This Time: Family [Final]

YoonHyun Story 3
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

20 | Family

 

***

 

Awkward silence is apparently the atmosphere in the dinner table. Everyone on their seats are respectively their meals while at the same time, thinking of any topic they could come up. But none of them yet has the guts to start a conversation. Not even Mrs. Seo, who had prior plans on how will she handle the dinner. But now that she's in the situation, she is suddenly having a mental block. Probably because Yoona's presence has intimidated her a little.

 

30 minutes have passed no still doesn't want to talk, except for Sky who suddenly squeals because of the spoon that drops on the floor and everyone's attention averted to him, smiling amusingly because of how adorable he is.

 

"Sky, don't play with your spoon." Seohyun reminds her son, picking up the spoon and handed it back. Instead of superman toy, Sky seems to enjoy playing with the spoon tonight while she feeds him.

 

"By the way, If you don't mind me mention... I heard you don't have a job anymore... Right now, Yoong. What happened?" Mr. Seo finally got the guts and he asks the in-law who had been quite.

 

Yoona expected to hear it from either of her wife's parents and did not think of twice as she answers truthfully. "I quit my job as an IT Personnel because I thought of continuing my passion in music. I... Had a job as a vocalist in a bar for 8 months. But things between me and my bandmates got little off when they thought of continuing their other endeavour in life. So yeah, I am jobless at the moment. But just recently, I got accepted to a big IT company. So yeah, I will be working again next month. And this time, I'm sure going to work for so long with them... Because this had been my goal, to have a stable job and give everything my family needs." She smiled, excited and proud of her decision. This isn't about her and Seohyun anymore, it's also about Sky and their family that dreamed of getting them a new house and giving all what they need.

 

"What about your singing? Are you going to stop it?" Mrs. Seo finds the voice and she followed up a question. The answer she heard from Yoona doesn't impressed her at all. The fact that she can be lazy stills a reason for her not to like the woman.

 

"Oh, honestly I wouldn't like to stop that also... But for my family, I have to. So I decided to just compose songs, which is just not a problem. I will just compose and send it to the company that hopefully will choose me for that contest."

 

"Contest? You joined a contest?" Mr. Seo exclaimed. "What kind of contest is that?" As it got him interested.

 

"It's a songwriting contest." Yoona informed in excitement. "If I win the competition, they gonna hire me as their composer. And I plan to take the job as a part time. I mean, I can write whenever I want and they will pay me. If it's a hit, it will triple, Abeoji." she turns to her wife and the latter gives her a proud smile and a playful wink out of a sudden.

 

"Are you sure you can win?"

 

"If I don't win then I still have my job as an IT Specialist. So you don't have to worry..." Yoona just automatically responded to her mother-in-law. "It's actually the highest paid now in Seoul. And once I got enough savings, we can buy our new house, just like I promise back then." she reassures her that everything will be alright now that she's going to work again. And that, there's no need for them to take their daughter with them, because she can definitely provide them everything.

 

Mr. Im has a proud smile appearing on his face while his wife still has frown on her face.

 

"And Omma, I might as well change a school. I am planning to teach higher grader so I can help Yoona with expenses." said Seohyun, although she has mentioned it years ago.

 

Yoona smiled and took her wife's hand, giving it a light squeeze and a rub through her thumb, telling her that she did well as well.

 

"What about your son? What's your plan for Sky, Miss Im?" Mrs. Seo continued her questions, still not convinced.

 

"Of course, I will raise him and teach her like the way my parents do to me."

 

"But they got divorce." Mrs. Seo suddenly mentioned in a chuckle.

 

"Omma." Seohyun is stunned to hear it and sent her warning glares.

 

"Yeah, they do. But that doesn't stop them from providing my needs and teaching me what is wrong and right. They... They're actually the best parents, for me." Yoona said with a proud smile, doesn't want to back down anymore. Years ago, it was Mister Seo, now it's his wife. It's enough for her. They can't continue judging her family anymore just because of it.

 

Mrs. Seo scoffs and put her utensils down. "I'm full."

 

"Wait, Mrs. Seo. Please stay... we came here because we want to settle the things between us, not to offend you or anything. We came here also because we would love to do this again if you allow us. I mean, it's not only me and my wife who would like to see you guys every time there's a chance, Sky here would be happy." she turned to the mentioned little boy, earning his cute smiles, melting her heart and silently, Mr. Seo's too.

 

"And Omma, let's have dinner peacefully. Um, maybe we can continue the conversation later. It's not good to do this in from of the food."

 

"Your daughter is right... honey." Mister Seo said with a small smile. "Come on, we ask for this... it's bad to see you-"

 

"Fine." Mrs. Seo cut her husband midway. "I'm staying." and sighed loud enough. She glances to Yoona and to her daughter. "Let's resume." And put on a friendly smile. Once they complied, she returned to her meal. 'What am I doing? I should be telling my daughter now. Aish.' she shakes her head a little, scolding herself for not bringing what had been in her mind earlier because of what Yoona said and her daughter's stare aren't good. 'Maybe, later.' she thought. 'Or... just forget about it....' she hates it but something is making her want to give Yoona a chance. Something with her words is convincing her to trust her again. And her daughter, that they can be together despite their beginning. 'Aigoo... '

 

"I think I'm changing your mother's mind." Yoona whispers to her wife, who smiled at her and showed a secret thumb up.

 

 

***

 

 

"It was raining hard... I and your father are eating dinner that time in a restaurant and couldn't leave because of it. But something weird happened... that night... A sudden explosion was heard and it created an earthquake. The power was also interrupted. Everyone is screaming because of fear. I wasn't an exemption...

 

... Gladly, I have your father that never left my side while everyone are in chaos. We just stayed in our table, hoping and praying the quake ends. It wasn't that strong so we just thought of staying. The owner of the restaurant are even asking everyone to stay calm and wait for the shake to stop, since it's still raining outside. It might be dangerous if we come out. But some really couldn't stay and left the restaurant.

 

... Only few remains including us. We stayed until the rain calms down. However, since it's too late, we couldn't find a cab. So we decided to just walk. Besides, it will only take an hour and half. And since, we both love walking together, we grabbed the chance." Mrs. Seo said, as she starts to share what happened the night their child came, after her daughter opens up about her real identity.

 

"While we are passing by the rice field already, we are suddenly hearing loud screams..." Mr. Seo continued. "...not a normal scream of an adult but scream of cries coming from an unknown baby. We were scared at first because that time, they were rumours that there are ghosts in the middle of the rice field that will suddenly appear and kidnap people. I thought of just running away but your mother, she thought it's not a ghost, it's a real child. It's quiet a goood timing also because we've been asking for a child ever since we got married for four years. Your mother thought it's their chance to have a child."

 

"We search for the crying baby, despite the night and it's too cold. The moon shining so bright was our way to find the baby in the middle of the field."

 

"One thing that we immediately noticed, the child has glowing hair. Your mother and I hesitated to take the baby, but as she continues to cry and feels like calling us, we decided to finally take her with us. The glowing hair stopped the moment your mother wrap her arms around the baby and her cries also stopped."

 

Mrs. Seo has warming smile to her daughter as she continued her husband's words, "She smiled at us... melting both of our hearts. And from that on... we thought of raising the baby like our own child. And that's you our Joohyun." she caresses her cheeks and felt even prouder to see how far their daughter have come.

 

"Wait, I saw a picture of you and Appa with me in an orphanage... why are we guys there?" Seohyun however is confused in that part.

 

"You saw that picture?" Mr. Seo raise his brows. "We were actually invited to a party and that's in that orphanage. Our family's foundation is active in every orphanage, that's why we were there." and he explained it.

 

"You saw the picture, that means you also saw the adoption papers?" added Seohyun's mother.

 

"Yes, Omma. That's why I thought I was from the orphanage."

 

"No. Those papers are documents to legalize our adoption with you, Joohyun. So if one day, someone finds you from us, we can't give you that easily. But it seems... no one would ever find you. Because we found out... the monk told us that you are Super Human and you are here for a mission."

 

"Mission?" Yoona now realize it. The monk has yet to explain that part.

 

"That - we don't have a idea... But I think I can see it now. I mean, your mission is to be like us... to live like what earth do. And I'm proud seeing it right now, honey." Mr. Seo however believes it's what the monk have meant.

 

"Me too. I feel like I am too old now. Our daughter is right here with us, grown up. It feels like just yesterday when I rock you in my arms, Joohyun..." Mrs. Seo suddenly got emotional and couldn't hold back her tears. "I'm so sorry... I'm so sorry that we were hard on you lately, you don't deserve that... you and Yoona." she added while choking on her own words, as she cried harder.

 

Instinctively, Seohyun got up from her seat and she takes the empty space next to her mother, engulfing her into her comforting and warm embrace. "Omma... " she rubs her back thoroughly. "I love you so much guys... and I owe you for this. I can't thank you and Appa enough for raising me like this. For me also, you guys are the best parents." she whispers, as she smiled to her father, who is smiling at her back. But it wasn't long enough and he joined them to a group hug.

 

Yoona is wearing sweet smiles while she's watching the Seo's and Sky is on her lap, silently watching too. She suddenly heard him saying something but she couldn't get it. Not until he pointed to the Seo.

 

"Come here, Yoona." Mister Seo asks and the deer hesitantly got up with Sky, and joins the group hug.

 

"I know an apology wouldn't be enough but... I'm sorry, Yoona. I'm really sorry for everything." Mrs. Seo told her daughter-in-law, earning a sweet and warming smile, as the latter hugs her as well.

 

"I love your daughter so much. And I will do everything in my power to protect her. She's all my life now... I-I just want you to know." Yoona said with a shy smile, earning chuckles and giggles from everyone.

 

 

***

 

 

"Are you they are going?" Yoona is anxious about Seohyun's parents coming to the contest even though the issues between them are now settled. It's been a month since then and this is the second time they're meeting up with them again, since Seohyun invited them to come and watch the competition.

 

Seohyun flashes a sweet smile. "Don't worry, they are coming." And gives her wife a brief caress on her cheeks.

 

"Sky, what about you baby? Will they be okay? Will they love my song?" Yoona asked the little boy on her wife's arms. The latter shakes his head and grins.

 

"See? Even Sky." Seohyun giggles and kissed the boy's cheeks.

 

"That doesn't seem good." Yoona had a poker face.

 

"The shake of head means a nod for him." Seohyun corrected.

 

"Just when did that happened?"

 

"Just now." Seohyun grinned. "Oh come on, loose it. Everything will be fine... Didn't we just changed their minds?" She reminded her doe-eyed wife. "I'm confident my parents will like it. So you should do the same, my love."

 

"Appa, jaewush." Sky suddenly said.

 

"What?" Yoona sends her son her glares almost immediately and Seohyun laughs out so loud. "Why is this kid keeps on telling me that?!" She couldn't believe Sky had been telling her that since he learned to say it. It just annoys her.

 

"Hahahaha!!! That's because of you too. So stop worrying."

 

"Is worrying a jealous thing now?"

 

"For him, yes. Hahahaha!!!"

 

Yoona rolled her eyes in annoyance.

 

"Noona!!!" The married couple's attention immediately averted to the coming figures towards them.

 

"Unnie, Thanks for coming." Said Yoona as she meets with the Kim family half-way. She took Luhan into her arms and made a hi-5 with him. "How was my nephew?" She asked and Luhan whispered something to her.

 

"Hi Sky. How have you been?" Tiffany greeted the cute little boy in Seohyun's arms but the latter has his eyes set to his Appa and Luhan, whispering each other and giggling together. He has a pout on his face, while watching them. "Oh." She flashes a knowing smile to Seohyun, who mouthed 'jealous' and that made her nodded in understanding.

 

"Looks like you are still waiting for someone?" Taeyeon raise her brows, realizing that the Im-Seo family is outside the theatre.

 

"My parents are coming, Unnie. And Minyoung... I still don't know if she's coming because she said she still has finishing works to do."

 

"And where is Yuri?"

 

"She's inside. She can't greet us anymore since she is one of the organizers of the event." Informed Seohyun without a pause.

 

"I see..."

 

"Luhan, what's going on, honey?" Tiffany decided to break the world of her son and her younger sister, in behalf of a poor little Sky that's sulking.

 

"Nothing, Omma. Yoona Noona and I are just talking about random stuffs." Luhan replied, giggling.

 

"Sky here wants to join, right baby?" Seohyun teassd but Sky shakes his head and hides on his mother's neck.

 

"Awww, so cute." Tiffany's heart melted. "Don't worry Sky, Appa and Luhan are just friends."

 

"Nope. Luhan is my new son." Yoona corrected, teasing Sky even further. "He will be Seohyun Omma's new son too. So Sky, call Luhan Hyung from now on, okay?"

 

Sky startled everyone when he suddenly exploded into a tremendous cry. "Uwaaaaa!!!"

 

"Omo, Appa is just kidding, Sky." Tiffany tried to help her own sister.

 

"What?! Of course not. Luhan is my new baby." But Yoona insisted.

 

"Uwaaaaa!!! Noooo!!!" Sky got mad and sobs harder than ever. "Ommaaaa!!!"

 

"Aish, Stop it, Im Yoona." Seohyun scolded her wife as she keeps on rubbing her son's back while rocking him. But it won't help. "I'll bring him outside." So she excuses herself, not missing to her hit her wife's back.

 

"Babo." Tiffany hits her sister's arm and took Luhan from her. "Luhan is our baby, not yours Yoong!"

 

"You don't want your baby hating you that long, do you? Go and apologize." Taeyeon advised the choding, who bows and animatedly followed her family.

 

Unfortunately for Yoona, she tried all her best to apologise but everything she did was ignored by Sky. The latter would turn away every time he sees her. And it would only keep him crying. All the promises she's also telling her is being ignored.

 

"He won't forgive you unless you bring one of those stuffs you are saying." Seohyun advised her wife, getting stress already with Sky's mood.

 

Yoona think for a moment before she finally decided to leave and buy a bunny cotton candy she has promised to buy for Sky, just to be forgiven. When she returns, she has the biggest smile on earth when she tries to get her attention again with the cute cotton candy. "Come on little big guy, Appa got you cotton candy. Appa only love you so much, don't you know that? So forgive Appa now, baby. She has learned her lesson already. Appa won't tease Sky anymore. But you shouldn't tease me also from now on, okay?"

 

"Look, Sky, it's a bunny. And it's a cotton candy. You like eating cotton candy, aren't you?"

 

Sky slowly moves her head from his mother's neck and eyes slowly lit up upon recognising the fluffy candy. She then slowly smiled when his deer Appa is smiling sweetly towards him, asking him to take it. He couldn't resist and he reached for it, and immediately dives his face to the fluffy cotton candy, biting on it in the process.

 

"Omo, Don't eat that way." Yoona chuckled in amusement.

 

"Just let him. But don't eat too fast." Seohyun giggles. Sky babbles something while smiling so bright.

 

"Aigoo, so cute." Said Yoona, rubbing her son's head gently.

 

"He is just like you."

 

"Eh? He's obviously not."

 

"His naughtiness obviously like you. Not mine."

 

Yoona scoffs. "Look who's talking. You are the one who is naughty here. Remember when I was too exhausted from work? You were so naughty and keep on playing with-hmhp."

 

"Don't you dare continue your words!" Seohyun just hastily covered her wife's mout with her hand before she could mention something wouldn't be appropriate for their son's ears. "And you know that's not what I am talking about! Aish!" She knocks her wife's head, causing for Sky to laugh and Yoona to pouts her while rubbing her own head.

 

"Guys! The competition is about to start!" Taeyeon's can was heard from nearby.

 

"What about my parents? Have they arrived?" Seohyun asked in an instant.

 

"They haven't but we should get inside!" Taeyeon informed loud enough.

 

"After you, Unnie!" Yoona said and grabs her wife's hand gently and intertwined them, as they follow the young police officer.

 

 

***

 

 

Upon returning to her seat, Seohyun can't believe the competition still not starting. But what surprised her more, her parents haven't arrived. "Did you receive any message or a call from my parents, Yoongie?"

 

"Hmm?" Yoona's stirred her attention away from Sky to her wife. "I never hear any ringing or beep. Why? They're not coming?" She took the bottle of water from the latter and help Sky drink the water.

 

"I never received anything as well." Seohyun replied, taking her phone from her shoulder bag and checks if she receives anything that she missed.

 

"I think they're not coming." Taeyeon said, who is sitting behind them.

 

"Did they called you, Unnie?" Yoona turned her head behind and furrows her brows.

 

"Nope. But I can sense it... they will not come."

 

"Don't listen to her, Yoong. She's just being a fortune teller." Tiffany warned her sister. "Luhan and her have been playing like that since yesterday."

 

"No, I'm really sure of it. I can tell they can't because it's Yoona. It's their in-law's event. And I doubt they want to see Yoona winning this competition." Taeyeon insisted, serious with her instincts.

 

"I thought I have mentioned we have changed their mind already?" reminded The doe-eyed girl. "We even have group hugs and they apologize about it. That night change everything, Unnie."

 

"It's just one night, Yoong. And you mentioned this is the second time they're going to meet you again. I don't know but I have some bad feeling that they haven't completely trusted you to their daughter."

 

"Quit it, Unnie. The reason this is the second time we have the chance to hang out with them again is because they're busy with their work... you know they have work they left back in Los Angeles. They just returned last week, honestly." Seohyun further informed the older woman. "And they are excited to meet with us again."

 

"Really? I wasn't told." Taeyeon innocently replied.

 

"See? You're just thinking too much, Unnie. Tsk,tsk." Yoona shakes her head as her sister knocks her wife. But their attention went to Sky when the boy is shaking his head and copies her Appa. Everyone are smiling, as their hearts are melting.

 

Just then, Seohyun receives a message from her father.

 

Appa: I don't think we can come. Please tell your wife that we pray for her success.

 

"Looks like Taeyeon Unnie is right." Seohyun said as she sighs disappointingly.

 

"See? I really can tell the future now." Taeyeon patted her own chest, proud with her own instincts. "So next time, you guys believe me right away."

 

"It's okay." Yoona said and held her wife's hand. "I know they're busy. It's just a song competition anyway. Even my own parents can't come."

 

"Yah, Im Yoona. You know Omma is sick and can't stay up late." Tiffany reminded her younger sister. "If she is healthy, you know she can come."

 

"Well." Yoona just shrugs her shoulders. She wasn't upset at all, she's just used to it. And her mother's health comes first.

 

"I'm a little upset myself because they give me hope that they'll come. And just turn it down at the last minute." Seohyun heaved a sigh suddenly not that excited anymore for the competition.

 

"Hey, cheer up. It's really alright, Baby. We are here, I am here. Aren't I the reason we are here? And I thank you because you are here... You never left my side. I thought this wouldn't even happen. So please stop the grumpy face. There is still another chance... hmm?"

 

Smiling towards her wife, Seohyun realized it is indeed because of Yoona they are all gathered. Not because of her parents that ditch them. It's all because of her wife, not her parents. "I'm sorry." She whispers. "I'm just really hoping big that they could come."

 

"It's okay... Right baby Sky?" Yoona took Sky's hands and clasps them together. The latter smiled and bobs his head up and down, smiling at the same time.

 

-

 

 

"Oh I'm sorry, girl, for causing you much pain
Didn't mean to make you cry, make your efforts all in vain
And I apologize for all the things I've done
You were loving me so much but all I did was let you down...

Oh, I really don't know just what to say
All I know is that I want you to stay..."

 

While a male idol is singing her song, Yoona is singing it to her wife, holding her hand while looking at her in vain. The song is inspired by their tough times. It's a song that she dearly dedicates to her beautiful wife. 

 

"This time, I'm not gonna let you slip away
This time, I'm not gonna let another day go by
Without holding you so tight
Without treating you so right
This time, I'm not gonna let go of your love
This time, I promise you that we'll rise above it all... "

 

Seohyun is in the middle of controlling her emotions as every lyric of the song screams all that Yoona wanted to say to her. Every meaningful word of it is hitting her heart, like bullets of feelings that reminds her how much Yoona have gone through because of their love. But what like they say, through love, you can conquer it al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter