Check Up

Incomplete Marriage

 

Changmin’s P.O.V

 

My leg was twitching just waiting for her to come down the stairs. I desperately wanted to sneak away and call Hyun Joong, but that was going to be impossible with Halmeoni carefully monitoring me.

“She’s taking awfully long,” Halmeoni frowned. She turned around glancing up the stairs again. I raised my eyes after her, nothing yet. No movement what so ever.

Halmeoni’s eyes narrowed, “Something’s wrong,” she snarled, “I better go up and look.”

My heart skipped a beat, “No!” I gasped.

Halmeoni turned to me frowning.

I inhaled, my brain racing for thoughts, “She’s… she’s… her vomit stinks.”

Halmeoni did a double take.

“And… and you wouldn’t want any of it splashing onto your lovely suit,” I continued.  

Halmeoni looked like the wind was taken out of her.

I nodded, “Exactly.” I raised my hands up, a disgusted face fixed, “It’s so gross.”

“Gross?” Halmeoni raised her brow.

I made the mistakes of letting my eyes wander. Halmeoni shook her head and turned towards the stairs.

Damn, I wanted to scream.

I trotted after her up the stairs. She stiffly walked towards the bathroom her hands raised to knock. I frowned, turning away, she’s going to catch us lying. Suddenly the door opened and Seung Ni came out beaming.

“You don’t want to go in there,” she winked, “It’s a mess.” She grinned, her eyes turning into slits, “You must remember your own pregnancy,” she laughed, bringing a hand to shield .

I frowned, what was going on here.

Halmeoni exhaled loudly and grabbed onto Seung Ni’s hand, “Let’s get you to your check up,” she said firmly.

Seung Ni’s face dropped as she followed after my grandmother. I crept after them, my heart beating a little too fast for me to be comfortable. We entered into my room where the doctors have set up their equipment. It looked like they had brought their whole lab with them. Just to check whether Seung Ni was pregnant or not. I swallowed hard, god how am I going to get out of this?

“Sit!” Halmeoni demanded, pushing Seung Ni into the arm chair.

Seung Ni looked up at me, “Come here,” she mouthed. 

Immediately, I obliged and scuttled over to her. She grabbed onto my hand hard. 

Halmeoni turned her stiff posture towards the doctor and nodded, “Do whatever you have to do,” she said sternly.

They nodded, tugged at their latex gloves for the last time and approached us. I felt like a battered hen in a cage. We had no where to run.

“First, I’m just going to check your health,” one of the doctors said from behind his mask.

Seung Ni nodded.

He put his stethoscope into his ears and stuck it underneath Seung Ni’s top. I drummed my fingers onto my lap, goodness can you tell if a person is not pregnant by just listening to their heart. I cringed, god, this was getting intense. Any minute now, Halmeoni is going to be raging.

“You’re heart is very strong, can you please turn around.”

Seung Ni pouted, but did as she was told.

Again, he stuck his stethoscope underneath her shirt.
“A strong cough please.”

Seung Ni obliged. She looked up at me as he ran the stethoscope across her skin. I frowned, she was taking this too lightly. I exhaled loudly again as I shifted uncomfortably on the edge of the arm chair. 

The doctor turned around, placed his stethoscope around his neck and picked up another piece of equipment. He turned back with an otoscope and proceeded to examine Seung Ni’s ear. Even though we were in my room, I felt like I was a little kid at the doctor’s practice again. Goodness how I hated them back then.

He then pulled his light from his pocket and check . The anticipation was killing me, just finish up already.

“You’re very healthy,” he smiled. “Would you just go into the bathroom and give me a urine simple.”

Seung Ni nodded jumping to her feet immediately. She grabbed the little container and walked calmly to the adjacent ensuite.

“I’m coming too,” Halmeoni said.

Seung Ni froze, ajar.

“Halmeoni,” I gasped.

She turned back at me frowning, “I have to see this for myself, she could be lying not only to me but to you too Changmin.”

I cringed, bringing a hand to scratch my confused head.

Halmeoni turned back on her heals and pushed Seung Ni into the bathroom. They disappeared into the large ensuite together. As soon as the door clicked, my heart began to speedily pump a crazy amount of oxygen to my confused brain. I exhaled, throwing my head back, what to do? I paced my bedroom floor, coming with all sorts of excuses. There has been a mistake, the doctor’s equipment are wrong. I cringed, as if she was going to believe that. She lost her baby? Already? My face turned sour, I hate thinking about that. Oh goodness, I had no where to run. CLICK the door jerked open and Seung Ni came out bashfully the urine sample in her hand. She quickly handed it to the doctor and stumbled to my side. 

Halmeoni had her eyes firmly narrowed at the doctor, it was all up to him now.
“It will take me a few minutes to get the results Mrs Shim, please wait patiently.”

Halmeoni gave him one of her scary beams, “Just do as you are told Doctor, do whatever you need to give me the results.”

I turned to Seung Ni beside me, she had her hands entwined together, her lips thinned. I sighed, even she didn’t look like she had the confidence in herself. I snorted softly, why did I think of this stupid lie for.

We sat in my room, an awkward silence lingering as we waited for the results. I nearly spent all my time thinking about how Halmeoni would react. She would probably throw Seung Ni out immediately, once she got her hands on the results.

“Okay,” the doctor side.

My heart leapt out of my chest. I cringed, it was time for the truth to come out.

The doctor, pulled a bunch of paper from his printer and came around to Halmeoni.

I clenched my hands into a fist. , , .

“First thing that I have to say,” he smiled. 

I froze. Seung Ni brought a hand worriedly up to her ear.

“Seung Ni,” he frowned.

Oh god, this time I was going to vomit.

“You’re very dehydrated, please drink more water.”

I let out a huge release of air, running my hand through my hair. This was definitely killing me.

“Second thing,” the doctor smiled. “Congratulations Halmeonim.”

I froze. Quickly, I spun around on my heels to face him, “Congrat… congratulations?” I stuttered.

He nodded, “Yes, you two are going to be having a baby.”

My mouth dropped, congratulations.

The doctor pulled his paper in front of Halmeoni, his finger jabbing at the pages as he explained to her.

I brought a hand to my pale cheeks, turning back to Seung Ni confused, “What did you do?” I whispered.

She smiled, “I’ll tell you later.

I looked at her grinning, we were actually saved. There was no chance she was going to leave me now. I couldn’t help beaming as I grabbed onto her hand again. Goodness, I need to celebrate.

The doctor finished his detail explanation of the papers and then began to pack up his things. Halmeoni raised her eyes up at me worriedly and nodded.

“Looks like we’re going to have to get you two married as soon as possible.”

In my peripheral, I could see Seung Ni nodding like a puppy.

Halmeoni snorted, tightened her fist around the papers and followed the doctor out my room. 

As soon as the door closed behind her I let out an exaggerated sigh and ran towards Seung Ni picking her up into a hug.

“What did you do?” I beamed.

She grinned, as I dropped her back onto the floor.

I raised an eyebrow, “Come on, I can’t even guess.”

Seung Ni turned away slyly, her hand resting on her abdomen. 

My eyes narrowed, why was she keeping me waiting.

“Changmin,” she smiled, turning back to me her face scrunched up, “You’re going to need to write a cheque for $5000.”

My eyebrows shot up, “Only?” I gasped.

Seung Ni gave me a weak smile, “And…” she said slyly. 

One of my eyes twitched.

“You’re going to have to guarantee that his son get’s into one of the top fifty universities in the world.”

My mouth fell open, but after a little re thinking, I nodded. “Sounds reasonable enough,” I smiled.

Seung Ni leapt into the air, a grin on her face, “Wow,” she gasped, “You’re so awesome!” she threw her arm around my neck, “Seriously top fifty?”

I shrugged, “I know a lot of people. And plus, the lure of a one year free accommodation at our hotel is the mother of all briberies.”

Seung Ni’s lips raised into a smirk, “You’re so smart.”

I grinned, looking down at her, “So,” I sighed, “How’d you do it?”