Chapter Four

Perfectly Imperfect Mr. and Mrs. Wu

It has been two weeks since she agreed on the wedding proposal. The day after that, she was already informed about the date of the ceremony that’s why she is having a hard time choosing her wedding gown. She had been scanning on magazines and even online for designs since morning. But none satisfied her. Even if there is, another would do so and another more thus making it hard for her to finalize it. She had finished two cups of mocha frappuccino but she really can’t decide. She took a break enjoying her third cup. Her sister’s café house looks a little less full today.

 

As she scans for the nth time for online designs, her ‘Mommy’ slipped on the opposite seat in front of her.

“What are doing?” she asked Sooyoung. Sooyoung almost choked on her drink which made the older one smile.

“You surprised me Mommy,” she pouted.

“So what are you doing?” the older lady asked.

“Mianhe Mommy, but I agreed on my parent’s wish. I’m so sorry that I cannot be the wife for your son,” she looked down, avoiding the woman’s eyes.

“It’s okay. Would you want me to help you look for designs?” the older one smiled at her.

 

The next thirty minutes, they kept on discussing about the chosen design. Sooyoung explained about her parents and sister getting busy over other preparations. “Mommy, please come to the wedding,” Sooyoung handed her an invitation which she barely checked because of getting busy on other matters. The woman in front of her smiled and received the invitation, slipping it immediately on her bag.

“I hope I can meet your son,” she added afterwards.

“About my son,” she was cut short when the door jingled. Both turn to see a tall guy get inside. Sooyoung immediately recognized him. But to her surprise, the guy went straight to their table and gave the woman in front of her a kiss on the cheeks.

 

“What made you call me Umma?” he asked taking the space beside his mother.

Sooyoung blinked profusely, trying to register what she is seeing right now into her mind. ‘I never thought her son to be this gorgeous,’ she thought eyeing the guy.

“Benben, I want you to meet Sooyoung,” his mother gestured over the dazed Sooyoung. “Sooyoung this is my son,” she introduced him.

“Umma, don’t call me like that,” he pouted, somehow drawing a lovely smile on Sooyoung’s lips.

Kris looked at her, “I see we meet again,” he smiled.

Sooyoung gave a nod, “Ne…”

“Looks like my future-“ Kris stopped when he felt his mother pinch him on the side.

“Benben, would you help us in choosing the design for Sooyoung’s wedding? You see, this lady is soon to get married,” his mother smiled at her son with that evident warning that Sooyoung missed since she is still dazed by the guy’s charm.

Kris noticed the design printed on a paper among the pile of magazines, “Is this the design?” he asked.

“How did you print it this fast?” he asked checking out the design.

“It’s called being resourceful,” Sooyoung replied, finally getting to her senses.

Kris smirked at her before looking back at the design.

“What can you say?” his mother asked.

He gave Sooyoung a couple of glances before speaking, “You would look beautiful in this.”

 

The two female looked at Kris as if he grew another head. “Benben, are you serious?” his mother asked.

“Ne, I am sure. She will look beautiful in this dress,” he calmly stated that made his mother doubt about his words again.

“Seriously, are you really sure?” his mother asked.

Kris sighed, “How many times do I have to repeat it?”

“Gomawo,” Sooyoung replied softly, blushing at the same time. Kris chuckled and turned to his mother, “I’ll be going. I thought it was something important. The boys are waiting for me.”

Before he left, he gave his mother a hug and waved goodbye to the blushing Sooyoung.

 

“Your son is,” Sooyoung paused, blushing, “handsome…” she whispered but the older woman heard it.

“And the two of you will look great. I have been a friend for long, but do you know that I am a Chinese?”

Sooyoung looked at the woman, “Chinese? You don’t look like one,” she thought.

“Just address me as Mrs. Wu,” she smiled at Sooyoung.

Sooyoung gave a nod and looked at the design again. Just then, her friends came into the café house. Mrs. Wu soon left them. Even though Sooyoung had many things to ask, she set it aside because her friends started to about her wedding.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

“I really can’t believe that I am getting married a few days from now,” Kris sighed leaning on the sofa after a hard day in the office. All their employees had been sending their best wishes and all since they learned about his upcoming wedding.

“Hyung, that’s reality. You just have to accept it. Besides, Sooyoung Noona is already perfect,” Chanyeol tapped his shoulder.

“Hyung, take care of her. She is not just a one night stand that you can disregard.” –Kai

“Yeah. This is about creating a family for real.” –Sehun

“You must stretch your patience.” –Luhan

“Treat her with utmost care.” –Xiumin

“Don’t make her cry or even think of hurting her.” –Suho

“Always try to put yourself in her shoes when you have arguments.” –Lay

“Always find ways to cheer her up when you see her down.” –Tao

“Never let your arguments reach the next day. Find ways to settle it with her even if she is at fault.”- Kyungsoo

“Girls are sensitive when it comes to dates so always mark your calendar and don’t make promises when you can’t fulfill it.” – Chen

“Looks like they had said all of the necessary things so Hyung, just be a good husband.” –Baekhyun

 

Kris groaned even louder when he heard their advices. “Seriously, you really want to send me in that marriage?”

“And are you thinking of backing out?” a female voice made them turn their head to see Kris’ mother by the staircase.

“Don’t even think of backing out my dear Kris,” She said, slowly descending with such grace from the staircase. She made her way to the living room where the boys are, making Suho leave the large lone sofa for her.

“Umma, can’t we just do a simple engagement first so that I can get to know my soon to be wife first?” he asked.

“That’s the thrill. You are going married without any knowledge of who is going to be your wife. It’s like you will court her but then, in the more intimate level because the two of you are married already, don’t you like that?” his mother smiled again.

“Umma, why now?” Kris groaned again.

“She’s beautiful right?” his mother asked instead.

 

Kris hesitated for a while, confirming his mother’s thoughts that her son found the girl to be beautiful. “And that comment you said about her being beautiful in that wedding dress, its real right?” his mother added.

“Umma, I only said that because I don’t want you strangling me in front of her,” Kris rolled his eyes, trying to hide the faint blush on his cheeks.

“Hyung’s blushing!” Tao pointed, all the more making the addressed one blush.

“Aniyo!” he defended but the others leaned towards him and erupted into loud guffaws and tease.

Even his mother gave a laugh about his reaction.

 

“Umma, have they met each other?” Chen asked after a while.

“Ne, but dear Sooyoung doesn’t know that Kris is her future husband,” Mrs. Wu replied.

“She will meet me sooner of course. There will be practices for the wedding so she will get to know me beforehand,” Kris smiled.

“Who says there will be practices before the wedding?” Mrs. Wu looked at her son.

The boys looked at her, “There will be no practice?” Luhan asked.

“There will be no such thing as practice, where did you get that silly idea?” Mrs. Wu grinned.

 

The boys exchanged looks. Mrs. Wu then handed them the invitation that Sooyoung gave her.

“That’s the invitation. Looks like she didn’t even bother to check it or read it. The wedding will be held a week from now. Since the bride had chosen her wedding dress, it would be set already. So for tomorrow, all of you will do the fitting for your suits and no one will skip that okay?” Mrs. Wu looked at the twelve boys in front of her. They all gave a nod or assurance.

 

Later that night when the boys had gone to bed, Kris stayed by the living room since he can’t sleep. His mother came down after a while and sat beside him.

“Kris am I rushing things too much?” she asked which somehow surprised him.

“Ne, and I really don’t understand why,” he replied.

He felt his mother lean on his shoulder, “The toll of getting old made its way on me. I just can’t wait for you to decide for you when you would want to get married. I might not be around anymore when you did and I don’t want that to happen. And what if the girl you chose doesn’t like me? Just like that ex of yours? Benben, I don’t want you to suffer in the end when I am no longer in this world.”

“But how sure are you that Sooyoung would not do the same as her? How sure you are that she will be the perfect one for me? How sure you are that nothing will go wrong when we got married? Umma, how sure are you?”  Kris sighed, his voice trembling.

 

“Trust me. Just trust me this time son; everything will be perfect for the two of you,” his mother replied, “Your Dad will arrive tomorrow,” she added before she stood up and left his son to think on his own.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

Sooyoung’s room is crowded for the night since the girl’s decided to do a sleep over at her place ‘before she gets married’ according to Yoona.

“So how do you picture your future husband?” Tiffany asked, rolling over the sleeping rug on the floor.

“I can’t picture him out. What comes to your mind when you hear the name Kris?” Sooyoung asked instead.

“Kris? Is that a name for girls?” Jessica raised an eyebrow.

“That’s what I thought too. I asked Soojin Unnie and she said he is tall, handsome and charismatic? I am not sure how that word came from her,” Sooyoung sighed.

“But I really bet he is tall,” Hyoyeon smiled at the others.

“Yes of course, he should be tall,” Yuri agreed.

 

“By the way, you mentioned earlier about Mrs. Wu’s son, you met him right?” Seohyun asked.

“Ne, and he is just as perfect as Changmin oppa. It’s just that he exudes that certain aura that would make you to just admire him. I mean I never had to meet someone like him, even before Changmin oppa,” Sooyoung sighed.

“Aw, what a waste that we didn’t get to see him,” Taeyeon pouted.

“I should have asked Mrs. Wu to just let his son marry me,” Sooyoung gave a playful smile which made the others throw their pillows on her naughty expression.

 

“Seriously Sooyoung, getting married is no easy job,” Jessica started, “I mean, you get to be tied permanently, cutting down your freedom to minimal amount,” she added.

“That’s true! And you get always find ways to please your husband,” Taeyeon nodded.

“But then, isn’t that how a wife should be? Taking care of your husband and future kids?” Tiffany looked at Taeyeon.

“Promise us Sooyoung that you will never let yourself be stressed out or get broken or beaten by your soon-to-be husband. Promise us that you will always be the strong and cheerful Sooyoung we have okay?” Yuri looked at Sooyoung.

“Always take care of yourself and don’t hesitate to call us if you need help or anything,” Seohyun held her hand.

 

The sincere smile from the girls made Sooyoung teary eyed which made them hug her. After the teary advices, they soon started their movie marathon till all of them got knocked off by sleep. It was only the future bride who got a hard time sleeping. When she was done tucking and covering each of them, she went down to make a glass of warm milk only to see her sister by the living room.

 

“Unnie, why are you still up?” she asked after making a warm mug of milk.

“I have to finish this monthly report, how about you?” she asked her younger sister.

“I just can’t sleep,” Sooyoung simply replied sitting beside her sister.

“Is everything a big rush to you?” Soojin asked her younger sister who crouched beside her.

“Yeah, up to now I can’t still believe the fact that I will soon be married,” she sighed.

“Mianhe, in behalf of Mom and Dad, mianhe,” Soojin started, “I know you don’t like the idea. Aside from the fact that we cannot take back what we had said to Mrs. Wu, Mom and Dad thinks you are old enough to really get married. I know it should be me, but then my fiancé is still abroad and Mrs. Wu is really persistent on having the wedding as soon as possible.  I guess you will be in the safe hands when you two get married. Kris proved to be a good man and seems like he can really provide your needs in every aspect. Just promise me that no matter what happen, you will always stay strong. Don’t even forget to pray when you feel like you can’t find any means of going on. Please take ca re of yourself okay?” Soojin finished and spared her sister a look.

Sooyoung seems rooted to her place, “Did you just said Mrs. Wu?” she looked at her sister.

“Yes, your husband’s mother is Mrs. Wu. Your husband to be is Kris Wu. Did you read the invitation?” Soojin looked at her sister in confusion.

 

Sooyoung’s mind wheeled back to the event earlier in the café house.

 

“Just address me as Mrs. Wu,” Mrs. Wu said before she left.

 “Sooyoung this is my son,” Mrs. Wu introduced Kris.

“What made you call me Umma?”Kris gave his mother a kiss on the cheeks.

“You two will really look good together,” Mrs. Wu whispered while Sooyoung’s hair.

 

Everything falls back into place after putting each piece of information she had. She looked at Soojin after the realization hits her.

“You mean, that tall blonde guy is my future husband?” she drops the mug of milk she is holding.