The apology.

2:21
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 " one way or another we have to give a press conference and disclose the questions  .    .    . " the man sitting at the other end of the table said throwing the pepper he was reading onto the table .

 

    " .    .     .    You saw what the councilman said at his interview this morning , we need to be more aggressive " the man next to him added  .

 

     Lay who was sitting in front at the middle seat just sat the , what ever the people sitting around the table were talking about going through in one ear and flowing out in the other .

  

    It has been almost a week since his brother drove of the han bridge but lay hasn't moved on . In his mind he's still sitting on that street waiting for the caps to scream " his breathing" .     .     .  How can this happen .      .       .   How can he just do this .      .      .  Lay who hasn't had a good sleep or a good meal for the last 7 days , just sat there his eyes swollen surrounded by the dark spots , his worn out face evidence of the state his body is in .

 

     He actually looks better , the first 3 days were worse as he locked himself inside his apartment , not even letting a  single light get in .     .       .  The darkness was more comforting .  His mother , hyeon .    .    .   Line of people begged for him to come out finally his mom calling the cops and breaking in.  But being dragged into that big house and living with his parents fueled his pain even more as he saw his mom laughing and going on about her die not even a little remorseful about what happened .      .        .  He couldn't handle it .

 

       After a two day fighting his dad was the one that convinced him to go back to work .    .    .  Using jae as an excuse . Now lay is left alone .    .     .   All his , no more competition .     .     .    The empire jae fought in vain to build is gonna be his .    .      .  

 

      After line of lines of shareholders meeting on  what to do about jae position and who to place .    .    .  Lay finally understood the term business as usual . For the shareholders filling jae's position is what concerned them the most , not what to do if they have to prepare a burial or what to even say there .     .        .    Somebody had to be in charge .     .     .   

 

       "    .      .     .  No more joking around now , lay

 

" .   .     .  You need to take responsibility , there is no jae that is gonna clean after you " the dad has warned when they walked out of the shareholders meeting .

 

           "    .    .    .  Sir what do you think we should do .   .   .  " the women in red asked bring everybody who was sitting around the tables attention onto lay , who with the file on his hand was staring out into space . His mind is too busy wondering how much his brother must have been stressed to have all this pressure , all these people waiting for his command  .     .        .  

 

    " .    .     .  SIR .    .    .  " the lady asked again , as most lowered their eyes down to their table .   .   .  Not surprised to see lay this way . He has been like this for the last 3 days and all the meetings he has been in .

 

 " .   .   .   . SIR .   .   . " the lady called out again .

 

  " .    .      .   Lay .   .    .  " hyeon tapped lays shoulder from the back , her voice bringing him back to reality . Lay threw the paper onto the table and started fixing his sitting position.

 

  "  .       .      .  What is this about .      .   .  "  he asked pushing his hair back and looking around the table .

 

   " .     .     .  The land  .        .     .    " the lady smiled staring at lays confused face .

 

    " .     .    .  expansion plane .    .    .  "She added  , lay still confused just gave her a quick smile and got up .

 

 " .    .     . I'll read through it and let you know "he picked the colder up and walked about immediately heading to the bathroom .     .       .  

 

1:45 p.m.

                  hyeon glanced at the time on the computer screen in front of her . Her disoriented face staring back at her .  She just stared at herself for a couple of minutes .    .       .       . Finding it hard to find anything even remotely ok looking on herself . She might not look as bad as lay but for someone who never even treated jae as a person his disappearance has cause her so much hurt and resentment against herself .

 

        She has promised herself she would not even get close to anything related to jk corporation but she couldn't even say no when lay ask her to come back to work . She couldn't say no .     .        .        .  How can she say no .       .       .   

 

    She dug herself out of the bed she has hibernated in for a couple of days and returned to work  but what she thought of resentment didn't let her just walk into the building .    .     .  With ease .   .   .  Every step she took inside the building was a constant reminder or what she has done .

 

  " .     .     .  You killed him "  the voice inside her head don't even rest for a minute .   .  .  It just followed her everywhere and no matter how much she tried to focus on her work and be helpful to lay , .    .    .  At the back of her mind jae's face is what linger on.  Bit u like lay who just want to sit and think when things like this happen hyeon prefers to be busy .    .    .     ,       .   Do this .     .    .  Do that .       .    .   She needs to keep herself busy so she won't even have a second left to think about anything else.

 

      " .    .   .  Hyeon his back "jessica opened the door and woke hyeon up .  Hyeon gave her a small smile and sat straight up.

 

   " .     .      .  How did it go "hyeon asked walking into lays office after knocking twice .

 

    " .       .      .  I don't know "lay closed his eyes and folded his arms placing them on the table before he put his head on top .

 

    " .      .       .   Your press conference is in 2 hours " hyeon said in a small soft voice knowing how much pressure lay is in.

 

  " .     .     .   I dont wanna do it " lay complained face down lying on the table.

 

 " .    .       .    I know you're going through a lot lay but at some point we need to start taking responsibilities " hyeon said praying to god her comment would be even a little bit of help to comfort lay .

 

" .   .      He worked hard to get the company to this, it would be a form of respect if you kept his legacy " she added as lay started stareing at her .

 

 

        "        .      .      . At Least until they find a new excutive director ,your the general manager and now in charge .      .      .    "

 

" .     .     .  Don't you wanna show them that  even when  he's not here that you got his back " she said looking directly at lay .

 

" .       .       .  You're just as smart and as much of a great leader as he is .      .       You can do it " she smiled , her worn out eyes sparkling for the first time on days . No Matter how distorted her face was or how much disheveled her cloth were having hyeon by his side is  what has kept lay going .

 

  Hyeon waited in silence , her eyes still focused on lay who just breathed out a couple of times

      

 

  " .     .    .  How can you ask me to move on when you're still blaming yourself for it " lay shoot a sharp comment and pulled the cigarette out from his pocket and as he has been doing for the last week , light it up and took his first breath with in seconds . It has become a habit  now .

 

    Hyeon Stood there .          .          .   

She doesn't have anything to say .       . The guilt can be seen all over her face .

 

       " .     .      . You need to stop blaming yourself  .      .   .  " he blew the smoke out .

 

" .     .     .   You're not the reason he did that " he added turning his eyes onto the city view behind him . hyeon just repeated what he said multiple time in her head but no .      .     .    It didn't help that much . No matter what anybody says .  .   .  She can't shake off the guilt hanging over her.

 

      the office went silent as both went on blaming themselves for what happened.  

 

   " .    .    .  Sir your father wants to see you " jessica slowly announced  handing hyeona  piece of paper .

 

  A good 5 minutes went by as they strolled out of lays office and slowly walked to the C.E.O. s office

 

   " .     .   .  Come in " the dad signaled lay and hyeon .

 

" .    .    .  Am leaving for paris tonight with your mother , do you have you speech ready yet " the dad looked up scanning lay up for a seconds before he turned his eyes on to the paper he was signing.

   

    " yeah, we have the speech already .   .  . " hyeon replied when lay failed to answer for a cou9lw of seconds .

 

  " .   .    .  There is a gonna be a very important meeting in beijing tomorrow morning , you're gonna attended"the dad galred up after sliding a big folder lays way .  Lay sat up straight and glanced at the folder title.

     

" .   .   .  This is hyungs project    .  , "he looked up his eyes immediately zooming on the dad .

 

" .   .    .  Actually its a company deal , he was just the one leading it .   .   .  " the dad finished signing , placed the cap on the pen and placed it on the table .

 

   " .    .    .   We need someone to close the deal or at least extend the deadline "  

 

" .    .      . Am not touching hyong’s project .   .  . " lay pushed the folder o to the middle of the table . A little bit shocked by his protest , the dad who was standing up sat back down.

 

" .    .     . Your brother is lying somewhere , probably brain dead     ,     .      .   " the dad said his fingers pointing at lay , who startled by his dads honest remark just stared back .

 

 " .    .     .   Do you even know where he is ?" The dad asked ,   .     .     .  Lay , who just like the dad asks doesn't even know where jae's body is at , .    .     .    The last time he saw his brother's body was when he was placed in the ambulance with joon and rushed out towards god knows where.

 

  " .   .      I knew those three had a special bond but this is too much .     .      .  

 

 " .   .   .  How can they just take his body and disappear " the dad smirked , the fact that he doesn't even care about where his eldest sons body is at clearly showing on his face .  Lay could see it .    .     .  He could see how much even his dad who's the only connection between him and jae doesn't even care what is going on with jae . .    .     .        His surrounded by people who don't even care a little bit .

     Lays mind went busy again trying to imagine how much it must hurt to live in the middle of all these people , how did jae do it for so long.

 

      " .      .      .  He could be dead you know " lay said hoping his words might shock his dad , who was busy fixing his coat.

 

" .    .      .  That's why you're going to beijing , everything is yours now "the dad smiled not even affected by lays remark .

 

" .   .    .   How can you be this cruel "lay asked disgusted by his dad smiling face.

 

" .    .     .     He's your son , .    .

    " .          .  You made him .       .  "Lay screamed finally finding someone to direct his bent up anger.

" .    .   .   Keep your voice down .    " the dad galred at lay directing the secretary to close the door.

     " .     .      .   Stop being a kid and crying about everything ,

" .     .    .  He drove the car of the bridge himself , he choose to do that .    .    .  " the dad's eyes are turning red and look furious

 

" .     .      .   Living with us do you blame him " lay smirked , his eyes tearing up again.

 

" .      .       .  Do you think we won't get punished for what we have done " lay ask pulling the cigaret of his pocket.

 

" .     .     .  He had anxiety issues , depression .   .   .  He was even on suicide watch  .     .    .  Did you even know that " lay blew out the smoke , remembering how much min screamed at him days ago after he wasted days looking for where joon took jae's body.

 

    " .      .     .   I don't know what you want from me , but if its sympathy for your brother you're not gonna find it " the dad picked his phone from the table and started walking towards the door after glancing hyeon up and down .

 

   " .      .       .  He's your son , dad

" .       .         . He's your son " lay smiled blowing out the smoke

 

" .     .      .  It's funny how you don't even wanna acknowledge that      .       .      " he added turning his seat towards the door

" .    .   .   No wonder people think you killed his mom" his words stopped the dad dead on his track, the old man immediately turned around throwing the phone in his hand right at lay , who dunked down   .    .      . Baam the phone hit the shelf and bamm it landed on the floor .

     

           Hyeon shocked  by what just happened covered her hanging open mouth with her hands  .

" .      .      .  I have tolerated your blabbering until now , don't make me resort to punishment lay "the dad screamed

  

" .      .     .  What are you gonna do fake my car accident too "lay hit the nail on the head .    .   .  Most people who know of jae's mother assume her cat accident was fake and planned out by lays dad.

 

"    .      .     . Huh .    .   .  "The dad sighed not even wanting to reply to what lay just said . Closing his eyes  he took a couple of deep breathes adjusting his coat .

 

    " .      .      .   The china deal better be on my desk when i return " the dad glared at lay and walked out .  

    Lay blew out his last smoke before he turned the cigarette off against the table.  He sat there staring at the folder for a couple of seconds before picking it up and walking out . Hyeon quietly followed behind .    .   . No wonder they make their workes sign confidentiality contracts , she laughed it off when she signed but now it makes clear sense as to why she had to sign it .

 

    " .     .      .  Were ed up aren't we " he pressed the down button and brushed his hair back letting hyeon see his swollen and tired eyes. Hyeon didn't answer   .    .    .  Knowing her silence itself is an answer

 

" .    .     .  He lived with this all his life " lays voice filled with pity  entered the elevator , his hands by them self  pressing 11.

   

Click - seconds later the elevator opened shocking both of them at the vacant lobby in front of them .  Just by the look of it you can tell that no body has been here for days  ,    .     .   .

 

 

 The windows shatter closed .   .   .  The secretary's desk empty .  .     .  Even the air feel vacant as

ay took one step forward and came into the lobby.

 

  " .     .      .  Do you remember , you slapped him over there  .    .    . Lays sming pointed at the gap between the emergency exit door and the sofas . The picture immediately pakyong in hyeon head she smiled along .    .    .  Their smiles didn't last long as it quietly disappeared leaving them once again remanence and play out the memory in their head.

 

     Placing the folder on the secretary's desk lay started walking across to the big window i front .     .      .       .  The whole city moving along as fast as always .  

  

   " .     .    .  While do i feel like i'm frozen while everything and everyone is moving on"  lay smirked as hyeon came along and stood next to him. Focusing her eyes at the amazing city view .

" .     .     .   I came back to make everything right , you know " he smiled pushing his hair back.

 

   " .     .    .  What am i suppose to do now " his sincere question making hyeon’s heart  stop. She stole a glance of lay  .   .    .   He looks lost .   .  . With no purpose or sense of direction.

 

    " .     .      .   Can i ask you an honest question ?" He lowered his head pulling a cigaret  from his pocket.  

 

  " .    .     .   Do you think he's still alive stanched in some private hospital  or .   .    .   " he couldn't finish the question .  .     .     Saying the word dead is still a little bit difficult for him . But jae could be dead or alive .   .    .  Nobody knows , joon and sungi has ran off with the body and no matter who lay payed to search for them .    .     .  They couldn't be found. But this question has been what has kept the tiny bit of sanity left in him   .    .    . Just in case .    .     .  Just by some type of miracle his brother survives. Hyeon has prayed too, she has went to the temple once or twice praying to be forgive and be given just one chance atleast a chance to apologize .

    

           She just went on staring at the city , for a moment caught in her own thought thinking of a way to comfort lay .      .       .  Both need comforting. For her having lay constantly tell her she's no responsible and seeing him back at work is what's keeping her guilty heart from sinking further .     .    .  For lay its simple .   .    .  If not for having hyeon by his side , he probably wouldn't be standing here right now.

 

      Hyeon slowly slid out the cigaret from between lays lips  , she put it in her pocket focusing her eyes on  lays dampy and disoriented face .  She brought her hands up , brushing his hair back  .   .   . And slowly massaging his checks

     

" .    .    .  Am pretty sure he's still alive and healing well " she gave him a quick fake smile accompanying the lie she just spouted out which she didn't even believe on herself . But even though lay knew she didn't mean it for the moment he bought into her words .     .     .  He would believe anything she would say when she looking this deep at him , with her sharp eyes .

 

    " .    .    . That's why you have to step up and do his jobs perfectly till he comes back " she smiled again .

 

  " .     .     .  You're just as good as him , you can  do it if not better just as good as him .    .   .  " she added still holding in her smile but slowly bringing her hands down.   .     .   Her eyes couldn't look away from the puppy eyes staring at her .

    Lays heart is beating fast again .    .    .   With both not being in their right state of mind .     .      .  Just stared at each other rather than logical and rational thinking .   .    . Feelings taking over.

 

   Lay leaned in forward .    .    .

 Stopping inches away from hyeons lips .         .       .  Giving her a split second to push him or step back but no .     .      .       She didn't move at all . For whatever reason she was thinking about .    .     .  Hyeon didn't step back .      .     .  With her worn out heart torn to pieces and filled with regret and confusion she just stood there closing her eyes as lays lips landed on hers .

          

5:30 p.m.

   Ladies and gentlemen please sit down the general manger will be here ina minute . The pr director announced to the room  filled with journalists.

 

     " .    .     .  Here's your water "jessica handed lay the bottle of water as the stylist went on fixing his hair  .     .    .   Hyeon sitting on the couch behind him busily reading through the speech one more time .

    

   " .   .     . Its time to go " one of the men in suits came and whispered to hyeon, giving him a  small bow she stood up .

  " .    .    .  We need to go " she said bringing her eyes up onto lay .

    

" .     .    .  Huh " lay sighed , his heart about to pop out of his chest , one thing he hates the most being speaking in front of people it's a little bit understandable why he would be nervous about stepping out into a room filled with reporters .

 

    " .     .    .  This way .    .    .  " the man started leading the way followed by  lay and hyeon who started walking next to each other as hyeon started pointing at the words he should focus on.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter