Run Away 04: Gift

YoonHyun Story 3
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

04 | Gift

 

 

***

 

 

"I... I'm-I'm not in danger. I just need someone that can help me."

 

[Tell me where's your location then. I'll be there.]

 

"Chincha? Uh, It's... I'll just sent you the address. I have no idea yet what's the address of this. Please call me when you arrive."

 

[I'm on my way.] With that, the call ended. Seohyun quickly got out her bedroom and asked the maid about the address. She texted her the location and returned to her room with a huge relief. "I'm not leaving the room not before my friend arrives." Not missing to tell the maid. She glances to the wall clock and pout her lips. There will only be a couple of minutes before midnight but it feels like dawn already with the time difference she got used to. She's having a jetlag and at the same time, she's starving. "Wait, why are they having dinner on midnight?" Then she realized something.

 

She sits up and looked outside again but her mother was no longer there. 'Yeah, garden. No, I can't come there. Yoona-ssi should be here first.' She thought and got startle when she heard a sudden knock.

 

"Aren't you joining us?" It's Yuri. "Yah, they aren't going to start if you're not there." Who really sound unfriendly? She sounds like she doesn't even like her presence in the mansion.

 

"I'm waiting for a friend. Please be patience, she's on the way." She shouted back. "I can't go there without her." And additionally says.

 

"Ugh, such a princess attitude." Yuri said and kick the door before leaving.

 

'Where is she? I thought she's on the way?' Seohyun pouted worriedly as she looked at the screen of her phone and the call log. "She should be here in ten minutes." she let out a huge yawn and lied back again on her bed. As her eyes started to close on its own, she opens it wide and blink a couple of times to stay awake. Heck, her eyes would close again and she has to do the same thing over and over again until she heard her phone rings. She just quickly got up and answered the doe-eyed. "Hey, are you outside?"

 

[Yep.] That's all that she needed. She runs outside and passes all the maids until she got out of the mansion. Despite the cold weather, she sprinted all the way to the gate. "Just on time." She said, breathlessly while smiling. She opens the gate and give a way for her. "You can help me translate my language to my mother's fiancé, can you?"

 

Yoona realized she was too worried earlier that it didn't comes to her mind about it. "Trans... late? What do you-you mean, Seohyun?"

 

"I told you on the phone! My mom's fiancee is an American and I don't think she speaks my language." Seohyun is in disbelief. She didn't think the deer will be puzzled about the reason.

 

"Yes but... I think I didn't hear about it. I'm sorry." Yoona smiled sheepishly while rubbing the back of her neck. "But you're fine, right?" She steps forward and check on her body.

 

"I am." Seohyun yank the deer's hands as she glared and pout her lips towards the deer. "I hate you." And she hit her shoulder.

 

"Seohyun? Is that your friend?" Suddenly, Mrs. Seo's voice was heard from behind.

 

Yoona and the younger girl's attention immediately turned to the source of the voice. But Seohyun moved closer to her and held her arm.

 

"She's my girlfriend."

 

"What?" Both Mrs. Seo and Yoona's eyes are widened towards her.

 

Seohyun looked back at the deer and sweetly smiled. "I'm sorry Yoongie, I have to reveal that sudden." And she pinched her cheeks. "Please forgive me. Hmm?" Her arms then encircled around her waist. "We've been dating for 6 months now, Omma. She's Im Yoona."

 

Yoona's heart skipped a beat and she smiled back to Mrs. Seo who is still speechless and shock. She herself couldn't say a word. She doesn't know what's happening but she doesn't want Seohyun to be embarrassed as well.

 

A couple of seconds of silence between them, Mrs. Seo break her silence. "Okay. N-no wonder you don't want to go to the garden. You want to... Introduce Miss Im. Miss-"

 

"Oh no, Just Yoona Ma'am." Yoona finally find the words to say as she extended her hand.

 

"Pleasure to meet you, Yoona." Mrs. Seo smiled back and shook hands with the doe-eyed. It's still unbelievable for her that her seventeen years old daughter has a girlfriend. She thought she's busy with her swimming career to even have a crush on their school. But it's been years since she last saw her in person. There are stuffs that can't be shared. "Um, everyone's waiting. Come on." She ushered them to follow her inside.

 

Seohyun quickly let go of the doe-eyed but stayed close with her as they follow her mother quietly. She doesn't know what took her to do that but she doesn't feel like it's wrong. Yoona for sure knows her intention is not yo harm. And it's just for the night.

 

"Hey." Yoona wanted to clear something that held the younger girl's hand to stop them from going. "What you-"

 

"Let's pretend. Just for tonight, please? I promise, I will this up to you next time. I just need someone right now besides them." Seohyun explained sincerely. "Don't get me wrong but-"

 

"I understand." Yoona finally understood. "I'll help you then." And she decided to be her 'girlfriend' for the night.

 

Seohyun couldn't hold back and she throw her arms around her neck. "Thank you, Yoona." And whisper gratefully.

 

For the second time, Yoona's heart skipped a beat and she felt confused about it. But she doesn't mind as she gently pushed her over and smile. "Let's go. It's cold outside."

 

"Yeah." Without thinking twice, Seohyun hook her arm with the deer and they followed her mother to the garden.

 

Yoona is not aware as her cheeks are red as tomato due to their closeness. But it soon disappears when she let go of her as they entered the garden that was only inside the mansion. It was only called garden because there are flowers and plants around and there's a fireplace which is making it warm and cozy inside.

 

"Oh, there you go." Mr. Parker, Mrs. Seo's fiancé is six feet tall that the two girls had to looked up to meet him. He smiled and the two as he introduced himself. "I'm John Parker, it's pleasure to meet you, Joohyun." He extended his hand and she bowed rather than taking it. He chuckled and bowed back.

 

"It's nice to meet you." Seohyun said in a low voice. Her heart beat is racing. She looked scarier in person than on photo.

 

"I'm Yoona." Yoona introduced herself and took his hand rather, flashing a friendly smile.

 

"Oh, nice to meet you too. You're her friend?" Mr. Parker asked but with a teasing smile.

 

"Yes."

 

"She's her girlfriend." Mrs. Seo corrected the doe-eyed as she revealed it herself to her fiancé.

 

"Wow, Congratulations you two." Mr. Parker smiled even wider after hearing it. "How long are you guys had been dating?"

 

"Ugh, stop it. Let's just eat now. I still have stuffs to do." Yuri's voice was heard from her seat which cause everyone turn their heads on her. "What?"

 

Mrs. Seo and her fiancé both rolled their eyes as they complied and ushers the two young girls to take their seats.

 

"Who is that?" Yoona can't help and whisper to Seohyun, sitting next to her. Her eyes are on the person who sounded rude.

 

"My Aunt. Yuri." Seohyun whispers back. "Just don't mind her." She places her table napkin on her lap and the latter smiled. She smiled briefly back before she began enjoying her meal. She had been starving and it's time to feast. She doesn't know why but she felt comfortable now that Yoona is with her.

 

The doe-eyed angel on the other hand doesn't mind what's the meal and wanted to taste what's before her eyes.

 

Mrs. Seo couldn't help but to glance to her daughter from time to time on their dinner. She missed her and she hopes she can have a bond with her within the week before their wedding next week.

 

 

***

 

 

After the dinner, there was few chitchats here and there but it didn't interest Seohyun. She excused herself with Yoona to the bedroom, telling them that she's having a jet lag and needs a rest as a reason.

 

"Can you stay for a while?" Seohyun knows it's too much to ask but she doesn't want to feel lonely to a house that's not a home for her. "Please?" She cutely pouts her lips and took her hands in beg.

 

"Sure. I don't think I will be in peace if I leave without seeing you smile." Yoona noticed since the dinner, the younger girl is not happy to see her mom not to mention to see her fiancé. She gives her hands a gentle squeeze and pat them before letting go of her.

 

Seohyun briefly smiled. She proceeds to take a seat on the sofa and open the huge tv.

 

"You don't look happy since earlier." Yoona couldn't missed the chance and wanted to know the reason. She took the empty space next to her on the sofa.

 

"I'm just tired." Mumbles Seohyun without unlocking her gazes to the tv screen.

 

'She's sad. I can feel it.' Yoona thought as she decided not to push the question anymore and just stay by her side just like she asks her. She felt sad for her too for unknown reasons.

 

They are quiet for a couple of minutes, just watching an old movie from an American channel without making reactions. Both are enjoying it on their own until there was a scene of a father and a kid, it triggers something on Seohyun and she quickly change the channel.

 

"Wae?" Yoona unconsciously broke their silence.

 

Seohyun couldn't hold it any longer. She turned off the tv and faces the deer. "I'm really sad right now." Her voice is shaking and her eyes are starting to show tears. "I know this will happen but I still took the invitation from her. But I didn't know it will only get worse. It will only make me miss my father... a lot."

 

Yoona scooted closer and just as her tears drops, she caught them and wipes them away. "What happened to him?" She got curious and asks her softly.

 

"You have parents, too right?" Seohyun ask as she wipes the other tears away. She felt shy and embarrassed that she's weak in front of someone she barely knows. But it's unbelievable that she felt comfortable with her.

 

"Yes." Yoona replied, thinking of Taeyeon. She doesn't know if she even has one. She's an angel and her family is them.

 

Seohyun smiled bitterly as she continues, "Like your family, we were once a happy as well. Mom and Dad loves me so much and they love each other dearly as well. There wasn't a day where we don't feel unhappy. They always find time for me like we were inseparable. It was really great until something happened... " She pause as she got hesitant to share her story but the way Yoona is comforting her by holding her hand and is telling her that it's fine to share it, she slowly convinced herself to continue. "It was the day of my first field trip. I was 9 years old."

 

Flashback...

 

Little Seohyun went downstairs in a hurry, excited to see her parent’s downstairs. She's all ready for the day and can feel it will be the greatest day of her life. But as soon as she reached the dining area, where the noises come from, she noticed immediately that her mother is nowhere to be found but her father is seen setting the lunch boxes while singing their favorite song.

 

"Oh honey, you're here. Go eat your breakfast. We'll leave as soon as you finished." Mr. Seo told his cute daughter with a bright smile on his face.

 

Seohyun took her seat and asked, "Where's Omma?" With her crossing arms on her chest.

 

"Yeah, that's - She left before you come down. You know why?" Mr. Seo smiled in hint to something.

 

"Why?" Seohyun pouted.

 

"She is buying you a gift. She will follow us later."

 

The gloomy expression from little Seohyun changes to bright when she heard it. "Chincha? What kind of gift? It's not my birthday, right?"

 

"I know but she wanted to gift you something for this day to celebrate this day as your first field trip. Aigoo, Jeju Island is already waiting. Come on, eat up." Mr. Seo ushered his daughter and he continue to set all their lunch boxes. Most of the food are his daughter's favorites. He can't help and kiss her forehead. "I'll change first. If you don't finish your breakfast once I'm back, I will flick your forehead." he warned and he only gets a giggle from her. "Aigoo." He ruffles her hair a little before leaving him.

 

Seohyun took her time enjoying her meal while humming a song. She didn't take her father's warning in heart. She knows her father will take long to change either way, there's nothing to waste for time.

 

Moments later, her father returned and she's on the sofa, watching some cartoons, waiting for him.

 

"You're taking time again, Appa." Seohyun told her father in a playful way, who is only wearing a polo shirt and short.

 

"I know, I know. But it's hard to choose what I'm going to wear when we forgot to do our laundry." Mr. Seo chuckled and proceed to the kitchen to put the lunch boxes on their bag. "Let's go!"

 

Not long after, they're on the road, he's driving and his daughter is on the back seat.

 

"The wheels on the bus go round and round. Round and round. Round and round." Seohyun singing her favorite song on top of her lungs along with the radio.

 

"The wipers on the bus go Swish, swish, swish/ Swish, swish, swish." Soon after, Mr. Seo joined his daughter. "The horn on the bus goes Beep, beep, beep. Beep, beep, beep... "

 

-

 

It was four hours and thirty minutes by ferry to Jeju Island, but the ride was great since she played with her classmates and teachers. It feels like a minute only to arrive in Jeju Island.

 

"Appa, can I call Omma?" While they're on the way to the camp site, it crosses to her mind that her mother hasn't call them.

 

"Yeah, sure honey. My phone is on my backpack." Mr. Seo just doesn't mind and ask her to do it herself while he's focus on his drive.

 

Seohyun got the phone easily and she pressed the speed dial 1 immediately, which she knows her mom. It rings for a couple of seconds before her mother answered.

 

[I'm sorry It's taking time. But I'm on the way, honey.] Mrs. Seo answered oblivious who is on the next line. [Have you guys arrived?]

 

"Omma, it's Seohyun." She answered. "Why are you late?" but she wanted to know the reason why her mother is taking some time. It's just a gift for her, she thinks that's something easy to get.

 

[Omo, Joohyun. I'm... I'm sorry. I didn't know the mall is on sale, there are a lot of people out here so early. It's hard to choose which to get when every stuff is sold within a minute. I'm sorry honey. But I'm on the way to the airport now. So, it will only take minutes for me to get there. Can you wait for Omma?]

 

"Of course. Please take care."

 

[Awww, that's too sweet for you. Thank you, Honey. I'll be there before you know it. I love you.]

 

"I love you too Omma." Seohyun sweetly replied and she put the phone back to the backpack, lookign back to her father who is smiling from ear to ear while he's staring at her through the mirror. She is smiling back.

 

End of Flashback...

 

"I thought Omma will really come. But she never did. Appa however did not make me feel sad. He made sure I will always be happy while on the field trip and camp with my classmates. We enjoyed it, we were too happy... for three days in Jeju... before we returned to Seoul... "

 

Flashback...

 

"Why is the road so dark, appa?" Seohyun noticed that the road to their home is dark. She barely can see the posts' lights. Thanks to the car's lights, her father can still able to drive them back home.

 

"There's probably a power failure. Don't leave your seat." Mr. Seo told his daughter, as he can see she's scared.

 

"There's no signal as well. I can't contact, Omma." Seohyun tried to contact her mother but it's not working. She got scarier each second passes. She left her seat and took the passenger's seat.

 

"Aigoo, you're not allowed-"

 

"I'm scared. I feel like we're in a ghost town. It's too quiet." Seohyun interrupted her father, trembling in fear. She doesn't like dark since then. She always thought of the ghost she saw from a movie.

 

Mr. Seo slowed down and let go of the wheel as he buckles his daughter's seat belt. "Here, hold me." And he offered his hand as he returned to the road. "The power will probably return later when we arrived."

 

Seohyun's fear slowly disappears. She however couldn't let go of her father's hand, while they're taking the road so slow.

 

Just as the power returns and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter