Morphine

Incomplete Marriage

 

Seung Ni P.O.V

I tapped my fingers on the hospital counter annoyingly, Changmin was sure taking a long time to get them to discharge me. I was fine, promise, maybe just give another three doses and morphine and I’d be as good as ever. Or maybe not. I was happily playing with the get well teddy bear on the counter when a small hand landed on my shoulder.

“Seung Ni…”

I cringed, no, not her, not now. I froze, what should I do?

“Seung Ni, please.”

I gulped down the lump in my throat, plastered on my biggest smile and turned around, “Yeon Hee,” I beamed.

She bit her lower lip but then looked up at me with a gentle smile. I raised an eyebrow, god, no time to act cute, I already know I should be guilty. Just… just get on with it already. 

“We need to talk,” she finalized.

My lips thinned, the talk, goodness this was going to be difficult, “N… Na.. Now?” I raised an eyebrow with hope.

She nodded.

“Can’t we talk later? Once I’m better? Or how about once we’re back in Korea?” Please, please, please just say yes.

Yeon Hee tilted her head, distressed, “Um…” she sighed softly, “Please, I need to talk to you now.”

I gasped, quickly disguising it underneath a cough, “Okay,” I sighed exaggerating it a little , “If it is that important to you.”

Yeon Hee nodded and turned around to walk slowly towards the couch. Biting my lower lip, I obediently followed her over. She sat down, giving me a small smile and indicated me to do the same. Once I had sunken down into the seat, I knew I was trapped. No where else to run now. I scanned the waiting area, there was a nurse by a trolley there busily scrawling something onto a clip board, no use, she won’t be able to help me. A mother just a few meters away from me, her baby was sleeping calmly in her arms, as if she was going to scream for help any minute. I sighed loudly, to my mistake that caused Yeon Hee to shift uncomfortably in her seat. 

“Urgh…” I cringed, “So what is it that couldn’t wait until we got back to Korea.”

Yeon Hee looked up at me, her eyes large, but then she turned her face down to her hands, “Seung Ni…” she began.

My eyebrows knitted together, oh I didn’t like the sound of that, I turned my head towards the corridor, please, please, please somebody walk in. But to my dismay nobody did.

I sighed, turning to her with an eyebrow raised, “Go on,” I encouraged.

Yeon Hee sighed, “When you were in the water screaming, I was really worried.”

I smiled, “I’m sorry,” I said, “I’m very grateful that you care about my wellbeing.”

Yeon Hee nodded, her lips thinning, “But…”

My heart stopped pumping the much needed blood to my brain.

“Changmin was surprisingly more concerned that I was.”

I gulped, I didn’t know what to say.

“He was at your side in seconds, fighting the life guards to get to you.”

I couldn’t even lift me eyes to face her, I was too weak.

“When they put you in the trolley and asked who wanted to come, Changmin jumped to it.”

I smiled, “Well that was very nice of him, hey?” I laughed. My laughter broke, Yeon Hee still had that same worried expression on her face. I sighed.

“He said that you were his fiance,”

My heart dropped, I bet hers did also. The truth was out, the glass had shattered, nothing I could do now. I turned to Yeon Hee, my lips to emphasize my seriousness.

I swallowed hard, where do I start, “Yeon Hee,” I began softly. “When you broke up with Changmin, he… he became a very broken man,”

She chewed on her bottom lip, I swear if she was going to continue it any longer she was going to start bleeding.

I cringed. “I’m sure you’ve heard this, but he became very difficult,”

She said nothing.

“Hey, when I say difficult I mean it, he was a damn selfish, idiotic, je…”

Yeon Hee looked up at me an eyebrow raised.

I froze, “Well you know what I mean.”

“Well, his parents decided to arrange him with me, because like you said, I’m an Australian too.”

Yeon Hee nodded.

I bit my lip, “At first I couldn’t stand him, I couldn’t even stand being in the same room as him, he was just so difficult, I was definitely only in this marriage because I had to finish my course.”

Yeon Hee frowned, “Why couldn’t you finish your course else where?”

I snorted, “You have no basic understanding of how that family co-operates.”

She frowned.

“Well, Changmin’s mother used her power to let say, black list me from all companies out there. But I did think about moving to a different country. Unfortunately, she was too smart and eventually ruled that out for me too.”

Yeon Hee sighed loudly.

“So I was basically stuck with him,” I laughed, “Trust me, I was so annoyed for the first few months.” I paused, a smile coming to me, “But then,” I was beaming now, “Changmin showed me other sides of him that I’ve never seen before.”

I grinned, quickly raising a hand to hide my flushed cheeks. Yeon Hee was still looking at her hand, expressionless.

I grinned, “Did you know he attends a lot of charity events?”

She nodded, “Yeah, we used to do that to boost his image…”

I frowned, “No, I’m pretty sure he enjoys those things.”

Yeon Hee looked up at me, “Go on,” she demanded.

I gulped, “Well, I started falling for him,” I paused to look at her, she was eagerly staring back at me. I grinned, “Actually I’ve fallen for him,” I raised a brow, “Actually that night at his grandmother’s house we were announcing our engagement.”

“You’re false engagement,” Yeon Hee said sternly.

I turned to her confused, but she was right, “Yes, false engagement,” I nodded, my eyebrows slightly narrowed.

Yeon Hee sat up straighter, “But didn’t you get what you want? Halmeoni terminated the contract, you don’t have to marry him, you get your life, your career back.”

My shoulders dropped, “But, but Changmin and I realized how much it was not worth it, I love him, we love each other.”

Yeon Hee snorted, “Love each other?”

I nodded.

“Are you sure this is not one way? You love each other?”

I frowned, yes I am sure. I nodded.

She sighed loudly, “Changmin’s grandmother agreed that he was my perfect match.”

I chewed my lower lip.

“But Changmin proposed to me.”

Yeon Hee turned her head away from me, “Then why did he agree to marry me?”
I paused, why did he agree to marry her, my mouth opened to argue but nothing came out, I… I realized I didn’t know. My eyebrows furrowed immediately, my lips trembling, why did he agree to marry her?

“Seung Ni!” 

I looked up, Hyun Joong placed a firm hand on my shoulder, “Are you okay?”

My lower lip trembled, “I think I’m in pain again.”

He frowned, “Do you want some more morphine?”

My eyes dropped to the floor, “I don’t think that would help.”