He's not ok.

2:21
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

       ( very long chapter to make up for the long wait )

 

    “ .   .    .   am’ gonna take a shower “ brushing his hair back jae broke the awkward silence that everybody has kept waiting for him to say the first words. Keeping his eyes to the floor it didn't take him much steps to get to the stairs leading up to his corner of the house .

 

 

    The standing four people stayed standing for a second or two as they needed that time to swallow down their fear and anxiety that jae might say something offensive to lay or even kick him out . Sungi but the least concerned out of the four sat down picking his phone he was playing with .  

 

       “ .   .    .  What does am gonna take a shower mean” lay brushed his hair back asking himself if his brother's statement is some type of warning that he should leave before jae get back down or something .

 

       “ .  .  .  Why did I even come here i could have just said no “ he picked his drink that Mrs kim has placed on the small table next to the couch and chugged down his throat.  It wasn’t even an appealing offer when hyeon asked him but for once he has to see it . Whatever is going on between his brother and hyeon he has to witness is by his own eyes. His curiosity added to how much he has missed his brother that he hasn't seen for how long plus hyeon who he would even miss if he doesnt see for a day .  .   .  That's why he's here , standing still trying hard to figure if he should leave or not. At Least he has seen them so may be he should leave.

 

      “ .   .   .  Don’t worry , he won't kick you out “ joon , as though he can read what's going on in lays mind replied giving the younger brother a small smile as he sat down . Replying with an awkward small smile lay sat down slowly.

 

     “ .   .   .  He will probably stay quit , he won't do much that that “ he added along with another smile , even sungi looked up at lay giving him the same smile. More than lay  .     .    .they know with hyeon's presence there is no way Jae would do anything to her beloved lay the most he can do is just stay quit . A little relieved to hear their comments lay sat back a bit relaxed and focusing his thoughts on what he's gonna do once jae comes down. All have totally forgotten hyeon standing by the other corner .    .    .   A bit out of sight for sungi and lay but in a good view for joon .

 


 

     “ .   .    .   You're the one who wanted him  here , all responsibility is on you if something happens “ joon shouted out turning his eyes to the right to get hyeon's attention. His voice that could be heard all the way down the hallway forced hyeon to turned around immediately. Thinking she won't have the voice to scream back as loud hyeon started walking towards the living room , a quick three or so steps she walked in , her eyes immediately landing on lay sitting by the other corner pouring himself a drink and carefully closing the bottle up before he started swirling his glass.

 

    “ .    .    .  He looks thinner .   “ hyeon noted her worried eyes scanning lay up and down. Not able to even glare at her as much as she's staring at him lay just glanced her way once and returned his eyes back to his drink .  .  . He's gonna need to keep the bottle by his side to get through today.

 

  “ .    .     . You two are just unbelievable “ joon  folding his arms with a small smile forced hyeon to turn her attention to the two men on the other side eagerly waiting for her.

 

      “   .    .    .  How can you keep him for two days ? “

 

Choke      cough .     .  Cough  .    .   Hyeon didn't even have a second to react to what sungi said .  .  Lay choking up forced all to turn their eyes his way .

 

   Cough .     .   .  Cough .   .   He coughed out the drink that went in the wrong way as he heard sungi’s question.

 

    “ .   .    .  You ok man “ joon asked , getting a quick response from lay who raised his hand up and gave them a sign as he covers his mouth with another and tries to calm his coughing .  

 

        “ .   .    .  Guys everything is ready so let's go “ the chef walking in the silent room announced . Joon and sungi jumped up first .  .  . Sungi picking the wine bottles to help the chef out since he seem to be her to get the drinks.

 

     “ .    .     .  Me and you let's  go” joon wrapped his arms around hyeon and started walking out . Somehow slowly turning her eyes back hyeon got a glimpse of lay standing up before she lost her vision of the people in the room.

 

 

      

 “ .   .    .  So what are you guys now ?”” joon asked masking his anxiety with a big fake smile. Hyeon pushed his arms off her back as they started taking the stares down. She glanced back to find nobody following them.  They are probably behind .  .  She turned around and went on walking beside joon.They have about a good seven or eight minute walk to get to the tents .  .   .  They could have used the go go carts just like everybody else but joon needs a quick chat with hyeon alone .

 

    “ .    .    .  Jae is a very sensitive person .   .   .  No matter how thick skinned he looks his very easy to break “ joon placing his hands in his pocket and looking up at the vast way waiting for them started talking. A bit taken back to see the land she passed in the car laid out in front of her .  . Hyeon chose to stay silent and listen to what he has to say while taking in the great view And the cool fresh air.

 

 

      “ .     .    .  If you're using him for something or just playing along time to stop now “ somehow his voice has turned sharp and scary that hyeon had to glance his way to make sure if it's still joon.

 

     “ .   .    .   I don't need to tell you all the he has been through or what is hanging on his head “

“ .   .     .  If this is some scheme of yours to break him to get back at the company .    .    .  Its not gonna end well for you too” he gave her a quick look just as his words his eyes were direct .

 

       “ .   .    .   I know you're not doing it to get money or a job and i'm having a hard time to believe that you actually like him so .   .   .  

 

   “ .   .    . That’s enough  “ hyeon interrupted before she started taking quick steps leading the way .  She needs a second or two to taken in all the things he just said and decide if she should be mad and reply or not. She didn't even walk a meter as joons arm landed on hers as he swung her around to face him. Both glaring at each other .  .   .      .    Fiery eyes are talking to themselves as they both prepare their sharp tongues to cry out at each other.  

 

    “ .    .    .  Cut the crap and just say what you wanna say “ hyeon pulled her arms out of his grip.

 

     “ .    .    .   There is no need to insult me

 

 

“ .     .      .  if you don't want me to be with him just say it .   . Don't try to hide it behind reasons that don't exist” one death glare his way then hyeon turned around and started walking .   ,  the small white things she see in the distance is what she's using as the destination . Unlike she has imagined joon didn't pull her around again nor did she hear him say anything .   .  She could only hear the slow footsteps following her from close behind.  

 

     A minute or two of silent walking as hyeon calms down and start realizing that whatever joon says it's always in the best interest of jae.  he is just looking out for jae something if she was in his shoes she would do too.  

 

       “ .    .     .  Just tell him you like jae sincerely “ she started trying to come up with a way to persuade joon. The small  glances  she steals thinking joon wouldn't notice were enough to let her know that joon is probably thinking the same as her , trying to come up with something nice to say.

 

     “ .    .     .  He likes you too much “joon beat her to it .   .  His voice returning back to its tender and warm tone .

 

    “ .   .    .  That's what worries me “ he caught up to hyeon as she stopped walking so he could catch up.

 

    “ .     .    .  Unlike you he can't handle anything anymore “  hyeon missed joon little smirk .  As both have their eyes staring out into the distance they are walking into.

 

         “ .     .    .  I probably might  have encouraged this to think it will be a good stress reliever for him but .     .   “

 

“ .     .     .   Your becoming more than a stress reliever “ his voice seems to be getting slower and lower .   .  The line he has warned jae not to cross joon is sure that it's probably crossed now . Things have gotten serious now . .  . No Way of turning back now. That's what worries joon .   .   .   He knows too much to be gleeful about jae and hyeon getting into a serious relationship . He knows too much about jae .    .     .         .     He knows too much about the family . No matter how much he wants jae to be truly in love with someone and experience the beauty of life at least once .   .  If that person becomes hyeon it's gonna bring more tragedy than happiness. Deep deep in his heart joon parys still .   That its just a momentary fling .  .  That after spending some time together will grow cold .   

 

  “ .     .      . It would have been better to be just an infatuation “ he smirked .   .    .  Hyeon smiled  along.  He is right it would have been better to just have been an infatuation.  

 

    “ .   .     .  Huh” both sighed at the same time .   .   The branches dancing to the wind become the only noise for a couple of minutes as the little white tents in the distant start getting bigger .  The cool breeze was perfect to accompany their thoughts as they walk on silently .

 

 

     “ .    .    .  Do you really like him? “ joon asked .   . He can spot the people in the tents now ; he could even tell who is who.  

 

     “    .     .     .   I love him”  came the confession seconds later shocking both . Stunned beyond belief joon immediately turned his dismayed eyes to his right .  .  His eyes popping out of their socket glaring at hyeon .  She more shocked than him .   .  . Have even stopped breathing .  What her brain has prepared was to say she liked him but what came out was something she hasn't even addressed herself .

 

    “ .    .    . Wh.    .  

 

“ .     .        .  What did you just say?” Joon asked leaning down to catch hyeon's startled and shocked eyes. She didn't even blink .   .   .  She has turned numb.  Joon stepped away as his eyes stayed on hyeon .  .    , her numb and dismayed face answering his question earlier.  The terrified look on her face was enough to let him know how much if an innocent and good hearted person he was accusing of having another intention.

 

 

     “ .     .      .  You haven't told him have you “ join letting the smile he was holding in escape patted hyeon's back before he started walking.   Forget telling jae .   .  She hasn't even prepared herself to admit it to herself .

 

   Leaving her behind to give her the moment she needs to realize what she just said joon went on walking . Smiling like an idiot .    .    .  The girl running around hating on corporation is in love with a billion .    .  He can't stop smiling. It must be life shocking for hyeon to realize.

 

    Just like someone struck by a lightning hyeon stayed frozen .    .    .   Her heart beat becoming rapied by the second as her breathing quickens .

 

     “ .     .     .  Ha Ha” joon glanced back to find her still standing way behind him .    .  But his smile got bigger noticing the tall figure walking to her .

     

         “ .     .      .  Why are you standing here”

 

 

      “ .      .      . HUH” hyeon gasped startled again as she turns around finding jae standing next to her . His presence adding more shock to her already beating heart .  . She had to place her hand on her chest to calm herself down.

 

    “ .    .     .  Are you ok?”

 

“ .   .     .  Am fine “she gave a quick smile and started walking .  .   . She needs to hid her startled face . Her hand tapping her chest to calm its beating .   .  She went on walking as jae started walking behind her .

 

      “ .    .     .  Did you call him here so i would give him a compliment “ placing his hands in his pocket jae started walking along side hyeon .  His eyes directed at lay sitting beside seung , who seem to be busy taking pictures.

 

    “ .    .  .  No” brushing her hair back as she calms down hyeon replied.

 

     “    .     .     . I just didn't want him to eat by himself all the time”

 

      Her reply would have been better if she hadn't said it as jae once again gets a slap on the face.

 

    “ .    .     .  Is this you caring about lay “ jae brushed his hair back turning his eyes to his right to hyeon .   .    .  Her eyes stayed staring at the tents away

 

     “  .     .   Nobody does so why not “ she replied sharpening her gaze at lay quietly sitting in the middle as the people around him go on chatting their big smiles and laughters doesn't seem to amuse him , nor is he captivated by the grand view around him as seung and eun bi . Following hyeon’s eyes jae is not even surprised to find it was lay she was staring at .even jae would admit his brother looks way out of place and uncomfortable being here .   . Playing with his phone . Isolated while surrounded by people smiling and laughing .

 

        “  .    .    . Huh” hyeon sighed turning her eyes to jae for a glance then to the ground when she noticed everybody staring at them .

 

     “ .    .    .   You promised to be nice .  .  “ she whispered as she glances up and finds Jae’s unweathering eyes glaring at lay , who looked up quickly then sent his eyes back to his phone when he noticed his brothers eyes.

 

    “ .    .    .  I promised to give him a compliment “ jae corrected before he quickened his steps .

 

 

    “ .    .    .  Please be nice “ she grabbed his arm forcing him to face her. She has seen how quickly lay looked away from them .  .  Even she is still scared of jaes direct gaze so she could imagine how scared lay must feel seeing them glare at him.  

 

        “ .    .    .  am’ not gonna eat him” jae gave her a quick smile turning around but she tightened her grip on hai arm and turned him around again .

 

     “ .    .    . Jae” her warning but at the same time pleading eyes focused on him. Returning the step he took forward jae stepped back and stood in front of her .  . Leaving no gap between them . The whole chatter and laughter went quiet as everybody zoomed their eyes on the two steps away .   .  ,  even the kids eagerly waiting for what's about to happen . Tom many dramas have prepared everybody to assume what's gonna happen . Joon slowly turned his eyes to lay sitting across from him .   .   .  The look on the little brothers eyes was not something even joon expected to see as he turned around . He expected nger .       Or jealousy .   .  But not the heartbreaking pathetic look of hurt and misery.

 

    “ .    .    . Pull me one more time am gonna kiss you “

 

 

leaning down jae whispered into hyeon ears .   .  . It's not just his words but his voice and breath added to it .  She instantly dropped her hand from his arm. Giving her a small smile jae walked away. Joon more than any of them happy that jae didn't do what everybody was assuming to happen.

 

   “ .   .   .  Huh “ he sighed glancing at lay again to find lays eyes back on his phone but the miserable look lasted for a couple of seconds.

 

     “ .    .     . What is all this ?” jae whispered as he saw down next to joon . The feast laid out on the table on the other tent .  .   . The drinks .   .  . The fancy table setting .   .   .  Even jae could tell this has to be for some occasion. Did he miss somebody's birthday again , jae sat down brushing his hair back busying his mind to recall the birthday he knows.  

 

  “ .    .     .  Ok everybody's here “  mrs kim stood up as hyeon sat down on the only chair left for her , as though it was strategically left , right next to lay right in front of jae. With eunbi sitting on her other side.

 

 

   “ .    .     .  First of all thank you all for coming “ the big smile on mrs kim is a little bit scaring jae that it might be either the girls or hyeon’s birthday or something and he didn't even knew about it.  They have already celebrated mrs kim's and joon birthday .  And the rest isn't even in this month.  Lays is on december , that he is sure off. Which leaves hyeon and the kids because if it's the kids he could make it up on another day but if it's hyeon's he will be really ashamed and mad at himself and also joon for not letting him know . But then again if it's heres his sure mrs kim would be throwing a bigger party .    .   . May be she wanted something simple.

 

   “ .    .   .  Is that way lays here” jaes mind couldn't stop thinking as he brushes his hair back continuously .

 

      “ .    .    . This is not that much but enough to celebrate “ mrs kim smile glancing around the table ..   . She even got a smile from lay .

 

    “ .    .   . But am sure you all have heard our beloved Jae has quit his job “ mrs kim directed everybody's eyes towards jae , who sighed out of life first before  he smirked realizing what's this is all about .

 

    “ .   .    . Since none of the people you terrify to death are gonna throw you a party we did”

 

    “ .    .    .  This is ridiculous “ jae smiled as mrs kim walked his way and gave him a quick hug .

   “ .   .  .  Just say thank you “ she squeezed his arm she knows how to get a thank you.

 

“ .     .    .  Thank you “ jae replied quickly before she squeezes harder and leaves a bruise on.

 

       It didn't take long for all to go fix the plates from the buffet of food laid out on the table on the next tent .

 

 

    Hyeon focusing on cutting eunb's pieces smaller and adjusting everything for the  girl before she starts her own meal .

 

   “ .    .     .  So unemployed . Huh  .   . “ the chef started the conversation.

 

    “ .    .    What are you gonna do now .   .     . I heard the hardware store at the curve is hiring “ the chef added the whole table erupting into a laughter. Even lay couldn't help but smile

 

       “ .   .    . I think he would make perfect civil servant working for the government “ joon added his words making hyeon choke up on her food as she laughs on . Jae becoming a civil servant would be even more hilarious than seeing him working as a cashier at a store.

    

     “ .     .    . Sorry , that was just .   .  “ hyeon couldn't stop laughing.

 

    “ .   .   . I could work for the government  “ jae placed his fork down . Her laugh is starting to get to him.

 

    “ .    .   . It doesn't seem like a hard job” he added glancing around the table to find everybody smiling at him.

 

    “ .   .    . It's not about the job being hard it's that you hate the government “ sungi sitting next to the chef added.

 

  “ .    .    . Well she use to hate rich people “ jae folded his arms sending his eyes to hyeon who immediately looked up her big eyes glaring at him as the whole table turned their eyes to her  .   .  . Thire big smiles still lingering on specially on the ones who know how much hyeon resented and use to curse out the likes of the guy sitting in front of her.

 

   “ .   .     . That’s  a g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter