Friday night

2:21
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As soon as the sun went down, the dark clouds that had been hanging above the city cleared away in minutes, giving way to a clear dark sky and the beautiful moon and stars. The quiet streets were in seconds crowded by uniformed people running away. After a full day of work, there was a destination for everybody that was filling the trains and buses. The ones with lovely homes and people waiting for them were heading straight home to rest their backs and bodies that have been routinely walking back and forth to work for the last 5 days. Some, even though they were tired, needed a drink to end the week. Every street food vendor, bar, and restaurant looked forward to Friday night as it was the busiest night of the week. For all the frustrated and anger filled employees, Friday night drinks were their therapy. The line of suited men and women that flooded the financial district in minutes will be filling the line of luxury bars and restaurants for happy hour.

 

 

For some that is as insane as Hyeon or live in a different reality, Friday night was no different than any other night. It was work as usual until whatever time. For Hyeon, it was usually until her eyes started hurting. The drops her doctor recommended which she usually forgets at home, were only used once or twice. The half-eaten black noodle ramen was quickly forgotten as Hyeon went on preparing the file one of their funders has asked for. Her small office was a cute one, thanks to the office secretary who keeps it organized and has added some pants and pictures to decorate it. Her small desk filled with the pile of folders Hyeon hasn't opened was accompanied by the desktop that wasn’t being used for its purpose. It was a great place to put the sticky note memes Hyeon gets. The mockingly accurate name plaque they got her as a gift sat in front of the desktop. “The Boss” was the most accurate way to describe her job title.

 

The small shelf by the corner was filled with file cases and reports. The two big plants at the corner of the office were a great addition to the small couch and tablet in front of Hyun's desk. For anybody that wanted to meet Hyeon that was the place to sit. The secretary is the most efficient employee ever has made sure to wait until it was discount time and bought the office fridge with a free small fridge. They had thrown a nice party when the new fridge arrived and they officially got a break room. The small fridge filled with water and some juice was placed in Hyeon's office for guests. The small basket filled with magazines that sit on the table was neither organized by Hyeon either. Every week the secretary made sure to change the magazines and papers. The office secretary was in charge of the office even more than Hyeon.

 

She had known Hyeon since they both entered the city council 9 years ago and considering Hyeon gave her a job that pays well and full insurance the least she could do her job well and was to take charge of the office and give heyon a break from having another thing to worry about. Everybody that worked in their office had worked or known Hyeon at some point. There was a reason she trusted and hired them to work alongside her. Even Though they didn't have the fancy degrees and paperwork they are the best at what they do. From a backyard office, in three years they have moved to an office with a break room, meeting room, workspace, and two offices. “Imagine if we worked for actual profit” Jessica would always say whenever someone mentions that they are a nonprofit company.

Unlike Hyeon Jessica sitting on the couch had made sure to finish her light salad dinner and was enjoying her smoothie as she double-checks all their spending and expenses to match every receipt. Her “ the system” motto being a bit different than Hyeon, she had made sure to eat and relax as she does her work. With her heels kicked under the tablet, she laid on the couch, self-care was a priority. She loved her job and cared about the people they serve but nothing is coming between her and her food or her self-care. The late nights she is forced to work, she always blamed her love for Hyeon and doing it for her.

 

“Do we really need to do this every 3 months” throwing the office expense report Jessica protested? If she had to look at one more receipt about the amount of money spent on paper and printer ink she was going to lose her mind.

 

“ why do they need to know all this?” she asked, sending her eyes to heyon. Hyeon’s eyes hiding behind her Blue Light glasses were focused on the computer screen as her robot-like fingers type at an unmatched speed. Even Jessica who has worked as a secretary could not type at that speed, not in Korean or English. Her dress shirt she still hasn’t ed from her court appearance 3 hours ago, the pencil she corrects for her mistake on sticking in her ponytail, Hyeon was beyond focused.

 

“ I am getting a tattoo” Jessica bringing her feet down from the couch and sitting up added to see if her friend is actually listening.

 

“ I am going to get one on my back,” she added but Hyeon's fingers didn't stop, her focused eyes didn't leave the screen either.

 

“ was it Joon's number that you texted me with yesterday? Why don't we call him and see what” before she finished her sentence heyon's sharp eyes lifted from the screen and focused on her? Crossing her arms Jessica couldn’t help but smile. The only reason Hyeon buries herself into her work is the same reason that seems to get her attention out of it.

 

“You need a break” Jessica pointed at the clock at 9:45.

 

“You said no work after 9:00” Jessica focused her eyes on Heyon’s fingers that were still typing.

 

“ huh,” Hyeon sighed as her finger halted and she sat back. Her spine that has been hurting for days was getting worse.

 

“ You owe me one” Jessica standing up headed to the door. Even she was surprised by how she has lost track of time and actually worked until 9:45 on a Friday night.


 

“ We are going for a drink” she added as she opened the door to the dark office. Both were caught off guard that their co-workers had left and they both don't even remember if anybody said bye or not. Everybody knew when these two women were working on cases or funder reports, there is supposed to be no interruption.

 

“ We are so getting a drink tonight,” Jessica added, now sounding a bit angry that they spent their Friday night doing paperwork.

 

“ Huh” taking her glasses off Hyeon closed her laptop. The court case file sitting next to her she hasn’t even glanced at was on Monday. She now has a report and two access to prepare for over the weekend.

“Ohh” she cried out as the pain from her spin was becoming a bit unbearable when she stood up. The pain, she didn't have time for, was forgotten as she placed her laptop into her bag sitting by her leg. The court files, the expense report, her phone. ..were all thrown into her bag.

 

“ Are you ready?” Jessica, putting her jacket on, walked back into Hyeon's office.

 

“ Yeah. I just need to find the report for the women shelter donation we organized” Hyeon's eyes started busily scanning every file on her mess of a desk.

 

“ it’s under your dinner” Jessica pointed

 

“ ohh” throwing the file into her already filled bag and placing it on her right shoulder, Hyeon closed the noodle and held it in her left hand. It was not a good idea to leave this in the office for the weekend.

 

“ Do you want to go to that BBQ place or the bar?” Jessica grabbing Hyeon's jacket off the coat hanger and turning the light off as Hyeon walked out of her office, asked.

 

“ Let’s just go home”

 

“ I am so tired” sending her love-filled eyes, people have a hard time saying no to what Hyeon asked.

 

“ No. The deal is we will get a drink if you made us work past 8 p.m.” Jessica throwing heron's jacket on her face pointed at the clock about the printer. It was the only light in the room guiding their steps.

 

“ I am so tired. Please “ Hyeon started begging

 

“ please”

 

“ You are something. you always do “

 

RING RING - Jessica's sentence was cut by the loud ringing of the phone at the secretary's desk. Both froze as they sent their confused eyes to the phone. From the phone, their questioning eyes returned to each other as the room went into the silence that did not last long

 

RING RING - the phone started again

 

“ Who the hell is calling at this time?” Jessica protested as she headed to the wall and turned the light on, Hyeon headed to the secretary desk.


 

“ Hello” with a confused and worry sounding voice she greeted whoever was on the other line

 

“ hello. This is the Seoul district 7th police station” the man on the other line spoke adding more to heyon’s confusion and worry

 

“ We have one of your clients and she is requesting your presence” his angry voice added.

 

“ what? who is it?” Jessica glancing at the phone and the confused look on heyon’s face whispered. Covering the Mouth Hyeon whispered back “the police”

 

“What do they want?”

 

“ I don't have a client. I think you got the wrong number. May be

 

“ is this 51-5091111?” he cut her off

 

“ yes” Hyeon replied as Jessica reached over the desk and pressed the speaker's mood.


 

“ We have your client. Her name is . . .”

 

“ Hey what the name of the rich girl .. “ he started shouting


 

“ who is it?” Jessica whispering asked. “I don't know” Hyeon was more confused than the annoyed Jessica

 

“ THE RICH GIRL with the FERRARI “ he went on screaming


 

“ do we know anybody with a Ferrari?’ Hyeon asked

 

“ you're asking me?” Jessica seemed really annoyed that they were wasting another minute with this


 

“Why are we wasting time? Just hang up” Jessica leaving the desk and heeding to the door added



 

“Her name is Seung something



 

“WHAT??’ it was coincidental that her bag slid off her shoulder as she leaned closer to the phone. even Jessica had rushed her legs back to the desk as she heard the name



 

“ seung something .. these idiot’s can’t even get her ID “he went on screaming

 

“ She gave us your number you're her lawyer so you know the drill” he added

 

“ she will be here until you show up” before they asked for an address he hanged up


 

“ What did she get arrested for ?” Jessica placing the phone back down asked

 

“ I don't know” Hyeon picked up her bag and they both started rushing towards the door. Click - Jessica flicked the light switch off as she followed Hyeon's marching legs from behind.


 

“Why did she give your number? They have so many lawyers ?” Jessica asked one of the many questions that have popped up in her mind the moment she realized who was arrested.

 

“Isn’t she a millionaire with an army of lawyers” she added as she tried glancing at Hyeon who looked visibly worried.

 

“If they have her she is probably fine” Jessica tried claiming Hyeon down as she caught Hyeon's nervous hands trying to lock the office door

 

“ Get the car” Hyeon ordered as she started inputting the pin to lock the gate. The cold air attacking her skin didn’t catch her attention as Hyeon tries to process everything that is going on and why Seung would give her number instead of, like Jessica said, the army of lawyers that family has.

 

In a minute the car was out of the parking lot and joined the main street. Jessica's phone mounted onto the phone by the radio displayed the direction to the protestation as Hyeon grabbed her phone out, threw her bag to the back seat.

 

“ Do you think they are pulling a joke on you” Jessica with eyes focused on the road asked? It didn't take seconds to realize that Hyeon hasn’t thought about that as her startled eyes turned Jessicas way

 

“ what if they are using this to make you meet

 

“ didn’t you hear what the man said?” Hyeon cut her off. Even though she knew there could be a chance that the girls might be playing a prank on her or worse using it to make her meet him, she didn't want to accept that. there was no way they would do that to her.


 

“ She probably was drunk driving or something “ Jessica signaling right and joining the freeway changed the topic.

 

“ Why call me?” Hyeon who is now starting biting her nails asked. A quick slap on her wrist and her right hand was sent back down to her lap

 

“ cus am sure her dad is so chill that he would be fine with her drinking and driving”

 

“ she probably doesn't even drink in front of them. Haha,” Jessica went on laughing as Hyeon found it hard to imagine Jae being mad at Seung drinking or the girls being scared of him like that. From what she remembers he was the type to give them everything they wanted. Her brain was quick as it replied the day he spent with her and Rubin at the market and how he had handed and bought everything the girl asked. Right before the piercing like feeling started, her brian forced the image to disappear.


 

“Are you okay” as Hyeon's eyes dropped down and Jessica caught the seconds long despair, she asked

 

“ am fine I just can’t believe she would choose me for this over” she couldn't even say him still

 

“I know” You would beat her , he’s the type to just take her car keys away for a day or two “Jessica added trying to lighten the mood.

 

“ I know” heyon's smal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter