Runaway 01: Last Mission

YoonHyun Story 3
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

01 | Last Mission

 

***

 


Click.

Click.

Click.

 

And more clicks can be heard by someone who is fond with cameras. She had been doing it since she arrived at their school. Too early for it but it's always her hobby to take pictures. But unlike the other photographers, she loves capturing students doing something bad and post it on their school's bulletin board.

 

Click.

Click.

Click.

 

She can't help and shake her head from time to time. Most students are repeaters of their wrong doings. They're students that are like by the detention. They these smokers, gamblers, bullies and disrespectful students to teachers. An hour later, the bell rings and she hurriedly put her camera on her backpack and left the roof top. Using the stairs, she runs like a real athlete while making sure she won't fall. Their school has seven floors and her first class is on the fourth floor. Beads of sweats and breathing heavily, she arrived at her first class quite tired but she doesn't mind and took her seat, which is at the last row and next to the window. The most favorite spot by students. But since she's not that smart, the teacher decided to put her where her classmates are envied.

 

"Good morning." Her classmates began to arrive, greetings their morning routine. She would greet back brightly but none of them is really close with her. Not until Jungkook, her best friend and also opponent on the sport she loves, arrived. They automatically did their favorite five times of hi-5.

 

"What's up?" Jungkook as her as he took his seat which is next to his best friend. "Did you catch so many today, Seo JooHyun?" His smirk knows something.

 

"I think I should ask you back." She chuckled. "You sent me a message you watched a baseball match last night with your Dad. How was it?” she grinned teasingly.

 

Jungkook laugh and then turned serious. “You are jealous?” teasing her back. “Just tell me you like me more than a friend.” She added smugly.

 

Seohyun grabs her book and hit her on his back. “Shut the up.” She playfully said as she chuckles. “Did you even study for our exam today?”

 

“Of course, I did, but only few. I have a long night with Dad.”

 

“It’s the last exam before winter break.” Seohyun reminded.

 

“Yah, you’re not the only smart here.” Jungkook mock as he laughs. “Stop telling me that.” He took the book from the floor and throw it towards her. By reflexed, she caught it on time. Seohyun is not a ninja for nothing.

 

“Where are you going for vacation?” ask Seohyun casually as she opened her book to review again.

 

“Just at home, wae?”

 

“My Mom called me three days ago.”

 

Jungkook’s head literally turned in an instant towards his best friend. “She did?” His eyes widening. “After months of not answering your calls? What did she tell you?”

 

“She booked a ticket.”

 

“No, way! Shut up!”

 

Seohyun laughs and rolled her eyes. “I’m serious, Kim Jungkook. She really did. Why would I share this if she didn’t?”

 

“So, you’re going for winter break in L.A.?” Jungkook can guess it. He knows his best friend too well.

 

Sighing, Seohyun nodded to confirm. “But it wasn’t that simple.”

 

“Eh?”

 

“She’s getting married this Christmas.”

 

Jungkook didn’t expect it. “Holy. . She really is—”

 

“She deserves it though. I mean, it’s been a decade since Dad left. But I don’t know what will I expect later.” Seohyun pout her lips. “If only I can bring you with me.”

 

Jungkook smiled as he flutters to hear it from his best friend. He reached for her head and gently rubbed it. “No worries. You can call me whenever you want. You know I’ll be always here to listen.” He smiles sweetly and pinch her nose too hard that she grabs it and bit on his finger. “AH!” He literally yelped in pain. “How could-“

 

“Our teacher is here.” Seohyun interrupted as she immediately composed herself.

 

Jungkook did the same but he never seen anyone entering their room. He slowly travels his eyes to his best friend and glare at her. the latter laugh out so hard. He was fooled, once again.

 

But just a moment later, their teacher arrived and announced that their exam will be long. Everyone groans and complained.

 

-

 

Both Seohyun and her best friend didn’t expect it was that long that they were the two only students that left the room, finishing the exam. But they successfully finished it and literally couldn’t wait to arrive at the cafeteria to fill their hungry stomach they get in result of the long and difficult exam. It was easy for the others who are smart enough but them, even though they reviewed, it’s really hard to remember everything.

 

“I didn’t finish it to be honest.” Jungkook confessed while he’s enjoying his meal across his best friend, who is also enjoying the same food as him.

 

“Neither Me.” Seohyun confessed back and the brown-haired boy looked at her in disbelief. “Yah, you can’t blame me. My stomach is already growling and it’s super hard. Aish, I wish I am smart like… “ she couldn’t continue her words when someone familiar is slowly approaching their table. Her lips are apart as this person is carrying a plate of cake.

 

“For you, Joohyun. I hope you like it like the way I like you.” Seulgi, the nerd junior student from second C placed the plate on their table and smile shyly at her before she bowed and quickly sprinted back to their table.

 

Jungkook almost immediately teases his best friend as he pokes her under the table using his shoe and to her feet. “Why don’t you just date her already?” He reminded her. “It’s been three years since she had been showing she likes you.”

 

Seohyun is still speechless as she looked at the cake. Indeed, she had been receiving love confessions from this schoolmate of them but she never really thought it would last this long. She could only smile to Seulgi from her table with her friends and wave a little to return the kindness she showed.

 

“You’re not going to eat it?” Jungkook ask as he ready himself to have a bite on the cake.

 

“How many times did she give me a cake?” She asked.

 

“Um… “ Jungkook started to count with his fingers. “I couldn’t count.” But he got lost. It’s not only cake though, there are chocolates, flowers, burger, salad, pasta, anything that can be found in their cafeteria.

 

“Aish, and none of these have I returned the favor.” Seohyun sighs as she glances to Seulgi.

 

“Because you are not interested with her? or you just want me to eat this again? Just tell me.” Jungkook grinned just to earn a kick under the table. “Yah!”

 

“Let’s share this this time.” Seohyun sheepishly smiled and took her fork as she put the plate at the center of the table. Jungkook didn’t waste time and dig on it. She giggles and hit his head with the fork lightly.

 

Seulgi who keeps staring on her crush couldn’t believe she’s sharing it with his best friend. She felt disappointed but to see her smile and enjoy the cake she gave is enough for her. Seohyun is something not that smart unlike her but she loves her passion on swimming. She loves how dedication she is also on her studies in order to have a pass grade. She just loves her ever since freshmen and she will not stop showing her love for her.

 


***

 


A sad pout once again appeared in Seohyun’s face while leaning into the table after she finished their second batch of exams over the day. Even though it felt relieved she has finished it all, she knows herself most of her exams are incorrect and just guesses in order to finish.

 

“Yah, cheer up Seo Joohyun. We’re going to pass don’t worry.” Jungkook cheered up on her as he pat her back and leave the room first.

 

Seohyun let out a heavy sigh as she composed herself and looked out of the window just to see students living happily. “My mom’s going to beat me to this again.” She could already predict it once she learned she didn’t do well on their last exams before the winter break.

 

Sighing again, she began to gather her things and stood up, leaving their classroom casually and follow her best friend to her locker. Their classmates were there, talking about their exams which she couldn’t even bother to share her thoughts about her answers. She just simply put her other books on the locker and changed her shoes to sneaker. She also took her swimming suit, knowing her schedule will be practice with her coach. There’s going to be a competition against other school after the winter break, she and the other swimmer have signed a memo to practice with their speed.

 

“Joohyun, I’m watching from the bleacher.” Jungkook told his best friend, who is standing next to her. “I’ll just tell our coach to delay the practice.” He smiled brightly. Like her, he is also a swimmer, reasons why they really could understand each other.

 

“You have a punishment if you are late!” Shouted Seohyun while watching her best friend leaving. He waves his arm in the air while not stopping on his tracks. “Tsk.” She close her locker and proceed to the swimming team’s locker room.

 


***

 


Five minutes before the practice starts, Jungkook arrived and settle down at the bleacher. He never missed to carry a videocam for him to record their practice. He heard the fastest swimmer today will have a reward and he’s excited to see it if his smart best friend can win it. Last week, she finished second. There’s only a second difference form the first place though so it’s possible she can take the crown today. Especially after their exams, he’s confident she will got it.

 

“HELL YEAH!!! SEO JOOHYUUUUUUN!!!”

 

“GO SEOHYUN! GO GO SEO JOOHYUUUUN!!!”

 

“SEO JOOHYUN SARANGHAEEEE!!!!”

 

Just as his best friend come out together with the others, a group of boys automatically started cheering on top of their lungs. They’re Suho, Kai and Junghyun, all junior students from section B. They started fanboying over his best friend since she won a national competition two years ago that put their school in history. That then, a lot of kids are taking their exams to enter their school to be trained by their Sports Department.

 

Shaking his head as he watches those fan boys, Jungkook focus on his best friend with the videocam on his hand. His heart skipped a beat when she looked at the camera, which means he spotted her already while stretching. He averted his gazes away from the camera and wave at her. “Let’s go, Seo Joohyun!” and cheered on her.

 

“SEO JOOHYUN FOR THE WIIIIINNN!!!” Out of a student, a scream from his left was heard which made her turn, just to see Seulgi is also cheering, alone, with a banner she’s holding. She keeps waving it like the fan boys are doing. They have balloons and photos waving.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter