Lunch

2:21
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As much as she enjoyed driving across town, hyeon really couldn’t get over how the city is slowly. Block by block starts shifting once she crosses the bridge. The small buildings with big signs get replaced by tall and slike buildings that house the movers and shakers of the country. From fastly walking pedestrians crowding the street, it shifts to beautiful walkways surrounded by trees and one or two people, dressed in suits, walking here and there. Even the cafes and restaurants feel different once your drive a couple of blocks away from the bridge. It was the bridge, the clear red line marking the social and class divide between the haves and the have-nots. But for, those like hyeon, who got a good glimpse into the better half of the city, knew the actual movers and shakers weren’t just beyond the bridge; they lived way past even from those most would consider rich. Isolated and surrounded by an insane amount of wealth is where they lived, which, when she was young, she couldn’t even imagine.

 

“You need a haircut and a new color,” Mrs park’s voice echoed in her ear as hyeon got a swift glimpse at her flying hair through the rearview mirror. Her left hand moved away from her steering wheel; she started brushing her hair down. Looking good was always a great way to make a great first impression with somebody she will be working with closely. Excited that the manager had agreed to meet her outside of the company, hyeon had tried to make an effort to look a little bit put together than other times but the one hundred plus one thing she had to do didn’t give her that much time to fix all her makeup, but she had made sure to change into the outfit packed for her. “ it’s an important meeting, try to look a little bit decent” Jessica had warned as she placed the outfit, nicely wrapped, on Hyeon's desk. Even if Jessica hadn't warned her, hyeon knew this was an important meeting where she would have to make a great first impression.

 

“ ,” hyeon cursed as she glanced at the time. She is definitely going to be late. Her outfit she didn't wear properly, her make-up she didn't even put on, all of that was forgotten as her nerves started to kick in when she did the math in her head and knew she was going to be about 7 minutes late. One of her pet peeves was being late to meetings; it was no wonder she stared bitting her fingers as she steeped on the gas. She can't be late. She was never late. At least when she had control over things. That would be the worst way to make a first impression.

“ Come on. Come one” she shifted lanes and stepped on the gas while hoping that whoever she was meeting would be late as well. He was sitting next to her, easing all her worries. God had answered her most recent request as she walked into the restaurant and the table reserved to find nobody. “Thank God,” she breathed out as she made out the table the waiter was leading her to, and there was no one there. Her anxious hands needing something to calm them down, started squeezing the coat and bag she was holding as she followed the nicely dressed waiter leading the way. The gardenlike parking lot was the first sign to indicate this was no regular restaurant, but Hyeon knew that from the zip code and the five starts that showed up n the google search, she did not find the address.

 

“As long as I am not paying,” she had whispered to herself as she agreed to meet up for lunch all the way uptown instead than the meeting the manager at his office, which they should have. Looking at the beautiful restaurant hidden behind the garden, hyeon knew there was no way she can affored to pay here anyway. This wasn’t a casul lunch place even for rich people, this was different. Her curious eye,s leaving the waiter, followed the trail of vines across the walls leading to the bartender surrounded by nice flowers and greenery, which were slowly thanks to the roof top that was slightly opened, letting the fresh air breath in. There was just enough sunlightt, enough plants, and nice breath to make it a garden restaurant. The simple and chich design on the tables she knew probably cost more than if it was crowded by heavy furniture.

 

“Here we are” the waiter’s voice brought her eyes to her reserved table.

“Thank you’ Hyeon gave him a big smile as she took two steps away form him and chose the seat facing the bartender and tee restaurant while the garden was in her full view thanks to the wall-to-wall glass window on her left side.

“ There is a beautiful breath so I will open this” The waiter heading to the window wall remote behind her slightly opened the window, and he was right, the soft breath that started coming in was beyond lovely.

“Thank you” her bag and coat were placed on the seat to her right, hyeon gave him another smile.

“ I will bring you over our menu. Is there anything you want to start with?” he asked as he quickly assessed her outfit and figured out that ,she definitely needed to see their menu before she ordered anything. He has never seen her before and she doesn't look like she would be coming back here anytime soon either.

“ water would be nice” hyeon nervously brushing her hair back asked

‘ tonic, botlted, iced, minted, with lemon” the water listed all the type of ways water can be served. Her soft smile , as alwayse, was doing its trick as she had forced the waiter to smile back at how even a simple water is a complicated order here. Her i don’t belong here face was too cute as the waiter made the. decision for her

“I know, it’s too much”

“ try this tonic water we have with some mints. It’s a great way to cleanse before a meal,” he suggested, which hyeon agreed to.

“That sounds good.”

“ great! I will come back with the menu” he gave her another smile before walking back to the main counter.

 

A quick glance at her phone. The manager was over ten minutes late. Her hands focusing on her task, she pulled out the folder in her bag and sat it on her side. She has some convincing to d,o but she was beyond good at that, so no worries. As long as the man got here, she knew she will get what she had driven all the way here for. Having enough time after adjusting her documents, she switched to her hair which she pulled out of her ponytail and started brushing it down.

 

“ here is your water’ the waiter disturbed her focused attempt to fix her hair.

“ thank you!”

“Oh, this looks beautiful” hyeon couldn’t help but admire the glass design, the nicely cut mint petals floating on top of her water.

“ They’re going to charge you for each petal,” leaning down he whispered. from the looks of it; she looked like she would understand his jokes. She, with her slightly dissolved cloth and line of documents, looked like somebody who works for the people that dine here.

“Oh am sure, but I am not paying so “ they exchanged a small laugh.

“ Somebody is paying for all this, so make sure to recommend something fancy I need to try.”

“Oh, I got you” his hand was soft as it landed on her shoulder.

“ There is this great appetizer that I will place an order for you.” Pulling his pen from his chest pocket, he started writing down on his notepad.

“ Oh, can you not, until the person gets here.”

‘ I don’t want to pay to in case he doesn't show up” Hyeon was honest with her request as she was even mad she would be changed for this beautiful tonic water thing. Although she was hungry, the bagel she had in the morning was nothing. She knew there was no way she was paying for anything here. If this man doesn't show up, her best option is to drive back to her side of town and have a nice big lunch that will probably cost less than the water in front of her.

“ oh smart, I’ll put in the order when your guest arrives.”

“ Thank you!”

“ By the way, Just go straight and make a right,” the waiter pointed at the back corner of the restaurant.

“Thank you” he got another smile as hyeon picked up her bag and started heading in the direction he pointed. It was unconscious as he turned around and stole a glance at the woman heading the other way. Her creamy white silk shirt, hidden behind the white cardigan she had on, wasn’t the target of his eyes as they lowered to her miniskirt. The black skirt that hugged her body went all the way to her knees. The slit right at the middle exposed a glimpse of her thighs which looked more alluring thanks to the black stocking she had on. She was beautiful to look at.

“The goal is to be a little bit seductive” jessic had exclaimed when hyeon protested the outfit.

“ You want to look business casual with a little bit of seduction in there to get what you want,” and Jessica was right. When hyeon walked out of their bathroom, even jessica was taken aback.

“I feel weird,” hyeon held on to her bare chest. The spaghetti strap silk shirt exposed much of her skin than she was used to for a business meeting. Hiding behind Jessica, she had bagged her white cardigan which she wore to cover up. But Jessica was right; the shirt was beautiful on its own.

“ Huh” Hyeon assessed as she took it off and placed the cardigan down on the table by the mirror, and started adjusting her hair. With small drops of water and a drop of her lavander oil, she brushed all her hair back into a nice bun. Her dark hair , famous for flying around was all tied down , exposing her beautiful face and bare neck. Another drop of her oil, which she always uses for calming purposes, was added to her lotion as she started massaging it to her chest and arm. If she was going to expose any skin, it had to look and smell right. Hair pushed back into a nice bun. Skin moisturized. Her next target was her bare face as she moisturized it. Emptying her bag, she found some makeup which she was excited about. The golden highlighter, which was Jessica, was applied to her cheeks, her nose, and a small amount to her eyes. Thank the moisturizer she had on her skin socked in nicely. Next was the mascara, which was also Jessicas; it was carefully applied to her already long and striking eyelashes; Making her eyes the second most striking features of her look today. Number own were her lips which she found her red matt lipstick for. She had spent the crazy dollars on buying the lipstick that was more than her secret weapon. This red lipstick was her superwoman shield as it not only instantly changed her look but the confidence it brought.

“ oh God!” even she couldn’t accept how these minor adjustments had changed her look significantly. Her small gold stud earrings were on; she started adjusting her thin gold necklace to make her feel less bare. The neckless was placed inside her silk shirt that felt beyond nice against her bare skin. The thin gold chain, rather than distracting from her chest and her well-moisturized skin, actually highlighted it all as it sparkled when the light hit it. Her perfume sprayed around; Hyeon rushed out of the bathroom when she was reminded that her guest might have arrived.

am I?” she had asked as she shoved her cardigon into her bag and looked up to find she had made a wrong turn leading her to the actual garden and the breathtaking outdoor dining area. This was where all the people eating were as hyeon made out the almost full garden and the people enjoying their lunch. The smell of the delicious food, the laughter of the people mixed in with the soft jazz playing, the lovely spring breath, the sight of all these beautiful dressed people and well kept garden . . it was all too much and too beautiful as she taken by it all.

 

“ We can change you to the back if you want,” the waiter that caught her staring brought Hyeon's attention back to the real world.

“ The garden is way better,” he added as he tried not to make it obvious how startled he was by how different she looked. Her red lips and striking eyes were deadly as they focused on him and gave him a smile.

“ no no no. you don’t have to,’ Hyeon protested

“ It’s no big deal for me; let's see if there is an open table” Pressing on the ear piece he had on, he started whispering.

“ thank you” hyeon gave him another smile. Her smile has done the trick as it got her a table. Her water and documents carrier led by the waiter while she held her coat and bag, they started heading back to the garden she was enamored by.

“ Actually, you got the best seat.”

“It's by this tree; it gets a beautiful shade, and it's at a corner” the waiter leading the way went on listing all the reasons why he had gotten her one of the best seats in the restaurant.

“Thank you so much” Hyeon focused on her steps, as her heels weren't something she was used to walking on carefully laid stones that were carefully laid out so nobody steps on the grass. She was beyond thankful she agreed to sit outside as the nice fresh air brushing against her exposed skin and flowing throw her slik shirt felt beyond nice. The slik shirt, hat was a super low cut in the back, had exposed most of her back that was enjoying the nice brezz. The nice spin line down her back had caught more than a single person attention as hyeon passed their table. Her black miskirt following it didn’t help ease the curious eyes either as it highlighted more of her beautiful shape, leading to her slender legs.

“ sorry” hyeon passing the waiter she tried to focus her eyes on the road and the tabel ahead. Just like he promised hyeon was beyond excited when they got to the conrer table that sat below the big tree. Her bag and coat placed by the chair next to her, she sat right at the corner giving her a great view of the whole garden.

 

“Here is your water” the waiter placed her documents on the empty space at the left corner of the table before placing her water infornt of her.

“Thank you so much. This is so beautiful” her honestly happy smiles were too adorable as he took them all in a bit surprise dthat she was this excited by this. For hyeon that has been dronwed with work and locked in her office both at work and at home, this was the small amount of joy she needed to lift her mood and make her happy.

“ You knwo what I am going to get you a drink. You need one” as he finished adjusting the table the waiter gave her a wink

“ Ohh nono i can’t”

“ don’t worry . it will on the house”

“ Oh I don’t drink when am at work”

“ come on, consider it a happy hour” his soft hand landed on her shodler again. This time there was no cardgon as it landed on her skin. Hyeon too caught up in her protest didn’t even pay the slighted attention to it.

 

“ You deserve it, and you’re having a good day. Lets make it greatt” he insisted as he lifted his hand and started heading away from her table. He knew she was going to accept. She was too much in a good mood to reject one drink.

“ Look at this!” hyeon, right when he left her table, started looking at the tree next to her. Immediately wondered how the architect would have to work around not cutting the tree. Her excitement he couldn’t hide, she had taken her phone out and taken some pics to send to jessica and Mrs park, who are going to regret not coming with her for this. Her phone placed face down on her right side, her eyes went to the beautifully laid table and her water she took a sip of. He was right, this was delicious as hyeon couldn’t believe it was just water and some mint petals. Another sip of her drink, and her eye started wandering around the grad garden and all the people enjoying their meals.

 

The gorgeous-looking food and table were one thing, but all the beautiful people and their nice outfits were something else. Nothing to make her feel out of place as being surrounded by the ultra-wealthy as hyeon assed the fancy outfits, the luxurious bags, the expensive jewelry, and shoes. The water she was enjoying was helping with swallowing the fact that what she was jealous of wasn’t any of the that but the fact that thes people have access to such a place and enjoy two hour lunches in places like this. She was never jealous of what these people had but their access to things she couldn't even dream of.

 

OHH- her right hand landed on her neck as the water she siped went down the wrong path as her eyes landed on the table at the other corner of the garden and the side profile of the man she would recognize anywhere. As her right hand started tapping her chest, her left busily placed her drink down; her eyes zoomed on the table across the room.

 

Cough Cough - she started coughing as her eyes focused on the slow motion of his left hand that rose up and slowly brushed his hair behind his ear, which she had witnessed millions of times but never gets tired of witnessing. The two earrings could have been an excellent clue, but she didn't needs any. This beautiful side profile was one she can recognize anywhere.

 

Cough Cough - she went tapping on her chest as her body was asking for assistance to help save it from choking but her mind was someplace else as it took in the slight smile of Jae that turned into laughter. His eyes directed at his food, Jae's laughter along with his hand that came to cover his lips were all happening in slow motion. His right hand placing his knife down had come up to sit above his lips, hiding his laugh from those in front of him, but not from the pair of startled eyes zooming on him from across the garden.

 

“Here we are” The waiter, shocking hyeon brought her eyes back to her table

“ Are you okay,” he asked, leaning down as she went on tapping her chest and taking another sip of her water, which finally started helping.

“ Okay?” the waiter asked

“I'm fine, cough cough hyeon responded as she picked the napkin up and covered her lips.

“ fine’ she added as she stole another glance at jae then back at the waiter.

“ This is our most famous spring drink. It's really good for days like today” he slid the beautiful and colorful drink her way.

“ oh, this looks good” hyeon placed the napkin down, leaned down, and took a sip of the drinks, and he was right. It was deliciously refreshing.

“ This is so good,” hyeon looking up, added.

“ I knew you would like it’ his hand landed on her shoulder again, Hyeon nervously stealing glances at Jae, didn’t notice it again as she just gave him a smile when he left her table. Her immediate attention was placed on the table across. Jae, Joon next to him, and the other two men were the focus of her attention. Thankful it was one of the two men she didn't know that face ultimately her way. Jae, whose left profile was facing her could make her out if he turned around but he ,seemed too caught up in the conversation to even turn slightly for her to see his entire face. Joon sitting on his right was too easy to notice as well as he was always on the right.

 

Her drink in her hand, hyeon sat back, her eyes entirely focused on the men across the garden. Her curious eyes had all the time in the world as they zoomed on the fork that headed to his lips. It was fascinating watching him eat as she finally noticed how he chews so slowly and how he eats slow enough to fully enjoy his food. His well-defined jawline was even more noticeable as it moved up and down. Her eyes, following the line down, traced down his neck to his black shirt and the two open buttons. His necktie that wasn’t part of his look for today had helped the slight breeze that moved his opened collar. The beauty mark right above his left collar bone, which was hidden by his shirt but one she knew was feeling the fresh air was what occupied her mind as she went on siping the alcohol on her empty stomach. Another sip and her eyes slowly traced back up to his lips sipping the water he brought up. With the small laughs in between his sips, he really was enjoying the conversation.

 

Her drink was halfway done when her eyes finally landed on his eyes which were focused on the man talking. Does he always look this focused when he was listening, she questioned? But before she got her answer, came another laughter giving her an opportunity to make out his cheekbones that nature has contoured well. She hates his guts but still, she couldn’t help but admit how captivating he was to look at. With the help of Jessica, who hates him even more they could go on a fuul rnat about how much of adveil he is but both could not help but admit that he was a handsome lookin man. He has never been and wil never be bad to look at. But looking never stops at just that. Especially looking at someone she knows so well what he sounds like, smells like, and feels like. It never stops at just looking.

 

“Stop it,” recognizing where it all was going to lead to hyeon diverted her eyes to her table.

“ This is not okay,” she whispered as she took the last sip of her drink and tried to shut down the hidden temptations that aided by the alcohol was going to corrupt her mind.

“ God” she whsipered as she needed more and picked up the water and took a big gulp, calming herself down.

 

“Excuse me” she called to the waitress that was passing her way.

“can I get another of these?” she lifted the drink. For now, the price was forgotten as she just needed some alcohol to help her forget what she spent the last couple of minutes doing. With eyes forced to focus on her phone and the news she was reading, hyeon spent the next few minutes until her drink arrived, gluing her eyes to her phone.

 

“Thank you” lifting her eyes up to the waitress, she gave her a small smile. Her eyes from the waitress, moved to their target they couldn't help but steal a glance, although she had forced them not to ,.

“ HUH” her breath she swallowed came right as her eyes landed on his face that started turning to his left, looking right at her. His eyes that were looking for his waiter didn’t seem to notice her as he kept turning and looking around, passing her table. But as quick as she had recognized the “wait a minute” look on his face, she knew his eyes were returning to hers, and they did slowly .

 

“Oh God!” she whispered as his eyes returned back to her.The surprised look on his was an honest reaction as it really was her sitting at the other side of the garden.

“ Hi” the words she whispered didn't reach his ears, but her small hand wave did. His small nod in response was noticed by Joon, who swiftly looked back to see who had stolen Jae's attention but more so who had forced Jae to whisper “ ”

“ Oh My God is that Hyeon” Joon asked as he turned to Jae and then back at hyeon who gave him a small wave along with a smile. He, unlike Jae, returned her wave before both men turned their eyes to the table.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter