Lady Grey

Incomplete Marriage

 

Seung Ni’s P.O.V

I didn’t tell him, but my favourite picture was the one where he planted his kiss on my forehead. At first I was reluctant when the photographer told us to do it, but as soon as he did it, it felt right. And heck, the picture turned out great too. 

“What are you looking at?”

I jumped, “Yah!” I complained, “You scared me,” I quickly tucked the photograph under my pillow.

He pouted, “I’m sorry.”

I turned to him grinning, “You were looking for me?”

He shrugged, “I was just checking to see if you’d slit your wrist.”

I rolled my eyes, “Oh come on, it’s just a seven carat canary diamond engagement ring,”

He laughed.

“Warning, don’t annoy me, seven carats leaves a mean bruise.”

He shook his head and sat down beside me, “That would be domestic violence.”

I shrugged, “Where’s that Tiffany’s bracelet?”

Changmin bit his lip.

“No, it was meant for me right?”

He frowned.

“I want it!” I persisted.

Changmin inhaled sharply, “You’ve got one.”

I shifted my lip, “Not from you,” I mumbled.

We sat in silence on the bed. I was too scared to look at him. But then suddenly he dug his hand into his pocket and pulled out the bracelet.

http://www.tiffanyjewelry1837.com/uploadpic/20083521342351876.jpg

I frowned, “It’s a heart tag,”

His lips thinned, “I couldn’t find a circle tag,”

My eyes lightened, “Even better! Now I have both!”

Inside I was jumping, he got me a heart one. If this were a drama, it would be symbolic of him giving me his heart. But in real life, its a case of him no being able to find a circle one. And plus, this was all fake right? Fight the feelings!

I snatched the bracelet off him and proceeded to put it on my wrist. I didn’t want him doing it, it would make us more awkward. But after a few failed attempts Changmin snatched it away from me and closed it on my wrist.

I growled, “I had it!”

He shrugged, “You were so pathetic.”

“Do you really want me to try this seven carats on you?”

Changmin laughed, “You’re an idiot.”

My mouth dropped, “I want the box too!” But he had already left my room.

 

I climbed down the stairs wearing purple satin ballet flats today. I had red stockings under grey shorts and a purple one shoulder top on under my double ed white coat. I was on my way to the kitchen when I came across Changmin at the dinner table.

“What the?” I frowned as I came into the room.

Changmin looked up, a small smile on his face. “Wedding invitations,” he sighed.

I frowned, “Already?” I spat.

He nodded and pulled out the chair beside him for me. On the table there were hundreds of red and black invitations stacked in neat piles. I cringed. He was wearing a white blazer over a grey v-neck sweater and jeans. Jeans?

“You’re not going to work?”

He shook his head, his forehead resting on a hand. He looked stress.

“Why…”

He looked up, a small smile on his face, “Because you and I are going to meet the elders.”

I pointed a shaking hand at the invitations, “To… to…”

He nodded, “Yeah,” he sighed, “Go and practice your formal bows.”

“!” I cringed.

“Language!” 

I whipped around, Changmin’s parents had come into the room too.

“Seung Ni!” Mr Shim smiled, dropping an arm on my shoulders.

I toppled off balance but he held me up.

Mrs Shim was grinning, “They’re matching.”

I frowned, “What?”

She pointed at Changmin and I, “You’re clothes.”

I raised a brow, just because he had a white blazer on and I, a white coat did not mean we were matching.

“That would please the elders,” Mr Shim finished off.

I sighed loudly.

Changmin stood up, picked up the closest pile of invitations in his hands and sighed, “We’ll get these delivered first,” he told his parents.

I stood stiff as a rock, serious? Today?

Changmin bade his parents farewell and grabbed my arm, dragging me out to the garage. I climbed into the passenger seat and he emptied the invitations onto my lap. I gave him a weak look.

“First off,” he smiled, trying to lighten the mood, “My grandparents.” He pulled out the driveway.

I leafed through the invitations, there had got to be thirty or so there, how were we going to finish it in one day?

“Where are your grandparents?”

Changmin grinned, “Residing in the holiday house.”

I frowned, looking at him suspiciously, “Where’s that?”

Changmin pulled the car off into the highway, “Jeju Island,” he grinned.

I gasped, “How are we going to get back in time?”

He shrugged, “We’re not.”

My eyes narrowed, “We’re going to be staying overnight? But… but… my things.”

“They’re packed.”

“You packed my things without telling me?”

“No,”

I glared at him.

“The maids did.”

I sniggered and turned my focus out the window. And hour later I could see the sea, the waves crashing onto the rocks, the air smelt fresher. I smiled, I have never been here. Changmin pulled in front of a small house. My eyebrows clenched together. What the?

“Holiday house?” I gasped.

Changmin nodded, he popped the boot and proceeded to pull out out things.

“But… it’s small.”

He grinned, “It’s got four rooms.”

I blinked confused, “Only?”

Changmin turned to me an eyebrow raised, “House. Not mansion.”

“But… but, you’re…”

“Rich?”

I shrugged, taking my overnight bag away from him. It was Gucci, I wasn’t going to let him hold it for too long. He took a step closer to me, his tall frame over powering my petite body, I leant as far away from him as possible.

“Sometimes, the architecture of a smaller house is appreciated too.”

I pouted, right…

As we climbed the small hill up towards the house, I began to notice how different rich people were. Yes they had a little holiday house with four rooms. What he didn’t tell me was, behind this small holiday house was a large mansions, both owned by the Shims.

“You’re gaping like a fish,” Changmin smirked.

I slapped his arm, “You didn’t tell me…”

He shrugged, “The whole family is here, we’ve got the cottage to ourselves.”

I leant away from him, I didn’t like that sly smile on his face. He broke into a grin and continued up into the small cottage.

 

======================================================
Listen to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEtJUgCatfM
You’re My Destiny – Krystal and Luna of f(x)

----------------------------------------------------------

Changmin’s P.O.V

 

I dropped my overnight bag onto the only bed in the cottage. She was in shock, a frown spread across her lips.
“Why is there only a bed?”

I laughed, “I told you there were four rooms.”

She nodded, “Yeah… four bedrooms. Where are they?”

I shook my head, “No,” I sighed, grabbing her by the shoulder and pushing her into the only bedroom. “Four rooms.”

She raised a brow.

“A bedroom,” I pushed her to the bathroom, “A bathroom,” I pushed her into the small kitchen, “Kitchen…”

She looked at the small couch and TV, “Living room?”

I nodded.

“But you’ve got a mansion up there! A mansion…. With at least twenty bedrooms.”

I shrugged, “Go ahead, you can face the family there.”

Her eyes widened, obviously scared.

I smirked, “If you want to have a peaceful night, you’re going to have to stay here.”

She nodded, slowly reaching for the bed, “Okay…” she said, barely audible.

I began to unload my things.

“Why… why don’t we just stay here?”

I laughed, “What? And let them think we’re making babies again?”

She cringed.

“Exactly, now come on, you’ve got some bowing to do.”

Seung Ni didn’t fight back as I dragged her out of the cottage and up the foot path to the mansion.

“It’s unfair,” she whinged. “Why is it that only the female bow?”

I smiled, “If you want, I’ll bow to you as many times as you want me to, when we’re done.”

“Really!” she grinned, her eyes slightly narrowing, into what I perceived as pure evil.

“Wait… I’m starting to regret saying that.”

Seung Ni shook her head, “Too bad, you already said it.”

Thankfully none of my relatives were there when we reached the front door steps. My grandparents had prepared a high tea lunch out in the courtyard, for us.

“Seung Ni,” I smiled, “Meet my grandparents.”

She stepped out from hiding behind me, a shy smile on her face, “Harabeoji, Halmoni, annyeong ha sim ni kka.”

They smiled at her disapprovingly. We took our seats at the table in silence as my grandmother proceeded to give her the head to toe check.

“How much do you earn a year?”

“Halmeoni!” I snapped.

Seung Ni shifted in her seat, pulling herself closer to me.

“What?” my grandmother snorted, “I was just asking.”

I rolled my eyes, “She’s a student, and she’s working for the company.”

My grandmother nodded, slight improvement. 

“Are you in love?” she said slyly.

I gulped, what were we going to do now. Thankfully the food arrived, in their tree tiers. I sighed with relief. 

“Lady Grey?” my grandmother offered.

I cringed, I hated Lady Grey, the citrus was too strong.

“No,” Seung Ni shook her head, “I prefer English Breakfast.”

My grandmother shook her head as the maid poured the brewing tea into our teacups.

“Just like Changmin, you two know nothing about class.”

I sighed, “Yes Halmeoni.”

Seung Ni proceeded to add milk in her tea which shocked my grandparents.

“What is she doing?” my grandmother spat.

Seung Ni looked up confused, “Pardon?”

I grabbed her elbow, “Milk?” I whispered.

She looked at the milk in her hand, “Oh…” she gasped. She looked up to see a look of disgust on my grandmother and amusement on my grandfather.

She gulped, “It’s… It’s an Australian thing…” she cringed.

I smiled, “I might try some too.”

She looked at me confused, but poured some into my cup.

“Australian?” my grandfather grinned, “When did you come to Korea?”

Seung Ni rubbed her forehead, “Five years ago?”

He nodded, “We don’t know too many Australians.”

She smiled kindly.

“Welcome to the family.”

Seung Ni shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Maybe it was because she knew that she was going to be leaving the family in a year.

“It’s a formal party tonight,” my grandmother said, not giving us a look.

Seung Ni raised her eyebrow at me.

“Western tradition,” my grandmother continued, “Evening dress, preferably red or pink.”

Seung Ni gagged. I placed a warning hand onto her lap. She immediately changed her expression.

“We have two choices for you, they are sent to your cottage right now. I believe you like couture?”

Seung Ni’s eyes lit up, I snorted in laughter. 

My grandmother raised a perfect eyebrow, “Assure me that you will be at your best behavior Changmin.”

I straightened up, clearing my throat, “Definitely.”