I inhaled sharply and pulled the silver ribbon off the box. I gasped as the lid came off revealing an identical bracelet to the one I had on. I looked up at Changmin, hoping that he would give me a response. Instead he smiled shyly at me. 

“It’s so pretty!” his mother yelped.

I continued staring at him confused, embarrassed. Why did I do this to him. He must be feeling very uncomfortable now. Argh, I could be hitting myself.

“Put it on for her!” his father joined in.

“No!” I gasped.

Changmin looked even more embarrassed.

I gulped, “I mean,” I laughed, “It’s embarrassing, we’ll do it in our own time.”

His parents looked disappointed but soon nodded, “Yes, do it on your own time,” they smiled slyly.

I gasped, , they think we’re sleeping with each other now, “No, that’s not what I meant…” I cringed.

They laughed, “We know you guys are young and can’t keep your hands off each other, but let’s get married first... before adding to the family.”

“Omma!” Changmin growled.

I was mortified, get me out of here. His parents continued laughing until the butler came into the room with my parents following him.

“Mr and Mrs Jang,” he announced.

My parents came in a grin on their faces. They formally bowed to Changmin’s parents and promptly sat down in conversation. I quickly slammed the blue box closed. Changmin was trying his hardest to not look at me. I quickly grabbed his hand and slammed the box in it. He looked at me confused, I didn’t know what to do so I grinned.