Runaway 19 : Comfort

YoonHyun Story 3
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

19 | Comfort

 

 

***

 

 

"Who? Who are you... Talking about?" Yoona decided not to believe what her mind and heart are telling her. She didn't know how did she find out, but it breaks her heart, listening to her cries.

 

Seohyun didn't answer. She just continues to cry on her shoulder while hugging her tight, seeking some comfort. Yoona decided to keep quiet and continue comforting her.

 

After some time, her cries slowed down and she brought her to a nearby park. And when she calms down, she bought her a bottle of water and waited patiently until she broke her silence.

 

"My friend, my childhood friend happened to be Mr. Im's daughter, Yoongie." Seohyun's voice is low and raspy as she sniffles one more time. "It hurts... It hurts to know... I thought I still have a chance to meet her someday. Now that doesn't seem going to happen." She looked up to the sky and breathed out heavily. Tears are once again dropping. "She's probably up there too right? An angel, like you." 

 

Yoona is gritting her teeth and clenching her fists as she holds back her tears and frustrations inside that she can't tell her. "Y-yeah." She only can reply. 

 

"Have you meet her?" Seohyun tilted her head to see the doe-eyed's face. The latter shakes her head. "She died at such a young age." She sighs heavily. "I wonder how?" 

 

"I'm sure she's happy watching you right now, Hyun." Yoona softly says. "She's happy that you grew up well." And she means it. 

 

Seohyun wipes the new tears off and sniffles as she nodded and smiled bitterly.

 

"Do you want to go to the beach?" Yoona softly asks. She was reminded of their favorite place when they were kids. 

 

"Yes, I'd love that." Seohyun instantly replied.

 

Yoona gets up and holds out her hand. Gently the younger girl holds her hand and stood up, staring at her with a little smile. She smiled back and holds their hands as they leave the park hand in hand.

 

:::

 

Fine sand, the air is fresh and the sky is blue, reflecting the sea before them. Yoona and Seohyun stood side by side, one is still sad while the other is hopeful.

 

"I don't know much but I heard when someone left, they go to paradise beaches like this. Happily roaming around, playing with the same age as them." Says Yoona slowly tilting her head to her right to see Seohyun's side profile. "Which means that she is fine. So you don't have to worry about her. She's always fine. You have to keep going."

 

Seohyun nodded and chuckled bitterly. "I just can't still believe it. I mean we were just too young, she even dreamed to be a doctor and promise me that she will protect me as we grow up. Guess it wasn't really what the plans for her." she crouched down and smiled bitterly at seashells that remind her of her friend. Unconsciously she's picking them and building them like a mountain. 

 

Yoona also lowered herself and watches her girlfriend playing. It also reminds her of their childhood, tightening her chest.

 

"I'm so sorry, firefly. I'm so sorry." Sniffles Seohyun as once again tears are falling. "But thank you... you were... such a great friend. You were the only friend of mine back then... that I treasure the most. Don't worry about me here as well... I'm doing all fine. And I have such a caring girlfriend." she can't help and mention as she glances to the doe-eyed next to her, smiling bitterly.

 

Yoona feels like her heart was torn into pieces. 'Why can't I tell her?' She whines silently, desperate to see her happy smiles if she ever gets to know. 'This is torture.' She believes so. 'I'm so sorry too, Seohyun-ah. I'm so sorry.' She bit her lower lip and is doing her best not a single tear will drop from her already watery eyes.

 

Looking up to the sky, Seohyun sighs and chuckled lightly. "It's weird that I wish I could fly there and at least once... I could meet you."

 

"If only I can do that too." Yoona softly commented. "But maybe someday, she'll meet you again, Seohyun." she wanted to give her hope.

 

"You believe so?" Seohyun looked back at the doe-eyed. "Because I want to too."

 

"If ever you get to meet her, what will you tell her?" Yoona curiously asks and Seohyun looked up to the sky again.

 

"I want to hug her again... and tell the words I told you earlier." Softly Seohyun says. She's hopeful there's a chance for that to happen. "But will she able to recognize me? I have grown up." but she had a little concern.

 

"For sure. She will." Yoona reached her cheeks and wipes the tears off gently with her thumb without leaving her soft gazes with her. "Memories will recognize you to her."

 

Seohyun is flattered hearing those words. She smiled genuinely and moved closer to rest her head on the doe-eyed's shoulder. She's glad Yoona is by her side at the moment. She felt so comforted. "Thank you, Yoongie."

 

"I love you." whispers Yoona, gently kisses her girlfriend's forehead as she took her hand. 

 

Closing her eyes, Seohyun holds the doe-eyed's hand back, as her lips are still curved into a smile. But once again tears are dropping unconsciously.

 

:::

 

Stepping out of the bedroom, Yoona bowed to Mrs. Seo when she saw her.

 

"What happened?" Ask Mrs. Seo in concern. They returned home already sunset and had a quiet dinner. 

 

"She learned about her childhood friend's...death." Yoona lowered her voice and sighs. "She's having a hard time processing it. But she's fine." She assured the mother, sensing her worries.

 

"How about you?" Mrs. Seo knows the truth from Taeyeon. "Are you okay?" And she's glad Yoona is taking care of her daughter but she can see the young angel is having a hard time as well.

 

"Yes." Yoona fake a smile as she nodded. 

 

"Come here." Mrs. Seo moved closer and brought her into her arms. She rubs her back gently and whispers, "You can cry too." 

 

Yoona took a minute to control herself but she ends up breaking down on Mrs. Seo's shoulder. 

 

"Thank you for being my daughter's guardian angel." Mrs. Seo whispers as she continues to comfort the young angel. "I owe you everything, Angel Yo." She added. She can hear her sobs only as Yoona is smart to control them to prevent herself from waking Seohyun up.

 

:::

 

Seohyun gained consciousness the next day, finding two backpacks on the floor and Yoona is putting clothes inside. "What's going on?" And she recognized the shirts and shorts as hers.

 

"We're going on a hike." Yoona announced, flashing her biggest smile. Mrs. Seo suggested last night to bring her daughter somewhere that would make her daughter happy. She didn't hesitate and agreed to it so she woke up earlier to prepare stuff.

 

"What?" Seohyun got out of bed and check her clothes inside the bag. She only has three pairs of clothes inside which made her sigh in relief because it means they're only out for a day and night out there. "What made you think to do this?" She is in disbelief.

 

"We haven't gone for a hike. I searched on the internet that this is one of the things couples should do." Yoona said, brightly smiling. She felt better now compared to last night. Mrs. Seo did a good job comforting her also. But things should keep moving forward so here she is, ready to seize the day with her girlfriend.

 

Seohyun smiles briefly. "Okay. I'll take a shower first." She gets up and walks to the bathroom can't help and glanced back to the doe-eyed then smiles appeared again on her face. 'What's up with her?' She thought in mind but thinking of doing something she hasn't done with her excites her out of a sudden. She takes a shower, feeling all so good.

 

 

:::

 

 

"Omma!" Exclaimed Seohyun when she steps inside the car at the back seat. "You're joining us?" 

 

"No, I'm dropping you guys there. It's only just two hours of drive. And Sooyoung is looking after the store well." Said Mrs. Seo, happy to see her daughter's smiles are back.

 

"It's funnier then." Seohyun giggles.

 

Yoona stepped into the backseat next to her girlfriend and bowed her head to Mrs. Seo as she flashes a bright smile only.

 

"Fasten your seat belt girls." Announced Mrs. Seo and the two complied before she drives off. "Have you gone to a hike, Yoona?" She asks the quiet sleepy doe-eyed checking on her through the rearview mirror.

 

"Not yet." Yoona shakes her head.

 

"What?!" Seohyun is stunned. "I thought you have?" She chuckled in disbelief. "Should I be the leader of this hike?" She suggested without a doubt.

 

"That would be a great idea." Yoona cheerfully replied.

 

"Tsk." Seohyun playfully hits her arm earning giggles.

 

"Hiking is fun. And you guys will meet a lot of hikers there too. Most of them are older so don't forget to greet them." 

 

"Yes, Omma." Seohyun instantly assured. 

 

Yoona just smiled, happy to see her girlfriend is more than excited than her. 

 

"You guys packed enough food, right?"

 

"I prepared everything, Mrs. Seo. We won't run out of it." Yoona said proudly. Even though she's not sure it tastes good for her girlfriend, she successfully cooked more than just one. It was the first time and she felt like she achieved something big. 

 

"She woke up so early to prepare it. Aish. I could've helped you." Seohyun pouted cutely.

 

"My surprise was a success then." Chuckled Yoona earning a hit again on her arm which causes her to stick her tongue out in victory.

 

"You did a good job though." Praises Seohyun, can't deny the efforts her girlfriend did. She's fluttered with it. 

 

"Thanks, Seohyunnie." Yoona changes her voice to pull her aegyo. Both Seohyun and her mother cringed at it. "Seohyunnie you're the best." She added with the same voice. But her girlfriend glared at her instead. She just giggles in victory.

 

"Don't use any aegyo." Seohyun warned. 

 

"Is that aegyo? But it's cu-" Yoona wasn't able to continue it when the younger covered . 

 

"Stop it." 

 

Yoona pouted cutely. "Fine." But playfully hit her forehead which resulted in Seohyun to does the same and they end up hitting each other while laughing which's filling up the car.

 

'These two.' Mrs. Seo is quite amused from the driver's seat.

 

 

:::

 

 

"Call me when something happened, okay?"

 

"Yes, Omma." Seohyun replied in an instant and did a playful salute.

 

"Drive safe, Mrs. Seo." Yoona said flashing a friendly smile. As she drives off, she heard the younger girl sighs. "Wae?"

 

"I'm relieved that it's you and me now." Seohyun explained and she took the doe-eyed's hand right away, smiling giddily. She had been so eager to do it since they were in the car.

 

Yoona chuckled softly and drags her gently with her, joining the other hikers as they start their journey together for the first time. They have their sticks holding on their respective hands, like the other hikers. They have a pathway to follow so it's easy for everyone.

 

"It's refreshing." Says Seohyun as she inhaled the air with smiles on her face. Being close to nature is always the best feeling.

 

"Indeed." Yoona simply said. She keeps glancing to their path to make sure she and she are safe from any trip.

 

"Been 8 years I guess since I have done this. I was in a retreat when I last did this." Shares Seohyun, feeling like she's a kid ag

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter