Chapter Forty Five

Perfectly Imperfect Mr. and Mrs. Wu

The very next day, he was already gone to work when she woke up. She stayed a bit longer inside her room when she woke up. Not to avoid him, but to avoid the feeling of pain to creep back into her heart. By around nine, she went down to check if there are still signs of the boys but all are already off on their own businesses. She took a quick shower and busied herself in tidying up the whole place. She changed the curtains, made a few new arrangements on the decorative, and vacuumed the rugs and the corners that need to be cleaned. She also tidied up the rooms left untidy by its occupants. She just ordered some food for her lunch as she finishes the things she hasn’t finished after lunch. By around two in the afternoon, right after she had freshened up, dressed to go out, the most unexpected visitor came to for a surprise visit. Kris’ grandmother, looking as elegant and proper as how a rich old woman should look like stood in front of the door. Unsurpassed poise with that certain air of superiority made her look more respectable.

 

“Good afternoon,” she gaily greeted the old woman who seems to be oblivious of her jolly welcome.

“I see your husband is not around eh?” the old woman moved inside, passing by her.

She is as she is when she last saw her during that dinner, but for some reasons, the aura she exudes differs from that she emits when they had the dinner. Today, she exudes that very cold aura which produced goose bumps on Sooyoung’s arms. “I can call him for you if you want,” she followed the old woman who made herself comfortable on the living room.

“No need to call that useless grandson of mine,” she mildly spoke but there is authority and certain contempt in her voice which made her stop.

“But, he is your grandson,” she reasoned out, still standing beside the sofa.

The look that the older one gave her made her somehow tremble in fear for no reason at all.

 

“Sit, for we have things to discuss,” she gestured Sooyoung to take a seat on the lone sofa opposite her. The younger one moved uneasily as she tries to wonder where did that warm old lady they met during the dinner weeks ago went or how she was able to transform to this cold woman in front of her.

“You seem to be so tensed. Relax a bit my dear,” the old woman said, giving off a smile which all the more escalated her fear.

“Why are you so different from the dinner we had before?” she asked, not able to contain her curiosity.

 

The old woman scoffed, “I see you have met my poor twin sister. That traitor should have been with our parents but then, Kris’ mother was to kind to keep her.”

‘Twin sister?’ her eyes widened from the information she heard.

“I would not dilly-dally anymore. I am here to offer you a divorce.”

Sooyoung’s wide eyes widened all the more.

From her reaction, the older one grimly smiled, “You see, we do not favor intermarriages. As much as possible, we want our sons and grandson to marry one of our kind. Not to marry someone off the mainland, especially from a family with an unsure background. Your mother and father are all but meager employees of a company, your sister has her own café house and you live by being a model only. How can you help our grandson enrich his company with that background?”

Her breath got caught on . Even with a very mild, almost soothing voice the old woman has, it all the more accentuated the insult she had just said.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

Luhan hums as he maneuvers the wheel to get inside their courtyard when he saw the three lined black limousine in front of their mansion. He stopped the car and tried to check on who could be the visitor they have. ‘Could it be the President? But why would he visit us anyways?’ he thought.

Something distinct about the guards standing near the vicinity of the main entrance made his gasp as his eyes landed on the emblem at the back of the car. There could only be one person who owns that symbol. Realizing that Sooyoung is still at home, it all the more made him hurry and call on Kris. His phone rang but it was directed to voice mail. He tried once more but it was directed again to voicemail which all the more made him afraid. When the third one was directed to voice mail, he only left a sentence.

“Kris, the old evil queen paid the princess a surprise visit.” Then he snapped his phone shut as he makes a U-turn to leave the house and gather the rest of the boys.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

She tries to keep herself from stopping her breathing from what the old woman had just said. When she did not respond, the old woman continued.

 

“You see, you do not fit in our social circle. You have nothing to boast about. Just what would you say when you are invited to a party full of business people? You would tell about your modeling career? My dear that would make you the laughing stock of the whole population in attendance. They might think of odd reasons as to why you agreed on marrying him and we would not want to enumerate those reasons right?” she laughed as she watches Sooyoung breathing falters from fear and probably shame.

 

“I am being nice in here, so what do you say? Do you accept the offer or suffer from the fact that you are not the right girl for my grandson?” the old woman asked.

“My Son, Kris’ father was so frustrated when he learns that his only son marries a Korean, I may say, of the lower hierarchy. My dear, you do not want your husband to hold the burden of being hated because of you right? The family line will surely make a fuss once they learn that their prodigy is married to you,” the old woman added which all the more made her breathless.

 

When Sooyoung did not respond, just bowed her head, the older one spoke again.

“Oh, I am so rude to rush things, am I? I must have pressured you much, so how about giving you the time to think of my offer? I am sure that delicate matters like this really needs time, especially when you are married to someone as rich as Kris Wu.”

With a smirk, the old woman stood up and left a card on the center table, “Call me if you have finally decided.”

Without waiting for Sooyoung to lead her out, she opened the door and left her getting beaten off by the things she had heard.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

By around 4:30, the member of the planning committee finally left after the plan presentation. Kris stayed at the conference room to check the papers for a possible flaw or the likes. When everything seems to be fine, he closed the folder and leans on the swivel chair as he reaches for his phone on his pocket. There are more than thirty missed calls, all from the boys. There was one voicemail though, from Luhan. He opened it and froze when he heard the message.

 

“Kris, the old evil queen paid the princess a surprise visit.”

 

He immediately stood and left the room in a rush as Jongsuk got surprised from his sudden actions. He picked up the folder left on the table as he wonders what important matter made his boss hurry that much.

 

Kris was so frantic on his way back to their mansion. He stepped into the accelerator when he got to the highway, getting all the more hurried when the street lights turned red. He tried to call Sooyoung but she can’t pick up.

‘This is bad! That old woman might have infected her mind already!’ he angrily thought as he starts to move on since the lights turned green.

The usual twenty minutes ride turned to mere fifteen minutes one as he finally turns on the familiar curve to get inside their front yard. In hurry, he stopped the car but did not have the keys out of the ignition and rushes to get inside the house.

 

Everything looks fine. No broken things or the like. “Sooyoung?” he tried to call for her. He was answered by the sound of clinking glasses. He followed it and was surprised to see four empty bottles of wine on the table, the fifth one was being held by Sooyoung as she tries to steady her hand and pour herself another glass. With three large strides, he stopped her from drinking the wine further more. Looks like she is already drunk.

“You are drunk,” he said as he removes the glass from her hold. But she is not really drunk; just a bit tipsy but then, might as well keep the act.

She gave a slurred sad smile, “I hate your grandmother.”

Kris sighed, “I know, me too. Let’s get you to your room,” and tries to pull her up but when he did, she moved a bit more closely, whispering, “Make love to me.”

His eyes widened for a moment, but then he remembers that she is drunk, “You are drunk. Come on.” When she did not moved he carried her off her feet, moving to get upstairs as she clings to him.

 

When he laid her on the bed, she pulled him by the tie on top of her, whispering again, “Make love to me,” she locked her eyes on his, “Please.”

There was no lust or desire in her voice but something about it made him blink and finally gave in as he leans down to kiss her.

 

The kiss was slow at first until it starts to get more demanding, fueled with desire, passion and lust. It was only a matter of time when they are both above the bed, giving in to the pleasure of the feeling love making brought to them. Each powerful of his is equated by her loud moans; each demanding kiss is equated with the same desire all the more fueling their desires that it brought both of them to ecstasy twice. Just as before he could move away, she initiated a third one. But this time, it’s different.

 

It was slow; full of tenderness, of careful touches and kisses, of precision and care as it both drives them to ecstasy. He collapsed on top of her, breathing hard. She let her arms enclose him in a hug as she breathes hard too. For one last time, she pulled his face for a kiss as both of them finally drifted off to dreamland after he pulls the blanket over them.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

She stirred from her sleep as she opens her eyes to check the time on her small alarm clock. It’s five past ten. She turns again to see his sleeping face. Tears made its way to her eyes as she traces his features. She shed silent tears, trying her best not to wake him up. It hurts, almost unbearable to hear those words and all you can do is to shut your mouth from every insult you hear. She can take the words of him but not those about her family. She wiped off the tears on her face as she pulls herself up. She grabbed the robe hung on the nearest chair and pulled it above her body.

 

She grabbed their clothes scattered on the floor and folded it neatly atop the side table. With slow steps, she moved to have a shower at the bathroom. It was a long warm bath as she tries to rub away those words away from her body like some kind of dirt. But she has to accept the fact that those will never be removed by soap and water. When she stepped out the shower, she searched for her phone, immediately dialing Yeojin’s number.

 

“Hello? Sooyoung?”

“Unnie, book me a flight to get there in Paris, right now.”

“Why the rush? I can book you a flight but your departure will be not now.”

“I cannot wait for the daylight to come or else I might not get the chance again, please,” she begged.

There was shuffling on the other line before Yeojin’s voice came back again.

“I get it. It may take a few minutes. Perhaps you might want to pack a few clothes, bring your wallet, passport and phone. I’ll call you after I had already made it.”

The call was ended as she did as instructed. She changed into her casual jeans and a long sleeved pull over. She opted for shoes and packed a few clothes with some personal items. When she had slung her sling sports bag, her phone rang.

“I had already booked your flight. You will leave by eleven thirty in the evening.”

“Thanks Unnie, I owe you much. I have more than an hour so I’ll hang up now.”

 

She took a deep breath as she steps out of her large bathroom. Kris is still sleeping soundly. She took careful steps to get near him. With tears coursing down her eyes, she removed the ring he gave her on their anniversary and placed it atop his phone placed on the side table before bending over to kiss one last time on the cheeks.

She her heels and walked out of the room, out of the house and hailed a cab straight to the airport.

 

The almost empty streets and the dark night with the song ‘Tears’ by Leessang playing on the radio all the more made it hard for her to stop herself from shedding more tears. Even when she got inside the Incheon Airport, she finds that urge to turn around and run back home, but then she had made her mind as she waits for her flight.

She just plugged in her earphone on her phone and decided t let the music divert her attention as she waits for her flight.

 

Exactly eleven thirty, the plane took off to Paris. She took one last glance outside the window as she sees the lights turn to dots as the plane gets higher furthermore till she can’t anymore see from the blackness of the night sky. She just closed the window and decided to sleep her tears away since her eyes seem to have gone dry. It left her to wonder just when and what would happen next when she returns.