Runaway 07: New Year

YoonHyun Story 3
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

07 | New Year

 

 

***

 

 

"Good Morning, sweetie."

 

A very sweet greetings greeted Seohyun just as she gains consciousness from her deep slumber. She feels like still sleeping but her mom parted the curtains immediately which causes her to be blinded by the bright lights outside.

 

"Fix your hair. You're like a zombie." Mrs. Seo/Parker saidjoke while she's picking up the pillows and few pieces of packs of chips on the floor. Her daughter's hotel room is a mess and she know why. The two ends up playing a video game all night and did not notice the time.

 

Seohyun parted her hair that was covering her face and sigh with a pout. She recalls how happy she was with Yoona last night but she felt sad at the moment because she left after that. She thought she's going to stay for the night again but no, something came up that needs to leave.

 

"Freshen up and pack your stuffs." Mrs. Seo instructed.

 

"Why?"

 

She smiled sweetly. "We're going to New York." And give her daughter a kiss on her forehead. She tucks her hair behind her ears to help her fix her hair and added, "We're going to celebrate new year there. Hmm?" She kisses her forehead again before leaving to put the trash on the trash can.

 

Seohyun casually left her bedroom and grabs her towel to as she went to her bathroom. Mrs. Seo check the time and smile before she gives one last look to her daughter's silhouette behind the door and left her room.

 

-

 

Seohyun has completely pack her stuffs into her luggage when she almost forgot about the bracelet. She picked it up on top of the night stand and slide it on her left wrist before leaving the room in a hurry. Her mother and her step father had been waiting for her from the elevator that she has to sprint all the way to them and they entered the elevator together. She greeted Mr. Parker with a big bow and a smile. She stood next to her mother and the latter hook an arm with her.

 

"Seohyun-ah, do you want to go somewhere first before heading to the airport?" Mr. Parker couldn't miss the chance and want to get close with her.

 

Seohyun was a bit surprised that's actually good at their language. "Whatever you like to do." She just told him without giving him a look.

 

"We have two hours before our departure. Let's go to the mall first." Mrs. Seo suggested and she smiled to her daughter then to her husband.

 

"Do you plan to shop again?" Mr. Parker joke earning a nod and laughter from his wife. Seohyun just smile a little. "If you like anything, don't be shy to ask, Joohyun." He couldn't also neglect her.

 

"I'm fine, Mr. Parker." Seohyun lowly replied. "Thanks."

 

"Aigoo, don't be so shy. I'm your father now." He pursued and smiled sweetly at her as he tried to see her face.

 

Seohyun nodded and smiled back. She's still uncomfortable even after a week.

 

"I can't wait to bring you to places you would really love." Mr. Parker excitedly said.

 

"We'll have more time bonding this time." Mrs. Seo smiled back to her husband. She's excited herself because she's finally going to have a full time with her daughter. It's been her plan since she arrived but due to wedding preparations, she wasn't able to. It's definitely worth the wait.

 

Seohyun loved the idea quietly.

 

-

 

Ever since she received a call that she needs to return to the house of angels, Yoona had been in her seat, together with the other fallen angels, answering a long test exam like they were students. It's their way to keep their knowledge intact. Especially to their rules. However, for Yoona who is mischievous and doesn't study well, she's having a hard time answering it. She only knew the rules but the humans', she totally doesn't have any idea.

 

Half way to the time limit of the exam, Yoona got bored and she just answered encircled the letters without even reading them. She just wanted to finish it and leave the room. She's envy to angels that left earlier after answering faster than her. Most of them are genius that she wishes she's the same. But of course, that's not something that will happen.

 

Just a minute before the time limit, she finished it and she quickly handed her paper to the angel looking after them. She left the room like a child who just got out of their house and meet with her two seniors.

 

"We'll have a meeting on the second floor." Unfortunately, Taeyeon has some bad news to her junior.

 

"What for?" She groaned in compliance.

 

"New Year is just around the corner. There will be a lot of celebrations around the globe. Fallen Angels are in-task to keep their eyes on every places they are assigned to, to make sure it will be a peaceful celebration." Jessica explained in behalf of the older woman.

 

"Chincha? So, I won't be able to see Seohyun in the coming days?" Yoona pouted sadly. She thought she's going to grant her promise already after answering the questions but turns out it's not.

 

"Yeah, sorry about that Yoona. No worries, you have more time for your mission later." Taeyeon reassuringly said. "Come on now." And ushers her to go upstairs.

 

Sad deer just complied, following her two seniors.

 

-

 

For the third time since she started calling the doe-eyed, Seohyun couldn't able to reached her phone. It always says the number is unavailable. It's as if it doesn't exist.

 

"Why?" Mrs. Seo noticed that her daughter's face is unpleasant when she returned with their milkshake.

 

"Yoona, she's not answering." Seohyun sighs as she took the milkshake and took a sip at it with a sad pout. "I thought she said she will come back after her appointment."

 

"She doesn't know we are going to New York, does she?"

 

"Nope."

 

"Then she probably wouldn't make it. Her Aunt misses her you should give that to her." Mrs. Seo said and give her daughter a gentle pat on her shoulder. "No worries, she'll contact you first. I'm sure of that."

 

"It seems." Seohyun is smiled a little. She's disappointed with Yoona but she realizes she has taken advantage of her for a week. She thinks that's enough and just hope she's doing fine at the moment. They're friends still so it's okay to think about her.

 

"There you go guys." Mr. Parker returned with a big smile on his face. His eyes were on Seohyun as he handed a gift for her. "I hope you like this."

 

"Whoa, you really bought it?" Mrs. Seo can't believe her eyes. Her husband mentioned to him last night that he will gift her daughter a phone.

 

Seohyun didn't also expect the gift. "No. I-I... can't accept this." But she couldn't take it. "This is too... expensive." Even though she has dreamed of having a new phone, she doesn’t want to be like those brat girls in their school that will receive everything what they ask for.

 

Mr. Parker took her hand and force her to take it. "Take it or I will be upset." He playfully said. "It's my Christmas Present and I don't ask anything in return." he is however sincere with his words.

 

"Honey, isn't it your favorite brand of phone? It will really help you with your studies too." Mrs. Seo help her husband persuading her daughter.

 

Seohyun couldn't answer right away as she took time to think about it. But she got no choice but to accept it. She quickly bowed so big. "Thank you so much, Mr. Parker." And told him gratefully.

 

"Just call me Appa from now on." Mr. Parker only ask for one thing.

 

Seohyun knew it will happen that she smiled back. "I hope you give me some time." But ask for his patience which he doesn't mind at all.

 

Mrs. Seo is proudly smiling at her daughter. She knows she will accept him one day.

 

 

***

 

 

New Year's Eve and everyone in New York are all excited for the New Year Countdown. Some just wanted to celebrate on their hotel rooms while others don’t mind the cold weather and went to time square just hours away from the countdown. The Parker/Seo Family are one of them as they made a reserve to a family hotel room that's just across the drop ball event later.

 

Seohyun, who had been having fun these past days because Mr. Parker wouldn't miss a day and spend the day with her and her mom, suddenly is feeling lonely in her room because she misses Yoona. She has yet to grant her promise which is making her upset. Not to mention, not even returning her calls. Jungkook however would call her and that keeps her company but hearing Yoona's voice again is somehow different. She got too attached with her, wasn't she?

 

"Ugh, whatever." She brushed off the thoughts of missing her and finally get out of bed, change her clothes and make sure to put scarf on her neck and wear gloves before heading out.

 

"Where are you going?" Mrs. Seo found her daughter from the door and curiously asked. She and her husband are enjoying the view outside while having some wine.

 

"Just around the time square." Seohyun replied as she showed her new DSLR camera. "I haven't used this."

 

"Alone? Do you want us to join you?" Mrs. Seo got concerned.

 

"No. I'm fine. I'll be back before supper." Seohyun replied and bowed her head as she looked at her step-father. She didn't wait for her mom's response as she went out and put on her baseball cap as she headed to the elevator.

 

It didn't take a minute and the elevator arrived. There was a couple inside that she doesn't mind and entered. But the moment the door closes, they suddenly started making out next to her. Her eyes couldn't believe what's happening that she has to move to the side and pretend she couldn't see them in the corner of her left eye.

 

'How can they do this in public?' Even though she knows it's normal in the country she's in, she couldn't understand they don't practice privacy. It's as if they're alone in the world.

 

'Ugh, come on.' Her heart is beating fast as she got impatient. Their room is in six floors. She should arrive at the first floor in no time. But it's taking quite long for unknown reasons. She just wants to leave the elevator right away because it's uncomfortable. Not to mention, for her innocent eyes.

 

After a while, the elevator stopped at the third floor and another couple entered. She wished they wouldn't do anything like what the two did earlier. However, her wishes did not come true when the new couple who entered makes out replacing the other couple.

 

She seriously wanted to just scold them but they'll definitely just laugh at her.

 

Once she arrived at the first floor, she hurriedly left and shake her head in attempt to forget what she saw. She literally let out a huge exhale the moment she's standing outside the hotel.

 

With a new found world to see, she began to walk in the side of the street, joining the others as she strolls with big smiles on her face.

 

Click.

 

Click.

 

Click.

 

She uses her new camera expertly every time there's an interesting view to capture, especially kids and skyscraper. The camera is another present but this time from her mother who wishes her to take care of it.

 

New York is crowded but none are lonely. Everyone is with someone they love. She's loving what she's seeing around.

 

Suddenly her phone rings under her pocket. She has to stop taking pictures and took it out from her coat. Her eyes widened a little and heart skipped a beat when Yoona's contact ID flashes on the screen. Just as she pressed the answer button and place it against her right ear, someone bumped behind her and she dropped her phone. She was about to picked it up when a person who passes by at her unconsciously kicked it. "Aish!" She followed it and tried to pick it up but another person accidentally kicked it until the people are like playing soccer that every time, she will pick it someone will kick it that it will move to another person and kick it farther away from her.

 

Until the phone stopped from being kicked, she realized how far she has gone far. Her breathing is heavy and despite the cold weather, she's sweating. All the chasing leads to an open space and she is glad it ended.

 

Bending over to picked it up, someone beats her to do it. She looked up just to see Yuri with a smirk on her face as she passes the phone to her.

 

"It seems someone saved you from that fall?" Yuri sarcastically speaks. "Or was it you who save yourself?"

 

Seohyun gulped nervously. But she instinctively runs away before her aunt will eve lay a finger on her. She keeps bumping to people that's getting in the way but she keeps running. She would glance behind her to make sure she's not chasing her but much to her surprised, she is. Her heart beats like hell as got frightened but she keeps her pace away from her.

 

Just as she was about to cross the road one arm took her by arm waist and she almost scream on top of her lungs if she didn't recognize her mother right away. She hides them immediately behind a store's standee.

 

"Omma." Seohyun couldn't help and hug her mother tightly. She cried in her shoulders.

 

"Shshshsh... It's fine now." Mrs. Seo hush her but comforted her daughter by rubbing her back. She followed her daughter since she left and quickly save her before Yuri could catch up on her.

 

She peeked behind the standee and saw Yuri stomping her feet in frustrations. Her shadow that shows her wings confirmed her suspicious of being a dark angel. Ever since she married a human, dark angels are on hunt of her daughter after successfully killing her first husband. She needs to protect her daughter from now on.

 

After a while, Yuri walked away somewhere. It was Mrs. Seo's cue to pull back from the hug and wipe away all the tears in her daughter's cheeks. "You're safe. She won't hurt you from now on." She whispers as she hugs her daughter back. "Let's go back to the hotel." She keeps rubbing her back in comfort and slowly but surely, she calms down.

 

Seohyun pulled back and took her mother's hand, holding it tight as they returned to their hotel room.

 

 

***

 

 

Yoona thought she can easily contact the younger girl after arriving in New York. But it turned out not. She received her message few days ago informing her that she's in New York and she should return her calls. It was by chance or was it intended that her place to monitor is New York too? She's just a lucky fallen angel, isn't she?

 

She held a cab and ask the driver to bring her to the hotel she was booked. While on the way, she tried her luck again in reaching her but much to her surprised, it's not available anymore. "Did she turn the phone off?" She wonders because it's not ringing anymore unlike earlier. She even answered it but only for a second.

 

Looking out the window, she could see the snow is falling from the sky again. "I hope she's in a warm place." mumbles her as she tried to call her number again and again until she reached the hotel. Her room is in six floor and it's crowded on the elevator that she barely could move from the corner and breath. It ended after two minutes however and she literally exhaled so deep and began to look for her room.

 

"Aish, it's just New Year. Why are people so fond of this?" She doesn't have any idea.

 

As soon as she entered her room, she almost immediately jumped to the bed and sighs. Heck, she took her phone out again and called her number. It's still unavailable. "When will she open her phone? Wait, I should send her a message." Sitting up, she holds her phone in both hands and open the message from the younger girl. She's not that good yet but she finally knows how to type the words with the keyboard and it's giving joy to her.

 

It took at least two minutes when she finally sent her message:

 

Seohyun-ah, It's me. I'm sorry if it took me few days to return your message.

But I just want you to know I'm near. Yes, I'm in New York!

I hope you can read this message. I'll be waiting for your response.

Cutie Yoongie here :)

 

"Aigoo." Dropping on the bed again on her back, she stared at the ceiling with a cute pout. 'Eleven tonight, I need to go and see the entire New York. Seohyun must be just near. I hope I'll find her amongst the crowd.'

 

Taking a look on her phone screen again, she didn't see any response. Her sulky face can be seen on reflection and she rolled her eyes.

 

Meanwhile, Seohyun who is just next door is having a hot Choco while watching the outside. She can't still believe what happened but she now understands why Yuri is doing it to her.

 

"Yuri had been against to my engagement with her brother because she thinks all the money will go to you. She wanted share too from her brother's company."

 

"We already reported her to the police. So, she's being trace by now."

 

"Don't be afraid. You're safe here. She will not come near you anymore."

 

Sighing, she took another sip of her drink just to remind herself about Yoona because of the bracelet on her left wrist. She hurriedly put the mug down and went to check her phone on top of the bed. She turned it on and let out a huge relief of sigh when it still opens. Just the screen that got a lot of scratches. It looked like she will finally use her new phone after what happened.

 

Her message immediately showed up once it completely loaded. And her heart just lit up after reading her message. She hastily pressed the call button and hopes she will answer right away. But much to her dismay, the deer is not answering. It's ringing but the latter seems not hearing her phone. "Seriously?" She groaned with the lack of luck.

 

Unknown to her, Yoona who is just next door is showering, reasons why the deer is not answering. And the phone was on silent mode.

 

"Aish, what's up with her? Just when she's in New York too. Or she's just lying to me? She's not really in New York, was she? I can't believe her." She rambles but tried to contact her again. "Can't she pick up?!" She furiously shouted and dropped her phone on the bed. She decided to turn off her phone and took her sim card out then went to get her new phone from her backpack. She is quite excited to finally use a new phone.

 

"Gosh, this is so expensive. Thank you so much, Mr. Parker." She said to her phone while it's opening. Her hands are quietly shaking as she looked at her device. "I'll take care of this, I promise."

 

Once it loaded, she immediately went on her contacts but only few was there. She smacks her forehead for storing Yoona's number on her old phone. She has to open it again and copy her number to her new one.

 

"Seohyun-ah, we'll head out first. We'll be back before supper. Don't leave the room, okay? We'll have dinner together later."

 

"Yes, Omma!" She shouted back and she heard the door opens and close soon.

 

Trying her luck again, she's still unlucky from reaching the doe-eyed that caused her to curse her name and return to where she was earlier, not missing to flick the bracelet. "I hate you." and mumble before sipping her drink.

 

Just then, her phone rings but it wasn't her, it's Jun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter