Talk to my lawyer

2:21
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Good morning” Mrs park was the first to greet Hyeon, as she and Jessica walked into the office.

“ I made you guys breakfast” the lady lifting the huge bag in her right hand smiled at the two girls. In minutes everything in the big bag would be laid out across the meeting table. From all types of eggs, bacon, and tiny sandwiches to cut out fruits Mrs park has made a neatly organized breakfast for the whole team. Jessica who was munching on the tiny sandwiches knew the issue had to be big for them to be served this kind of breakfast.

 

“So who’s gonna tell us” Jessica pulling the small jar filled with freshly squeezed orange justice asked. Everybody knew there was a reason Mrs. Park came before dawn, with breakfast for 6 people.

 

“So” Hyeon placed her chopstick down. Mrs. Park nervously arranged the cut-out apples and gave Jessica who looked at her, a small smile.

 

“ Mrs park runs the woman shelter by the old airport” she placed her chopsticks down and picked one of the napkins to cover as she finished chewing. Mrs parks file she took home and read through, again and again, have gotten her attention but she had promised to never take on a case without talking to teh staff so they were called to report to work an hour early so they could have breakfast and discuss if they could take the case or not.

 

“ Remember we had that highschool girl who was pregnant and parents forcing her to abort” Hyeon glanced at the people stuffing their mouth across the table

 

“ We sent her there”

 

“ Yes, Yuna is staying at our center while she fights the case, Mrs. Park with a big smile added as she slid the nicely cut apples to the middle of the table. All the people in this office looked like they haven’t had a good home-cooked meal in days and it was her pleasure to wake up before the sun and make them teh food they need for the work they all do. Her motherly love extends to strangers and not just teh girls and women she takes care of.

 

“Thank you” Min taking two pieces from the cutout apple shaved Mrs park a small smile. He has no idea how this lady cooked all this food and came on time. Her beautiful sundress matched to teh cardigan she had on. Her hair was neatly tied by a small bow, her small earring matching her necklace. She looked away chic and elegant than any of the girls 20, 30 years younger than her. With her small smile that accompanied any glance she got, there was no denying Mrs park was once a very beautiful girl. And now a very beautiful woman, who cooks amazing food, who dresses elegantly, and on top of that takes care of women and girls in difficult situations.

 

“The shelter currently has over 40 women and girls living in there and they are under the city” Hyeon finished the food in and started speaking clearly.

 

“Funding wise or ?” min asked

 

“All types of wise. We are funded and governed by the city” Mrs park slid the apples his way as she gently rushed his back. Her soft voice accompanying her general touch, she was like a maternal figure everybody would die to have.

 

“ I don’t know if you know but the old airport has been sold” Hyeon pulling her laptop up started connecting it to the projector in front. She had spent last night preparing a nice presentation to convince her team.

 

“ The whole area is sold” she added as she pressed present on her laptop that is already set up with the projector.

 

“Thank you” she gave Mrs park who turned the lights out a small smile.

 

“ Omg, no way” the secretary was the first to complain as the picture of the sold area popped up on the projector.

 

“ Ohh here are all the women '' Hyeon pressing the next three times went to teh picture of all the women in the shelter.

 

“ We not only shelter them, we give them small training. That one is from our sewing trainings” Mrs park with a sadness filled look but a small smile accompanying her words spoke out.

 

“ The whole area is sold ?” Jessica, who is trying to stay objective, asked glaring at Hyeon.

 

“ The city is the one selling all the land so they are receiving all the money” Hyeon pressed next to let the purchasing document on the big screen.

 

“ They are giving them” she pointed at Mrs park

“ about 600,000 to find a new location and for other expenses”

 

“ you all know the cost of space in Seoul” Mrs park jumped in

 

“ Huh” all the people across the table knowing where this was going sent their eyes back to their food. It was gut-wrenching looking at the woman’s pictures.

 

“ We were able to find a small location by the train station across from the high school but we can only have 15 women there”

 

“We would have to let go of all the rest”

 

“Even that was 180,000 per year for rent or about 2,200,000 for purchasing the space” Mrs. Park took over giving Hyeon the chance to take some bite of her omelet.

 

“Me and the other ladies working there were planning on using our savings' ' everybody across the table has been labeled as the most humanistic person they know but Mrs park might take the cake.

 

“We all don’t have much but this is our family”

 

“We have been fighting with the city for a month. last week they told me they could just shut it if we don’t agree on the 600,000”

 

“ I’ve talked to so many lawyers and consultants, we even paid some”

“ spent 10,000 on lawyers to just understand our legal rights for selling”

“ One of the ladies who worked at city hall referred me to your organization” she gave them a soft smile as she glanced at them one by one

 

“ It took 3 weeks to finally meet you all” she added another smile which all reciprocated

 

“ We need your help or the women might be homeless by the end of the next month” she finishes it off by forcing everybody to almost choke on their food as they realize the dire situation.

 

“Thank you for even listening to us” giving them a small bow the lady headed for the door. Closing the door behind her she headed to the bench by the secretary’s desk. Reciting her favorite prayers she sat, her eyes locked on Hyeon who was the one talking

 

do you guys think?” Hyeon asked and it took some seconds for the first person to state their opinion.

 

“ I feel bad for them but what can we do?”

“ I don’t think it's a good idea cuz there no way out of this”

“ We already have so many cases”

“ what can we do for them they are run by the city and the city decided what to do”

“It’s already sold land. there is nothing we can do” Min was the last to state his opinion

 

“ what do you think?” Hyeon turned to Jessica who was still fixated on the picture of the woman. She was lost in her little imagination of what kind of life these women are living.

 

“ I don’t know how we can help”

 

“ the city decision is the city's decision” Jessica's words got a couple of agreements across the table.

As she sat praying and keeping her focused eyes on every lip that was moving Mrs. Park knew things were looking good as she noticed the sad look on Hyeon’s face.

“Before you decided” Mrs. park opening the door walked in

 

“Before you decide, can you come to the center and meet the woman,” she asked with pleading eyes.

 

“ It is 10 minutes from here. You can come on your lunch break”

“We will make you a nice lunch and you can see it for yourself” Mrs park added with a big smile that is known to do wonders for people

 

“ I know you have a 45 minutes lunch break” She turned her smile in Hyun's way. Hyeon’s schedule she saw yesterday did have a lunch break in it from 1 to 2.

“ Please. we will make you a nice lunch worth the trip” she added as she noticed the eyes agreeing to the plan turning Hyeon’s way. Everything voted on Mrs. Park noted as she followed Hyeon’s eyes that glanced everybody’s direction to get their vote on lunch.

 

1 p.m. right on time two cars have arrived at the hope center. Mrs park with her beautiful sundress for the morning welcomed them along with her assistant. The center which didn’t look that well from the outside was beyond beautiful on the inside. The office in front was like a typical office but what waited for them after they crossed that room and entered the center was something else. The rectangular traditional set up of the houses was nicely kept. The room was spotlessly cleansed and organized.

 

“Welcome to our house” Mrs park gave them a big smile as they all took off their shoes and started following her. The small garden Mrs park built sat right in the middle of the houses. The beautiful flowers and small trees were accompanied by a small fountain. The little pathways were nicely kept as Hyeon noticed the big open room on the other side and the small mats and pillow spread across the room. Later on, she would learn it is the meditation room which the women begin and end their day with. Mrs. Park had broken a wall and built a sliding door that stays open and gives them a full view of their garden as they meditate. The ladies have helped decorate the sliding doors and windows.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter