Chapter One

Perfectly Imperfect Mr. and Mrs. Wu

Sooyoung had just finished packing her last notebook when her phone vibrated. Good thing that the class had ended.

“Hello?” she answered. It is her older sister Soojin.

“Sooyoung, are you already on your way home?” her sister asked.

“Ne, I had just finished my last subject, wae?” she replied.

“Mom said you better hurry home. She has something to discuss with you,” came her sister’s reply.

“Arasseo. Unnie, would you want anything? I’ll drop by at the shop,” she stood up and slung her backpack on her shoulder.

“Just check out the boys if they are doing their job right.”

“Got it! Anyeong Unnie!” then she ended the call.

 

            With her tall slim figure, one would definitely notice Choi Sooyoung; add up her bubbly personality which can adapt to any kind of group. Some says she is perfect and all; height, figure, beauty, brain, amazing dance moves, and a perfect family. Boys also would not mind asking her out but she would always refuse, not because she hates them but because she needs to prioritize her studies first since she will be graduating by the end of the school year and good thing it will be with flying colors. It’s actually her second course.

 

            ”Sooyoung!” a call made her turn her head. She saw her friends Jessica and Hyoyeon, together with Yuri. “What’s the rush? Are you going somewhere?” Yuri asked when they got near her.

“Ne, Soojin Unnie called and said Mom has something to discuss with me. I just have to drop by at the shop to check the boys first before I go home, would you want to come?” she offered.

The girls readily agreed and together they went to Soojin’s café house.

 

            It was not actually far. It’s just a walking distance. When they got inside, they are welcomed by four boys in uniform. “Boys! It’s Noona and her friends!” one of them called over the others. The others gathered up and welcomed her, even the two who were at the kitchen.

Sooyoung let out a light chuckle as they all bowed in unison, greeting them with a very loud, “Anyeong Sooyoung Noona! Anyeong Sooyoung Noona’s friends!”

“Who are these boys by the way?” Hyoyeon asked since it’s her first time on the café.

“This is Nam Joon (Rap Monster),” Sooyoung pointed over the guy standing beside the cashier. “These 4 waiters are Jin, Suga, V and J-Hope,” she gestured over the four other boys wearing identical uniforms. “And these last two who are always on the kitchen are Jimin and Jungkook,” she smiled at the last two who gave a polite bow.

“You have a quite crew in here. I bet girls always visit your sister’s café house,” Hyoyeon smiled at the boys.

“Ne Noona, girls are our daily customer,” Jungkook smiled.

“So what can we serve Sooyoung Noona’s friends?” Nam Joon asked and stood behind the counter.

“Give them my usual, the credits on me. I’ll be off after a while. I just need to check the kitchen,” Sooyoung smiled at Nam Joon as he punches in their orders.

 

            Sooyoung followed Jimin and Jungkook to the kitchen and checked the cupboards that need to be filled before she went out to bid her friends goodbye. She hailed a cab and gave her address. While they are on the road, the cab passed by a familiar guy standing by the road and looks like waiting for a cab which left her in a daze. “Changmin oppa…” she whispered as the car moves on.

            Like all girls, she has her own crushes too. But only one made it quite deep into her heart, Shim Changmin. The guy is the absolute model or ideal guy that she wishes to marry. But then the guy barely spares her a look which somehow saddens her heart. How tragic it is to live like that.

 

            After almost ten minutes, she arrived. She was welcomed by her pet dog. “I’m home!” she greeted when she got by the door. She removed her shoes and slipped on her slippers before proceeding to the living room to give her parents a kiss.

“How was the café house?” Soojin asked coming from the kitchen, holding a tray with four glasses.

“Unnie you need to fill up the baking cupboards. It’s almost empty,” she replied sitting beside her mother.

After they are all settled down, she eyed each of them. “So why did you ask me to come home immediately?” she asked.

            The way her parent’s and older sister exchanged looks somehow scared her. “Mom, what is it?” she asked again. Her mother sighed and held her hand, “Sooyoung, how old are you this year?”

“Twenty four, why do you ask?” she looked at her mother.

“Well, I think it can be a legal age for a girl to settle down right?” her mother smiled at her.

She blinked, “Settle down? What do you mean?” she gave her father and older sister a look but they all avoided her eyes.

 

            “Mom, just tell it to me straight,” she looked back at her mother. Her mother gave one last sigh and said the very words she thought she would hear years later.

“It may be sudden but baby, you are going to get married. It’s already fixed.”

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

            The persistent tug on his blanket woke up Kris from his sleep. “Its weekends! Can’t I have some sleep in here?” he groaned, turning over.

“Hyung! Your Mother is downstairs,” Chanyeol exclaimed which made the sleeping guy fall off his bed. He sat up on the floor, “What?” he asked again.

“Your mother is downstairs,” Chanyeol repeated.

“Why didn’t you wake me up earlier?” Kris exclaimed, staggering to stand up and get to the bathroom first. “Tell her I’ll be down in a minute,” he said before closing the bathroom door.

 

            After almost fifteen minutes, he heads down with a refreshed look, but still in his pajamas. In the grand living room there wait a woman whom he respects and loves much. Sad to say, she is with his eleven friends. “Umma,” he called and walked over to give her a kiss. “Chanyeol said he had a hard time waking you up, is that true?” she asked after he settled down beside her. The boys are busy on the screen watching some random movie.

“Aniyo, I just overslept after the busy work in the office,” he leaned on her mother’s shoulder.

“Benben, mianhe for giving you this much responsibility. Do you think it’s time to settle down with a wife?” his mother asked making him and even the boys turn their head.

“EH??” they asked in unison.

“Why are you all surprised? You are already old enough to settle down. It would be good so that someone can look after you, right? Besides, I am not growing anywhere younger and of course I want to see you build your own family,” her mother smiled.

He looked at the eleven boys but they all gave him a sly look.

“Umma! I am still young and that thing can wait,” he pouted which made the others grimace.

“Hyung, you don’t look cute when you pout,” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.

“I am serious! Why the rush?” he asked again.

“Benben, your Umma wants to see little Benben too,” her mother smiled at him.

 

            He sighed in defeat. “I really don’t get why rush it! It’s like I don’t want to get married but-“ he was cut short by the boys’ loud cheers. “Hyung said he wants to get married!” they all cheered in unison. “Yah! Who told you I would want to get married this early? I am just stating my opinion,” he exclaimed but the others ignored him.

“Umma, is she beautiful?” Chen asked his mother.

“Who told you to call her Umma?” Kris eyed him, but his mother stopped him.

“Ne, she is very beautiful,” his mother smiled which made Kris sigh.

“Is she tall?” Kyungsoo asked.

“Ne, she is tall, enough for Benben’s height.”

“Is she y?” Tao asked.

“Ne, of course.”

“Is she kind and cheerful?” Chanyeol asked.

“Ne, she is a very bubbly girl.”

“Does she know how to cook?” Luhan asked.

“That one is something I haven’t confirmed,” his mother smiled.

“What’s her name?” Suho asked.

“Sooyoung,” his mother replied with such affection which made Kris sigh again.

“Woah! Hyung is really getting married!” Sehun cheered again.

“Dress up because you will meet her by dinner tonight,” his mother said which earned another cheer from the boys. The movie is long forgotten after the issue of one of them getting married.

 

“Mom how did you met her? I mean, I would definitely know if you would fix me in an arranged marriage,” Kris asked out of curiosity.

“I met her when your little cousin, Meilin, lost her way on the busy streets of Seoul,” his mother started. The boys turned off the TV and turned their attention to Mrs. Wu’s tale.

“I thought bringing your cousin is a good idea so I went out with her. But you know how she loves to explore things on her own. She let go of my hold while I was busy buying some tangerines. When I turned to give her one, she’s already gone. It took me almost two hours and a half to find her,” she looked at the boys.

“What happened next?” Tao asked in eagerness.

“I found her with Sooyoung inside a café house. Good thing that Sooyoung took her with her when she saw her crying beside their café house. Meilin’s English proved to be useful that’s why Sooyoung was able to understand her. She gave her sweet treats to make her stop crying. That’s how I met her. The next thing I knew, we are already engaged in a conversation. I would then always drop by at that café house which was her sister’s and would talk to her whenever I get to see her there. She is still studying, finishing her last loads for her second course. Brilliant, isn’t it?” she spared her son a look, but the others were the one who responded with a loud yes.

 

“That is also where I get to meet her sister and soon her parents. Of course, when I set myself to find out everything about my future daughter-in-law, I would not waste my time. The talk took almost a month of everyday meetings with the Choi family. It was hard at first to convince them, but you know my perseverance that I soon made them agree. So, I just have to wait for their daughter’s final answer because no matter how much Benben protest, he can’t back out anymore,” his mother gave him a smile with that look of warning.

 

 “Does Sooyoung know that you are her future husband’s mother?” Kai asked.

“No, of course. I want to surprise her,” Mrs. Wu smiled.

“Umma, can’t I just skip that dinner? I don’t think I can take the idea of meeting her earlier, besides there would be no engagement right?” Kris tried to look pitiful but his mother’s mind is already fixed.

“No, you will not skip that. Kris, you’re not anymore a kid that can fool around and act childish. Be mature enough and formal so that your future in-laws will not regret accepting my proposal and my efforts not get wasted okay?” his mother cupped his face.

The boys laughed at him and decided to help him fix his suit and all that he need for the night as his mother leaves to get to the café house.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

“Married? Me? But why?” Sooyoung protested backing up in disbelief. Her mother tried to reach for her but she moved away. “Mom! Why do this to me?” she cried again, tears spilling from her eyes.

“Sooyoung, we had already given our word. We can’t just take it back. Besides, we can’t send in your sister because she is engaged and the lady firmly wants you to be her son’s wife,” her mother reasoned out.

“Did you auctioned me? Why me?” she stood up and ran out the door. Her mother tried to stand up and follow her but her husband stopped her.

“Let her have her time alone,” Mr. Choi calmly whispered.

“I don’t get it why did we agreed on the lady’s wish,” Mrs. Choi replied.

“Mom, it’s not bad at all. Besides, the lady seems to be firm in her wish to have Sooyoung as her son’s wife. No parent would be that willing to take the risk on doing and pursuing our approval. I’ll talk to Sooyoung later about the dinner tonight. I bet she is on her way to the café house,” Soojin moved to give her mother a one-arm hug.

 

True to Soojin’s words, Sooyoung hailed a cab straight to their café house. Cliché as it looks but the café is deserted at that time. When she got inside, she flipped the sign to ‘CLOSED’ which shocked the boys. With tears in her eyes, she ran to one of the table and cried her heart out.

            None of the boys made a move to comfort her since they had no clue as to why their Noona is crying. After almost fifteen minutes, Sooyoung sat still, looking so blank and with visible tear stains on her face. It was Jin who approached her first.

“Noona, are you alright?” he asked, sitting opposite her.

Sooyoung sniffed and reached for a tissue on the table, “Jin, Mom wants me to get married,” then she cried again. Jin was shocked not because she cried for the first time in front of him but the news that she will get married.

The others crowded over them, “Married?” they asked.

“How did you hear that?” Jin asked the six guys squeezing themselves on the large chair.

“Noona, are you really getting married for real?” V asked.

Sooyoung nodded, still crying.

 

            The opening of the door made them all turn their head towards the door. “I’m sorry Ahjumma, but we are already closed,” Nam Joon stood up to get near the lady.

“I know but it seems like Sooyoung needs to talk to someone right?” the lady replied. That familiar voice made Sooyoung turn her head to see the woman she always talk to which she fondly calls ‘Mommy’. Sooyoung immediately stood up and ran into the woman’s open arms. The gesture made her cry even more.

 

            After her cries, the woman led her back to the table as the boys busied themselves in tidying up the café house since they will be off earlier than expected.

“Why are you crying?” the woman asked.

“Mom wants me to get married,” Sooyoung sniffed.

“And you don’t like it?”

Sooyoung nodded, “Ne, I don’t want to get married this early. Besides, I don’t even know the guy.”

The older one smiled as Jimin served some warm drinks. She gave her words of gratitude before turning to the crying lady in front of her.

 

            “Mommy, you mentioned about having a son who is a year older than me right? And that he is still single right?” Sooyoung asked, wiping off tears from her face. The older one gave a nod, sipping her coffee,

“Can’t you just let him marry me? At least I can be assured that I’ll be in good hands since you are his mother. Please? I don’t want to marry a complete stranger. In your son’s case, I can at least refer to you when it comes to him right? Please convince my mother to let your son marry me instead,” Sooyoung pleaded with clasped hands. The older woman looked at her in surprise, holding her cup midway.

 

            Sooyoung felt her tears falling again making her wipe it again as she tries to win the older woman’s permission. The latter placed down her cup and smiled at Sooyoung, “I’ll talk to your mother, but I hope you won’t regret what you said okay?” she smiled at Sooyoung. Sooyoung gave a fervent nod and moved to give the older woman a tight hug.

 

             “You two will really look good together,” the older smiled while Sooyoung’s hair.